Maasdam issues

Sr voyagers

We are on our first HAL cruise on the Maasdam from Auckland to San Diego. So far it has been a disappointment. We have had many issues from mixed up reservations, to a changed salon appointment that was made and paid for a month ago, to air conditioner not working (fortunately has been fixed), to wines and other liquor on the lists not being available (so far 4 wines and one liquor that we requested) although we just left New Zealand 2 days ago. We were told tonight that there are no New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs available and nothing will be restocked until we reach Hawaii (all are listed on the wine and beverage lists and in the wine package). Dinners have been below the standard of any ship we have previously sailed on. We find all of this unacceptable. Is this normal for HAL? We have already talked to the front office about most of these issues and will discuss the wine issue tomorrow and will report on their response. Previously we have sailed on Cunard, P & O, Seabourn, and Crystal and have never had problems such as these.

Sorry you are having problems.

Hope you get everything straightened out soon.

This is not normal for HAL.

Only once did we pre-order a wine package and there was only 1 one not available. After that we only did 2 more wine packages but we waited until we got on the ship before buying the packages just to see if everything that was listed was available.

Rather than speaking to the Front Office, ask for a meeting to be scheduled with the Hotel Director. Bring your written list of issues. I've found that the staff at the Front Desk tries to be helpful but often seems to say things to make the passenger happy. By talking to the person "in charge" you might get more accurate answers as well as real help with your issues. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MAasdam and Veendam are the two lowest rated HAL ships per Berlitz. I would not book either one in 2017 as there is a myriad of choice out there. Some will follow up on my comment and dispute the validity of Berlitz but I've found it to be an accurate ship to ship rating.

Maasdam 1239

Veendam 1234.

Scores in the 1200's are very low for mass market ships.

Rather than speaking to the Front Office, ask for a meeting to be scheduled with the Hotel Director. Bring your written list of issues. I've found that the staff at the Front Desk tries to be helpful but often seems to say things to make the passenger happy. By talking to the person "in charge" you might get more accurate answers as well as real help with your issues. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is great advice. But I would first try to work things out with the department heads where the problems have risen. When we had problems on the Koningsdam, (Pinnacle Grill) the manager told us to come to him first, not the front desk. Usually the Hotel Manager shouldn't have to be bothered unless the problems aren't resolved. Then I wouldn't hesitate to contact him. :)

great idea - stay off those ships -- then those of us who like them won't hear any complaining

Great advice!!!!!!

We love her!

Will be on her 2/25/18 28 day from our home town San Diego!

She is an old lady but she sure still has a lot to give!

I agree any issues take it up with higher management!

Sounds like you started off on the wrong foot and nothing will make you happy.

I am sorry!

Denise :)

We are on our first HAL cruise on the Maasdam from Auckland to San Diego. So far it has been a disappointment. We have had many issues from mixed up reservations, to a changed salon appointment that was made and paid for a month ago, to air conditioner not working (fortunately has been fixed), to wines and other liquor on the lists not being available (so far 4 wines and one liquor that we requested) although we just left New Zealand 2 days ago. We were told tonight that there are no New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs available and nothing will be restocked until we reach Hawaii (all are listed on the wine and beverage lists and in the wine package). Dinners have been below the standard of any ship we have previously sailed on. We find all of this unacceptable. Is this normal for HAL? We have already talked to the front office about most of these issues and will discuss the wine issue tomorrow and will report on their response. Previously we have sailed on Cunard, P & O, Seabourn, and Crystal and have never had problems such as these.

While I try to not write negative reviews or comments, I must say we experienced similar issues on our trip on the Maasdam last March. At that time we were told by staff that the ship had been sold and figured that was the reason. But over the following months the experts here on the HAL board pointed out that information wasn't correct. So who am I to argue with them?

We have no intention of going on her again. There are many others on this board who do not mind paying a good $ for less than exceptional service which we have had in the past on HAL. There just are many more ships and lines to go on who have a better track record and offer exceptional service.

Dan

Go figure; everyone's different, and has different needs/preferences/tastes. My sister and I were on Maasdam last September and loved her, and loved her crew. Would not hesitate to sail on her again.

In my experience, addressing issues of concern with the appropriate department head, such dining room or housekeeping supervisors, or the beverage manager, is helpful. Another excellent staff resource person on board is the Guest Relations Manager; see if you can speak to him/her. If one is traveling in a Neptune or Pinnacle suite, the Neptune lounge concierges can be of assistance as well.

We were on the Maasdam for 66 days in Oct/Nov 2016 and it was great. We are not wine drinkers so don't know about that as an issue on our cruise. We had one issue where pipe broke in a cabin down the hall and it got our cabin carpet wet about 4 feet into the room. The guest relations manager was great. Immediately moved us to a different cabin for one night while the dried out the carpet - gave us a complimentary Pinnacle meal and $150 OBC. Mike Mahn was the Hotel Director at the time and was also in the middle of issue helping the crew members make things right. Mike is an outstanding HD and I am happy to hear that he will be on the Rotterdam when we board in 2 weeks.:D

Sorry your cruise did not go as planned but what you experienced is not typical HAL.

We LOVE the MAASDAM!! We were on her to Alaska in May 2016 for 14 days and EVERYTHING was amazing.....so we are now booked and excited to be on her for 33 days in March/April coming up!! We LOVED the staff and actually keep in touch with a few via email or Facebook, the meals were great, EVERYTHING was great. No issues at all. We are not wine drinkers.....but love our BEER!

Don't want others thinking this is a terrible ship because it is the BEST!!!!

Happy cruising everyone

As Maasdam was cruising around New Zealand for several days before departing from Auckland, I am very disappointed to know that the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc wines are not available on board the ship.

Surely it would have been easy for HAL to restock the wines before leaving Auckland.

Please let us know the outcome of your meetings.

The vast majority of cruise ship's stores comes by container from USA.

The next storing for Maasdam seems to be in Hawaii. If there is any NZ wine coming onboard it would have been sourced in US.

The other cruises you have been on are of a higher grade than HAL with the possible exception of P&O UK.

I was on a sector of Arcadia's world cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong last year & they did take some stores in NZ including mussels & the best lamb in the world.

You cannot complain about the food on any line when most of it has been frozen for months.

The vast majority of cruise ship's stores comes by container from USA.

The next storing for Maasdam seems to be in Hawaii. If there is any NZ wine coming onboard it would have been sourced in US.

Thank you for the information, during one cruise around New Zealand there were no Kiwi Fruit available on board, at Mount Maunganui we saw truck loads of boxed Kiwi Fruit a few yards away from the ship, ready to be exported.

…. to wines and other liquor on the lists not being available (so far 4 wines and one liquor that we requested) although we just left New Zealand 2 days ago. We were told tonight that there are no New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs available and nothing will be restocked until we reach Hawaii (all are listed on the wine and beverage lists and in the wine package).

Funny that you had just left NZ and there was no NZ wine. Reminds me of our Med cruise a few years back when we ran into a similar problem. We had been in Venice exploring for several days and then boarded our HAL ship for a B2B. That first night we ordered a nice wine with dinner. No. And another. No. And Another. Fourth attempt, we found a wine. We were told they would restock the wine supply in Istanbul. hmmm. The next day, as we had overnighted in Venice, we dashed off the ship before sailing to find our fav wine store and brought back several bottles of Italian "finds" to enjoy. We did pay corkage in the dining room (this was the year before the "one bottle per" limit). We also picked up wines along the way. I never could understand how they could be in the Med and not have a great choice of wines. Corporate restocking rules?