surprised on people dressing up on regal

tommy47

my wife and I just came back from a cruise on regal and were really surprised at the way people dressed on the cruise. we have been reading how casual things are getting but on the 2 formal nights we saw more guys wearing tuxes and coats and ties and woman wearing cocktail type dresses than weve seen recently on other cruises. even on the other nights there were quite a few guys with sport coats and woman wearing dresses. on the formal nights there were a few who went to the buffet instead and decided to just stay in their shorts which is fine if that's what they like. everyone has a choice which is great. I will say one thing for those who are debating which way to go on the formal nights. I think at the end of the night you will wish you did the dress up thing. its just a nice experience.

my wife and I just came back from a cruise on regal and were really surprised at the way people dressed on the cruise. we have been reading how casual things are getting but on the 2 formal nights we saw more guys wearing tuxes and coats and ties and woman wearing cocktail type dresses than weve seen recently on other cruises. even on the other nights there were quite a few guys with sport coats and woman wearing dresses. on the formal nights there were a few who went to the buffet instead and decided to just stay in their shorts which is fine if that's what they like. everyone has a choice which is great. I will say one thing for those who are debating which way to go on the formal nights. I think at the end of the night you will wish you did the dress up thing. its just a nice experience.

I agree! :D

My husband and I did dress up on both nights. We had heard that on Princess people do dress up both nights and most did. We loved all of our photos as well they do a good job. Prepay for the photo package if you can. We paid $99 and got 4 free gifts from Shutterfly. It was a total bargain. We came home with 147 photos and they were all nice. If you don't want to dress up that is fine too less to pack.

We take the same amount of clothes for seven days or thirty days. It all fits in one suitcase each and that includes a tux and two formal dresses along with other smart casual clothes. I don't get many chances to see my DH in a tux so I enjoy formal nights.

I don't own a tux and have actually never worn one. If my %@^@* size would stay the same I might have purchased one but...

I wear a dark suit on formal nights. I have even been known to wear the vest with it from time to time. A suit is not actually "formal" but works well under the circumstances. It's not as comfortable to wear as casual clothing (as I can't afford custom tailored clothing) but is really not a big deal and makes my wife happy. I would feel weird dressing casually in MDR on a formal night.

I have, however, reverted to shorts after dinner on a formal night when we were going up to watch a movie on MUTS. Wearing a suit while lying on a lounger on a Panama Canal cruise just doesn't make sense at all!

my wife and I just came back from a cruise on regal and were really surprised at the way people dressed on the cruise. we have been reading how casual things are getting but on the 2 formal nights we saw more guys wearing tuxes and coats and ties and woman wearing cocktail type dresses than weve seen recently on other cruises. even on the other nights there were quite a few guys with sport coats and woman wearing dresses. on the formal nights there were a few who went to the buffet instead and decided to just stay in their shorts which is fine if that's what they like. everyone has a choice which is great. I will say one thing for those who are debatinng which way to go on the formal nights. I think at the end of the night you will wish you did the dress up thing. its just a nice experience.

Meny will disagree with with your last wo sentences.

My experience is that how many people dress up and to what degree is highly influenced by where the embarkation port is and where the cruise goes to.

I've found that if the cruise requires a lot of travel by many of the passengers to the port of embarkation or if the cruise requires a lot of cold weather clothes or both cold and warm weather clothes, there are fewer people that dress up as formally. They usually bring something passable for formal night, but something that requires less packing space.

I think this is due to luggage issues. You can only pack so much and if something has to go, its more likely the extra dressy clothes.

My experience is that Caribbean cruises and cruises leaving out of California tend to be dressier on formal night.

Don't know what other people have experienced, this is based on my personal observations.

Edited by vmom

What I really enjoy is that Princess allows just a shirt, tie and slacks on formal nights in the dining room. (actually a tie isn't required)

So unless you really enjoy lugging the extra clothing along to dress for the few hours in the DR you can get by without all the extra unnecessary clothing.

My experience is that how many people dress up and to what degree is highly influenced by where the embarkation port is and where the cruise goes to.

I've found that if the cruise requires a lot of travel by many of the passengers to the port of embarkation or if the cruise requires a lot of cold weather clothes or both cold and warm weather clothes, there are fewer people that dress up as formally. They usually bring something passable for formal night, but something that requires less packing space.

I think this is due to luggage issues. You can only pack so much and if something has to go, its more likely the extra dressy clothes.

My experience is that Caribbean cruises and cruises leaving out of California tend to be dressier on formal night.

