Casual to Smart Casual

BaBa2

Now since retirement, "dress up" is out the window. Thank goodness! I did inquire through booking with RC, that dress jeans and polo shirts for men and dress jeans with nice blouse is appropriate for women in the MDR and some specialty restaurants. Any feedback or hear of anyone having problems with that type of dress?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's fine for the casual nights. Last week, they just reminded us each night about "no short pants" for dinner in the dining room, although one or two people did wear shorts and were served. They just looked a little out of place. It seems the unofficial policy is pants and some type of collared shirt for casual nights (golf/polo shirts are fine).

That's fine for the casual nights. Last week, they just reminded us each night about "no short pants" for dinner in the dining room, although one or two people did wear shorts and were served. They just looked a little out of place. It seems the unofficial policy is pants and some type of collared shirt for casual nights (golf/polo shirts are fine).

The OP described attire is fine for ALL NIGHTS either Casual or Formal. These codes are suggested.

Fine in that they'll still serve you on formal night. But with most people on our ship last week wearing tuxes or suits on formal nights, you might look a little underdressed in jeans and a golf shirt. The OP asked about casual/smart casual, and what he described wearing fits for those nights.

Fine in that they'll still serve you on formal night. But with most people on our ship last week wearing tuxes or suits on formal nights, you might look a little underdressed in jeans and a golf shirt. The OP asked about casual/smart casual, and what he described wearing fits for those nights.

You must be on a different cruise line...... Tuxes are no longer the norm and suits are getting less in numbers.... on Caribbean Cruises.

I have a Tux and wore it 3 times in 2016 and NEVER on a Caribbean cruise. Taking a Med cruise in September and might pack it. On Serenade 11 Thanksgiving I wore my suit two times..... but on Allure next week, not packing either.

Dress codes are suggestions....

Edited by troykahack

You must be on a different cruise line...... Tuxes are no longer the norm and suits are getting less in numbers.... on Caribbean Cruises.

I have a Tux and wore it 3 times in 2016 and NEVER on a Caribbean cruise. Taking a Med cruise in September and might pack it. On Serenade 11 Thanksgiving I wore my suit two times..... but on Allure next week, not packing either.

Dress codes are suggestions....

I agree they are suggestions, but how is a suit any different than a tux?

I'd go with the tux because it is keeping with the suggestions.

I agree they are suggestions, but how is a suit any different than a tux?

I'd go with the tux because it is keeping with the suggestions.

Personal preference, but my sentiments exactly. Also don't think my wife would allow me to wear jeans at the Captains table, just saying....K.O.....:)

I've been reading these boards for 2 years now and the only problems I've heard about with people wearing jeans to dinner are from other passengers who complain they don't like seeing it and it ruins their dinner experience [emoji57]

If you want to wear jeans, wear jeans. A lot of people can look dressed up in jeans if they fit well and are paired with a nice top and accessories. As for ripped jeans, I've seen quite a few pairs of these that cost well over $200 and actually look great on the people who are wearing them. There is a difference between old jeans with rips in them, and custom made pants/jeans with rips in them. I don't know why so many people have an aversion to seeing jeans and feel that the material in and of itself is offensive. I would even argue that some people can put together an outfit that includes jeans and look a whole lot nicer than they do when they put on a pair of slacks and a button up top, simply because the jeans outfit fits them better and is more in style.

Fashion changes, and to each their own, it really shouldn't offend anyone or ruin anyone's dinner. At the very least, if you want to wear jeans to dinner, have the confidence to ignore the people who are offended and go ahead and enjoy your dinner and your vacation. You shouldn't have to feel bullied about your clothing choices nor should you have to feel embarrassed or self conscious worrying about the people who feel it necessary to stare you down about it. I think you'll find them to be the minority once on the ship (although to read these boards you might think they're the majority).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I find that jeans depends a lot of what you wear with them.

Would this not be good enough for non-formal night dinners?

Sports-Coat-and-Jeans+www.She9.blogspot.com+1.jpg

No that is not me ;), but I often wear jeans with a shirt and sport jacket or blazer and nice shoes to an evening out or restaurant.

dp

Edited by dpostman

No that is not me ;), but I often wear jeans with a shirt and sport jacket or blazer nad nice shoes to an evening out or restaurant.

dp

Exactly!! This outfit looks much nicer in my opinion, than someone who feels pushed to go buy a pair of khakis at wal mart just for the sake of wearing khakis to dinner instead of jeans. Not that there's anything wrong with wal mart khakis, or khakis in general, just that it is entirely possible to look dressed up in a pair of jeans and to look better in them than one would wearing dress pants (because of style preferences).

I personally think this guy looks really handsome and well dressed, and his outfit looks more stylish paired with jeans than it would paired with dress pants. I like it.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

No that is not me ;), but I often wear jeans with a shirt and sport jacket or blazer and nice shoes to an evening out or restaurant.

dp

Yes, Smart Casual.... or Casual, but not Formal.

Now, I for one don't really care what one wears to the MDR.

Yes, Smart Casual.... or Casual, but not Formal.

Now, I for one don't really care what one wears to the MDR.

Yes. If you re-read my original post, that is exactly why I stated "good enough for NON-FORMAL dinners":p

dp

I feel sorry for those whose dinners or vacations can be negativity affected by what others wear.

I agree with you. I used to like dressing up, especially on X, but my last cruise on Jewel of the Seas I suffered from bronchial congestion and asthma attacks and I missed first formal night. I also didn't dress up for the second and it was mixed around the dining room. The daily listed the dress as a suggestion not a code. Considering what the airlines charge for baggage, it cost me $50 to bring a garment that I never opened. I won't even bother bringing the suit again unless I'm driving to the ship.

Yes. If you re-read my original post, that is exactly why I stated "good enough for NON-FORMAL dinners":p

dp

Yes... I agree... maybe I wrote it wrong...

I thought the following post seemed to imply it might pass off as Formal.

I personally don't care what others wear. It doesn't ruin my MDR or cruise experience. If we let those type of things bother us, we could think of a whole lot of other issues that are worse than dress attire in MDR.

You know, the same people that say to dress so and so are the first to blow off the same requests and suggestions to board by deck number.