Any News on ship Passengers being detained?

Karysa

Except People with LEGAL British Citizenship and Passports are being BANNED from entering

Likewise, people with student and work visas are being denied entry. Ditto refugees who had already been thoroughly vetted and given asylum visas. Ditto permanent residents with green cards. It's shocking.

Yes you can be a US citizen and have dual citizenship with any country.

It's possible, but not common........if someone wants to become a citizen of the US, they must give up their other citizenship, and if a US citizen wishes to gain citizenship in another country, they much give up US citizenship to do so. The only way a US citizen can have dual citizenship is to be born in the US of parents who are citizens elsewhere, or be born elsewhere to American citizens.

It's possible, but not common........if someone wants to become a citizen of the US, they must give up their other citizenship, and if a US citizen wishes to gain citizenship in another country, they much give up US citizenship to do so. The only way a US citizen can have dual citizenship is to be born in the US of parents who are citizens elsewhere, or be born elsewhere to American citizens.

Children born in the US to Canadian citizens (legally in US on a visa ect) are US citizens still correct? They would have to apply for but would be granted Canadian citizenship. These people could then move to Canada and get and travel on a Canadian passport. This was the case in the past. Is this still the case?

No. They have their green cards. No requirement that anyone must become a citizen, remember...

Of course, I know that. I just remember my grandparents who came to this country and could not wait to become citizens and did so (I am told) as soon as possible.

To live here for years and take advantage of the opportunities offered by doing so, and still have allegiance in your heart to Iran strikes me as strange.

Of course, I know that. I just remember my grandparents who came to this country and could not wait to become citizens and did so (I am told) as soon as possible.

To live here for years and take advantage of the opportunities offered by doing so, and still have allegiance in your heart to Iran strikes me as strange.

If you have moved to the UK to go to university and work (and pay taxes) legally, would you not still have some allegiance to the US where very likely your family still resides? Would you take out UK citizenship and denounce your US one?

I don't think so.

The rules seem to be changing minute by minute. Who knows what they are and what they mean? Watching the news shows this morning, you get different spokespeople saying different things. I really wonder who is in charge and who makes the decisions. If I were not a native born US citizen I would not leave the country for any reason right now.

If you have moved to the UK to go to university and work (and pay taxes) legally, would you not still have some allegiance to the US where very likely your family still resides? Would you take out UK citizenship and denounce your US one?

I don't think so.

I would not.

However, I was addressing a poster who was speaking of someone they knew that had been in the US for "decades" and who were not citizens and who were now afraid to visit their parents in Iran because they could not get back.

Just wondering why if they lived in the US for such a long time, they never thought of becoming citizens. I would.

Edited by mafig

I don't think so.

You are correct about many countries but the U.K. is not one of them. My DH is a dual citizen of the U.K. and the U.S. In fact, he gets his British passport from the government in the U.S.

Sorry Travelcat, the UK was a bad choice to use as my example. I hope my point was taken though that many people work and live in countries other than their own for many years and do not take citizenship of that country, nor do/did they have too. Until very recently, it truly wasn't that much of an issue.

Actually, the law prohibiting dual citizenship (or dual nationality) was struck down in 1967. While those seeking to gain US citizenship must swear an oath of allegiance foreswearing their previous citizenship, many countries do not recognize this oath as binding under their laws, and their laws may require a person who is both a US national and a national of that country to have that country's passport as well, and to use that to travel to/from that country.

Anyone who attained dual citizenship at birth can retain their dual citizenship, since they are not required to swear the oath of allegiance. Also, anyone who attained dual citizenship automatically, due to birth or any other legal reason in a foreign country, may retain their dual citizenship. Only those who apply voluntarily for citizenship abroad may, but not automatically, lose their US citizenship.

Edited by chengkp75

Apparently duel citizen Canadians and banned country citizens, were included in the ban originally. Conversations between the US and Canadian state departments ensued and then this was changed.

No, they were not. Here is a draft copy of the Executive Order:

http://documents.latimes.com/read-draft-copy-president-trumps-executive-order-immigration-and-refugees/

While many immigrant families applied for citizenship as quickly as possible, many, many did not, and not just from Iran, but from Ireland, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Japan and China. In the past, it was quite common for the first generation in the US not to be citizens, particularly if those people immigrated as adults, and had memories, good or bad, about their lives in their native countries. Being a US citizen does not make a person the greatest human being around, other countries have just as great a history and heritage as the US.

That is incorrect. The US does not require people to give up their citizenship of their country of origin when they become US citizens.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

"A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality. However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct. The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there. Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. nationality. Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose nationality.

Information on losing foreign nationality can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. nationality in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad."

While many immigrant families applied for citizenship as quickly as possible, many, many did not, and not just from Iran, but from Ireland, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Japan and China. In the past, it was quite common for the first generation in the US not to be citizens, particularly if those people immigrated as adults, and had memories, good or bad, about their lives in their native countries. Being a US citizen does not make a person the greatest human being around, other countries have just as great a history and heritage as the US.

Point taken.

