Best Things to do in Nassau? Help.

Mandylouwho

The best place to find answers will be the Bahamas section of the Ports of Call forum here on Cruise Critic. Check there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Other than that, if you've done Nassau twice before, it's a great time to stay on a less busy ship to avoid the crowds and enjoy the slides, pool, etc.

We've been to Nassau many times so I wasn't sure if we should bother getting off the ship for our Breakaway cruise in March.

I did a random search for shore excursions and found an inexpensive city tour that brings you to a rum/chocolate factory. I figure even if the rest of the tour sucks at least I'll have the rum and chocolate! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I used to drag people to the Queen's Staircase and the top of the Water Tower. I don't think that's really safe any more on your own.

I do go to the Beauty Spot for my Lancôme and the Perfume Shop for good deals on a huge variety of perfumes. They're on Bay and Frederick. Very nice places to shop. Then stop for a drink at Fat Tuesday and then back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Last year I lost my favorite headband I ever owned in Nassau.

I got it at Charming Charlie in NYC. It was blue and sparkly.

If found, please return to meatball_nyc@Best Things to do in Nassau.com

That's the best thing I can think of to do in Nassau. Sorry.

What we do now is have a nice walk around the historic area near the dock, then a great lunch at Bahamian Cookin'.

http://bahamiancookin.com

Do not miss the conch fritters, Mac and cheese, and homemade fruit punch.

Next time we're in Nassau, I want to add a visit to the Pirate Museum.

But yes, it's not one of the world's great ports.

Nassau is the 7-11 of the Caribbean. Stay on the ship and enjoy fewer people.

Maybe right by the dock. There are awesome resorts in Nassau that offer reasonable all inclusive day passes. Last time we went there, a sea turtle and numerous rays swam by us as we were enjoying the water.

What we do now is have a nice walk around the historic area near the dock, then a great lunch at Bahamian Cookin'.

http://bahamiancookin.com

Do not miss the conch fritters, Mac and cheese, and homemade fruit punch.

Next time we're in Nassau, I want to add a visit to the Pirate Museum.

But yes, it's not one of the world's great ports.

where is the historic area. when i got out of port i went right and just as far as straw market and past places like cartier

i think after 2 or 3 hours of buying tshirts i went back to the ship

Last year I lost my favorite headband I ever owned in Nassau.

I got it at Charming Charlie in NYC. It was blue and sparkly.

If found, please return to meatball_nyc@Best Things to do in Nassau.com

That's the best thing I can think of to do in Nassau. Sorry.

If I find that, I may keep it. :D

Go and get a conch salad right outside the pier from one of the locals. Made fresh right on his small boat. Arawak Cay has good food. Also spent a day at Cable Beach. Very quiet and beautiful clear blue water.

The last time we were in Nassau, I booked a room at the Comfort Inn. It's right next door to Atlantis and has an agreement with Atlantis to let guests use all the Atlantis facilities. It was cheaper than booking the Atlantis tour individually thru NCL. We checked in and checked out all in one transaction and spent the day at Atlantis for probably half the cost of what NCL was offering with the Atlantis tour.

But even Atlantis, that's a one time deal for me. One day of that is all I need, it's really crowded, it has a Disney World feel to it. I don't need to return.

have you looked at the very popular TRIP ADVICE web site. They rank local activities based on real people's experience.

The last time I was in Nassau we walked to Gray Cliff and did the property and Chocolate factory tour (which included tasting). They also have a small cigar rolling room that is interesting. From there it was a 2 block walk to Watling Rum distillery for a tour and tasting.

Finally a cab took us to find lunch then back to the ship in time for sail away.

We have been to Nassau several times. Had the same opinion about little to do.

We just were there on December 24th. We took taxi to Cabbage beach for $4 pp each way. $10 loungers. Very nice beach. Even my wife likes it. lol . It's on Paradise Island down quite a bit from Atlantis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We bought day passes to the Colonial Hilton Inn. it's a short walk from the pier. Nice location, great beach, beach loungers with clamshells, pool, cabanas, bar & patio restaurant. And they comp you part of the day pass cost in food & drink.

I think the pass is $60 & they give you a credit for $40.

It was a good deal & we followed that up with some local shopping on the way back to the ship.

Just google British Colonial Hilton Nassau Resort for a Day Pass.

Cheers

How old are your three kids? If they want a beach day I agree that the Junkanoo Beach is a good option. Otherwise, if you want to splurge, there is always Atlantis. I particularly enjoyed the small aquarium within Atlantis, but I am a huge aquarium fan.

The last time we went to Nassau we did the glass bottom boat. It was very low key and cheap and different. Much better than walking around the streets and looking at the straw market again.

We bought day passes to the Colonial Hilton Inn. it's a short walk from the pier. Nice location, great beach, beach loungers with clamshells, pool, cabanas, bar & patio restaurant. And they comp you part of the day pass cost in food & drink.

I think the pass is $60 & they give you a credit for $40.

It was a good deal & we followed that up with some local shopping on the way back to the ship.

Just google British Colonial Hilton Nassau Resort for a Day Pass.

Cheers

Yep, this is exactly what we did and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Since the it's very near the port you get to watch the ships come in and out. Quite honestly, you'd never even know you were in Nassau so for those that can't find something to do and that like beaches, I'd highly recommend this one. The fact that it is very easy walking distance also allows you to be on your own schedule and not one of some crowded bus or ferry (i.e. that you will be on for an excursion).

Go to Atlantis ...... It's great. On another note, I hear so many people complain about Nassau and how they've been there so many times and/or hate it. Here's an idea, quit taking the same lame cheap cruises to the same port. Maybe save a few more dollars and go somewhere else perhaps? Just an idea ..... :rolleyes:

Go to Atlantis ...... It's great. On another note, I hear so many people complain about Nassau and how they've been there so many times and/or hate it. Here's an idea, quit taking the same lame cheap cruises to the same port. Maybe save a few more dollars and go somewhere else perhaps? Just an idea ..... :rolleyes:

Nassau is not just a port call on "lame" East Coast and Florida sailings. Some cruise lines have started adding Nassau as a port call on transatlantics, hardly what one would want. But if you want to take an otherwise great TA, you may find yourself stuck with that port, and it has nothing to do with money.