Just returned from 10-day Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Serenade

Ladydee

This was our first ever Chrismas Cruise, and our 2nd cuise aboard the Serenade, the first being in 2004. Overall, it was a lovely trip, and I have no major complaints. I'm sure that someone cruising for the first time would have been suitably impressed. However, in comparing this cruise to the ones of I've taken in the past, my group of 10 could not help but be disappointed in the direction things have gone.

The food is nowhere near the quality it used to be, and this is something we heard repeatedly around the ship. Not that is was "bad," it just wasn't great. For example the prime rib in the dining room was well-presented and cooked to temperature as ordered, but it didn't taste like real beef. It had a processed "banquet lunch" quality about it.

The nickel and diming you for everything is tiresome, and while I realize this is the new trend, it just made me frustrated. For example, there used to be an ironing room on each floor, that you could use free of charge at any time. Now, not only is is gone, but a single shirt is $3 to have pressed.

Anyway, I could go on, but you have the idea. I'm happy to answer any specific questions that I can...

We also have noticed a downward trend on meat. We mentioned it on our survey, but I don't think anyone at RCCL cares. As long as they sail full it won't improve. We just hate the way they are cutting everything.

I have never seen an "ironing room" on any Royal ship I've ever been on ?

Hmm... I thought we had one on the Grandeur years ago, but now that I think about it, it may actually have been a Carnival amenity. I know I've used one. Either way, same complaint still applies, unfortunately. $3 a shirt is outrageous, in my opinion.

Hmm... I thought we had one on the Grandeur years ago, but now that I think about it, it may actually have been a Carnival amenity. I know I've used one. Either way, same complaint still applies, unfortunately. $3 a shirt is outrageous, in my opinion.

Respecting your POV and this thread, I'll disagree with you on this one. Now if I had to have a bunch of clothes pressed and I did longer than 7 day cruises I might agree, but now we limit our formal night to a white shirt and tie, and I pack it in with everything else and have it sent out for pressing on day 1. $3 to take it, track it, and get it back to me on time is worth $3 to me. Though on Freedom in 2015 it took about an hour of my time to do it.

Going on the Serenade next May.

I know it is due for dry dock towards the end of the year.

Could you comment on the general condition of the ship?

Was on the ship from Oct 30-Dec 23. They been doing lot of upkeep while I was on. Replaced all mattresses, painting, sanded & refinished all wood trim around ship. Parts of ship will show some age like furniture but still beautiful ship. Think during Dry Dock they only doing usual marine side stuff, no major changes like 5 yrs ago.

Royal Caribbean doesn't have an ironing room that I have ever seen, but Princess does have the laundry rooms. We have been on the Serenade once in Oct and agin this coming August and while the food seems to not be of the quality it was when we first cruised with Royal it hasn't been bad.

I never saw a laundry/ironing room on RCCL, but have seen them on Carnival. As for the quality of food, we sailed several Carnival ships before sailing our first Royal ship 3 years ago. To us, the food was much better on Carnival. But we did love the Royal ships! We have been cruising since before specialty restaurants became all the rage, always having fabulous meals in MDR with exceptional service. Things sure have changed over the years! I am sailing on NCL Getaway in less than 2 weeks, for the first time on NCL, and excited to compare another line, and see how I like the more casual freestyle cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Going on the Serenade next May.

I know it is due for dry dock towards the end of the year.

Could you comment on the general condition of the ship?

I thought the ship was in great condition. I was impressed by the general maintenance and upkeep that would be constantly going on. As soon as we'd dock somewhere, crews were out washing down the outside of the ship, doing paint touch ups, cleaning carpets, etc. The public areas are all kept up beautifully. If anything, maybe our stateroom, was showing a little wear/age, but nothing serious. Its a clean ship, and with all the glass and windows on the Radiance Class, I think the Serenade is one of the prettiest at sea.

We were also on this cruise. Our deck chairs and larger table was new for our cruise.

We were very impressed with the food in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. Served crepes, fantastic stuffed French toast, and at lunch they had crab claws one day.

This was our first ever Chrismas Cruise, and our 2nd cuise aboard the Serenade, the first being in 2004. Overall, it was a lovely trip, and I have no major complaints. I'm sure that someone cruising for the first time would have been suitably impressed. However, in comparing this cruise to the ones of I've taken in the past, my group of 10 could not help but be disappointed in the direction things have gone.

The food is nowhere near the quality it used to be, and this is something we heard repeatedly around the ship. Not that is was "bad," it just wasn't great. For example the prime rib in the dining room was well-presented and cooked to temperature as ordered, but it didn't taste like real beef. It had a processed "banquet lunch" quality about it.

The nickel and diming you for everything is tiresome, and while I realize this is the new trend, it just made me frustrated. For example, there used to be an ironing room on each floor, that you could use free of charge at any time. Now, not only is is gone, but a single shirt is $3 to have pressed.

Anyway, I could go on, but you have the idea. I'm happy to answer any specific questions that I can...

I'm surprised you had Prime Rib at all. I've not seen it for a while now.

Thanks for the report.

Did you visit any port in your itinerary?

We departed on the 23rd, and had our first port on the 26th at Tortola, followed by St. Kitt's, Antigua, Domenica, and St. Maarten's. All were nice, except for Domenica. This was our second time there, and honestly, I'm not sure why it's a stop. This seemed to be a consensus of most people we spoke to, both from the Serenade, and others.

