Drunk and rude cruisers

Ship2shoreCO

I agree fully.

It is an unwritten rule and I have seen it observed on every HAL tour I have ever been on.

I have, too. On every single tour. I've seen passengers get very huffy if someone has taken "their" seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And herein lies the problem. Just as on the bus, some posters believe that taking the same seat is "common knowledge" while others have never heard of it. Each side is making assumptions about the other ... sounds like everything on the news for the last couple of months. Is this the best discourse we're going to be capable of?

I'm willing to admit that this never occurred to me as common practice or courtesy so I've probably run afoul of some folks with my bus behavior.

For several years I've been running land tours that usually include multiple bus rides; I will feel like I've failed to create a communal environment if I ever have a group where I have to explain how to seat themselves on a bus.

Note to self: try to be kind, thoughtful, and flexible on bus tours. It won't cost me anything and will probably make my cruise better.

I'm sure there have been times I've been knowingly or unknowingly rude in the past. OP, if I had been your wife and was acting on the information she was given, I would have wanted to push back also. She asked, she tried.

It's sad that a couple of rude people can affect a trip more than hundreds of nice people. Please come back for the nice people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am impressed with those of you that can remember which seat was yours!

I always extend both arms - fully. Then, I throw back my shoulders. Continuing the motion, I sweep backwards and down. I position my hands, palms up - fingers slightly outstretched, as if I am going to catch a grapefruit or small cantaloupe.

Eventually I come in contact with two firm surfaces. That's how I know that I've found my seat.

As a double check, I look at the wallet I've grasped. If the picture is me, I am successful.

I always extend both arms - fully. Then, I throw back my shoulders. Continuing the motion, I sweep backwards and down. I position my hands, palms up - fingers slightly outstretched, as if I am going to catch a grapefruit or small cantaloupe.

Eventually I come in contact with two firm surfaces. That's how I know that I've found my seat.

As a double check, I look at the wallet I've grasped. If the picture is me, I am successful.

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, position that seat in whatever seat is open...

I'm saddened to hear that your wife was subject to such boorish behaviour from your fellow passengers.

From the first time we cruised my husband has had to deal with at least one passenger thinking he is crew. He is Chinese but to some it seems being Asian is enough to justify that assumption. In the past he's been asked for towels, drinks and directions, and even once had a HAL staff member try and usher him through the crew check in line in Amsterdam ... We usually laugh it off but there has been the odd passenger who has upset him. One lady prodded him with her cane as he was walking by the pool on the Koningsdam. She was berating him for there being no clean towels available and when he explained he wasn't crew she said he shouldn't walk around looking like a crew member then ... We've yet to see any other crew members in a pair of green flowery swim shorts and not much else !!!

The bus incident I feel could have been handled much better by the passenger involved. You can't just go around thinking everyone thinks the same and so him quietly explaining that seats are usually (although not exclusively) kept to the same occupants would have been better than going off on a rant. Bravo to your wife for wanting to stand her ground on this matter ...

I'm saddened to hear that your wife was subject to such boorish behaviour from your fellow passengers.

From the first time we cruised my husband has had to deal with at least one passenger thinking he is crew. He is Chinese but to some it seems being Asian is enough to justify that assumption. In the past he's been asked for towels, drinks and directions, and even once had a HAL staff member try and usher him through the crew check in line in Amsterdam ... We usually laugh it off but there has been the odd passenger who has upset him. One lady prodded him with her cane as he was walking by the pool on the Koningsdam. She was berating him for there being no clean towels available and when he explained he wasn't crew she said he shouldn't walk around looking like a crew member then ... We've yet to see any other crew members in a pair of green flowery swim shorts and not much else !!!

Same thing has happened to me (Chinese) before on a Formal night. I was wearing my 'tux' and a lady asked me for more butter when I was sauntering out of the MDR. In order to have a little fun I told her I need to 'service' the other lady (my wife) first. That's when she noticed my fancy bow tie and cummerbund, and she blurted out ' oh, you are not the captain!?

