Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

Actually, in today's society its not a dumb letter at all. It not a very informative letter, but its not dumb.

Lets just say they do as you suggest "There was a failure of the primary control widget which led to the drive doohicky burning out a thingie...."

How long do you think it would be before the lawyers were out in force going "Based on the known operating time of the widget it is therefore forseeable that the doohicky would have failed putting people at risk and voiding the contract of carriage through negligence", even if that's not what actually happened.

Unfortunately when it comes to corporate communications nowadays, vague is the rule.

"We have full power, but will be towed to make repairments."

This is such a dumb letter. Saying everything is OK when everyone knows it's not OK is what makes people feel cheated. Losing trust is a perfect recipee to make people angry.

IMHO, in this letter NCL should have explained exactly what happened down to technical details and what they can and cannot do. Anyone owning a car would understand. I'd still be disappointed to miss a few ports but wouldn't blame NCL.

Here is hoping...we leave for the airport in two hours for a 55 hours of travel to get on this ship for feb 18th. It's hard to cancel when you are 8500 into travel costs that is non refundable. If the ship arrives on time and is fixed they better put the original intenary back together.

Here is hoping...we leave for the airport in two hours for a 55 hours of travel to get on this ship for feb 18th. It's hard to cancel when you are 8500 into travel costs that is non refundable. If the ship arrives on time and is fixed they better put the original intenary back together.

4FLUSHING: Yesterday was TWO months since this whole mess started........wishing you well, BettyNL

I believe what triptolemous was disputing was the claim in your post quoted above (about 10 pages back) that I have bolded above, claiming that they should fly an entire azipod in, not that the parts were being flown in, and I refuted that claim stating the relative dimensions of the two examples you used.

I looked back, and don't see anyone debating that parts are being flown in, and in response to triptolemous' acknowledgement of the facts stated in my rebuttal post, you answered by saying "not really, it pays to get the facts right". Again, no one disputed your statement about parts being flown, but it seems like you are disputing my facts about how large an azipod is. The only one seemingly getting their shorts in a wad is you.

I was not suggesting a whole pod is flown in together, The unit is built in modules and they could fly the required modules in. I am certainly not disputing your claims having seen a pod in the flesh. No my shorts are not in a wad (we do not do that in the northern hemisphere) just being a British I do like to get the story right without a drama. A ship has broken down and been towed to Melbourne and it will now be repaired - simples ( and no doubt a lot of lawyers will be very busy). Whether the operator handled well or not it has certainly got a lot of free advertising. I

Well yes, but no company is going to give them added ammunition, especially when the CEO signs the letter...

My guess is the lawyers are going to be out in force in any case given the inconvenience, if not added costs, this situation has caused.

Welcome to cruise critic, I am sure you will get some sort of cruise and an adventure as well. Make the most of whatever the situation and enjoy. Things will work out and some things can be sorted out later.

You seem to be critical of those people but i assume you are not donating the extra compensation they obtained for you back to them or charity?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I need that extra money for trauma counseling after having to cruise with a group of obnoxious, aggressive, rude tantrumming adults ( I use the term loosely). [emoji6]

They spoilt the cruise for so many, bullied and harassed crew and created such a negative atmosphere onboard. It was certainly human behaviour at its ugliest. But I have come back home and am forever grateful as I realize I am surrounded by positive family, friends, work colleagues and people I encounter in my daily life. Often people who have faced true adversity. The extra 50% - why would I give it to the 'out of control' adults who couldn't even try to look at the positives? I don't believe in rewarding bad behaviour.

I have donated it to kids who through no fault of their own don't have the same advantages as kids from your average background.

I came for a cruise, I got a cruise- I was happy with the compensation first given. Just My Opinion.

PS- I have always admired resilient people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by karoo

{Snipped}

They spoilt the cruise for so many, were rude to crew and created such a negative atmosphere onboard. It was certainly human behaviour at its ugliest. But I have come back home and am forever grateful as I realize I am surrounded by positive family, friends, work colleagues and people I encounter in my daily life. Often people who have faced true adversity. The extra 50% - why would I give it to the 'out of control' adults who couldn't even try to look at the positives? I don't believe in rewarding bad behaviour.

I have donated it to kids who through no fault of their own don't have the same advantages as kids from your average background.

