What would happen if.....

troykahack

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POST.

From Senator Rubio's questions of Rex Tillerson, it sounds as if the relaxing of Cuba relations will be terminated and any bill brought forth to open access will be vetoed. This is subject to change as always..

But what would happen to all those already booked on Royal to Cuba? Would they continue the cruise and just pass on any port in Cuba or cancel the cruise?

From Senator Rubio's questions of Rex Tillerson, it sounds as if the relaxing of Cuba relations will be terminated and any bill brought forth to open access will be vetoed. This is subject to change as always..

But what would happen to all those already booked on Royal to Cuba? Would they continue the cruise and just pass on any port in Cuba or cancel the cruise?

I recognize the validity of the question and your disclaimer. I do like this has been a politics free zone to a reasonable extent. I am one of the watch others do it first type person and was thinking of booking Cuba in 2019.

I have already suspected that Royal Caribbean considers this a very real possibility. The Empress of the Seas originally had many sailings throughout the end of the year that included Cuba; all of the EOS sailings after May have now been removed from the system. I think they are in wait-and-see mode.

If the passenger is a US citizen, they must participate in a "cultural program"...and from what I have heard they take up the vast majority of the day...if they are not going to Cuba for one of the few legal reasons.

People need to remember, the sanctions and restrictions in place with Cuba were put into place by an act of Congress...and therefore can only be lifted by an act of Congress. The steps Obama made to re-establish relations may continue...but might not. Most even doubt Congress will fund an US embassy.

That is why, until Congress repeals everything, we will not even consider a cruise that stops there.

If the passenger is a US citizen, they must participate in a "cultural program"...and from what I have heard they take up the vast majority of the day...if they are not going to Cuba for one of the few legal reasons.

People need to remember, the sanctions and restrictions in place with Cuba were put into place by an act of Congress...and therefore can only be lifted by an act of Congress. The steps Obama made to re-establish relations may continue...but might not. Most even doubt Congress will fund an US embassy.

That is why, until Congress repeals everything, we will not even consider a cruise that stops there.

Your correct, Congress has not repealed their sanctions and restrictions. It was a EO by current administration that is likely to be overturned in two weeks. Tillerman seems to indicate that any bill brought before the new administration would be vetoed.

Edited by troykahack

Not sure I agree with you. This was an Executive Order by our current administration, not over turning Congress. I would be as simple as the next administration over turning the EO.

You are correct in that an Executive Order is what Obama used...and that it can be reversed immediately. Some feel the EO overstepped his constitutional authority (I think there might even be a court case that was started...not sure) but it may very well be moot.

However, travel restrictions and sanctions were put in place by Congress and no EO can reverse Congress...at least per the US Supreme Court.

In my opinion, any company that made plans related to travel to Cuba jumped the gun. Getting in early can be good...but having a lot of cost that cannot be recovered is dangerous. Some will even argue that loses to Cuba resulting from a reversal may not be deductible on US taxes because they were made knowing they could violate the law.

You are correct in that an Executive Order is what Obama used...and that it can be reversed immediately. Some feel the EO overstepped his constitutional authority (I think there might even be a court case that was started...not sure) but it may very well be moot.

However, travel restrictions and sanctions were put in place by Congress and no EO can reverse Congress...at least per the US Supreme Court.

In my opinion, any company that made plans related to travel to Cuba jumped the gun. Getting in early can be good...but having a lot of cost that cannot be recovered is dangerous. Some will even argue that loses to Cuba resulting from a reversal may not be deductible on US taxes because they were made knowing they could violate the law.

Trying real hard to avoid a political opinion.....

It seems to me the new Administration will cancel the current Administrations EO on Cuba. Just what does that do to Royal Cuba bookings?

Edited by troykahack

Trying real hard to avoid a political opinion.....

It seems to me the new Administration will cancel the current Administrations EO on Cuba. Just what does that do to Royal Cuba bookings?

From the US Embassy in Cuba web site:

"Travel to Cuba for tourist activities remains prohibited by statute. However, the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has issued general licenses for 12 categories of travel. Individuals who meet the regulatory conditions of the general license they seek to travel under do not need to apply for an additional license from OFAC to travel to Cuba. The 12 categories of authorized travel to Cuba are: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials; and certain authorized export transactions."

