Day 1 on Regal - early impressions and CC!

ian441672

All points made around me not tipping - well, fair enough and I accept them! Though being suite/elite should have no bearing on it affordability wise as someone mentioned, nevertheless you all make fair points! It's just his direct attitude and the fact I had never been approached before nor it ever crossed my mind before in all the worldly ports I have boarded before (and the fact I am a Brit!), is the reason why I have not tipped. I will bear it in mind in future!

CC dining was a success tonight. We arrived at 8pm, no queues either side and were shown to our table. The menu seemed shorter than previous cruises but you still had a fair selection. I chose Caribbean shrimp salsa, and a veal ravioli with porccini mushrooms in a nice sauce while my wife had the shrimp Danielle. The extra offering was advised to us sometime after the menu was given to us, and immediately before our order was taken, so not much time to consider the Shrimp American (with mash potato!) option. If we had been given it with our menu that would have been better. I saw nothing prepared table side.

Hardly anyone else joined the area after we sat down, No one was near us and the service was excellent. The server jokingly admitted it was nice and quiet here tonight. The head waiter engaged with us and I enquired how CC was going, just after I heard him have an altercation with a non CC passenger. He said it was fine though that argument was a bit of class envy going on. "I've had 14 cruises with you, well NEVER AGAIN' was the upshot of an elite pax not being able to sit in club. The head waiter was sympathetic but explained how it was, but you could tell he didn't suffer fools. We had a good chat and I understood his concerns around it, but he thought it a good thing that would work well. Peak time seemed to be around 7-8 though they have not been busy and he has sent waiters back to the MDR to help other parts of the restaurant when quiet in CC.

Food was again of good quality. Steady, this could be a pattern that I am enjoying! Excellent taste, presentation and size. Really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, enhanced service and the banter between us, the crew staff and head waiter.

Due to bad weather, Dominican Republic has been cancelled tomorrow, all tours refunded and we will arrive in St Kitts 3 hours earlier the next day. Shame and hope it's not too windy on top deck tomorrow!

Formal night good, about 20 odd tux's on display, mainly business suits with ties, some without, and a few lower than that, but a decent turn out! The commodore didn't say too much, but introduced the crew and waterfall and made way for a pleasant evening.

So an extra day at sea, pub lunch on offer (yesss!) and will hope for a calm sunny, less windy day! Still, so far, so very good!

Extra sea days are always welcomed.....:):):)

Bob

Ian, thanks so much for your posts. I especially enjoy your experiences in CC dining as we will experience that for the first time on another ship. The "class envy" was comment was sad to hear. I guess the entitled mindset spans many generations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dear OP Ian. I'm enjoying your review, please keep it up.

One thing... as regards tipping the baggage handlers at the pier. Our cruise fare does not include their services. There are not employed by the cruise lines, so any tips are true gratuities that maybe make up for their back breaking labor.

That doesn't condone reminding anyone to tip, however. I'd like to think there were extenuating circumstances.

Maybe he, too, was embarrassed by asking for something he thought he was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hardly anyone else joined the area after we sat down, No one was near us and the service was excellent. The server jokingly admitted it was nice and quiet here tonight. The head waiter engaged with us and I enquired how CC was going, just after I heard him have an altercation with a non CC passenger. He said it was fine though that argument was a bit of class envy going on. "I've had 14 cruises with you, well NEVER AGAIN' was the upshot of an elite pax not being able to sit in club. The head waiter was sympathetic but explained how it was, but you could tell he didn't suffer fools. We had a good chat and I understood his concerns around it, but he thought it a good thing that would work well. Peak time seemed to be around 7-8 though they have not been busy and he has sent waiters back to the MDR to help other parts of the restaurant when quiet in CC

I sympathize with the Headwaiter. I guess they have already been forewarned of possible "class envy", and have anticipated, and prepared, for such reactions.

Still v windy here in the Caribbean Sea but we're surviving with some r&r in between the odd light drizzle. Pub lunch was busy in the CG/Wheelhouse and we had a just under 10 minute wait. We were asked if we wanted to share and we said we would of wait. The seating lady said that they were closing in 10 minutes so she hoped I would get a seat before they close or we wouldn't get in! 2 minutes later we were seated, so all good. Scotch Egg was meaty and I am not sure if the Americans are familiar with this dish as we're we're asked by a couple of people what it was. I had the scampi and it was fine, as usual.

We popped into a quiz area by accident and for first time joined in a team who just shouted out to us. We didn't know them but it was good fun and they were really impressed that I knew the author of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! We still didn't win!

Prior to this was the Vines wine tasting event which had some mediocre wines, and even the head waiter admitted in a roundabout way that these were average. If it wasn't free for us I don't think I would go, but the company was good. We have paid for the next one up at $25 pp. They keep pushing this new Tuscan Dining experience for $60 for Italian fine wines and dinner or something similar but we are new world wine people, plus we are still holding out for next weeks Chefs table if we are lucky.

Soul Night was a good show last night, topping off a good night with a $150 win on a fruit machine!

