FREEDOM ....Disapointment Jan 7, 2017

Just returned from the Freedom of the seas. I am a diamond plus guests so I think I can speak freely with my experience, As I have always been loyal to royal.

1. Small children allowed in both the concierge lounge and the diamond lounge. I'm pretty sure it says 21 and older. The children were crying, standing on the furniture, one actually fell off the sofa and hit his head on the table. I thought the lounge was for a pre dinner drink to relax?

2. Apparently with the inception of the drink package, waitstaff around the pool and in the theater are hard to come by. You might find a random one or two floating around. I remember the day when I was asked by waitstaff nearly every 10 minutes if I need a drink. Not the case any more. If you want a drink, you might as well get in the line at the bar.

3. The dining room menus looked like a rat had been chewing on the corners. Very worn and tattered. The napkins were equally worn with snags and picks.

4. Our robes and bed sheets were stained.

5. The ships of this size and bigger are definitely gearing towards families with children. The Dreamworks sail away, parades and photo ops made it feel like I was on a Disney Ship. Great for families but not for those of us wanting a romantic type of cruise.

6. Forget about dress code. Anything goes in the dining room including shorts, tshirts and flip flops.

7. Disembarking was a disaster. The lines were winding in several different directions causing the guests to argue over where it started and where to go. When you asked for help by the staff they just pointed in a general direction and said "over there". Why not set up rope with lanes so we know where to line up? It wasn't the line that bothered me but the chaos.

I wouldn't want to end this without at least giving kudos to the activities staff. They were energenic and entertaining.

That being said, looks like my next cruise might be on the sister ship Celebrity. Perhaps it will be a little more of what I'm use to and looking for. We shall see.

... Apparently with the inception of the drink package, waitstaff around the pool and in the theater are hard to come by. You might find a random one or two floating around. I remember the day when I was asked by waitstaff nearly every 10 minutes if I need a drink. Not the case any more. If you want a drink, you might as well get in the line at the bar. ...

Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We too have noticed the lack of bar staff since the drink packages on some ships.

JustThat being said, looks like my next cruise might be on the sister ship Celebrity. Perhaps it will be a little more of what I'm use to and looking for.

You are probably right - ensure that you get your Elite perks to match your D+ status.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We too have noticed the lack of bar staff since the drink packages on some ships.

We just returned on the Rhapsody of the Seas transatlantic and found the same lack of bar staff around. One morning I wanted a Bloody Mary and the only bar open was the pool bar. It was sometime very difficult to get a beverage. I hope this isn't going to be the norm!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just returned from the Freedom of the seas. I am a diamond plus guests so I think I can speak freely with my experience, As I have always been loyal to royal.

1. Small children allowed in both the concierge lounge and the diamond lounge. I'm pretty sure it says 21 and older. The children were crying, standing on the furniture, one actually fell off the sofa and hit his head on the table. I thought the lounge was for a pre dinner drink to relax?

2. Apparently with the inception of the drink package, waitstaff around the pool and in the theater are hard to come by. You might find a random one or two floating around. I remember the day when I was asked by waitstaff nearly every 10 minutes if I need a drink. Not the case any more. If you want a drink, you might as well get in the line at the bar.

3. The dining room menus looked like a rat had been chewing on the corners. Very worn and tattered. The napkins were equally worn with snags and picks.

5. The ships of this size and bigger are definitely gearing towards families with children. The Dreamworks sail away, parades and photo ops made it feel like I was on a Disney Ship. Great for families but not for those of us wanting a romantic type of cruise.

6. Forget about dress code. Anything goes in the dining room including shorts, tshirts and flip flops.

7. Disembarking was a disaster. The lines were winding in several different directions causing the guests to argue over where it started and where to go. When you asked for help by the staff they just pointed in a general direction and said "over there". Why not set up rope with lanes so we know where to line up? It wasn't the line that bothered me but the chaos.

I wouldn't want to end this without at least giving kudos to the activities staff. They were energenic and entertaining.

That being said, looks like my next cruise might be on the sister ship Celebrity. Perhaps it will be a little more of what I'm use to and looking for. We shall see.

Sorry to read this, but we too experienced some of it on our last Freedom class sailing on Independence of Seas.

We did love our Allure of Seas cruise a few years ago vs Freedom class and most likely will skip that class in future.

