Book Club on Longer HAL cruises?

LocoLoco1

There wasn't one on our 2016 -- 21 day cruise.

We did this same cruise in 2013 and there was a person who tried to organize the book club -- a HAL employee. It did fine the first couple of days, but when this person asked people to write some kind of a report -- it was done. No one was going to take time out from their cruise to write a report.

With the Librarians now gone from the ships, I wouldn't count on a Book Club.

There was a book club on our 33 day Westerdam cruise (right after KK got off).

And on our 30 day on the same ship and all of our Prinsendam cruises that were 30 and 31 days.

Not sure what will happen with the librarian gone on ships, but, in essence, we had no librarian on our last cruise. Was a staff member maybe once in a blue moon at the desk.

the internet guy (who was clueless about the internet) was supposed to also serve as the librarian. I never saw him fill that role and we didn't need him. Someone else led the book club.

We had book clubs on the Maasdam this fall on both the 23 day Transpacific and the 29 day circumnavigation of Australia. The Librarian left the ship at the end of the second cruise. She said that the Cruise Director would do book clubs afterwards. I don't know how long the cruise has to be though to have them. She did say that books had already been set aside for future use. No book reports were required. We had two meetings on each section to discuss the books.

A book club leader on cruises of 14 days and longer was announced to great fanfare in 2010 as part of the Signature of Excellence program. I don't think that HAL announced that book clubs would only be on "select" sailings. None of us knows which sailings will be selected to have a book club leader. Our librarian on our Prinsendam transatlantic was excellent. I heard she ran a great book club. (The Four Seasons: A Novel of Vivaldi's Venice by Laurel Corona)

I would expect book clubs to become rarer as HAL librarians become rarer.

This is the response received today from HAL guest services which sure doesn't seem to jive with comments on cruise critic.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. At this time, we have made no changes to the libraries available onboard any of our ships.

This is the response received today from HAL guest services which sure doesn't seem to jive with comments on cruise critic.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. At this time, we have made no changes to the libraries available onboard any of our ships.

I think the phrase I bolded is the key in their reply to you. They are speaking of now and not the future ;)

I often think that HAL front line staff in Seattle are always the last to know of any changes.

there are libraries on the ships??? :D that's exciting....

There have been on all ships, except the Koningsdam. However, that may not be true in the future.

First, the computer expert position was discontinued, with the explanation that the librarian would add those duties to her own. Next, the librarian position was eliminated. Now, there is chatter about the libraries on the larger ships being "downsized" when the Crows Nest is repurposed.

Seems to be a slow, step-by-step, but inevitable move to no libraries at all.

Perhaps this might be something that cruise critic members can organize through their roll calls in the future, if Hal discontinues book clubs. A book can be decided upon, everyone can purchase their own copy (physical or e-book).

There is always a corner of the Lido to meet in the afternoon, if no other venue is available or provided. Perhaps HAL would arrange to reserve one of the conference/meeting rooms - once on board - for the discussions.

This of course just adds to the "work" of organizing people, but a possible alternative if HAL discontinues the process.

In 2016 we realized the STATENDAM's library had 'evolved' since our 2015 Trans-Atlantic. More $$Coffee/Pastries$$, less books. More $$Internet kiosks$$, less magazines. My grandkids would probably say, '...about time.' but I'm not happy. What's the 'Library' like on a Mega-ship....all Internet?? I've never been on one..and hopefully never will be. LocoLoco1