Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

Most folks here in favor of dressing up (2 nights out of 7-14 mind you) have been very nice in stating their opinion and with the caveat "to each his own".

Seriously? Clearly we are living in a parallel universe. The word 'bums' sticks in my mind.

Well, as adults,I assume we have learned the lesson that two wrongs do not make a right, long ago. Unfortunately that seems not to be the case. Most folks here in favor of dressing up (2 nights out of 7-14 mind you) have been very nice in stating their opinion and with the caveat "to each his own". The push back has been awful. Bullying is a good word for it. Even though I'm sure he meant to be funny, the pictures posted above are just really offensive put in context of the whole tenor of the thread. Disgraceful actually.

Fish Lover, your posts are always a voice of reason!!

Oh dear, it seems like the thought police are around and as for bullying, we are adults not children at primary school. Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if you don't agree with it, it's called free speech, and long may it continue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bullying behavior can be found at all ages, all economic classes, and all ethnic and religious persuasions. Although, as adults, we tend to call it "passive aggressive".

You are entitled to your own opinion. You are entitled, within certain limitations, to express that opinion. People also have the right to challenge that opinion. You even have the right, although not on this forum, to call people derogatory names. However, self-editing is a very good idea. It's a particular pet peeve of mine when someone tries to play the "freedom of speech" card without understanding what it really means. If you understand what it truly means, and have great reverence for the right, then it is unlikely you will abuse it....as so many people do.

I do not care, at all, what a few other pro-dress-up posters have resorted to in their comments on this subject. It does not give anyone else here the inalienable right to dish it out just the same. That makes you reactionary, retaliatory, and childish.

Look at the posts in this thread. That is exactly what has happened. To those on both sides of this issue that have insulted, tried to belittle, and tried to make others feel old, out dated, stupid etc...you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Bullying behavior can be found at all ages, all economic classes, and all ethnic and religious persuasions. Although, as adults, we tend to call it "passive aggressive".

You are entitled to your own opinion. You are entitled, within certain limitations, to express that opinion. People also have the right to challenge that opinion. You even have the right, although not on this forum, to call people derogatory names. However, self-editing is a very good idea. It's a particular pet peeve of mine when someone tries to play the "freedom of speech" card without understanding what it really means. If you understand what it truly means, and have great reverence for the right, then it is unlikely you will abuse it....as so many people do.

I do not care, at all, what a few other pro-dress-up posters have resorted to in their comments on this subject. It does not give anyone else here the inalienable right to dish it out just the same. That makes you reactionary, retaliatory, and childish.

Look at the posts in this thread. That is exactly what has happened. To those on both sides of this issue that have insulted, tried to belittle, and tried to make others feel old, out dated, stupid etc...you should be ashamed of yourselves.

True, true. Can we all just agree on one thing: this is an issue that is never going to please everyone, and there is no right or wrong answer. Some like to dress up, and they can continue to do so (me, included); some don't like to dress up, and they don't have to. As long as we all abide by and respect the guidelines established by the cruise line (whether we like them or not), isn't it time to put this topic to bed?

As the OP of this thread most of these posts are not what I was looking for. I just thought with all the different threads about the dress code why not just drop the Chic night because anyone can wear mostly what they want to wear any night.

We started cruising in 1991 and I will admit things have changed in the years since. I was just suggesting that it makes more sense to dress how you want every night. The only one's effected would be the photo people who like dress up nights so they can make money.

Carry on,

J.

Here's my 2 cents (or whatever they're worth). Back in days of yore, airlines did not charge for your first 2 checked bags. Now they charge (except for a very few) $25 for the first bag and increasingly more for each additional one. Perhaps, with this in mind X decided to relax the dress code and change to "evening chic". The passenger can still dress formally or less so within their very loose guidelines. Dressing less formally allows passengers to pack more efficiently and still fit in. Some passengers, who are fortunate enough to be near embarkation ports or members of frequent flier clubs don't have the same restrictions on numbers of bags and weight limits imposed by airlines, and thus have the freedom to take more and heavier bags. Passengers in the days of sailing with steamer trunks were not dealing with the constraints of today's world. If a passenger can take more clothing and more bags, then by all means do so! If not, and the passenger can efficiently pack clothing that both fits the new guidelines and the airline guidelines, that's good too. Personally, we always request a table for two unless we're travelling with friends. We've always been happy with how the people at our table are dressed!:) and don't pass judgement on others around us.

One of the most notorious set of posts featured

(1) Insults such as "slobs", "onslows", "trailer trash"

(2) Claims that you should go and find another more downmarket Cruise line

(3) proud at the fact they had people evicted from their table

(4) Pointing people out to the Maitre D as to who should be evicted

Pretty dispicable behaviour IMO

Sorry guy, but sloppy shorts & t shirts don't cut it in the mdr for dinner. Yes, I will point it out to the Maitre D. I'm NOT talking tuxes/suits, just what IS considered proper attire by anyone with a modicum of proper respect for those around them. If YOU choose to dress that way & I'm on your cruise, yes I(and I'm sure others will complain)

Sorry guy, but sloppy shorts & t shirts don't cut it in the mdr for dinner. Yes, I will point it out to the Maitre D. I'm NOT talking tuxes/suits, just what IS considered proper attire by anyone with a modicum of proper respect for those around them. If YOU choose to dress that way & I'm on your cruise, yes I(and I'm sure others will complain)

Key here: WHY DO YOU CARE?