I can understand the cruise industry going for the family demographic, but there is still a large adult only segment too. I clearly hate kids in adult only areas. We have also skipped the Diamond lounge, but it was due to our traveling with others (that we promoted Royal to) and they were not allowed in Diamond lounge. What is one to do. I DO love the 'tickets' on our cards and being able to use at other bars! That I do THANK Royal for!

Haven't seen roaming bar staff in pool area for some time. This was on 5 different ships. We just walk up to the bar for a drink. Only time I had to wait for more than a few minutes for a drink, was on embarkation day.

I too just go to bars now myself. My main reason is I want it now and sometimes, they take awhile to get back to you as they are taking and delivering orders to others too.

OMG we are on Freedom in June out of Barcelona hope this was a one off as this will be our first cruise as D+.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Keep watching and don't be too concerned. I have been on Freedom twice and there was 8 years in between. It seems to me when a ship makes major changes to home port and or staff there is a shake out period. Freedom will of course make another change here this spring when she moves to your side of the Atlantic.

I don't disregard the OP's opinion, but keep watching.

Keep watching and don't be too concerned. I have been on Freedom twice and there was 8 years in between. It seems to me when a ship makes major changes to home port and or staff there is a shake out period. Freedom will of course make another change here this spring when she moves to your side of the Atlantic.

I don't disregard the OP's opinion, but keep watching.

Good point, things can change!

I would sail Freedom vs not sailing and it would still be a great cruise!

Thanks we normally prefer sailing from Barcelona. We sailed 3 times on Harmony in 2016 and for a new ship there was a noticeable lack of bar waiters and unusually for me I went to the bar for our drinks or went looking for bar waiters.In central park there was no bar waiters at any time.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I am honestly shocked that the drinks packages are purchased often enough that it warrants such a huge reduction in wait staff.

Do people really drink that much crap nowadays? If they're being geared more and more towards families, would that not mean less and less alcohol being consumed (i sure as heck hope these parents cruising with kids aren't getting sloshed every day..?!), and furthermore, even if the packages are mainly for the kids, that begs the q - are ALL these parents really giving their kids THAT much sugary juice and pop every day? Seriously?? :(

We are sailing on the Freedom next month and it never even occurred to me to purchase a drinks package - our family will be mostly drinking water, the occasional pop (me) and maybe a glass of wine for dinner (DH - not me, I don't like wine). But really, mostly water - which I have asked about and apparently you can bring some in your carry-on and RCI doesn't really say anything, or worst case we will just bring empty water bottles and sippy cups and refill them at the Windjammer every morning.

To the OP - our first cruise was on the Celebrity Silhouette, and the vast majority of the cruisers were over 50 and yes, it was more elegant, quiet and luxurious. We would've done a cruise on a Solstice class ship again in a heartbeat, but we now have a 2.5 yr old daughter, so we needed the more family-oriented ship this time. ;)

Absolutely go with Celebrity next time - you will not be sorry!! :D

Was on Freedom over Thanksgiving. We loved it and experienced none of the above. Individuals were asked to leave diamond lounge for inappropriate attire. Disembarking was a breeze. Left ship at 8 and was back to our condo before 8:30. Sorry you had such a different experience.

I agree with your observations. WE were on her last month. To add to your frustration, the ship seemed to be in need of refurbishment. We only ate in the dining room twice but we didn't notice the menu's were torn. My only observation in the dining room was that service was very slow. Our waiter and assistant waiter seemed very hurried.

Have you considered Celebrity?

It sounds like your tastes might now be more suited to Celebrity.

At least regarding the issues with kids in the lounges and the focus on family friendly entertainment. I happen to like both.

I agree with you about the lack of people asking to bring you a drink. I feel this has happened on all cruise lines because of the packages. Though I feel its better on Celebrity.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln. How was the Play?

A questions to OP and others who have cruised Freedom OTS in Dec 2016 or Jan 2017: Has prime rib been returned to the MDR dinner menu?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I was on board last week and while it was not listed on the menu our Waitress told us that it was available on the second formal night and my wife had it and loved it.

Have you considered Celebrity?

It sounds like your tastes might now be more suited to Celebrity.

Yup, it appears that she has.