I came for a cruise, I got a cruise- I was happy with the compensation first given. Just My Opinion.

PS- I have always admired resilient people.

Good on you.

I was not suggesting a whole pod is flown in together, The unit is built in modules and they could fly the required modules in. I am certainly not disputing your claims having seen a pod in the flesh. No my shorts are not in a wad (we do not do that in the northern hemisphere) just being a British I do like to get the story right without a drama. A ship has broken down and been towed to Melbourne and it will now be repaired - simples ( and no doubt a lot of lawyers will be very busy). Whether the operator handled well or not it has certainly got a lot of free advertising. I

Yep, I'm sure the parts required are nowhere near as large and heavy as an entire pod. More likely to be bearings and electrical and mechanical components. Still pretty large but not azipod housing large.

How long do you think it would be before the lawyers were out in force going "Based on the known operating time of the widget it is therefore forseeable that the doohicky would have failed putting people at risk and voiding the contract of carriage through negligence", even if that's not what actually happened.

Unfortunately when it comes to corporate communications nowadays, vague is the rule.

Nobody died, nobody got injured, nobody was put at risk. Missing ports is specifically mentioned in the contract. I can't imagine some going to court over missed ports.

The video posted earlier in this thread also shows that passengers aren't angry about missing a port, they are angry because they feel betrayed. Being 100% transparent would solve that. Letters saying that all is well while the next paragraph says that the ship needs towing feels like a trick played by a Turkish carpet salesmen. It's just childish to act as if there's nothing wrong. IMHO, multi-billion companies like NCL should treat their clientele like adults. "X went wrong, then Y went wrong, this is really exceptional and obviously not what we wanted. The doohicky is inspected 4 times per day but now it failed, just like your car can let you down all of a sudden. Again, we're very sorry. We will give you money, we'll arrange flights for you if you want to disembark, we can offer you strawberries covered in chocolate, but there's nothing else we can do."

Actually, in today's society its not a dumb letter at all. It not a very informative letter, but its not dumb.

Lets just say they do as you suggest "There was a failure of the primary control widget which led to the drive doohicky burning out a thingie...."

Ohhhh [emoji6] I love the part (pun intended) about the Doohicky! There must be a Whatsamacallit and a Thingamajig somewhere in this mess too ...

This thread was started after the previous one became off the topic. It sounds as if this one has now got to the same stage.

Is there someone on this thread and also on the Star at the moment who is willing to start a NEW thread telling the NEWS of the situation with regard to the repairs being done, please?

Thank you.

This thread was started after the previous one became off the topic. It sounds as if this one has now got to the same stage.

Is there someone on this thread and also on the Star at the moment who is willing to start a NEW thread telling the NEWS of the situation with regard to the repairs being done, please?

Thank you.

Apologies - I certainly went off thread with my last few comments. I'm scanning and watching the news to see if the information about departure etc has been released. At the moment though the 'Star' is looking like 'yesterday's news.'

Nothing technically specific on the repair, but sailing Tuesday?

This statement from the link:-

Norwegian Cruise Line expects Norwegian Star to be able to depart during the afternoon of Feb. 14. Arrival at Auckland is expected on Feb. 18, when the ship is to resume its scheduled cruise program.

Is not totally accurate. The passengers have been given an amended itinerary so while probably technically correct in that they will be on the NEW schedule, it was not the one they booked and paid for. This amended one misses what I would think are important ports for many; Bay of Islands, Brisbane and Bali; and it includes one that, in my opinion, no one would want to visit instead; Port Kembla.

We ARE on the ship and it is "expected to leave" early afternoon 14 Feb. About 24 hours from now. Have had no updates from the bridge in 40+ hours after being very forthcoming before that. The letter about sailing on Tuesday came from the HD, not the bridge. We will not sail if only a single azipod is functional but have no idea what the level of repair will be in order to make a decision.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We ARE on the ship and it is "expected to leave" early afternoon 14 Feb. About 24 hours from now. Have had no updates from the bridge in 40+ hours after being very forthcoming before that. The letter about sailing on Tuesday came from the HD, not the bridge. We will not sail if only a single azipod is functional but have no idea what the level of repair will be in order to make a decision.

Thanks for the update! Good luck with it all - safe travels!

Thanks for the update:D

Now that we have first hand news, can we go back to the speculation.:p