Those are the only reasons a US citizen can legally travel to Cuba.

"Travel to Cuba for tourist activities remains prohibited by statute. However, the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has issued general licenses for 12 categories of travel. Individuals who meet the regulatory conditions of the general license they seek to travel under do not need to apply for an additional license from OFAC to travel to Cuba. The 12 categories of authorized travel to Cuba are: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials; and certain authorized export transactions."

Ok. But that was by EO from current administration. What if new administration null and voids?? All indications from today's hearings are new administration will void EO and then consider current bill in congress.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have already suspected that Royal Caribbean considers this a very real possibility. The Empress of the Seas originally had many sailings throughout the end of the year that included Cuba; all of the EOS sailings after May have now been removed from the system. I think they are in wait-and-see mode.

This has been mentioned in other threads - the initial approval by the Cubans was limited to May. All future sailings have to be approved by them - unlikely the hold up will be from the US/RCI end.

And that was permitted by Executive Order, which is not law. New Administration can cancel with the same stroke of the pen that created it. Curious to see what the new Administration will do. In the hearings today, it appears a veto would be made of any bill coming to the new president to open Cuba until study is made where the money goes. Tillerson seemed to indicate if it went to the Government of Cuba, travel for US Citizens would be PROHIBITED.

The same thing will happen on this cruise, RE: Cuba---- that happens on any and ALL cruises IF any port is deemed dangerous.... whether its weather,

or political unrest. ANYTHING the capt. or the cruise line feels is 'dangerous'

will result in the port being cancelled.

Some other port will be substituted or you'll get extra at sea days.

ENJOY a Great trip !

I thought the cruises to Cuba were very expensive, especially considering the size and age of the ship. If the Cuba cruises are cancelled, I hope the people who already booked at high rates will be given the option to cancel instead of switching to an altered itinerary at the same rates.

I thought the cruises to Cuba were very expensive, especially considering the size and age of the ship. If the Cuba cruises are cancelled, I hope the people who already booked at high rates will be given the option to cancel instead of switching to an altered itinerary at the same rates.

That was the drift of my question.

Also, what would others guess would happen to Empress. She was brought back to do these Cuba Cruises but Royal never guessed things would turn out this way. What about the crew that signed up for this ship. Not sure Royal has room for her in Miami during the winter months. Any ideas??

It's clear from today's hearings, until such time as US can determine the monies don't go to the Cuba Government, they will not lift the ban and likely to resend the EO shortly after administration change.

Edited by troykahack

That was the drift of my question.

Also, what would others guess would happen to Empress. She was brought back to do these Cuba Cruises but Royal never guessed things would turn out this way. What about the crew that signed up for this ship. Not sure Royal has room for her in Miami during the winter months. Any ideas??

It's clear from today's hearings, until such time as US can determine the monies don't go to the Cuba Government, they will not lift the ban and likely to resend the EO shortly after administration change.

It's all speculation of course but I'm betting there's still a market for Empress at a reduced fare. Isn't the latter question rhetorical? There's no way the monies are not going to the government.

It's all speculation of course but I'm betting there's still a market for Empress at a reduced fare. Isn't the latter question rhetorical? There's no way the monies are not going to the government.

Just trying to paraphrase what I heard in the exchange with Sen Rubio and Sen Menedez and Nominee Tillerson.

If things fall through for Cuba, and Miami can't handle her, she can come up to Baltimore, or better yet do longer Panama Canal cruises.

I bet they send her back to Pulmantur (or otherwise get rid of her) if Cuba falls through.

We are booked on the seven day cruise advertised as a Yucatán peninsula and Havana cruise. We booked within hours of the release and have a fair price, however a bit on the high side. The prices jumped considerably. With what we paid, if the cruise does not make a stop in Havana, we would be very annoyed if not able to cancel or receive some significant compensation. This cruise runs about double the price of any seven night Caribbean cruise.

Yes I know many will tell me that the cruise line has the option to alter the itinerary, but I will go out on a limb and say that everyone who booked that cruise only booked it because of the stop in Havana.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1