Carry on baggage only?

Buckcruise

We will be leaving our cold climate for nine weeks of travel in South and Central America, including a 14day cruise. We will be travelling with 20" carry on rollers each.

It has absolutely nothing to do with baggage fees. It has everything to do with travel flexibility and what we can each physically handle. We have been doing this type of travel twice a year for the past four years. Works for us. Might not for others.

Yes on the merino wool. I always have a merino cardigan on my packing (or wearing) list.

If you don't or can't wear wool, there are polyester fleeces out there that are almost as good. And some look more like your "regular" sweatshirts, but weigh less and compress to less for packing.

We will be leaving our cold climate for nine weeks of travel in South and Central America, including a 14day cruise. We will be travelling with 20" carry on rollers each.

It has absolutely nothing to do with baggage fees. It has everything to do with travel flexibility and what we can each physically handle. We have been doing this type of travel twice a year for the past four years. Works for us. Might not for others.

This is my life goal! I keep cruising just so I can try to achieve it. Lol

Does anyone manage to pack using carry on only. I have only done 1 week cruises before and always had baggage allowance included in my flight. I always have too many clothes, but tend to take other stuff to cover every eventually or disaster! I now find myself on a two week cruise and no baggage allowance included with my flight. Suggestions?

All our cruises have been 14 days or longer.

There is no way we could live out of a carry-on. We don't have large carry-ons and they are for medical bags and camera equipment.

Just pay the fee for luggage for flying.

Our choice of carry on has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of checking bags. In point of fact, we have the option of free checked bags on most of the flights we take.

We would forgo this and pay extra for carry on if we had to. The issue is convenience and physical ability to manage our luggage...nothing whatsoever to do with cost.

Edited by iancal

OTOH, a second bathing suit, particularly one of a thin dark nylon like I'm seeing -- does not take up too much room in the bags.

But lots of other things dry better as Athankfulheart describes.

Take what makes your cruise easier and more fulfilling: 2 bathing suits, a little black dress, 3 pairs of shoes (!) -- heck I take knitting!

As Iancal explained -- the secret is treating your suitcase and personal item AS THE LIMIT! Fit in what you need; prioritize; make the decisions.

If you do your best and it's still more than "carry-on" allowances -- have no shame. Just pare it down to what is functional FOR YOU.

Speaking as a reformed over-packer (took two full size suitcases, roller bag, & backpack on my first cruise, which was only a 7 day!), I can attest that it is possible to cruise with only carry on suitcase & personal item bag. I decided for my last cruise that since I did not have a baggage allowance on my flights, I was going to do a 7 day with just those two bags. I did & it was so much more convenient than worrying about having to check a bag, hoping it doesn't get lost, tipping the porter, waiting for it to arrive at my stateroom, etc.

I found that it worked beautifully, had just enough of what I needed, wore everything at least once, & didn't have to drag around extra stuff I didn't need or wear!

I am planning to do a 10 day next month with just a carry on & tote/laptop bag. Once you try it, you won't want to go back to hauling around tons of luggage.

Here's how I plan to do the 10 day:

carry on suitcase:

1 pair sneakers (for workouts, wear on plane)

I pair flip flops (in laptop bag)

2 pair dressy sandals/slip ons

3 pair pants (wear 1 on plane)

3 pair shorts

2 sundresses

I sport skirt

1 black maxi dress (formal nights)

2 swimsuits

3 tank tops

1 workout shirt

3 sleeveless tops

3 thin long sleeve tops

3 bras, 7 underwear, 3 socks

Travel laundry bag, travel tote, travel towel

1 belt, 1 sleeveless hoodie, 1 gray/black sweater (wearing all on plane) *flying from cold climate*

Laptop/tote bag as personal item:

Electronics (chargers, cell phone, camera, tablet for my e-books or watching movies, iPod)

Jewelry (in small case)

Makeup (in small case)

Travel docs, passport, etc

Sunglasses

All cosmetics/medications (you'll need to decant as many cosmetics as possible for 311 airline allowances)

Most importantly, practice packing everything early to be sure it will fit and stick to only what's on your packing list. Yes, make a list of every item you'll be taking (I have never forgotten a single item I needed using this method) & then there's no last minute stress.

Viola! Perfect balance so you can enjoy your cruise vacation!