Tonight's CC dinner was Italian themed, though the CC staff did not wear the themed uniform unlike the rest of the restaurant. As we walked into the CC area, we bypassed around 10-12 people in the regular line. Would it be wrong of me to admit I had a sneaky inner smile that we were seated straight away with no wait! Probably, or just human! Mind you if the shoe was on the other foot I would wonder what was going on and be a bit 'why can't I do that?'. Anyway, their line soon went and we were one of eight parties in the room that started to dwindle. Towards the end I could tell the waiter staff were looking for things to do. The menu has reduced in options since our June cruise, but still a good bit of choice. The special "only available for you in CC!" was seared tuna with trimmings and this was chosen 2 or 3 times and our head waiter was kept busy! I had minestrone soup which was ok and after them not being on our last Italian themed dinner I was pleased to have the meatballs in tomato sauce and fresh spaghetti. Very well cooked and tasted good.

Food is certainly on the up, at least so far, though the tiramisu tasted better in the piazza (I thought), the double espresso livened things up a bit! Service was engaging, probably as we were the only ones being looked after, though they are all friendly and good fun.

Windy still and some tours cancelled tomorrow. Our Waitlist/sold out tour for the next day in St Kitts is now available so that is good and we have swapped that over. The comedian/ magician tonight was a bit corny but not too bad with a couple of neat tricks up his sleeve, so to speak!

So there we are. Don't think I can keep typing on my iPhone everyday for next 10 days with everything, so I will only update if anything exciting happens or any burning questions from anyone, around CC or anything else, Regal wise.

Thanks for all the comments!

All points made around me not tipping - well, fair enough and I accept them! Though being suite/elite should have no bearing on it affordability wise as someone mentioned, nevertheless you all make fair points! It's just his direct attitude and the fact I had never been approached before nor it ever crossed my mind before in all the worldly ports I have boarded before (and the fact I am a Brit!), is the reason why I have not tipped. I will bear it in mind in future!

CC dining was a success tonight. We arrived at 8pm, no queues either side and were shown to our table. The menu seemed shorter than previous cruises but you still had a fair selection. I chose Caribbean shrimp salsa, and a veal ravioli with porccini mushrooms in a nice sauce while my wife had the shrimp Danielle. The extra offering was advised to us sometime after the menu was given to us, and immediately before our order was taken, so not much time to consider the Shrimp American (with mash potato!) option. If we had been given it with our menu that would have been better. I saw nothing prepared table side.

Hardly anyone else joined the area after we sat down, No one was near us and the service was excellent. The server jokingly admitted it was nice and quiet here tonight. The head waiter engaged with us and I enquired how CC was going, just after I heard him have an altercation with a non CC passenger. He said it was fine though that argument was a bit of class envy going on. "I've had 14 cruises with you, well NEVER AGAIN' was the upshot of an elite pax not being able to sit in club. The head waiter was sympathetic but explained how it was, but you could tell he didn't suffer fools. We had a good chat and I understood his concerns around it, but he thought it a good thing that would work well. Peak time seemed to be around 7-8 though they have not been busy and he has sent waiters back to the MDR to help other parts of the restaurant when quiet in CC.

Food was again of good quality. Steady, this could be a pattern that I am enjoying! Excellent taste, presentation and size. Really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, enhanced service and the banter between us, the crew staff and head waiter.

Due to bad weather, Dominican Republic has been cancelled tomorrow, all tours refunded and we will arrive in St Kitts 3 hours earlier the next day. Shame and hope it's not too windy on top deck tomorrow!

Formal night good, about 20 odd tux's on display, mainly business suits with ties, some without, and a few lower than that, but a decent turn out! The commodore didn't say too much, but introduced the crew and waterfall and made way for a pleasant evening.

So an extra day at sea, pub lunch on offer (yesss!) and will hope for a calm sunny, less windy day! Still, so far, so very good!

So grateful for your in depth CC review.

Thank you, I'm enjoying it

Enjoy your cruise! Sorry about the bad weather.

Edited by jennybenny

One thing I forgot to mention to underline how strict they are with CC dining. The HW mentioned to me how a mum and dad who were CC, who were traveling with their daughter who was not CC. The HW was unable to let them dine together in the CC area. Luckily they understood the rules and were ok dining in the MDR. Shows how serious Princess are taking this.

Have tried to cut and paste some photos but not working from iPhone, sorry!

Wow, I can't believe you are typing all this on an iPhone. I thought that was just the case with your first post. Love the updates. You are so kind to post.

I would wonder too if people were getting seated right away and I was not. I would wonder what was going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing I forgot to mention to underline how strict they are with CC dining. The HW mentioned to me how a mum and dad who were CC, who were traveling with their daughter who was not CC. The HW was unable to let them dine together in the CC area. Luckily they understood the rules and were ok dining in the MDR. Shows how serious Princess are taking this.

Have tried to cut and paste some photos but not working from iPhone, sorry!

Obviously not a Suite/Elite/CC iPhone!