Do people really drink that much crap nowadays? If they're being geared more and more towards families, would that not mean less and less alcohol being consumed (i sure as heck hope these parents cruising with kids aren't getting sloshed every day..?!), and furthermore, even if the packages are mainly for the kids, that begs the q - are ALL these parents really giving their kids THAT much sugary juice and pop every day? Seriously?? :(

Wow! Relax much? Have fun drinking tap water from your sippy cups, I, like most cruisers (with or without children), prefer a drink with a little kick while soaking up the sun. If water is your thing, good for you. But don't judge others for indulging a bit or letting their children indulge in "sugary drinks". They are on vacation just like you and like most of us who work hard all year, choose to loosen up a bit and relax the rules on the kids for a week or two.

Try coming down from your ivory tower on your next cruise, you may find you have been missing out :rolleyes:

I want to add that the food quality and main dining room experience has SERIOUSLY DECLINED. I am only Platinum, but my entire family (ages 20-45) has always cherished the nice dinners in the main dining room. Getting to know your waiter, how special they treated you...this is something you weren't going to get at an all inclusive resort.. something that really made you feel valued.

After 3 nights in the main dining room and one at chops, for the first time ever, we resigned ourselves to the fact that we might as well eat in the windjammer. We also for the first time ever in 9 cruises removed the gratuity for the dining room staff. Each night we waited about 20 min for them to take our order. I think they were understaffed perhaps. We were never asked if we wanted drinks for the first two nights until our seat mates complained (and I dont mean just alcohol...I mean anything other than tap water). The food quality has declined, so sad. More like applebees :(

We did try Chops...it was more like what we remember the main dining room being like, but at 35 per person, our family of three could not afford to eat there every night.

I don't know...has there has been a sudden change at royal? We were on Liberty of the seas in 2013 and it was really amazing. We also had good food when we were on the oasis in 2014 and while the service was so-so in the dining room we thought that was just because the ship was too big. Hence why we booked the freedom class this time.

Also to chime in on the drink package thing..We did notice while on celebrity that those who had drink packages never got the same service as those who did not. However, we did notice that if we tipped on top of the drink package gratuity already added, the service magically improved. Is that fair? No, but gratuity driven service is always better.

Edited by latenthart

Wow! Relax much? Have fun drinking tap water from your sippy cups, I, like most cruisers (with or without children), prefer a drink with a little kick while soaking up the sun. If water is your thing, good for you. But don't judge others for indulging a bit or letting their children indulge in "sugary drinks". They are on vacation just like you and like most of us who work hard all year, choose to loosen up a bit and relax the rules on the kids for a week or two.

Try coming down from your ivory tower on your next cruise, you may find you have been missing out :rolleyes:

That's the thing - I looked up drink prices, did the math, and for the beverage package to be even remotely worthwhile, you'd have to indulge far more than just "a bit" to make it worth your while. One can of pop is a mere $3.25 - how many cans a day is a person going to have?!? And there's iced tea and lemonade and water, tea and coffee all available for free! :confused:

I totally get allowing the kids to have a soda or two while on vacay, but again, for the PACKAGE to be worth it, the kids would have to be having 5-6 a day... I don't care how "judgey" you think i'm being for saying it - but that's excessive, and it's exactly why childhood obesity in NA is out of control. :(

If you knew me, you'd know that these comments are coming from someone whose only dietary vice is sugar - I LOVE soda, and will likely have one each day, but the price of the refreshment package is ridiculous, and made me laugh out loud. If the $26 package per day was per *stateroom*, then it would absolutely be a deal. But it's not.

Obviously your mileage may vary - but in my world I am considered a soda addict because I have 1 a day (most people i know, family, friends, colleagues, have a 2-3 per week, if that). I can't even fathom having 3-4 soda a day - vacation or no vacation. Holy cow... :(

And i realize many cruisers are on the ship to relax and booze up by the pool all day.. I have no issue or judgement for that. I just never would've thought they would make up the majority of the passengers, enough to make waitstaff all but obsolete - that's all I was saying.

Edited by ASBJumper

Well-behaved children are allowed access to the Concierge Lounge or Suite Lounge, even during cocktail hour. We use it as an incentive for good behavior, and it works. Our girls behave like princesses in the "Princess Room" or they do not get to enjoy the experience with us.

I appreciate the concierge that enforces the well-behaved" aspect. I'm not a fan of children bouncing off the walls or being noisy. But then I'm also not a fan of adults that do that either.