What is happening to CC?😦

2aran

I have struggling from mid morning (U.K) time to get to grips with the new format of CC. I popped over to the HAL forum and found a link to retrieve the old style CC. I wonder if the two web sites will run side by side or will this old site disappear soon!

Apparently quite a few on the other side of the pond were contributing to the new look and referred to it as a 'test forum' with feedback provided by them over the last few months. I was not happy to find that P & O & Cunard do not feature in the lists of shipping companies when searching for the forums!

I am posting this message on the old style CC.

What are your thoughts (if you can find this chat forum?)

Looks like they've updated the forum. The layout is slightly different, and looks like we have a few new options.

Such as.. embedding videos!

hY9JaI8wIUk

And I see our avatars have been changed to roundels. Luckily mine still looks ok, but some others may need a little repositioning.

Edited by Monorail Orange

I found that if you click on the orange "COMMUNITY" at the top of this page

it takes you to a list of popular cruise pages you can click on :).

The only glitch I have is ..

When I click on "TEST THREAD" I get ...

SECURITY ALERT :eek:

The identity of this web site or the integrity of this connection

cannot be verified .

Three green ticks out of a possible four

but the amber fault is ... The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site .

Gives me the option to proceed with a yes or no or view certificate .:confused:

Reported it and left a post on the TEST page but rest of site works fine for me

so will steer clear of that page for now .

I don't like it that, using the new format, only the left-hand two-thirds of the window is devoted to displaying posts, with the right-hand third effectively being wasted space, Is anyone aware of a way to configure things to avoid that?

I don't like it that, using the new format, only the left-hand two-thirds of the window is devoted to displaying posts, with the right-hand third effectively being wasted space, Is anyone aware of a way to configure things to avoid that?

A quick fix if you're using desk top would be to "open tools" and expand page from 100% to 200%

The writing will be a tad large but no white spaces .;)

P.S. Those white spaces you can bet your life on it will soon be full of Adverts :rolleyes::)

Edited by kalos

A quick fix if you're using desk top would be to "open tools" and expand page from 100% to 200%

P.S. Those white spaces you can bet your life on it will soon be full of Adverts :rolleyes::)

I think you may have hit on the reason for the change.

Thanks for the suggestion. But as soon as I switch to another site, I will want to shrink the page down again to avoid continual horizontal scrolling, so I think I'll put up with it as it is.

I am missing something. It all looks the same to me?

Try going to top of page P&O Cruises ( UK ) and read Announcements

click on "Preview ! new cruise critic community forums are here - please read"

See if that helps;)

My lap top has been swapping between the new and the old site all day .

Yet my phone has stayed on the old format :confused:

Edited by kalos

I've now found out how to go back to the old style for the forum. If you click on Edit Profile, then right at the bottom of the page of settings that it takes you to is a drop-down list of forum styles. There are three possibilities. I tried switching from "Use Forum Default" to "Default Style". From their names, you would expect them to be the same, but in fact "Default Style" seems to be the old style and "Use Forum Default" the new one.

If using the new style, the easiest way to get to Edit Profile seems to be via the roundel with one's user ID that's displayed at the top right of the page.

I've now found out how to go back to the old style for the forum. If you click on Edit Profile, then right at the bottom of the page of settings that it takes you to is a drop-down list of forum styles. There are three possibilities. I tried switching from "Use Forum Default" to "Default Style". From their names, you would expect them to be the same, but in fact "Default Style" seems to be the old style and "Use Forum Default" the new one.

If using the new style, the easiest way to get to Edit Profile seems to be via the roundel with one's user ID that's displayed at the top right of the page.

Thank you so much for the advice. I find "the old way" much easier to navigate.

Cheers for that , I will keep the swap skin tip in mind for now and see how I get on with the new format.

I do like the idea of the "expand signature" as this leaves us to read the posts and expand them should we want to see cruise clocks etc .

PS The powers that be are putting a few ads in them white spaces ;)

( Just reverted back to the old style - again , on its own , give it half hour and it will be the new one again )

Best of both worlds as they say:rolleyes::D

Edited by kalos

Cheers for that , I will keep the swap skin tip in mind for now and see how I get on with the new format.