Had lovely morning in St Thomas, and Magens beach was beautiful. Fairly narrow but long sandy beach set back in a curved bay, crystal warm waters and palm trees in the back ground, sheltered by the hills. As a Brit, swimming in the sea in January was a delight!

We returned to the boat via Blackbeard's castle which was ok and then got a short ferry back to the boat. Got a good deal on drink, a nice bottle of 150th anniversary Grand Marnier Cent Cinqantenaire (?). The first shop was on offer for $195, I was brave and asked if that was her best price and would she go down to $175? She replied if her boss was here she would ask, but he wasn't and she wouldn't budge. Across the road it was for sale for $175, and I asked again and got it for $150! It worked out well in the end, and overall, some good prices for alcohol.

The boat was quiet so we decided to do something we so rarely do as we are always disappointed with it and find it messy, chaotic and poor quality- have lunch in HCB & new Bistro!

On our first day wondering around we saw it was different to previous layouts, seemed more spacious and brighter, with high level bar type seating in parts of the brighter bistro area, and the traditional buffet lay out. It was better now that you can cross port to starboard side (i likened it to the nice and hitherto imho superior buffet on Celebrity) and the layout was easier.

The salad bar in the bistro section looked appealing so we thought let's give it a whirl, one more time! TBH, we quite enjoyed it! Not sure if it is because it is Regal or they improved it in the last 6 months overall, but I sampled a lovely savoury mince beef pudding type dish, presented like a pie; some chunky lean and tender beef stew, turkey breast carved, salad, etc. To be fair, not everything looked that nice nor appealed but what I did have tasted very good, and we may even venture back perhaps next week! It was certainly more inviting and spacious. I tell you what, Regal is the way to go and any other ship is not quite the same!

Re CC dining while I remember, we offered our cruise card for drinks on our package deal last night and was told, 'we know who you are now, we don't need to see your card' which was good service, and a nice touch, and even the Crooners staff remembered our name on the 2nd night, and we only have one cocktail there a night.

All in all it feels a better quality of service all round, not (I hope) because of our status but because things are competitive out there and they have realised this and started to put things in place.

The piazza terrace is v spacious and we tried the new tea leaf service which was nice, though I could tell they haven't prepared many as I was telling him what to do! It's a shame come 5pm when we were having tea that there was no musicians or entertainment down there as it was busy. Lovely sweets and savouries and that's where they have the edge over Celebrity where they charge for the nice savouries but it is free here.

Concierge lounge still very helpful and attentive. We skipped Sabatinnis this morning as we had an earlier start and we were stuffed after last night, so I popped in there, got some oj, coffee, pastries and it was all good and saved going down 10 decks or so to pick up the same in the piazza.

Weather calmer, sunnier and we might get up to top deck tonight to look at the fountain show, another new thing for us, before dinner, then there is a Caribbean party sail away at 9.30pm. Caribbean Princess was in dock today but left at 4pm, along with NCL and the amazing Oasis of the Sea - looked very majestic and grand.

St Kitts tomorrow for a full day tour so an earlier start before 2 sea days and then returning to FLL and then our second week starts!

All good so far, no problems. Happy days :).

Had a lovely Sabatinnis breakfast, pushing the boat out with 2 Mimosas! Booked our future cruise for next year, our 'special' birthday, treating ourselves to the Owners Suite around the Med for 2 weeks! I asked the lady about the size of the suites and she confirmed they were more 'intimate (very tactful) and that the balconies were two feet narrower than other ships, to maximise passenger satisfaction outside the stateroom. At least that satisfied my curiosity and I was right!

Windy but warm in the top deck, time for a drink! Look forward to CC dining tonight.

If you are on the Regal or Royal next year, they are actually doing away with the Owner's Suite designation. However, if it is those same cabins, they are aft and they have wonderful wrap around balconies. The balcony sizes though vary significantly by deck. We were in one on Aloha deck and the balcony was very narrow and the chaise lounges were sideways - toe to toe. But other decks (such as Dolphin) have very wide balconies. The deck plan in the atlas does show which decks have the wider deck and I would recommend that you go for one of those if available. Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise on the Regal!

Thanks for the information. I am a little concerned about the crowding on the ship. We'll be doing a TA this year, and a crowded ship won't be much fun. Oh well, I'll find some way around it if need be. :)

It feels less crowded than the Grand, Golden and Emerald

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My DH and I received extremely good service on our October 2016 cruise on the Regal.

We were complimentary upgraded from a Deluxe Balcony cabin to a mid ship Mini Suite with an extended balcony.

I think the exemplary service was given to us because of the excellent level of ship-wide service to the passengers.

We are Platinum level, were not in a full suite and did not have CC perks because that program did not exist at the time. So, our "status"with Princess was ,most likely,not the reason for such service. It is purely the level of service on that particular ship.

Kudos to the Regal Princess staff and crew for providing an excellent cruise experience !

On another note,you certainly did score a bargain price ($150.00) for the liquor purchased in St.Thomas.