Are we aloud to bring food from the ship to beach

decibel123

Fruits can carry a lot of diseases. If you are worried about getting hungry off shore, you can bring the sealed little cereal containers with you. It seems like you want lunch though and that would be more problematic if you are caught by the port authorities.

Can't even take food off in the home port where the food was originally loaded.

Many ports have AgDogs and search your bags.

We bring some prepackaged snacks from home. Also we get some cereal boxes from the buffet.

Fruit can bring bugs into an environment. Check out the devastation the Mediterranean Fruit Fly and the Asian Psyllid have done to California agriculture.

Meat and cheese can also have issues. Also how would you keep it fresh?

Unless you are Rick Steves, taking food off is not allowed in most ports throughout the world.

As to the Rick Steves comment, there was a brief thread here a couple of years ago about Rick Steves and his lady friend doing a Princess cruise in northern Europe. There was a link to Rick's lady friend's blog. As per the blog Princess comped them breakfast in Sabatini's and they, by their own admission, took extra ham and cheese croissant breakfast sandwiches off of the ship in their backpacks for lunch in the different ports. Always someone who is special (at least in their minds) that don't need to follow the rules. :rolleyes:

In most parts of the world is not allowed but if you're in the Caribbean all the ports except St Thomas seem to allow food to be taken off the ship.

Lots of people will say they won't, but Princess doesn't publicize or announce anything against it.

We usually take something for the beach all the time without any problems.

It's not usually the ship's policy that you are not allowed to take food off the ship, rather that in some countries mandatory Agricultural Policies are strictly enforced to prevent the possible contamination of any of their own agricultural industry. I know that in New Zealand and Australia strict penalties are enforced if anyone is found to be breaking the law. This situation exists in a lot of countries, more especially 'island' countries who do not have land boarders with any other countries. Caution is required.

The answer is no for fruit and veggies. This is spelled out in the Princess Patter. These are local country laws, and each country can have different laws and different enforcement. I have seen dogs, containers to dispose of fresh food items, inspections and nothing at all. Probably sandwiches with just some processed deli meat, processed cheese or PB&J would be ok, but I don't know the laws in every country.

If you want to bring food take sealed processed food like boxes of cereal for snacks, candy bars, cans of soda, things like that. Just about every beach I have been to has a snack area where you can purchase whatever you like.

It is not allowed. Many years ago I was getting off the ship and I had on a back pack and I got searched for food by the ship security guy. I thought it was stupid because we were at KEY WEST, FLORIDA. I was looking forward to eating some great food and snacks in a American port. I did have fun finding snacks to eat.

When I go to foreign ports I go straight to a Mini Market where the crew workers shop at and buy me a coke bottled soda and some packaged chips, cookies and what ever. Most of the time I am happy with just a soda.

I eat breakfast on the ship and then I go out to a port and return back to the ship in time to eat lunch. ....or eat a late lunch at 3 p.m. at the buffet.

It is not allowed.

It's not allowed in certain ports.

Check the patter & you'll know which ones they are.

On our last 30 day Caribbean cruise -2016- there was only 1 port - St Thomas where it wasn't allowed & even at that, there was no checks, no inspections, no dogs or signs indicating it wasn't allowed. It was only posted in the patter & an announcement was made that morning. At ALL the other islands it was perfectly fine to bring lunch with you.

No announcements, no patter warnings and no signs at the terminals.

In most parts of the world is not allowed but if you're in the Caribbean all the ports except St Thomas seem to allow food to be taken off the ship.

Lots of people will say they won't, but Princess doesn't publicize or announce anything against it.

We usually take something for the beach all the time without any problems.

There were dogs checking all backpacks in Cozumel during Regals stop there last week. ALL food found was confiscated.

Edited by RDC1

I was stopped by the ships exit card reader person with a monster bloody Mary in a styro cup. Don't remember which port tho because I stepped back by the elevators and drank it down before I left.

Never would take any kind of food off but thought I would have been OK with V8 juice from a can and vodka. I guess they have no way to know what exactly is in the cup and I was openly carrying it.

I think even if it isn't heavily publicized don't take anything that isn't processed / sealed in a container. There are usually lots of local places to visit that have good food and drink, of course it will cost you a few bucks.

Prior to leaving for our last one month long cruise in mid November there was quite a lengthy discusssion concerning this subject taking place on this forum (link below). There are some reasonable pros and cons involved herein. It was interesting and informative plus being pretty entertaining at times. The one I liked best is where a poster said he was making up sandwiches in the buffet before going ashore and passing them out to local kids--LOL (Note: he was probably just joking trying to stir up a little ire.)

Anyway, I really hadn't paid much attention to this issue until then as we never take food off the vessel, if we eat anything it is usually lunch as part of a shore excursion or during our winery visits (I say, when in doubt over what to do on shore, take a winery tour). Our cruise involved a TA with about 18 port calls in all, most in the Meditteranean.

I must admit, I didn't see any emphasis on not taking food off the ship in the form of written restrictions or otherwise. The passage contract which we all agree to has this to say though: "You shall be responsible for complying with the requirements of all immigration, port, health, customs, and police authorities, and all other laws and regulations of each country or state from or to which You will travel, as well as this Passage Contract. You must at all times obey all the rules, regulations and orders of the ship, Carrier and the Captain. You agree to assume and/or reimburse Carrier for any expenses or fines that may be incurred as a result of such noncompliance."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2416333

There were dogs checking all backpacks in Cozumel during Regals stop there last week. ALL food found was confiscated.

Yes there are usually checks in Cozumel but the last time we went there in Feb 2016 there was nothing in the patter & no announcements made prior to leaving the ship. Perhaps the dogs were for drugs.

We'll be there in a few weeks & I'll make it a point to test their check point & let you know.

Yes there are usually checks in Cozumel but the last time we went there in Feb 2016 there was nothing in the patter & no announcements made prior to leaving the ship. Perhaps the dogs were for drugs.

We'll be there in a few weeks & I'll make it a point to test their check point & let you know.

The dogs were for food - they were wearing agriculture ministry vests. There were two check points - the first gave you the chance to be honest that you had food. Everyone said no, no food, and were promptly outed by the sniffer dogs. It was comical to watch. They were not finding sealed things like granola bars - but were finding fruit etc. There were announcements on board our sailing not to take anything off and there was a notice in the patter. Most of the folks being outed were from the two carnival ships docked with us - and yes, I could tell because they were all wearing their carnival lanyards or carrying different towels.

My family was on Royal Caribbean's Allure Of The Seas two weeks ago. On the Cozumel stop there were Mexician officers at the pier checkpoint searching through passengers baggage. There was two large garbage pales full of produce, especially apples in the pales. Most passengers were clueless when advised by Mexician authorities that was was illegal to bring these types of items onshore.

Of course it will depend on what island you are visiting, but Grand Cayman, Cozumel and St. Martin have great beach restaurants, with quite extensive menus. I believe on Cozumel, Paradise Beach had the biggest shrimp I have ever seen, very tasty too! Sure beat a cooler full of sandwiches any day.

Edited by stoneharborlady