However, those first generation immigrants came here and stayed.

Most did not travel back and forth to their native countries.

If they did. I would think they would prefer to have the blue book.

Point taken.

The difference is that in today's world, international travel is far more accessible than in the past. What makes the "blue book" any better than a passport from another country? Many immigrants come to the US, not because they hate their old country, or have reasons to leave, but because the opportunities for betterment are more available in the US. Therefore, they would not look down on their original passport.

I would not.

However, I was addressing a poster who was speaking of someone they knew that had been in the US for "decades" and who were not citizens and who were now afraid to visit their parents in Iran because they could not get back.

Just wondering why if they lived in the US for such a long time, they never thought of becoming citizens. I would.

I'm sure they have thought of it. They might even really have wanted to become a US citizen, but did not want to swear to turn their backs on the country of their family in order to do so.

I don't see that anywhere.....the only exclusions I see were for diplomatic visas, transit visas, and visas for international governments and organization employees (like the UN and NATO): "(excluding those foreign nationals traveling on diplomatic visas, North Atlantic Treaty Organization visas, C-2 visas for travel to the United Nations, and G-1, G-2, G-3, and G-4 visas)."

I don't see anything that specified Canada or Canadians in any way.

Sorry Travelcat, the UK was a bad choice to use as my example. I hope my point was taken though that many people work and live in countries other than their own for many years and do not take citizenship of that country, nor do/did they have too. Until very recently, it truly wasn't that much of an issue.

No problem and I did understand your point. BTW, my DH did not have to turn his back on his country in any way. He is as proud to be a U.S. citizen as a British citizen.

It is a personal choice if one wants to become a U.S. citizen but, in cases of what is going on now, being a U.S. citizen provides a level of protection that is not necessarily afforded to people with green cards. Really hope that this situation sorts itself out quickly. We do need to protect our borders but also allow people that have been here for a long time - are law abiding - working and paying taxes to continue to live here.

OTOH, if the government went into every prison in the U.S. and sent convicts that are here illegally back to their home country, I doubt if there would be many protests.

The difference is that in today's world, international travel is far more accessible than in the past. What makes the "blue book" any better than a passport from another country? Many immigrants come to the US, not because they hate their old country, or have reasons to leave, but because the opportunities for betterment are more available in the US. Therefore, they would not look down on their original passport.

You're the one who referenced the old immigrants not becoming citizens. My experience with my grandparents was different. They loved this country and the opportunities it presented.

I think that to leave your country for "betterment" is a pretty good reason.

However, if my heart still stayed true to my homeland, I would not become a citizen either. Would I be happy? No.

Point taken.

If I moved to the U.S I would NOT prefer to have a U.S passport, since my Swedish passport have more benefits. I wouldn't mind having two passports but I wouldn't give up my Swedish.

Wrong as usual :rolleyes:

individuals who are PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIENS, aka "Green Card" holders, are absolutely affected by this knee-jerk, goose-stepping pronouncement. The Federal Judge in Brooklyn just temporarily issued a stay for parts of this thoroughly wrong-headed Executive Order, but knowing how well the government communicates, Trump himself said that Green Card holders were subject to his ban and their re-entry would be considered on a case-by-case basis.

There is a thread on the board from a CCer who just cancelled their cruise because he/she was counseled to not leave the country because of their status. If I were that person, I'd send the bill to Trump :mad:

I spent months watching the US of A election. I am still in a state of shock!

Until somebody finds a 'legal' way to rid us all of this megalomaniac, I shall avoid any chance of setting foot on American soil.

Is it true only 45% of the population voted?

Is it true only 45% of the population voted?

No....of the population old enough to vote, almost 55% voted. Still very low, though. Their system is a little weird to some of us in other countries....they have to register separately and they used to have to choose a party with which to register (even though they are not obligated to vote for the party with which they've registered).....I'm not sure if there are any states that still require a person to join a party to be eligible to vote.

I don't see that anywhere.....the only exclusions I see were for diplomatic visas, transit visas, and visas for international governments and organization employees (like the UN and NATO): "(excluding those foreign nationals traveling on diplomatic visas, North Atlantic Treaty Organization visas, C-2 visas for travel to the United Nations, and G-1, G-2, G-3, and G-4 visas)."

I don't see anything that specified Canada or Canadians in any way.

The actual areas of concern are specified on Page 2, section C:

"I hereby find that the immigrant and non-immigrant entry into the United States of aliens from countries designated pursuant to Division O, Title II, Section 203 of the 2016 consolidated Appropriations Act...would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and I hereby suspend entry into the United States, as immigrants and nonimmigrants of such persons for 30 days from the date of this order."

In the 2016 consolidated Appropriations Act, Iraq and Syria are explicitly listed, Iran and Sudan are included as state sponsors of terrorism, and Libya, Somalia, and Yemen are in the “area of concern” as designated by the Department of Homeland Security. These are the ONLY countries citizens who cannot enter the US at this time and even so, this is only a 30 day suspension in order to give Homeland Security and the Dept. of Immigration time to put new processes in place.