I do like the idea of the "expand signature" as this leaves us to read the posts and expand them should we want to see cruise clocks etc .

PS The powers that be are putting a few ads in them white spaces ;)

( Just reverted back to the old style - again , on its own , give it half hour and it will be the new one again )

Best of both worlds as they say:rolleyes::D

I think you're right. Mine seems to have now reverted to the new style. It looks as though it may not be possible to make the old style "stick". :( I see that in Edit Options, where you select the style it says "Please note that some forums here may override your skin choice temporarily." Where I suspect that "temporarily" may mean "permanently".)

Edited by jh1809
extra info

• Administrators

Hi all:

For those that missed the announcement that's been up, we are slowly displaying the new format. Some of you will see it, some won't. Some will see it on one computer, and if you use a tablet or another computer you may not. It's random at this point.

And yes, you can switch over using the tool mentioned. But, we will be switching everyone over to the new format very soon.

I'm glad you like the Expand Signature feature. it is the single most issue that has been communicated to us: some people really do not like have to scroll past them. Of course, we know so many of you love your signatures, so we think the Expand Signature feature is the best of both worlds.

Tip: Take a moment to tweak your signature -- you have room for a countdown clock and a couple of lines of text that will always show. Click on your User Name in the top right, and choose Edit signature.

Also we didn't want you to have to change much on your own, so we used your old avatars and signatures. Feel free to play around and find a new avatar that suits the "circle" a bit better.

Laura

Found out setting skin tool setting to "bug human 1.0" puts mine back to the new format,

so as Laura said " they are not permanent settings as yet".

Noted that on the new setting my viewing stats and post history seem to have disappeared :(

I am missing something. It all looks the same to me?

My lap top still has the old format, but my tablet shows the new one. Quite different looking but it seems to do most of the same things.

Only missing item so far is the lack of "top" button which is at the foot of each page on the old system, and gave me a quick way back to the top of the page.

My lap top still has the old format, but my tablet shows the new one. Quite different looking but it seems to do most of the same things.

Only missing item so far is the lack of "top" button which is at the foot of each page on the old system, and gave me a quick way back to the top of the page.

Just discovered the new format on my iPad. I like it - the traditional format was always difficult to read on the tablet.

Another site I visit regularly went through this exercise recently and yes it's true that it acquired adverts, but these were sympathetically placed to be largely unobtrusive.

I cannot see an 'Edit Profile' option anywhere. If this is the precise wording of the option, would you be kind enough to tell me exactly where it is? Alternatively, if the wording is different to this, what am I looking for and where is it? I've been into my profile but cannot find the options you describe.

I am sure I am not alone in absolutely hating this new format. There was nothing wrong with the old format but a hell of a lot wrong with the new one, which is clearly designed with adverts in mind rather than users. That's business of course, but I can see myself using the forum a lot less as it's not as easy on the eye.

I cannot see an 'Edit Profile' option anywhere. If this is the precise wording of the option, would you be kind enough to tell me exactly where it is? Alternatively, if the wording is different to this, what am I looking for and where is it? I've been into my profile but cannot find the options you describe.

I am sure I am not alone in absolutely hating this new format. There was nothing wrong with the old format but a hell of a lot wrong with the new one, which is clearly designed with adverts in mind rather than users. That's business of course, but I can see myself using the forum a lot less as it's not as easy on the eye.

Ah, just found it. For those like me who HATE the new format, you can revert under EDIT OPTIONS and not Edit Profile, the latter not being an option.

If you press the Home key on your keyboard it will take you back to the top of the page wherever you are on the thread (assuming you have a keyboard and not a tablet, the End key does the opposite).

Edited by CCFC

Ah, just found it. For those like me who HATE the new format, you can revert under EDIT OPTIONS and not Edit Profile, the latter not being an option.

Oops! Sorry about that. You may find that the reversion to the old format won't stick, though, as it hasn't for me.