Happy Cruising!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

On Air Canada I am allowed one carry on and one hand luggage. I carry a backpack for hand luggage. There are good suggestions already in this thread. I can add a couple (keep in mind, I'm a guy so less underwear, shoes and cosmetics). Based on a 7 day cruise.

1- no soaps and shampoo. I use the ships.

2- dark coloured shorts (2) that don't show dirt and can be rinsed and dried in the sun.

3- one bathing suit. I rinse after use and hang. If it is a bit damp next day, c'est la vie.

4- formal wear, I bring 1 pair of dark dress pants to be worn on both formal nights. Open necked silk beach shirts (Tommy Bahama or similar) worn under a light coloured, summer weight blazer. It looks great and barring any dinner spills, the shirts can be worn with shorts to double their use. I can fit my tux in if necessary but that depends on my cruise at the time.

5- 1 pair of clean, dark walking shoes (I love Merrell's) that can be worn with shorts and dress slacks. 1 pair of sandals or flip flops that fold flat.

6- 3-4 nice golf or t-shirts which should all be worn twice. I don't sweat much on a cruise and use deodorant and cologne so I can get away with 2x use.

7 - only 3-4 pair of socks because I am in sandals most of time.

8- clean underwear. 1 per day plus an extra pair or two. I don't rinse undies and re-wear!!!

So, let's review. No unnecessary cosmetics or shoes (sorry ladies!). Mix and match able and rinseable clothes. Lots of clean underwear.

On my first cruise, I took a large suitcase, a carry on suitcase and my backpack. Now a carry on and backpack. Some year I'll do it with just the pack pack!!!!

And I don't care about luggage fees. I'm an Air Canada frequent flyer and can take 2 large bags for free. I just like bypassing the carousel and getting to the pool.

Have a great cruise!

I hate going home with dirty clothes in my bags. We always purchase a laundry package on the ship. It cuts down on luggage by half, we have clean clothes every day beautifully pressed and laundered, don't have to rinse and dry hanging things all over the bathroom and go home with everything fresh.

We pay $109/week for unlimited laundry on Windstar. I don't know how other lines handle it, but that $109 is wonderful. I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of it.

Have traveled the world both for business and pleasure using an 18" roll-on and tote bag regardless of the length of the trip.

Any item backed must be able to be worn with minimum 2 other items and must be abled to be dressed up of down. I use jewelry and scarfs to transform basic black pants and a blouse into semi-formal or formal attire.

Packing in a carry-on only is easy, if you just plan. You can put a ton of stuff in a wheeled carry on + a tote bag /backpack as your personal item.

- Think about how many items you actually need; for example, you might decide that you need 3 pairs of shorts and 6 shirts to match ... plus 3 casual dresses and 5 dressy dresses ... and 2 pairs of casual sandals plus one pair of dressy sandals that'll match all your dresses. By setting these limits FIRST, then picking your clothes, you're likely to get everything you need ... without going overboard by saying, "Oh, but I love this top."

- Minimize shoes. They are the single biggest space hogs.

- Someone else suggested picking up your toiletries once you're in your port city. That'll work, but I suggest ordering from Amazon.com and having them delivered to your night-before hotel. Do call ahead of time and make sure they accept/hold packages for future guests; I've never had a hotel say no, but I wouldn't chance it.

- Just plain don't bring a bunch of stuff that you won't need. For example, no need to bring beach towels, over-the-door shoe holders, thermal coffee mugs, etc., etc., etc.

It has nothing to do with a measly $25

Eh, we're not really talking about a "measley $25". You're almost certainly not traveling alone, so it's probably a suitcase for each person in your group -- at the least, $50. And then you're going to bring the suitcase home, so you're looking at another $50 for the return trip. $100 isn't "measley".

And I no longer insist that everything must go with everything else, but each "bottom" must have (at least) two tops -- then a jacket or sweater than goes over all.

My thoughts exactly. I pack three-piece "sets" ... a pair of shorts with two tops that match; once those shorts are dirty, it makes no difference whether everything else in the closet would've matched them. However, yes, the jacket/sweater and the shoes need to match most things ... but that isn't hard.

I can't imagine bringing something bulky like a sweatshirt--or wearing jeans--to a warm weather climate.

