Traditional Dining Mates-Lucky dip or mistake.

suncrab

On our last three cruises, we have always dined TD, and in all instances enjoyed our dining experience with our assigned table mates. Having said that, is it always good or has anyone ever wished they could move tables?.

On our last three cruises, we have always dined TD, and in all instances enjoyed our dining experience with our assigned table mates. Having said that, is it always good or has anyone ever wished they could move tables?.

Do TD often enough and at some point it is bound to happen that you will want to move. Like anything else, just the odds that something will eventually come up. :eek:

BTW, when it happens just ask the head waiter or maître d' to change tables.

It's kind of a crap shoot. Sometimes you get great people, sometimes not.

Unless we are traveling with friends or family, we normally get a table for two.

DH took a disliking to eating with others after the conversation turned to politics one too many times.

I know I annoyed one of our dinner companions when I stated that I was a union member for 31 years, and believed in hiring union workers, and buying from union stores. Turns out he was a contractor that built commercial buildings using non-union labor.

Oh well, such is life. ;)

DH took a disliking to eating with others after the conversation turned to politics one too many times................................................

Oh well, such is life. ;)

Ah, and there it is. Time to move. :D

"Everyone has a story" is my approach. And I have never been so disappointed by table mates that I have wanted to move. I personally steer clear of and work hard to redirect conversations about politics and religion. I ask people where they were born, about their family histories, how they ended up where they are now. About their kids, their first date, etc. and, of course, their ship experiences and plans! I focus on things we share as humans and avoid topics that are divisive. And I learn something of value from everyone.

But, having said that the pontificators and braggerts can be a challenge. And while I have stopped some racist and sexist jokes in their tracks, someone who was continually denigrating others would push me to change tables. Life's too short. Fortunately, it has never happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess the secret to our success is never discussing politics or religion with our table mates. If the conversation turns that way, one of us will deflect it. There are plenty of other interesting topics to discuss.

DH and I are in our mid 30s and we are usually assigned to a table for 2, or with other passengers in our approximate age range. However, on our last cruise, our table mates were a group of 4 ladies in their 70s and 80s. We were a little surprised by the assignment, but we definitely didn't mind. From the look on the ladies' faces when we first showed up, they were quite surprised as well.

At the end of dinner on the second night, the head waiter approached the 4 of them and said, "I just want you to know that I got your request to change tables and I'm still working on it." The ladies replied, "never mind, we're having a great time here!"

We ended up ended up having very enjoyable conversations every night and I was happy they decided to stay!

We enjoy sailing and the td assignments, but now we only do open seating. once we had a gastroenterologist at our table for 6. One individual hijacked our meals discussing his most intimate ills. We lost it when he got into graphic details of his colonoscopy! The second was a domineering bore who thought he was the lord of the manor!Treated the servers ssssooo ugly and liked to remind them they only had a job because of him! 🙀🙀

We have always been happy enough and have great memories of table mates.

One cruise we clicked so well we have joined them since for another 4 cruises.

One cruise we were on the waitlist and made the cutoff about a week before the cruise. I'm sure that tables had already been worked out and we were allocated to a table of some couple who pulled out of the cruise. This was the only time I felt that it was not the best match.

The second was a domineering bore who thought he was the lord of the manor!Treated the servers ssssooo ugly and liked to remind them they only had a job because of him! 🙀🙀

Terrible behaviour! I seen a few like that in other areas of the ships, but not in the MDR. I think that would make us move.

We used TD until after they started ATD. We now have gone back to TD. When we used ATD we always asked for a table of 6. We never had bad table mates in all the time we did TD on Princess or the other ships. I do agree though politics and religion are definitely out. Some day our number will be up and we will be asking for another table assignment. Until then though we will enjoy our table mates. One really big topic of discussion is "what I did today". It always is a good topic to discuss.

We used TD until after they started ATD. We now have gone back to TD. When we used ATD we always asked for a table of 6. We never had bad table mates in all the time we did TD on Princess or the other ships. I do agree though politics and religion are definitely out. Some day our number will be up and we will be asking for another table assignment. Until then though we will enjoy our table mates. One really big topic of discussion is "what I did today". It always is a good topic to discuss.

Another good topic is "What are you planning to do tomorrow?"

We enjoy sailing and the td assignments, but now we only do open seating. once we had a gastroenterologist at our table for 6. One individual hijacked our meals discussing his most intimate ills. We lost it when he got into graphic details of his colonoscopy! The second was a domineering bore who thought he was the lord of the manor!Treated the servers ssssooo ugly and liked to remind them they only had a job because of him! ����

Sounds like we had similar tablemates. One went on (and on) in great detail about her son's cancer...every night. Another was a nouveau riche guy who catalogued all his expensive possessions for us, including his really fancy fridge. In both cases we apologized to our other tablemates and switched tables.