Here's my 2 cents (or whatever they're worth). Back in days of yore, airlines did not charge for your first 2 checked bags. Now they charge (except for a very few) $25 for the first bag and increasingly more for each additional one.

Ya I do not think that has anything to do with it, why does X care really what checked bags cost ? Also anyone with any elite status on the airline they are flying whatsoever gets free checked bags and you also get free checked bags just for having a credit card 1/2 the time. Unless you rarely travel or just don't do any research you can pretty much get a free checked bag, in the USA anyway.

It's not for you to decide to who "cuts it" and who doesn't. Celebrity has decided what is proper attire NOT you. If you want to continuing being rude and obnoxious to people that's up to you, one day you will do it to the wrong person and you will regret it.

Edited by DYKWIA

Key here: WHY DO YOU CARE?

I will tell you why I care. I am paying a premium for a higher quality of food and service. I expect that experience to include dining in an upscale environment.

I don't care if you have a tux, a suit, or slacks or jeans and a nice shirt. However, I expect Celebrity to draw the line at shorts and t-shirts and enforce it. By the way, they didn't enforce no shorts in the MDR on our last cruise even when pointed out to them by another guest - the guest wearing shorts looked at the staff member and said "I don't care" and walked right in.

If I wanted to dine with someone wearing shorts and a t-shirt I would go to the Ocean View where I would expect to see that.

Edited by WestCoastFlyer

I will tell you why I care. I am paying a premium for a higher quality of food and service. I expect that experience to include dining in an upscale environment.

Goodness, you must sail a different Celebrity than we do. Upscale environment? Higher quality? Haven't really seen that on =X= in about 15 cruises ago. Still sail them and have no problem with the current situation but you are deluding yourself if you think you are sailing on an upscale line. Mainstream all the way.

I don't care if you have a tux, a suit, or slacks or jeans and a nice shirt. However, I expect Celebrity to draw the line at shorts and t-shirts and enforce it. By the way, they didn't enforce no shorts in the MDR on our last cruise even when pointed out to them by another guest - the guest wearing shorts looked at the staff member and said "I don't care" and walked right in.

If I wanted to dine with someone wearing shorts and a t-shirt I would go to the Ocean View where I would expect to see that.

..and probably most people agree with you. As someone who is generally in favour of a more relaxed dress code that doesn't automatically mean we are "slobs", or low class "trailer trash" not worthy of the Cruise Line . Like most people, we scrub up for evening meal and prefer to dine in clothes appropriate to what others are wearing.

Presumably you have never felt the need to demand to have people evicted from your table, proudly boasted about getting people denied access to the MDR, openly call people rude names just because they don't like their sense of dress (or lack of it), suggested people find a lower class of cruse line more befitting them.

Edited by DYKWIA

Goodness, you must sail a different Celebrity than we do. Upscale environment? Higher quality? Haven't really seen that on =X= in about 15 cruises ago. Still sail them and have no problem with the current situation but you are deluding yourself if you think you are sailing on an upscale line. Mainstream all the way.

I agree that it isn't the X of several years ago. But, in my opinion, it's still better than 7 days on a Carnival ship (and more expensive). Yep, it's not close to Crystal or Seabourn but you and I will just have to agree to disagree that X still represents something more upscale that is between a basic trip and luxury. Maybe we can agree that gap is narrowing by the day and not in a good way.

Edited by WestCoastFlyer

I definitely sail on a different Celebrity to you.

I love the upscale Celebrity product. Just walk onboard and see & feel the WOW factor. If you don't then I am very pleased not to be in your shoes!

I think the food is amazing considering you are on a ship and they are serving many thousands of meals per day. I have never been to a land based holiday where the staff work as hard to please their customers.

I don't necessarily mean they are an upscale cruise line, but they are certainly an upscale holiday experience.

If you consider them mainstream then they must be the best of the mainstream cruise offerings?

Let's face it, is it very subjective and I don't think your comment "you are deluding yourself" is fair.

Cheers

Gerry

..and probably most people agree with you. As someone who is generally in favour of a more relaxed dress code that doesn't automatically mean we are "slobs", or low class "trailer trash" not worthy of the Cruise Line . Like most people, we scrub up for evening meal and prefer to dine in clothes appropriate to what others are wearing.

Presumably you have never felt the need to demand to have people evicted from your table, proudly boasted about getting people denied access to the MDR, openly call people rude names just because they don't like their sense of dress (or lack of it), suggested people find a lower class of cruse line more befitting them.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have no time or energy for rude, pushy, or snobbish. I'm on vacation to relax, not to listen to people be rude.

