Are drinks really that expensive now?

mjonis

So it's been a while since I've been on RCI (as you can see). But coming back from an MSC cruise, I was impressed by how cheap the drinks were (even cheaper if you got the coupons). But we won't go into details about the rest (don't want to get into an MSC vs. RCI, but let's just say I won't be doing MSC again).

Anyway, I saw someone posted drink price menus for RCI and I found a few that listed the cocktails I like and was shocked that it's $13 for a cosmo?!! (Plus 18% gratuity of course).

Or does pricing vary per bar/ship?

I'd get the drink package but it's way overpriced, IMO, for what i drink (what, like $60/day plus the 18% gratuity). 3-4 drinks/day, but then again at $13/drink ...eesh.

YES drink prices have increased in the past 3-4 years. Most of your menu items, which are limited are expensive. $10-$13 each plus tip. If you buy a rum and coke or vodka cranberry with Well liquors you will save a little money but not much. If you have more than 4 drinks a day which is fairly easy on a sea day, Get the drink package.

The break even point is usually at 5+ drinks, but depends on the kind of drinks and any discounts on the package.

If you can get the $46 deluxe it's more like 4+ to break even. At least that was my research in November on Allure. I was even by noon most days.

In addition to the typical inflation on drink prices they also raised the gratuity a while back by 3% and it's automatically added so it's, essentially, a part of the price. I wouldn't be surprised to see the gratuity go to 20% soon (I'm not in charge of Rumor Control and I haven't heard anything, it just wouldn't surprise me).

I think RCI decides who benefits from the automatic gratuity. So, I just consider it part of the price of the drink and if I want to reward the server or bartender I bring extra $1's to put right into their hands. Even then I don't know if there's someone in the back room going through they pockets as they walk through the door :rolleyes:

Point: raising the gratuity is another way to raise the cost of the drinks without having to say the drinks cost more.

Tom

Royal and their drink prices are making it really hard for me to book with them instead of Celebrity for next year.

The cruise I want on Royal would cost us almost $1200 for drink packages (9 nights, no assuming no discount). Total cost for the cruise is about $3600 with tips included. If we got the rumored ~30% discount, our total cost would be closer to $3200 but who knows if that will be offered.

On Celebrity with drinks included, similar balcony category, same number of nights, total cost is under $2900 with tips included and $300 OBC.

I battle if a drink package is worth it or not, but I do have a cup or two of coffee per day, several bottles of water, a few glasses of wine with dinner, a drink or two (or four or five?) in the afternoon and it really starts to add up quickly....

Royal and their drink prices are making it really hard for me to book with them instead of Celebrity for next year.

The cruise I want on Royal would cost us almost $1200 for drink packages (9 nights, no assuming no discount). Total cost for the cruise is about $3600 with tips included. If we got the rumored ~30% discount, our total cost would be closer to $3200 but who knows if that will be offered.

On Celebrity with drinks included, similar balcony category, same number of nights, total cost is under $2900 with tips included and $300 OBC.

I battle if a drink package is worth it or not, but I do have a cup or two of coffee per day, several bottles of water, a few glasses of wine with dinner, a drink or two (or four or five?) in the afternoon and it really starts to add up quickly....

I started looking at Allure, but after doing the math, I'm looking at Celebrity (Silhouette or Equinox). Price for an Aqua with the drinks package and $300 obc is hundreds less (p/p) than a JS. Even with the JS I'd still have to purchase the drinks package.:eek:

The prices are ridiculous. I don't mind paying $3 for a beer, but $7-8??? Insanity! It's one thing when you're at a sporting event and pay $8-9 for a beer....it's only a 3 hour thing! But when you are essentially captive for a week....it's highway robbery!

I had a cosmo last night at the local habachi place, $10. Drinks are expensive here, average $7 for a beer, $8 - $10 for wine. When we first started cruising 10 years ago, we couldn't believe how cheap the drinks were. I think the increase is due to the packages.

I had a cosmo last night at the local habachi place, $10. Drinks are expensive here, average $7 for a beer, $8 - $10 for wine. When we first started cruising 10 years ago, we couldn't believe how cheap the drinks were. I think the increase is due to the packages.

Yeah, our "expensive" restaurants it's $10-12 (like the kind where you pay $60 for just a steak).

I was expecting maybe $10/drink on the cruise (but again MSC spoiled me in that regard as most were like $8 and if you got the drink coupons it was $4.50 each). But then again there were many other unfavorables on MSC.

Well I guess that will definitely play a part in deciding which cruise line to go with as I'll have to look at more than just the base cruise next time around.

Thanks everyone!

So it's been a while since I've been on RCI (as you can see). But coming back from an MSC cruise, I was impressed by how cheap the drinks were (even cheaper if you got the coupons). But we won't go into details about the rest (don't want to get into an MSC vs. RCI, but let's just say I won't be doing MSC again).

Anyway, I saw someone posted drink price menus for RCI and I found a few that listed the cocktails I like and was shocked that it's $13 for a cosmo?!! (Plus 18% gratuity of course).

Or does pricing vary per bar/ship?

I'd get the drink package but it's way overpriced, IMO, for what i drink (what, like $60/day plus the 18% gratuity). 3-4 drinks/day, but then again at $13/drink ...eesh.

They are the only game in town.

Agree! I have been on both MSC and RCCL recently and MSC drinks are much cheaper and frankly the wine is better (with the exception of Vintages on Anthem). My H and I would never get the drink package on RCCL because the wine included is garbage if you really like wine. I would prefer to purchase what I want without feeling like I paid for it already and then I am paying for what I want on top of it. Hope that makes sense.