AARP Carnival Gift Cards

helene109

10 hours ago, ski_mom said:

Same - we are in Illinois about 45 minutes north of St Louis, so I usually say in Illinois, near St Louis.  We are about 5 hours from Chicago.

I hope they are pronouncing "Illinois" correctly.  When I say I grew up in Oregon, most people say "Oar-ruh-gone"? Is that near Wyoming?😉

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I hope they are pronouncing "Illinois" correctly.  When I say I grew up in Oregon, most people say "Oar-ruh-gone"? Is that near Wyoming?😉

Oh, no - many pronounce it with the "s" at the end lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/27/2023 at 10:22 PM, ski_mom said:

Same - we are in Illinois about 45 minutes north of St Louis, so I usually say in Illinois, near St Louis.  We are about 5 hours from Chicago.

We're not far from one another. 😉 Here's a trick we like to do. We always take St.L Cardinals shirts on vacation. If someone else is from the area and sees a Cardinals shirt, 9 times out of 10 they'll ask if we're from St. Louis. We were on the Horizon and ran into a couple from our hometown that way. What are the odds? On a ship with almost 4k passengers, out in the middle of the Caribbean sea, and run into people from the same small town.

13 hours ago, ski_mom said:

Oh, no - many pronounce it with the "s" at the end lol!

And they usually pronounce it as a Z. Illinoiz. What the heck, I've never heard anyone pronounce the S on Arkansas. 😒

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

We're not far from one another. 😉 Here's a trick we like to do. We always take St.L Cardinals shirts on vacation. If someone else is from the area and sees a Cardinals shirt, 9 times out of 10 they'll ask if we're from St. Louis. We were on the Horizon and ran into a couple from our hometown that way. What are the odds? On a ship with almost 4k passengers, out in the middle of the Caribbean sea, and run into people from the same small town.

And they usually pronounce it as a Z. Illinoiz. What the heck, I've never heard anyone pronounce the S on Arkansas. 😒

I always thought it was R-Kansas??????????????????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

We're big Cardinals fans, so DH often has on at least a Cards hat - definitely a good conversation starter!  I will admit, they are a bit hard to watch this year, but we keep putting ourselves through it!

That is so neat that you ran into someone from your hometown!

36 minutes ago, ski_mom said:

We're big Cardinals fans, so DH often has on at least a Cards hat - definitely a good conversation starter!  I will admit, they are a bit hard to watch this year, but we keep putting ourselves through it!

That is so neat that you ran into someone from your hometown!

A "bit hard" to watch? You are so kind - it's brutal!! DH is die-hard Cardinals fan; I think he has an ulcer, lol.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Does Carnival offer an AARP OBC? 

Also, @Tom-n-Cheryl not sure you are interested in MSC, but they offer 10 percent off to medical professionals.

That might be similar to their military discount - which on our next sailing was a moot point, as we opted to book a RS cabin (I guess they feel if you're paying that much, you're not concerned with saving money... dunno... LOL). It's worth looking into --- THANKS

Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

How would one get AARP OBC?  Booking through AARP?  TIA!

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

IDK.  Someone above said that HAL offered OBC for AARP members.

You need to just be an AARP member first.  You then just make your HAL reservation via them directly or through your travel agent.  Depending upon the type of cabin you are getting will determine the amount of the OBC.  Anywhere from 50-200.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

You need to just be an AARP member first.  You then just make your HAL reservation via them directly or through your travel agent.  Depending upon the type of cabin you are getting will determine the amount of the OBC.  Anywhere from 50-200.

You do have to get your membership verified after you join and before you book.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'm pretty sure Carnival themselves don't offer it. Out of curiosity, I looked at a few cruises on AARP's Travel Center and didn't see OBC as an offering, but that's not to say it never happens.

I'm not aware of AARP OBC being offered for Carnival cruises; I only know about HAL.

The cruises are not booked through AARP, they're booked direct w/HAL or a TA after your AARP membership is confirmed. Neither the gift cards nor the OBC has anything to do w/AARP Travel Center.

• Like 1

I've been doing some of the crossword puzzles on AARP, but the last 2-3 days it wouldn't give me points. The first time it happened, it said there was an error. Then a couple other times it said it couldn't award points because I had already completed that task, even though I hadn't. I'm hoping it's a temporary glitch.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 1:54 PM, kona_wahine said:

I grew up just outside of Independence, in Buena Vista. Do you know it?

My aunt lived on a farm on River Road, just outside of Independence.  Not Buena Vista, but close.  The last time I visited Salem, about five years ago I was amazed at how much has changed and how much hasn't changed.

• Like 1