We were impressed by St. Kitt's, which I predict will be a prime destination of its own in another 5-7 years. You can tell they are really putting dollars and planning into their development.

I didn't see much of Tortola, and the family did zip-lining in Antigua, which they loved. Antigua has beautiful beaches though, which we experienced on a previous cruise.

St. Maarten's is always nice, of course.

We departed on the 23rd, and had our first port on the 26th at Tortola, followed by St. Kitt's, Antigua, Domenica, and St. Maarten's. All were nice, except for Domenica. This was our second time there, and honestly, I'm not sure why it's a stop. This seemed to be a consensus of most people we spoke to, both from the Serenade, and others.

We were impressed by St. Kitt's, which I predict will be a prime destination of its own in another 5-7 years. You can tell they are really putting dollars and planning into their development.

I didn't see much of Tortola, and the family did zip-lining in Antigua, which they loved. Antigua has beautiful beaches though, which we experienced on a previous cruise.

St. Maarten's is always nice, of course.

Sometimes there are hidden gems in the least likely of places.

Thankfully, there are different tastes in all of us. ;)

We actually booked Jewel for next year because it goes to Dominica. The

rain forest is beautiful. We once again booked the same tour again through the

ship, which is a culinary class high in the mountains with a tour of the rain forest.

Fabulous! :D It is what you make of it I guess.

Edited by island lady

We will be on the Serenade for our 3rd time this February, with the same ports. We have been to them all multiple times, and are still doing different things at each port.

Tortola: Taking Aristocat Catamaran private excursion over to the Baths.

St. Kitts: Doing Island Grand tour with Thurmon Grey

Dominica: Doing tour with Levi at Bumpping Tours (we also love Dominica, very pretty)

Antigua: Taking Cool Cats Catamaran Private excursion for the 4th time.

St.Maarten: Will take a taxi for the day over to Orient beach, it's such a beautiful one!

We love the crew on Serenade, so friendly. And the crepes in WJ are wonderful! A nice added touch, glad to see they are still there (and hopefully still there next month).

What did they do special for NYE? if anything?

Edited by debshomespun

I'm surprised you had Prime Rib at all. I've not seen it for a while now.

Thanks for the report.

We had prime rib on our Serenade cruise 11/21. We took the Galley Tour and Brunch. We saw them cooking a bunch of standing rib roast. I believe one could request prime rib most nights. It was on the menu at least one or two nights.

I have been sailing RC for many years and multiple ships. I have never seen an ironing room or self-service laundry on any RC ship.

Actually find the laundry and dry cleaning prices on board to be cheaper than at home. I would not pay to have underwear washed and ironed, perhaps other than the "all you can stuff bag" for around $30. However, $3 for a standard man's shirt is cheaper or the same as in most dry cleaning/laundry establishments here. Dry cleaning I found to be a bargain.

We had prime rib on our Serenade cruise 11/21. We took the Galley Tour and Brunch. We saw them cooking a bunch of standing rib roast. I believe one could request prime rib most nights. It was on the menu at least one or two nights.

I guess I must be going on the wrong ships.

Thanks Ask Troy.

We will be on the Serenade for our 3rd time this February, with the same ports. We have been to them all multiple times, and are still doing different things at each port.

Tortola: Taking Aristocat Catamaran private excursion over to the Baths.

St. Kitts: Doing Island Grand tour with Thurmon Grey

Dominica: Doing tour with Levi at Bumpping Tours (we also love Dominica, very pretty)

Antigua: Taking Cool Cats Catamaran Private excursion for the 4th time.

St.Maarten: Will take a taxi for the day over to Orient beach, it's such a beautiful one!

We love the crew on Serenade, so friendly. And the crepes in WJ are wonderful! A nice added touch, glad to see they are still there (and hopefully still there next month).

What did they do special for NYE? if anything?

I should've mentioned the crew too! They were wonderful! Topi is one of the best Cruise Directors we've ever had, and really created a wonderful ambiance aboard the ship.

NYE was pretty amazing. The main event was in the Centrum with a balloon drop at Midnight. Decks 4, 5 and 6 all had tables and chairs that people could reserve looking at/down onto the main floor($$$$). We secured a sofa area in Vintages (Deck 6) for our party of 10, that did not require an additional fee. At about 11:30ish the Captain and his officers came up to overlook the partying from a roped off square nearby. Free champagne was handed out to everyone.

They had a quiet laid back NYE up in the Vortex, and other goings on around the ship. I wanted to check that out, but I never made it up there!

I have been sailing RC for many years and multiple ships. I have never seen an ironing room or self-service laundry on any RC ship.

Actually find the laundry and dry cleaning prices on board to be cheaper than at home. I would not pay to have underwear washed and ironed, perhaps other than the "all you can stuff bag" for around $30. However, $3 for a standard man's shirt is cheaper or the same as in most dry cleaning/laundry establishments here. Dry cleaning I found to be a bargain.

Wow! We pay $1.75 per shirt at home. I like to touch up our slacks, dresses, shirts, etc. before dinner, for a crisp, polished look, that the fabric sprays just don't accomplish. Maybe that's just me.