Just off Brilliance- credit card hacked

webteach

I would call Royal Caribbean post cruise, but also there are ways to get the number while travelling through the airport, taxi, ports etc by scanning them. The best protection is a secure RFID wallet.

We just had our card compromised AGAIN - I use it for everything so I get points - and this time they made an online charge and had my 3 digit security code. I'm pretty sure it was copied when we went to lunch the afternoon before at a chain restaurant, but I can't prove it. An RFID sleeve wouldn't do any good that that kind of theft.

Previous attempts for online purchases were declined and the card cancelled because although they had our number, they did NOT have the code.

I find the legality of this a bit fascinating. How long can they actually delay/hold you from getting off the ship? They surely can't hold you for payment. At what point would a forced delay turn into false imprisonment?

I work in law enforcement and it's a complicated issue. If you have a contract and simply fail to fulfill it, that's a civil issue. For it to be criminal you have to prove intent to defraud. We run in into it on both sides: businesses that take a deposit and fail to do the work and people who use a service and fail to pay the bill. In general, if there is zero attempt to pay, such as taking a cab or eating in a restaurant and running out on the bill, it will be criminal. The other way it can be criminal is if I can prove you never intended to pay such as using a check on a closed account (not simply insufficient funds). I would think that if you closed the account the credit card account to avoid paying a bill that would work, but I would have to prove u closed the account, not simply that the bank closed it for fraud. And of course you would have to be given the opportunity to pay. No one wants to take someone to jail over a misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you able to use your card online at other websites? I'm curious as some credit card companies are moving towards the use of virtual one-time-use numbers and such for online purchases.

"Unfortunately" for the DH...I have no trouble at all using my

credit card for any other online purchases. ;) :D

I also use the RCI website to pay off my cruises with my

credit card. It's just the online check in to set up my

sea pass account I can't seem to enter.

Edited by island lady

Perplexed as to why this thread is still going ?

The OP "Webtech" posted on 1/10/17 that they were getting of the ship the next day which would have been 1/11/17. Being that this is now 1/13/17 and OP hasn't posted since 1/10/17, it's reasonable to assume all worked out and RCCL was able to charge to the new account by OP calling the CC company from Guest services.

BUMP. Lol.

The thread is still going because a discussion started on a discussion forum and people were partaking in a discussion. You certainly can skip it if you aren't interested in discussing the topic.

sanger, thanks for the update. As I figured, intent has to be proven and it's not always black and white.

• 2 weeks later...

This just recently happened to me the week before christmas at our local mall, I got an email alert from my bank saying my acct was overdrawn and I knew there was plenty of money in there. So upon checking my acct to see what had happened, it was overdrawn more then $700. I called my bank and we went through all my purchases and there was 1 for over $700 which was done online to a company in vermont, I live far away from vermont. I knew exactly where I had been shopping days before and the lines were long. Anyway, someone had a pocket skimmer and got my bank acct card number. 1st time this has ever happened to me. Luckily the bank saw they were trying to make purchases 3 more times but the card had been flagged and my acct was credited back including any and all fee's. Never found out if they caught who did it but we know they purchased expensive skii equipment. Makes me leary of ever carrying any cards with me now.

Fortunately Chase fraud dept caught it after purchases at Target.com and Walmart.com. BestBuy.com was next - for $1400!!! Tried Apple.com, also.

I know this is from the cruise because I only use this credit card for travel and Brilliance charges were all it was open for.

Anyone else have this experience?

just today someone try charging on our card, the only time it was in the last 90 days was to book two cruise in the in the past 3 weeks.

BOA sent a email asking us if we had made these 4 charges

Perplexed as to why this thread is still going ?

This from someone who has been on CC for 8 years? Maybe you have not noticed that is the norm around here - people chime in on a thread well after the initial issue has been resolved.

And you know this how?:confused:

Thats what the bank said could of happened because I never use my bank card for anything and my card hadn't been used since I got it, I always use my paypal card. The bank says this happens a lot during the holidays and in my area there had been several reports of it happening around the time it happened to me.

Luckily the bank saw they were trying to make purchases 3 more times but the card had been flagged and my acct was credited back including any and all fee's. Never found out if they caught who did it but we know they purchased expensive skii equipment. Makes me leary of ever carrying any cards with me now.

Carrying your cards, and using it online have the same risks. You just have to be wary when using them.

I find the legality of this a bit fascinating. How long can they actually delay/hold you from getting off the ship? They surely can't hold you for payment. At what point would a forced delay turn into false imprisonment?

Yes, I've seen someone kept from leaving the ship. We were on a B-2-B and our next cabin still contained the suitcases of a young couple who had not yet left the ship as of 10:30 a.m. on disembarkation day. They were still at Guest Services trying to call around to family and friends trying to find someone who could help them pay off their on-board charges because they had maxxed their credit card. And this is not hearsay, because we went down to Guest Services to ask about the strange luggage in our cabin and the couple was standing right there looking very stressed and making phone calls.

Our cabin steward finally put their suitcases out in the hall so we could move in.

Makes me leary of ever carrying any cards with me now.

This is exactly why you should carry cards! And it's best to use actual credit cards, not your bank/debit card.

I use my business cards a lot, so naturally fraud pops up here and there. It's about a 5 minute phone call to clear up, no liability what-so-ever. It's a great thing.

We always call credit card company with our travel dates. Let them know the day and port or city we will be in and when we return. This way they can stop anything that doesn't look right. We keep different cards for internet and travel.......................RADICAL

Always do this and did it with Amex before our Anthem cruise last summer. Called back a week later and confirmed they had the dates and ports. Hit a sale at Ralph Lauren on my way to CVS in San Juan, and my CC was declined. Fortunately had another CC with me, but I found the experience humiliating and annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Forums