Chef's table Lumiere vs Chef's table

grouchomarx

Is there a difference between the Chef's table Lumiere offered on Regal and Royal and the regular Chef's table? I have not sailed Princess in 2 years and don't know what the deal is. The old Chef's table they would take you in the galley first, then have a seated dinner. I am wondering if the Lumiere thing includes this experience or not. And is it a lottery system like regular Chef's table or can be booked straight away? Thanks.

We have done both and the experience is the same. The Lumiere part on Regal and Royal refers to the special dining area that is enclosed by a curtain of lights once you have been seated.

We called the "dine line" as soon as we were aboard and submitted our request. We received the invitation the next day. They held several chef's tables during the 21 days we were onboard.

We had the usual galley tour along with hors d'oeuvres and champagne before going to the dining table. The entire experience was wonderful and worth the extra cost.

The only drawback was the heavy cookbook coming home on the airplane.

Yes they are pretty much the same except for the beautiful purpose built table/light curtain and dedicated area in the DR.
And you pay $20 more for that. Isn't it more fun eating in one of the MDR's and watching people stare at you and wonder what is going on [emoji6] We just did a CT on the Pacific and it was held in Sabatini's. It was interesting taking the service elevator from the galley all of the way up to Sabatini's. There were a couple of tables around us with confused looks [emoji848]

They only held the CT once on our port intensive 12 day Med cruise and there were 15 people at the CT.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

We called the "dine line" as soon as we were aboard and submitted our request. We received the invitation the next day. They held several chef's tables during the 21 days we were onboard.

Nice to know. We'll call as soon as we board. Thanks :)

We have done both and the experience is the same. The Lumiere part on Regal and Royal refers to the special dining area that is enclosed by a curtain of lights once you have been seated.

Almost reminded me of the "Cone of silence" from the old Get Smart show.

The Matre D on the Regal Princess told us that the special area for the Chefs Table cost a million dollars to construct.

So assuming that 12 diners at a time pay the 20 dollars additional to eat there rather than the usual Chef's Table setting on other ships, it will only take four thousand cruises to pay that off. And assuming that the Regal sticks to weekly sailings, that's...77 years.

Good investment!

So assuming that 12 diners at a time pay the 20 dollars additional to eat there rather than the usual Chef's Table setting on other ships, it will only take four thousand cruises to pay that off. And assuming that the Regal sticks to weekly sailings, that's...77 years.

Good investment!

I read the charge is, actually, $95 and at that rate with 12 diners once a week it would be paid in 16.8 years assuming the whole amount goes to the upgrade.

CT, like many cruise entertainment venues, are there to attract customers like any other cruise ship activity. The $1M is a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of these ships.

I read the charge is, actually, $95 and at that rate with 12 diners once a week it would be paid in 16.8 years assuming the whole amount goes to the upgrade.

CT, like many cruise entertainment venues, are there to attract customers like any other cruise ship activity. The $1M is a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of these ships.

I believe Shepp meant that with the extra $20 charge to dine in the Lumiere version of the Chef's Table, it would take a long, long time to pay off the extra cost of building the special area.

I also suggest that the comment of $1 million dollars to build the Lumiere dining area was probably a hyperbole comment meaning "a lot of money", not really $1 million.

I believe Shepp meant that with the extra $20 charge to dine in the Lumiere version of the Chef's Table, it would take a long, long time to pay off the extra cost of building the special area.

I also suggest that the comment of $1 million dollars to build the Lumiere dining area was probably a hyperbole comment meaning "a lot of money", not really $1 million.

Probably, but his post didn't read that way. Looked like he (closely) did the math. He was quoting someone who stated $1M.

Probably, but his post didn't read that way. Looked like he (closely) did the math. He was quoting someone who stated $1M.

Shepp said "$20 additional to eat there rather than the usual Chef's Table setting on other ships". I think that is pretty clear. :)

Shepp quoted 'olvrxyzh' who said the Maitre d' told him/her that the area cost $1M to construct. I was suggesting that the comment was hyperbole (no matter who posted it), not the Maitre d' reporting the exact price.:)

No need for such overthinking of the accounting:

The "Lumiere" table is a brand new feature of the newest build of ships. Whatever the additional cost of adding it vs. not--whether truly $1M or not--that money was part of the overall cost of building the ship not a separate line item.

And the cost of the food and wine served at the event is simply part of the regular food budget. So the revenue collected from the couple dozen diners each week almost certainly is recorded as pure profit on the books. Same as when those without the Soda & More or AIBP buy a milkshake or gelato--the operating cost of those stands is part of the total F&B operating budget, so any cash that is collected is not deemed to be offsetting any costs (as costs are the same no matter how much or little revenue is generated) but essentially 100% profit.

Now I am not saying the performance (or lack thereof) of extra-cost dining venues is not taken into consideration when allocating the F&B budget for each cruise. Certainly it is. But if you do the books as if each individual revenue center is a stand-alone business of course they will never show a profit on their own.

There was one other difference we noted. On the non-lumiere versions, there was more interaction with the Chef and they felt slightly less formal. On the Royal it felt more formal and less interactive. Could also have been just the way the MD and EC preferred it tho.

Loved, loved, loved the Chef's Table...amazing food.

BUT

I wish I'd just left the cookbook on the ship. The recipes sound really delicious, but when I read all the steps and special ingredients necessary to make one :eek:. Anyone want a cookbook with gorgeous pictures?

I like the cookbook and have made a few recipes from it. I always thought it was cheap of Princess not to give a copy to both a husband and wife doing the Chef's Table together. I've seen that when two women book the CT, they get both roses and copies of the cookbook. One time I saw this when two sisters did it with us (because their husbands did not want to join them). The second time was a lesbian couple. The cookbooks make a nice present.