Might be that the other poster is flying in from a colder climate TO the warmer climate.

And weather doesn't always behave as it should: I was once forced to buy $50 sweatshirts for my family at Yellowstone ... the second week of July.

All our cruises have been 14 days or longer.

There is no way we could live out of a carry-on. We don't have large carry-ons and they are for medical bags and camera equipment.

Sure you can; you've just chosen not to do so ... which is fine. But it's totally possible.

We did carry-ons and personal bags on our recent Windsurf cruise since we had to fly to the port, go through customs and have our Global Entry interview at one of our connecting airports.

It definitely was nice not having to wait for luggage in baggage area and having our "stuff" with us. We used Windstar's $109 a week laundry package which we loved. If we didn't have this, I would have washed some clothes and bathing suits myself.

That being said though, I did miss not being able to shop and bring inexpensive things home with us due to not having luggage space. I guess if we found some things we really loved we could have purchased a cheap suitcase to check on our return flights.

I also missed not being able to bring our own snorkel equipment with us.

Since we live in FL and usually drive to the cruiseports, I definitely will bring my larger size luggage with us on future cruises that don't involve flying.

We did carry-ons and personal bags on our recent Windsurf cruise since we had to fly to the port, go through customs and have our Global Entry interview at one of our connecting airports.

It definitely was nice not having to wait for luggage in baggage area and having our "stuff" with us. We used Windstar's $109 a week laundry package which we loved. If we didn't have this, I would have washed some clothes and bathing suits myself.

That being said though, I did miss not being able to shop and bring inexpensive things home with us due to not having luggage space. I guess if we found some things we really loved we could have purchased a cheap suitcase to check on our return flights.

I also missed not being able to bring our own snorkel equipment with us.

Since we live in FL and usually drive to the cruiseports, I definitely will bring my larger size luggage with us on future cruises that don't involve flying.

Tumi has a great zip top tote that folds into it's own pouch and slips into the from pocket of your carry on suitcase that is great for the situation you describe. I try to leave room in my suitcase to begin with, buy small souvenirs, and have the shop ship larger/fragile things to my home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We cut out all the electronics. We only travel with small ipads. DW keeps as small camera in her purse. We leave cell phones/chargers at home.

Very few cosmetic items, fortunately no medical/script requirements, and basic footwear. All clothing is multi purpose, layered, complementary colours/styles, and easy care. No expensive watches or jewelry-only very light inexpensive fashion jewelry. I have been travelling with the same $20 plastic waterproof watch for years.

It is not just about size of the bag. Some airlines have 7KG limit. We have a small nylon beach bag. When we travel on an airline that has this restriction we put our heavier items in it and it serves as DW's purse.

Edited by iancal

Every cruise I've ever gone on I've done with just a carry-on suitcase and a large backpack. I use the space saver bags and I try to roll everything as tight as possible and since I don't care about formal night or overly dressing up, I save space by not packing things I'm only going to wear for an hour.

Does anyone manage to pack using carry on only. I have only done 1 week cruises before and always had baggage allowance included in my flight. I always have too many clothes, but tend to take other stuff to cover every eventually or disaster! I now find myself on a two week cruise and no baggage allowance included with my flight. Suggestions?

So-ooo nice to zip thru lines without luggage. Plus, EVERYBODY-almost shops in Ports of Call. World is full of Walgreens, K-mart type stores nowadays. If need be, lug a cheap.suitcase back home full of what you bought while cruising. LocoLoco1

My goal is for the first time bring a carry on and tote (personal item) for ten day stay. Tonight I i did a run through and my carry on is heavy. I do have a little room for souvenirs but realistically I will most likely have to mail things home. I have cut back and then cut back more what I am bringing. I have a packing folder and slim cubes. I

I will be flying Hawaiian and they have a carry on weight limit of 25. I am afraid the carry on might exceed that and if so what does the airline do? Will they give me problems with my tote as a personal item? I can slip the back part of the tote onto the handle of my suitcase so I don't have to carry it.

How do you pack your carry on and ideas?

IMG_0390.jpg.b1667e7029256532d49b75b12bbfaa16.jpg

I will be flying Hawaiian and they have a carry on weight limit of 25. I am afraid the carry on might exceed that and if so what does the airline do? Will they give me problems with my tote as a personal item? I can slip the back part of the tote onto the handle of my suitcase so I don't have to carry it.

