Passport Renewal

wannagonow123

I am a pretty smart individual, but I am having a problem understanding the renewal policy. Please tell me if I have this correct.

I fill in the DS-82 and have recent photos, and my old passport then take to the post office, so they can accept a credit card, correct?

Now, I do see that under photo requirements, they state that both eyes must be open. On my current passport, one eye is closed, as when a flash is used, my left eye automatically shuts. (It's great with family group shots.. I'm usually the one that takes the photos). Anyhow, does anyone have any experience using the website photo app?

I just renewed mine this month. You do not pay with a credit card. Checks only. And if you take it to the post office and let them check it over, they charge you a handling fee. I just filled out the paperwork, had the picture taken and submitted it and my old passport myself. The post office will even give you the envelope with the address already printed on it. I mailed it off on Jan. 3rd, and received my new one on Jan. 27th. Less than four weeks.

I am a pretty smart individual, but I am having a problem understanding the renewal policy. Please tell me if I have this correct.

I fill in the DS-82 and have recent photos, and my old passport then take to the post office, so they can accept a credit card, correct?

Now, I do see that under photo requirements, they state that both eyes must be open. On my current passport, one eye is closed, as when a flash is used, my left eye automatically shuts. (It's great with family group shots.. I'm usually the one that takes the photos). Anyhow, does anyone have any experience using the website photo app?

Once you resolve the picture issue go to travel.state.gov and there will be links (both .pdf and fillable) to submit your DS-82 to the National Passport Center directly. You even have the option of choosing how fast you need your renewal to be processed.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We renewed by mail - didn't know we could do it online since you have to send your old passport. Anyway, got new pics at Walmart - around $8. Went to the post office to find that you didn't have to go into the passport office for a renewal. The lady at the postage counter looked over our paperwork free of charge before we packaged everything up. No credit cards for the fees, just checks. That was on January 21, so nothing back yet.

Fill out the form, get a picture, write a check, than place those 3 items, along with your old passport in an envelope, and mail it to the address on the form. Two weeks later you get it back. That's all you need to do.

Go to anyplace that takes passport photo's, get a picture, ask them not to use a flash, and you will have both eyes open.

The process is easy, and painless.

We renewed by mail - didn't know we could do it online since you have to send your old passport. Anyway, got new pics at Walmart - around $8. Went to the post office to find that you didn't have to go into the passport office for a renewal. The lady at the postage counter looked over our paperwork free of charge before we packaged everything up. No credit cards for the fees, just checks. That was on January 21, so nothing back yet.

My bad. What I meant was that you fill out the renewal application online, then print and sign it and mail everything to the National Passport Center.

They do not accept them on line, only via U.S. mail.

Sorry for the confusion.

Don't know about the photo app, we did our pictures at Costco. I don't recall the cost was but the person that took them did a couple till they got it right. They know what is required so no worries.

As someone else mentioned you can't pay with a credit card. Take your photos and forms to a acceptance facility and they'll make sure you have everything you need before sending it off.

Just did my renewal. I went to the government website and filled out the form via their online form and printed it. I got my photos at CVS for about $8. Then I went to my local post office and asked them the best way to send the our for a passport renewal. It was like $3 to send the document with picture, and my old passport.

I sent it off the first week of January and got it back on like around the 23rd. They sent my old passport back separately about a week later.

I recently used the photo app to get pictures for my passport renewal and it was easy. I took about 4 photos from different distances just to make sure I ended up with my face being the right size. I sent them electronically to Walgreens and paid less than $1 for the photos . One was perfect and I sent it in with my renewal and the Passport Office accepted it. I received my new passport in about 3 weeks.

So, if you have someone at home who can take your photo against a blank wall and a nearby store that prints photos, you are good to go.

I used their online app to correctly size the picture. It works very well.

I also printed the picture on my home printer (in color on photo paper). You just need to make sure your printer (or computer) doesn't automatically try to expand the 2"x2" photo.

Fill out the form, get a picture, write a check, than place those 3 items, along with your old passport in an envelope, and mail it to the address on the form. Two weeks later you get it back. That's all you need to do.

Go to anyplace that takes passport photo's, get a picture, ask them not to use a flash, and you will have both eyes open.

The process is easy, and painless.

Worked for us when we renewed in 2015.

