Just off Brilliance- credit card hacked

webteach

Fortunately Chase fraud dept caught it after purchases at Target.com and Walmart.com. BestBuy.com was next - for $1400!!! Tried Apple.com, also.

I know this is from the cruise because I only use this credit card for travel and Brilliance charges were all it was open for.

Anyone else have this experience?

How many ports did you visit during the cruise? And how many times did you used it for payments?

We've had our credit cards hacked and the numbers stolen so many times I forget how many! It's one of the hazards of using plastic, especially online.

So, I set up instant email alerts if a charge goes through for over $1. Since I can check my email from my iphone, I can see within a minute to a few hours if something was charged.

The banks are more vigilant now with international charges, too. I got a new NCL credit card, and was charging the tours and tickets on it to reach the amount for a $150 obc, and Bank of America wouldn't let the first charge go through. I didn't realize you have to call them to let them know you are using it for international purchases online. It would have been very convenient if they had LET ME KNOW!! I had to tell them to unblock it, as I get all the charge alerts in my email, anyway.

Fortunately Chase fraud dept caught it after purchases at Target.com and Walmart.com. BestBuy.com was next - for $1400!!! Tried Apple.com, also.

I know this is from the cruise because I only use this credit card for travel and Brilliance charges were all it was open for.

Anyone else have this experience?

It could have also been an in line security breach. In today's technological age fraud is very common and probably happened in a way you didn't even think of.

I work for a credit union and have spent time in the fraud dept. My own card was compromised and I was called asking if I had purchased Kentucky Fried Chicken in PARIS FRANCE!!! I laughed and said if I was in Paris I wouldn't be eating KFC.

Credit card companies close out the account and write the amount off as a loss unless it's an astronomical amount and then there is a lengthy research process. Mostly it's a nominal amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Assuming that the card is ONLY used for the on-board spending, and no other place...

The only time the card is actually scanned in full is during embarkation. That's it. Even when you check in on line, it's only 4 digits. The only other opportunity that eyes could have seen the credit card number is when you go the Next Cruise desk- but I've not seen their screen if they can see the whole thing or not.

And IIRC, the people who do embarkation do not actually work for the cruise lines, they work for the port.

None the less, you should send notes the RCI telling them there is an issue with someone at the port.

We had an airline charge on one of husbands cards and noticed it on the bill, we immediately called the credit card company to dispute the charge since my husband had never left town. He received a new card. Before we leave for any trip, we notify all our credit card companies & bank of our travel plans

Assuming that the card is ONLY used for the on-board spending, and no other place...

The only time the card is actually scanned in full is during embarkation. That's it. Even when you check in on line, it's only 4 digits. The only other opportunity that eyes could have seen the credit card number is when you go the Next Cruise desk- but I've not seen their screen if they can see the whole thing or not.

And IIRC, the people who do embarkation do not actually work for the cruise lines, they work for the port.

None the less, you should send notes the RCI telling them there is an issue with someone at the port.

RCCL has changed the on-line check in process. RCCL now requires you to enter the complete credit card number. Your credit card is no longer being swiped at the port. It's not just the last 4 digits anymore.

RCCL has changed the on-line check in process. RCCL now requires you to enter the complete credit card number. Your credit card is no longer being swiped at the port. It's not just the last 4 digits anymore.

I just checked in a month ago, and don't recall putting the whole number in. And our CC was still needed at the port.

I'll check again when I check in for next month soon.

I think the older ships still check in the same.

I just checked in a month ago, and don't recall putting the whole number in. And our CC was still needed at the port.

I'll check again when I check in for next month soon.

I think the older ships still check in the same.

I don't know how many other ships this applies to, but when we cruised on Explorer last year, we had to put in the entire CC number. However, online check-in for a different ship a month ago only wanted the last 4 digits.

My husband travels extensively for work and his cc has been hacked many times over the years. We were on a HAL cruise a couple of years ago and our card was compromised and Citibank immediately took care of it. Since it was used on the ship and in port, we didn't know who had stolen the number and frankly, I don't care. It can happen anywhere, anyplace. It's just the world we live in.

If you are still onboard and the card is no longer valid count on a delay getting off the ship. Your account will be flagged and security will stop you when you go through the kiosk during disembarking. You will be sent back to Guest Services to pay your bill. Better to get it straightened out before disembarking.

I find the legality of this a bit fascinating. How long can they actually delay/hold you from getting off the ship? They surely can't hold you for payment. At what point would a forced delay turn into false imprisonment?

As for the credit card fraud. It's hard to pinpoint this to RCCL, regardless of how "obvious" it may be. I own a couple of businesses and we get accused of stealing a credit card number from someone at least a couple of times per year. The person is 100% certain of it.... except they input their number online, we don't capture it, nor would anyone have access to the number at any point or in any database.

I try not to overthink it or start throwing out accusations. It's such a non-issue and why I use a credit card instead of a debit card. You just report the fraud, they whack the fraudulent charges and off you go. It's about a 10 minute phone call.