Don't know what other people have experienced, this is based on my personal observations.

Do not know where else you have cruised but we have seen a lot dressier crowd on our European cruises. We also tend to see people in general dress well on Princess for formal night. Have friends who enjoy cruising but prefer not to dress and they use the formal nights as their nights to splurge at the Crown or Sabatini's. I think it is nice that Princess offers a variety of options to satisfy its range of customers.

That's great!

We've done a lot of Princess cruises and can agree with the point that it depends sometimes on your embarkation port. Cruises from Southampton by definition have a greater number of British cruisers on board. The dressing for dinner is a long- established tradition on the u.k, especially with the slightly older generation. Also for obvious reasons, many cruising from Southampton do not have baggage weight restrictions as many can drive to the port.

Still, it is still nice for passengers to have the choice of dressIng as they feel comfortable with.

I saw very few men in tuxedos on our cruise last month on the Caribbean Princess. I wore a sports coat with dress shirt and tie the first formal night. On the second one, I ditched the tie. Many men did not wear coats. DH, on the other hand, will wear ties some casual evenings. To each his own.

I guess for some -me included- its the James Bond look of a tux. If I dress for dinner (uk trad) it makes me happy to see other people do it. I can wear shorts and tshirt at home any time but I want my cruise experience to be special. If, for example, you wear suits at work and you're on a cruise to relax, I'd still be happy to sit at your table for dinner.... My glass is half full!

Yes on Princess they do dress up more compared to Carnival and RCCL.

We just returned from the Royal Southern Caribbean and enjoyed both formal nights. The majority of the passengers did dress up for formal night and the men looked very nice in their dark suits and tuxes. It was rare to see someone in the MDR not dressed up to some extent. I guess that most people who chose not to dress up were at the Horizon Court.

My Tux goes with us - the garment bag always goes anyway so one suit and a couple shirts are no real extra burden. I've rented too and that worked well. Even have gold (tone) propeller studs and cuff links.

It may be mental, but I seem to do better at the black jack table when wearing a tux - that James Bond factor huh?

I was bugging my then 10 YO DGS about dressing up. Putting on a shirt, tie and suit. He was getting pissy with me (and he never ever does that). He was bordering on rude until I put a stop to it. I told him that Grandpa and I would want to take him to nice places to eat as he grows up and that might require a suit. No! I don’t want to discuss it, he says. About an hour later I ask him again. He is adamant that he is never going to wear a suit.

Well, we were pushing the subject because we knew that we were taking the kids on a cruise and the rule is on cruises this family has always dressed up. My kids have been cruising since they were 7 YO and that has always been the rule. First for them and now for their children.

I explained to him that there will be occasions in his life where wearing a suit is necessary so he might as well get used to it. He might even have to wear one to work. I told him for weddings and funerals you also would wear a suit. It is respect for the event, that you are dressing up to show respect to the deceased or for the happy couple.

So, for Christmas we tell the kids about the cruise by having them open their carry on suitcases that they take with them when they go away for the weekend. It is loaded with cruise information and stuff to take on the cruise. Once he figured out that the present was a cruise he turned to me and said, “Well, Grandma. It looks like I need to buy a suit.” I couldn’t help but laugh.

So we are on the cruise and he dresses for the first formal night. No problem. The second formal night he was asking if he really had to dress up again. I explained to him that since it was formal night it would be disrespectful of him to look like crap while everyone else was dressing up. Did he somehow feel he was more important than everyone else and that his lack of respect should ruin the occasion for others? No, he felt he should dress up.

He must have been paying attention because after the cruise he had to go to an audition for a play. He wanted the main character. His mom is waiting for him to get ready and out he walks with his suit, shirt and tie on. He told her he wanted to impress them. He also chose to wear his suit when he knew he was getting an award at school.

We found out later his biggest objection was that the shirt was scratchy. Once he put on an undershirt he was fine LOL.

It makes me crazy when I hear parents asking if their 12 or 15 YO sons can wear shorts to the dining room because they just don’t like to wear long pants. Do they think that if these kids get a job their employers are going to let them wear shorts to work?

Oh, we almost always sail on Princess.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I imagine if you cruise a lot it would be tedious.

Never! We cruise a lot and don't get the chance to dress up in our everyday lives, so a cruise is the opportunity to don our bib and tucker. It's a thrill to indulge our glamorous side onboard and we love that Princess upholds the traditions of old style cruising. To see the kids wearing their formal gear as well is encouraging for the future.