Documentation for 18 year olds cruising with our family

lhogan11

My daughter has several friends going on spring break with us. They are all 18 but they will not have their parents. Anyone know what kind of documentation they will need to sail with me? They aren't minors, they have a 21+ person in their room, but I'm wondering if their parents still need to have a notarized form stating it is ok for them to go with me??

My daughter has several friends going on spring break with us. They are all 18 but they will not have their parents. Anyone know what kind of documentation they will need to sail with me? They aren't minors, they have a 21+ person in their room, but I'm wondering if their parents still need to have a notarized form stating it is ok for them to go with me??

What cruise line are they planning to sail on?

You will need a notarized permission letter for each child. Doesn't matter which line you use. Get the letter....

After that, they will need either passport, or bc and photo ID for a closed-loop Caribbean cruise. Other cruises (Europe, Med, Alaska, etc...) may need passports....check on that!

Yes...18 year olds are adults unless they are cruising...very confusing, isn't it!

Edited by cb at sea

We are sailing Royal Caribbean but my understanding is that 18 year olds are not considered minors and therefore any letter from parents isn't considered valid. I planned to have their parents send a notarized letter and copies of insurance cards. I was also going to request that they seek trip insurance. Just want to cover my bases.

I would suggest checking with RC. Poster above - CB at Sea frequently does not give correct information, so I would not rely on her information.

Personally, I would make sure they had a valid passport, photo ID such as a drivers license and insurance information. Probably a good idea to have a letter indicating permission treat in case of medical problems, but I don't know the legality of that.

To avoid the risk of major medical expenses they should each purchase travel insurance with medical evacuation and medical expenses/hospitalization coverage as primary. Otherwise the supervising adult on the trip could have real headaches to deal with if something happens and there is no insurance coverage.

To avoid the risk of major medical expenses they should each purchase travel insurance with medical evacuation and medical expenses/hospitalization coverage as primary. Otherwise the supervising adult on the trip could have real headaches to deal with if something happens and there is no insurance coverage.

Just as a head's up - most travel Medical insurance (whether primary or secondary) has to be paid up front for medical care. And then submitted for reimbursement once back home.

Travel Medical Insurance typically doesn't work like your insurance card back home, where you just show the card it it gets billed directly to the insurance.

We are sailing Royal Caribbean but my understanding is that 18 year olds are not considered minors and therefore any letter from parents isn't considered valid. I planned to have their parents send a notarized letter and copies of insurance cards. I was also going to request that they seek trip insurance. Just want to cover my bases.

I have taken unrelated teenagers with my family on cruises. I do understand the RC policy as you do, that 18 and up are not considered children or minors for any purpose other than drinking alcohol. I have seen this policy on the RC website. They would need thier boarding docs and ID and I wouldn't leave home until they have all shown you thier papers and ID. In fact, we usually verify docs early on and then again on blast off day. There is no way I am getting stuck in a port city with a kid that cannot board. Quick way to ruin a trip for everyone.

Now, as for covering your bum, I agree with your plan. I would have parents provide a signed letter that states the plan - that their teenager will be sailing with you, to x ports on x ship on x dates. I would have them put all thier contact info on the same letter. Royal doesn't require it, but I feel better having the info should I need it for any leg of our trip. I would add the insurance info, any important medical facts as well as a statement that I _________ (the parent) accept all financial responsibility for my child with a signature. Again, for my own protection.

Nobody is going anywhere with me without comprehensive travel insurance either. I keep a photocopy of all of thier papers and ID in my safe "just in case" - as they are learning to be responsible travelers :)

You should also have a "permission to treat" document that authorizes you to approve medical treatment just in case. Also, make sure that they have their health care cards and insurance.

DON

Health care cards and stateside insurance cards are not necessary, as the insurance won't be accepted outside the US. Any care has to be paid up front, and then you file for reimbursement when you get home. EM

Health care cards and stateside insurance cards are not necessary, as the insurance won't be accepted outside the US. Any care has to be paid up front, and then you file for reimbursement when you get home. EM

Of course they should bring at least a copy of their health care cards, front and back.

They could need medical treatment at a US Port, possibly including embarkation and debarkation port.

Serious medical condition, chances are evacuation to the United States will have to be coordinated with primary health insurance. There are extreme circumstances where your US health policy will prepay your expenses.

Let's get serious. You are traveling in a few weeks with adults for spring break.

They need their passports or other travel documents and that is it. It also helps to have a high limit credit card. I assume that if they have health insurance they have their cards with them all of the time, though most if not all US health insurance is not accepted on the islands.

You do not need a form giving you permission to authorize medical care from the parents. It is worthless. If you get one from anyone it is from the teens. Once they hit 18 the parents don't need to consent to care.

It is goofy. They are adults in some ways, not in others.

For example, legally, the parents don't consent to medical at 18 - you are an adult.

They cannot drink, and can't register themselves online.

On board, they are adults except for alcohol.

When we cruised RCI one of our sons was 18. It was at the discresion of the parents weather he could drink alcohol and charge drinks. We said no but the system failed and we ended up with a bar bill for him. I hope and think this may have changed now.

He is now a successful married man and so there is no need for flamers to tell us about our failed parenting. I have endured that wen I posted at the time. Just need parents to be aware that the system is not foolproof.

Let's get serious. You are traveling in a few weeks with adults for spring break.

They need their passports or other travel documents and that is it. It also helps to have a high limit credit card. I assume that if they have health insurance they have their cards with them all of the time, though most if not all US health insurance is not accepted on the islands.

You do not need a form giving you permission to authorize medical care from the parents. It is worthless. If you get one from anyone it is from the teens. Once they hit 18 the parents don't need to consent to care.

Once they turn 18 only the 18 year old can get consent for care, the parents can't even give it. Actually,the 18 year old should give the parents consent, if there was an emergency, hospitals can't give any information to the parents without the teen's consent.

What if something happens on the way to or from the cruise (in the US)? Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it.