I find the legality of this a bit fascinating. How long can they actually delay/hold you from getting off the ship? They surely can't hold you for payment. At what point would a forced delay turn into false imprisonment?

As for the credit card fraud. It's hard to pinpoint this to RCCL, regardless of how "obvious" it may be. I own a couple of businesses and we get accused of stealing a credit card number from someone at least a couple of times per year. The person is 100% certain of it.... except they input their number online, we don't capture it, nor would anyone have access to the number at any point or in any database.

I try not to overthink it or start throwing out accusations. It's such a non-issue and why I use a credit card instead of a debit card. You just report the fraud, they whack the fraudulent charges and off you go. It's about a 10 minute phone call.

If you don't produce payment you will be taken off the ship by local law enforcement and charged. It would be no different than shop lifting, but if the amount is high enough it would be a felony and you can be arrested for doing it, and booked, this would be no different.

Edited by skyking

If you don't produce payment you will be taken off the ship by local law enforcement and charged. It would be no different than shop lifting, but if the amount is high enough it would be a felony and you can be arrested for doing it, and booked, this would be no different.

Do you know this as a fact or seen it happen?

I don't think it would fall within "shoplifting" as they extended credit to you during the cruise. You don't get taken to jail when you fail to pay your credit card. I would think they have to let you go right away and you just end up in collections.

Edited by BNBR

Don't know what led up to the following incident I observed on a ship docking at PC.

Two guests were at the Guest Services desk and were unable to pay their Super Bill prior to departure. They were offered to sign a promissory note to settle.

They refused to do this and were taken of the ship by Brevard County Sheriff's deputies.

Don't know what led up to the following incident I observed on a ship docking at PC.

Two guests were at the Guest Services desk and were unable to pay their Super Bill prior to departure. They were offered to sign a promissory note to settle.

They refused to do this and were taken of the ship by Brevard County Sheriff's deputies.

Interesting. This topic could be way too deep in a legal discussion... so I won't drive it that far off topic. But appreciate you sharing that experience. It's about as I expected. It's basically credit and they'll deal with it through the normal channel (collections, etc.)

I am curious about the actual charges for refusing to sign a promissory note. But I think that would just be speculation at this point.

Do you know this as a fact or seen it happen?

I don't think it would fall within "shoplifting" as they extended credit to you during the cruise. You don't get taken to jail when you fail to pay your credit card. I would think they have to let you go right away and you just end up in collections.

Walking out of shop/restaurant/ship without paying is not the same as not paying your credit card bill.

Walking out of shop/restaurant/ship without paying is not the same as not paying your credit card bill.

I learned long ago not to make assumptions - especially when it comes to the law. It's not always as you might expect.

But it's most probable that it's handled like any other hotel. And even that isn't always clear. Defrauding an innkeeper, theft of services, etc. Would an officer make an arrest at the cruise port or simply file a report - civil debt? I'm not sure. Wish someone knew the exact process. But anyways...

I learned long ago not to make assumptions - especially when it comes to the law. It's not always as you might expect.

But it's most probable that it's handled like any other hotel. And even that isn't always clear. Defrauding an innkeeper, theft of services, etc. Would an officer make an arrest at the cruise port or simply file a report - civil debt? I'm not sure. Wish someone knew the exact process. But anyways...

Give it a try next cruise and let us know how it works out. :)

I don't know how many other ships this applies to, but when we cruised on Explorer last year, we had to put in the entire CC number. However, online check-in for a different ship a month ago only wanted the last 4 digits.

I am having problems with all of my online check ins now. I can't set up my credit card

account, as I have always done in the past. I enter the information, but it won't click in.

I have to set up a cash account.

When I get to the terminal I give the card and information at that time, no problem

then. Not sure why the online process is not working for me.

Edited by island lady

I am having problems with all of my online check ins now. I can't set up my credit card

account, as I have always done in the past. I enter the information, but it won't click in.

I have to set up a cash account.

Are you able to use your card online at other websites? I'm curious as some credit card companies are moving towards the use of virtual one-time-use numbers and such for online purchases.

Any person who obtains food, lodging, or other accommodations having a value of less than $300 at any public food service establishment, or at any transient establishment, with intent to defraud the operator thereof, is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083; if such food, lodging, or other accommodations have a value of $300 or more, such person is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Any person who obtains food, lodging, or other accommodations having a value of less than $300 at any public food service establishment, or at any transient establishment, with intent to defraud the operator thereof, is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083; if such food, lodging, or other accommodations have a value of $300 or more, such person is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

You have to prove "intent to defraud." That's where it gets tricky. I imagine this is why when a person refused to sign a promissory note, they were taken by the police. Failure to sign the note could show intent to defraud. But if you are simply unable to pay due to card being declined, reasonable access to cash, etc. That may not qualify as intent to defraud. In which it becomes a civil lawsuit/collections/debt case? This sounds logical considering the cruise just asks that you sign a promissory note and lets you go - showing that you intend to pay your debt.