I checked Hawaiian Air's carryon restrictions. They are 45 linear inches (i.e. L+W+D) for the larger piece and for which they state (22 x 14 x 9 in), but you might be able to argue 22x15x8 etc, especially if soft-sided. Remember this is including handles and wheels, which not all manufacturers comply with.

For the personal item they require it to fit under the seat in front of you. If you have a bulkhead seat, it goes overhead too, but needs to be of the same size (this is not stated but is obvious). So if your tote is soft enough to kick under the seat it will be fine.

As far as the weight, if you are over and they weigh it, you may have to check the bag.

WHAT DO I DO? My carry-on suitcase weighs 3.5lb empty! I have a handheld luggage scale; I do not go over. I pack anything electrical (including batteries) in the daypacks which I have yet to have them weigh. I do not use folders, cubes, or space bags -- although I own some of each! I think the folders and cubes add weight, and the space bags make it likely I'll end up overweight:eek:.

I use ziploc bags for organization -- quart, gallon, and I did buy some Big Bags in the 3-gallon size, although I've only used them for the 26-day transAtlantic when I put EVERYTHING in bags, and cross-packed just in case somehow we ended up having to check on the way to Florida. (We didn't.)

Our last cruise and three land-based trip since the TA, I didn't even use too many zippy bags, mostly just for toiletries, not clothes. Maybe I've gotten complacent about being separated from our cases, but it's working OK so far.

Mostly we've just pared down what we take for clothing. Although I probably pack more than the average person in terms of just-in-case medical and comfort things!

On a recent trip to India, I had enough room to bring home NINE shawls and assorted other souvenirs! I did throw out one pair of thin nylon pants whose elastic gave out, but I was totally surprised I had enough room in the cases to fit in everything from the main compartment of my daypack, so I could use that for ALL the things I had purchased.

Yes my carry on luggage is the correct measurements and I can stuff the carry on tote under my seat. I have TSA pre check so this will help.

I have a eBags mother load bag, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qslM-lTGb3o.

After I read your post I tried opening my luggage up like a book. On the right side I rolled everything and stacked items. The two things that could get wrinkled I layered on top with dry cleaners bags. No packing cubes. Then I cinched it with the suitcase belt thing and zipped the flap over everything. On the other side I have extra room for shoes, toiletry bag etc. I could zip my suitcase up and seemed like this would work.

Silly question as I have never brought on a carry on bag. When you carry on goes through TSA security pre check they open up every bag inspect and then go on to the next person? Or do you keep your carry on luggage closed (not locked), it goes through the scan and if the find reason they will ask you to open it.

Thank you for your help crystalspin!

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

I can recall only twice being asked to open up our carry on. We do not use locks. The first time was strictly random. It took two seconds.

The second time was last March in Hanoi. The most thorough airport screening we have ever encountered. They identified a nail file that had somehow slipping beneath the lining of one of our bags many years ago. This bag has been around the world yet this was the first time we had the issue. Never cropped up the four or five airport screens in that country during the same trip.

My goal is for the first time bring a carry on and tote (personal item) for ten day stay. Tonight I i did a run through and my carry on is heavy. I do have a little room for souvenirs but realistically I will most likely have to mail things home. I have cut back and then cut back more what I am bringing. I have a packing folder and slim cubes. I

I don't use all of those cubes and folders, they add weight.

Having TSA PreCheck has nothing to do with your carryons. The only thing it does is allow you to keep your 3-1-1 baggie and tablet/laptop inside the bag. Otherwise, you have to comply with your airline's size/weight rules like everyone else.

TSA doesn't open every bag - it is at their whim and discretion. I always lock my bags, daypack/purse included, if I'm sending it through the TSA checkpoint. Too many TSA clerks have been caught pilfering the bags. I usually will not move through the portal until my bags are inside the X-ray, but if there is a holdup, the smurf will bark to keep it moving. That is prime time for the unscrupulous clerks and occasional passenger to so some "shopping" in my bags. If they want to inspect the bag, I will unlock for them. ALWAYS demand that you are within sight of your bags at all times, even if they are taking them to rip them apart - it is your RIGHT and it is in the TSA guidelines. Do not be bullied into relinquishing that right.