We've also had people leave our table on what seemed like flimsy excuses. Maybe it was because we're a male couple; it sure couldn't have been because we're anything less than thoroughly delightful.

Edited by shepp

DH and I are in our mid 30s and we are usually assigned to a table for 2, or with other passengers in our approximate age range. However, on our last cruise, our table mates were a group of 4 ladies in their 70s and 80s. We were a little surprised by the assignment, but we definitely didn't mind. From the look on the ladies' faces when we first showed up, they were quite surprised as well.

At the end of dinner on the second night, the head waiter approached the 4 of them and said, "I just want you to know that I got your request to change tables and I'm still working on it." The ladies replied, "never mind, we're having a great time here!"

We ended up ended up having very enjoyable conversations every night and I was happy they decided to stay!

That was very tactless for the head waiter to do that in your presence. Glad it worked out for you.

As far as we're concerned the traditional dining at large tables is for the newbies & families only. We've heard all the same stories so many time over and only choose tables for 2 so we won't have to bored to death any longer. It turns all the meals into 2 hour + affairs that are of no interest to us any longer.

Of course if you're the type of person who relishes all the stories over & over again then a large table is for you.

As an agent, this is one of 4 questions I always get asked..it is very subjective, and it certainly depends upon the luck of the draw...DW & I have had some awful tablemates, people arguing, complaining about everything on the ship, etc..my personal feeling is my wife & I like to dine alone..sitting with people I don't know, having nothing in common with & most likely will never see again is not always what we want...we end up talking to other people who are also at a table for 2, like us & that's fine..also, my wife is from Peru & some of the words & terminology/slang escape her, so she sometimes feels left out..UNLESS we happen to dine with Latinos, we now opt for a table for 2..in May, we took the Crown Princess in Alaska & we were sat several times for lunch or breakfast with people who spoke no English at all, including a table of 5 family members from China, who spoke virtually no English..not much conversation there ( they seemed nice, but again, nothing in common)...we had many problems with food & dining on the Crown..will never cruise that ship again...

Big Al

We've done ATD, but prefer TD with 4 or 6.

The one time we've had to ask to move, one of our tablemates had no concept of how to politely eat food. He was disgusting.

Dropped his roll on the floor, picked it up and put it back on his plate. After the salad came, he tore the roll into small pieces, tossed it on the salad and poured salad dressing all over it and started to eat it...chewing with open mouth.

I don't even want to describe what he did with his dinner.

We left before dessert and never went back.

This guy and the "nanny" were assigned to our table on the previous Royal Princess for the 24 days "Four Continent" trans-Atlantic sailing.

This was shortly after he murdered his wife....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2762733/Utah-doctor-serve-life-prison-murdering-wife-start-new-life-mistress.html

This guy and the "nanny" were assigned to our table on the previous Royal Princess for the 24 days "Four Continent" trans-Atlantic sailing.

This was shortly after he murdered his wife....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2762733/Utah-doctor-serve-life-prison-murdering-wife-start-new-life-mistress.html

Tell us more, Chrysalis. Was the murderer good company or still "mourning" his dead wife? I always wonder about the secret lives of tablemates, but I've never imagined I might be seated next to a murderer.

Well, Chrysalis, you just topped everyone's table mates stories. I hope you didn't find out about him until long after the cruise.

Over 30 years of cruising, we've had many enjoyable dinner companions, and a very few that were just ok. With a large table, we've always been able to tolerate the odd couple.

Now I'm wondering about all those people and what were the secret lives they were hiding!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tell us more, Chrysalis. Was the murderer good company or still "mourning" his dead wife? I always wonder about the secret lives of tablemates, but I've never imagined I might be seated next to a murderer.

Well, Chrysalis, you just topped everyone's table mates stories. I hope you didn't find out about him until long after the cruise.

Over 30 years of cruising, we've had many enjoyable dinner companions, and a very few that were just ok. With a large table, we've always been able to tolerate the odd couple.

Now I'm wondering about all those people and what were the secret lives they were hiding!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We. and other table mates, were suspicious starting with the first night....no mention was made about his wife and we did not know who the companion was, except by name.

We knew where he was from, that he supposedly was a doctor and lawyer, who was recently unemployed, had 9 children, had not properly packed for the cruise (swam in St Barts in underwear), and generally seemed strange.

Did not know about murder and other such things until we were alerted to a story in People magazine, and story on 20/20, well after the cruise.

Duplicate post. So, I'll just post a picture ...

ShpP_5750_zpszu5ljpsh.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

I came very close to moving tables once (I've been on 31 cruises). The reason I didn't move is that the person who I wanted to avoid moved first.

So I don't think it was luck. I've only had one drunk for one night at the table. He didn't say or do anything he would later regret, however, it was an uncomfortable experience.

So, I don't think you've been lucky. I think it is normal to enjoy your table mates.