Ya I do not think that has anything to do with it, why does X care really what checked bags cost ? Also anyone with any elite status on the airline they are flying whatsoever gets free checked bags and you also get free checked bags just for having a credit card 1/2 the time. Unless you rarely travel or just don't do any research you can pretty much get a free checked bag, in the USA anyway.

And that's your 2 cents!:D We travel fairly often, do lots of research, however still have to pay for our bags since we don't have airline credit cards don't travel for business and are not in any elite status. I didn't offer what I said as any kind of fact, just a thought.

I love the upscale Celebrity product. Just walk onboard and see & feel the WOW factor. If you don't then I am very pleased not to be in your shoes!

I think the food is amazing considering you are on a ship and they are serving many thousands of meals per day. I have never been to a land based holiday where the staff work as hard to please their customers.

I don't necessarily mean they are an upscale cruise line, but they are certainly an upscale holiday experience.

If you consider them mainstream then they must be the best of the mainstream cruise offerings?

Let's face it, is it very subjective and I don't think your comment "you are deluding yourself" is fair.

Cheers

Gerry

I agree 100%. HAL and X provide an excellent cruise experience while recognizing the number of human beings aboard. The food, entertainment, cleanliness and genuinely friendly officers and crew are the key elements that separate them from the rest of the pack.

Cheers

Gerry

800 days on cruise ships including 300 on Celebrity. Sailed 9 lines from Carnival to Oceania and everything in between. Sorry, but my experience with the current Celebrity (as opposed to 10 years ago--a totally different experience) is mainstream all the way. As good food as on Princess, HAL, e.g. Specialty restaurants as good (and way cheaper) on NCL. Better itineraries on Princess, worldwide. Like I said, still sail them but don't delude myself as to what I am on. Guarantee if you were magically transported into a Princess or HAL MDR you wouldn't tell the difference from =X=. Except on Formal Night. :)

Well, I don't care what people wear, but really, can we just get rid of the ugly people?

I watch a lot of PBS and on Downton Abbey, Victoria and other shows where everyone dresses for dinner there's not an ugly one among them. I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, when I started cruising and saw some really finely dressed people who were just plain ugly. Very distasteful. One older, fat "gentleman" (really a kind of gnome-looking slob) kept stealing glances at me, and I thought he was stalking me. I was about to call the manager on him, then realized it was a mirrored wall.

So I picked out another ugly person and reported them.

Well, I don't care what people wear, but really, can we just get rid of the ugly people?

I watch a lot of PBS and on Downton Abbey, Victoria and other shows where everyone dresses for dinner there's not an ugly one among them. I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, when I started cruising and saw some really finely dressed people who were just plain ugly. Very distasteful. One older, fat "gentleman" (really a kind of gnome-looking slob) kept stealing glances at me, and I thought he was stalking me. I was about to call the manager on him, then realized it was a mirrored wall.

So I picked out another ugly person and reported them.

Many thanks for the levity. Great post!

800 days on cruise ships including 300 on Celebrity. Sailed 9 lines from Carnival to Oceania and everything in between. Sorry, but my experience with the current Celebrity (as opposed to 10 years ago--a totally different experience) is mainstream all the way. As good food as on Princess, HAL, e.g. Specialty restaurants as good (and way cheaper) on NCL. Better itineraries on Princess, worldwide. Like I said, still sail them but don't delude myself as to what I am on. Guarantee if you were magically transported into a Princess or HAL MDR you wouldn't tell the difference from =X=. Except on Formal Night. :)

So you have cruised a lot (perhaps I am more experienced than you?) and made an assumption that I have never been on HAL or Princess. I know what that demonstrates in my view, I wonder why you think it is relevant to make assumptions?

So you have cruised a lot (perhaps I am more experienced than you?) and made an assumption that I have never been on HAL or Princess. I know what that demonstrates in my view, I wonder why you think it is relevant to make assumptions?

Never made that assumption. Just giving my opinions of the various lines. If you took that as an assumption, the problem lies in your head, not mine. Just love your "I know what that demonstrates in my view" crack.

Could care less if you have cruised more than me. Just making an observation. Face it, you are just taking the heat and taking shots at me because I dared to call your beloved, "upscale experience" on =X= mainstream.

Edited by ECCruise

Never made that assumption. Just giving my opinions of the various lines. If you took that as an assumption, the problem lies in your head, not mine. Just love your "I know what that demonstrates in my view" crack.

Could care less if you have cruised more than me. Just making an observation. Face it, you are just taking the heat and taking shots at me because I dared to call your beloved, "upscale experience" on =X= mainstream.

LOL, Love your last sentence, so funny because it is so untrue, but again, you have made incorrect assumptions.

I guess when you do something so much it always becomes the 'normal'.

In some ways I feel fortunate in that I can only cruise a maximum of once a year which in turn means that it will never become my benchmark.