@Cruiseoholic

In general, I pack anything that might cause them to want to see it, in my day pack (personal item). It just seems easier that way, although it is actually harder to re-arrange everything back in order SHOULD they want to riffle through it.

LAX international terminal doesn't have a PreCheck/GOES aisle for security, isn't that bizarre? And that is where we had our GOES interview?!!:confused:

So clothes only in the 22" suitcase, at least on the way TO vacation. Sometimes souvenirs are such they won't go in the daypack; once we had to check (or chose to check) -- we had bought a wind spinner in Barcelona -- as sold it was a perforated disk about 12"diameter, and as this one was a sun or star, the edge of the circle was finished with pointy points! It would have looked like a big saw blade in the x-ray machine. :eek: On top of that I had hurt my foot early in the trip and was still hobbling, so I didn't fight checking both rollers -- one less thing to struggle with.

I don't mind checking on the way home so much -- very few bags are truly LOST, usually just mis-directed. They will have a bag like that delivered to your home, when it does arrive. And on the way TO a vacation place (or port), I don't mind gate-checking so much, because I figure at least it's on the same plane!

BTW, I didn't mean to shame you out of using any packing aids (cubes/folders) you like. Organization is key! Just be aware of weight as airlines are checking and enforcing limits more and more.

Just thought of one more thing that is often recommended for carry-on only packing, that we do NOT do: Wearing your heaviest shoes, which in most cases are going to be walking shoes (if not hiking boots). We wear comfy and easy-off/easy-on shoes for the transit to either port or land tour. Deck shoes for my DH and velcro-closing SAS Roamers for me. The lace-up trekking shoes are stuffed with socks and fit at the wheel end of the suitcases. This is what works for us. YMMV

Thank you all for your input! No shaming done ;-) just gave me more of an idea on how to pack. I got my luggage scale to work so will have to try that out and plan to use clear ziplock bags for my underwear.

I received as a gift the packing folders/sleeve that are nice as they will keep things organized and dry if need behttps://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Packing-Envelopes-Clear-Assorted/dp/B001CZP2W8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484062613&sr=8-1&keywords=%2FTravelon-Packing-Envelopes-Assorted-Size I always bring extra ziplock bags just in case.

I think I will use my TSA locks to lock my luggage as it goes through security. Good idea as I was only going to bring the locks for my luggage in the hotel.

I am also looking into the USPS Priority Mail if it fits it ships boxes. If I don't have room I can mail souvenirs home.

@Cruiseoholic

In general, I pack anything that might cause them to want to see it, in my day pack (personal item). It just seems easier that way, although it is actually harder to re-arrange everything back in order SHOULD they want to riffle through it.

LAX international terminal doesn't have a PreCheck/GOES aisle for security, isn't that bizarre? And that is where we had our GOES interview?!!:confused:

So clothes only in the 22" suitcase, at least on the way TO vacation. Sometimes souvenirs are such they won't go in the daypack; once we had to check (or chose to check) -- we had bought a wind spinner in Barcelona -- as sold it was a perforated disk about 12"diameter, and as this one was a sun or star, the edge of the circle was finished with pointy points! It would have looked like a big saw blade in the x-ray machine. :eek: On top of that I had hurt my foot early in the trip and was still hobbling, so I didn't fight checking both rollers -- one less thing to struggle with.

I don't mind checking on the way home so much -- very few bags are truly LOST, usually just mis-directed. They will have a bag like that delivered to your home, when it does arrive. And on the way TO a vacation place (or port), I don't mind gate-checking so much, because I figure at least it's on the same plane!

BTW, I didn't mean to shame you out of using any packing aids (cubes/folders) you like. Organization is key! Just be aware of weight as airlines are checking and enforcing limits more and more.

Just thought of one more thing that is often recommended for carry-on only packing, that we do NOT do: Wearing your heaviest shoes, which in most cases are going to be walking shoes (if not hiking boots). We wear comfy and easy-off/easy-on shoes for the transit to either port or land tour. Deck shoes for my DH and velcro-closing SAS Roamers for me. The lace-up trekking shoes are stuffed with socks and fit at the wheel end of the suitcases. This is what works for us. YMMV

Edited by Cruiseoholic000