What would you do?

AugustW

Dear all,

My DS, 16 and I are reserved on a 7 day S class Caribbean Cruise in C2. The cruise is past the final payment and the rates have dropped. A suite guarantee is now available for an additional $1,200pp. There are at least 5 Sky Suites, 5 Royal Suites and Penthouse Suite open. I have had a Sky Suite before and love Luminae so while I would enjoy a Sky Suite, I don't know that I'd spend $2,400 for my son DS and I to stay in one for a week. However, with a 50% chance at an RS or PS I'm seriously considering rolling the dice. My dear CC compatriots I am humbly soliciting your advice.

Thanks,

Ian

That seems steep for a 50/50 RS or PS... I also don't know what the odds are on them offering a free or reduced rate upgrade to an S2/S1 booking to free up more Sky Suites for a gty booking.

That's too rich for my blood, but everyone has their own price tolerance.

If the $1200 pp is worth it for you to be in an accessible S2 then go for it. (although if there are still s2's available you can probably move)

Otherwise, you have much more than a 50/50 chance of being disappointed.

Dear all,

My DS, 16 and I are reserved on a 7 day S class Caribbean Cruise in C2. The cruise is past the final payment and the rates have dropped. A suite guarantee is now available for an additional $1,200pp. There are at least 5 Sky Suites, 5 Royal Suites and Penthouse Suite open. I have had a Sky Suite before and love Luminae so while I would enjoy a Sky Suite, I don't know that I'd spend $2,400 for my son DS and I to stay in one for a week. However, with a 50% chance at an RS or PS I'm seriously considering rolling the dice. My dear CC compatriots I am humbly soliciting your advice.

Thanks,

Ian

Phone CC and ask what they could do for your

You never know

Keep the C2 and buy the 7 day Speciality pkg for $29 a day.

Agreed. Currently have a similar situation on our April cruise ($1600 - but for 14 days) and while it's tempting - I am making my decision based on the lowest category I may (likely) get. If I'm not willing to spend that money for an S2 - then I won't book the GTY. I can dine in any specialty restaurant I want and get lots of spa services for the difference in cost if I am so inclined. :D

Dear all,

Thanks,

Ian

50% chance?!? That is some alternative math! With a guarantee (GTY) they do not randomly choose a room out of all remaining rooms in that category and those in higher categories. They usually assign you to a room in the lowest possible category possible with the GTY (in this case a Sky Suite). Upgrades occur significantly more frequently than if you booked a specific room, but still are not common enough to ever expect it to occur. Often with Sky Suite GTY's people end up being placed in an accessible Sky Suite (if all have not been booked by people with need for one). With so many Sky Suites currently available your chances are very small of being placed in a Royal or Penthouse Suite; not anywhere near 50%, perhaps more like 3%. If you do not feel $2,400 is worth the splurge for a Sky Suite do not upgrade to the GTY as you will almost certainly be disappointed.

WOW. Pretty unanimous here. My TA who is also a close friend agrees. I can't justify it for a Sky Suite so I would be setting myself up for disappointment so I will stay where I am. BTW, my son would advocate for the suite but he is not paying:). Thank you all for your good and kind advice.

Happy Travels,

Ian

$2400 is a lot of money for what you would be getting, another vote for spending less on a dining package. For our September Med cruise they wanted $2000 more to go from Veranda to Aqua2. I said no thanks, we can do specialty dining for a whole lot less and and put the left over $$$ towards another vacation.

The odds of you getting anything but the lowest category in the GTY is slim to none. Keep your cabin and use that money for something else!

When booking a veranda guarantee after final payment I was expecting a 2D or maybe a 2C. I was allocated a 1C.

Yes I got lucky, but you don't always get the lowest category. Be prepared for it for sure, but sometimes someone is looking down on you and you come up smiling.

When booking a veranda guarantee after final payment I was expecting a 2D or maybe a 2C. I was allocated a 1C.

Yes I got lucky, but you don't always get the lowest category. Be prepared for it for sure, but sometimes someone is looking down on you and you come up smiling.

Yes we booked a Suite GTY a couple of weeks ago for a sailing date in March 2017 and were assigned a S1, not the lowest but a far cry from the PH or RS.

We were lucky we managed to snag a aft balcony S1 once the 59 day timeline passed and there were some cancellations.

For the $$ the OP is talking about I would just what others have suggested get on board and go to guest services and see if the Unlimited Spec. Dining package is available if it is buy it if not buy the 7 dinner one.