I had to get a Brazilian visa spring of '15. They require a pix like a pp pix. ( and cost more than a pp). Got it at Walgreens Looked great considering. So in December '16 I sent the second copy in to renew my pp. back in 3 weeks. Old passport with the 10 yr Brazilian Visa inside took two weeks more. Nervous Nilly!

I sent ours with tracking info. $8 or $9 They were returned 2 weeks later saying picture was not included or not acceptable. Took another picture and sent in, again with tracking - another $8- 9. My dh's came back in a week with the same letter. Mine came four days latter - they were sent in the same envelope. Decided to try different photographer. Went to Walgreens. The guy pulled down a screen and took the pictures with a small camera. $28 for the two of us.

Our small postoffice doesn't know much so took it to a large towns main post office. I was surprised they still had an office - was told they didn't. I explained what was going on and she was shocked they were not acceoted. She pulled out a couple pictures that she had taken there. Our rejected pictures had a lighter background and the size was perfect. She could not understand why they were being returned. She gave us a stamped envelope and we took it to the counter and had to pay shipping again. So,after the three shipping charges and photo costs, we still have not received them back (two weeks) and our passport renewal process has been frustrating.

She said they do not want renewals to come to their office. The office is suppose to be for new passports. As of the beginning of the year, there is a new renewal form. Do not print them double sided or they will be returned.

Still have two months before we need them.

Just did my renewal. I went to the government website and filled out the form via their online form and printed it. I got my photos at CVS for about $8. Then I went to my local post office and asked them the best way to send the our for a passport renewal. It was like $3 to send the document with picture, and my old passport.

I sent it off the first week of January and got it back on like around the 23rd. They sent my old passport back separately about a week later.

I didn't know they sent the old one back. Also, I sent ours in at the post office. I put the items in the envelope right in front of the clerk. She never suggested (and I never thought of asking) that she would review my form. It's pretty straight forward.

We are surprised that anyone is confused by the process, which is very clearly stated on the State Department DS-82 form available online at the State Department web site. They even have a simple check-list to tell you if you are eligible to use the mail form. There are options (for an additional fee) for expedited renewal. Just read the form, and follow the instructions :). As to photos, we have always found that AAA offices know the current requirements and take many Passport photos on a daily basis. Just go to your nearest AAA office and trust them to get it right. Trying to do your own photos, or using some Kiosk at a mall is likely to result in a rejected photo (and major delays).

Hank

We are surprised that anyone is confused by the process, which is very clearly stated on the State Department DS-82 form available online at the State Department web site. They even have a simple check-list to tell you if you are eligible to use the mail form. There are options (for an additional fee) for expedited renewal. Just read the form, and follow the instructions :). As to photos, we have always found that AAA offices know the current requirements and take many Passport photos on a daily basis. Just go to your nearest AAA office and trust them to get it right. Trying to do your own photos, or using some Kiosk at a mall is likely to result in a rejected photo (and major delays).

Hank

Yes. Easy direction's.

We did our renewal's yesterday.

AAA photo's are Free for member's $12 for Non Member's.

:) Also learned of the 52 page passport for Frequent Traveler's. :)

Edited by biker@sea

You can't wear a white shirt, t-shirt, or blouse. Had to go back and second time as the first time I had a white shirt on. Made sure I was wearing a dark color!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

That's not listed on the photo requirements webpage.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

Requirements for a Good Passport Photo

Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper

Size of photo

2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size

Size of head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.

View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.

Recent, taken in the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance

No glasses

If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with your application.

Background must be plain white or off-white

Head must be directly facing the camera with your full face in view

Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open

In color

Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis

No hats or head coverings, unless you wear it daily for religious purposes. Your full face must be visible and your head covering cannot cast shadows on your face.

No headphones or wireless hands-free devices.

if you take it to the post office and let them check it over, they charge you a handling fee. ...

Our post office clerk did not charge any handling fee.

... AAA photo's are Free for member's $12 for Non Member's. ... .

We have both been AAA members for a lot of years and there was an $8+tax fee for each of us for taking our passport photos. Are you Premium members. We are not.

Edited by NMLady

Our post office clerk did not charge any handling fee.

We have both been AAA members for a lot of years and there was an $8+tax fee for each of us for taking our passport photos. Are you Premium members. We are not.

Oh!! Sorry. :o yes gold card.:o

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Easy direction's.

We did our renewal's yesterday.

AAA photo's are Free for member's $12 for Non Member's.

:) Also learned of the 52 page passport for Frequent Traveler's. :)

Got our new one today. :D

Less than 2 weeks.