We both had a good laugh.

Tom

The unwritten rule, but fairly well followed, of sticking to the same seats during the complete excursion prevents having fights for seats after each stop, especially the short photo stops.

Just imagine the fun if you have several people that want the front seats. You would get into rather entertaining situations were some people get off for a photo stop and have others move up to grab their seats while they are off. Watched that happen on one excursion, until the bus driver put an end to it.

It's my understanding that there are security cameras in most public areas on the ship so even with no photo from you security should have been able to identify them. I'm so sorry you had to put up with rude people. If it happens again don't hesitate to report, some people require a knock on the head to learn a lesson!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same thing has happened to me (Chinese) before on a Formal night. I was wearing my 'tux' and a lady asked me for more butter when I was sauntering out of the MDR. In order to have a little fun I told her I need to 'service' the other lady (my wife) first. That's when she noticed my fancy bow tie and cummerbund, and she blurted out ' oh, you are not the captain!?

We both had a good laugh.

Tom

This discussion reminds me of a short story in Capt. Hans Mateboer's book which I read on our last cruise. He is actually a HAL captain currently I believe, but the book was written quite a few years ago. Anyway one of the stories is about an elderly couple who apparently thought he was a maintenance man and insisted he go to their cabin immediately and repair their AC, then the woman proceeded to attack him with her cane. Anyway as the story turns out they were both senile and couldn't even remember their cabin number or last name and their daughter was trying to locate them. So...I guess "mistaken" identity can happen to anyone, even the captain. Anyone looking for an entertaining read on a cruise should check out his book called "The Captain's Log". Just some short stories from his career at sea. But entertaining especially when you are on a cruise.

Also, back to the boorish passenger disembarked at HMC. Rumor on- board was that he was evacuated via helicopter, but didn't see it so not sure. But expense of evacuation no problem for him, I am sure, as about every other sentence from his mouth was "I am a millionaire" only more frequented by the "F" word. Whatever it cost, sure don't feel sorry for him in the least.

I'm sorry that your wife had to deal with the ignorant drunks in the Lido Market. Sadly, these people are probably just as clueless when they are sober.

As for the bus situation, I'm surprised that your wife wanted to "stand her ground". We have taken many excursions by bus and most of the times everybody goes back to their original seats. Perhaps your wife was unfamiliar with this practice. You mention that he did not leave something on the seat to indicate he wanted it back. He may not have had anything to put there that he wished to leave behind, unguarded. At any rate, the polite thing to do would be to give the seat back even if he DIDN'T have a right to it. He may have been rude, but it's better to be the bigger person in situations such as these.

I have been on bus tours,and I haven't gotten the same seat on the return , especially if I had a forward seat, I just took another empty seat, and no one ever fussed. I guess we had good sight seeing folks

Terri

OK, a couple of things.........1/ although several people post that it is the normal etiquette on HAL tours for seats to be considered reserved, at no stage, as far as I can see, has OP said that they were on a HAL tour. It could have been a privately organised tour.

2/ It's a bus! If there is no seat number on my ticket, then I expect to be able to sit anywhere at anytime (providing that no one is already sitting in it :D)

OK, a couple of things.........1/ although several people post that it is the normal etiquette on HAL tours for seats to be considered reserved, at no stage, as far as I can see, has OP said that they were on a HAL tour. It could have been a privately organised tour.

2/ It's a bus! If there is no seat number on my ticket, then I expect to be able to sit anywhere at anytime (providing that no one is already sitting in it :D)

I agree...why should some people get to keep the same seat all day long while others who paid the same price get a lesser seat...unless the tour guide states otherwise it should be first come first choice with the exception of a few seats for disabled at the front. Not all that different than rude people saving pool or lido seats for long periods of time.

Many years ago, on the last day of an Alaska cruise, I got up a dressed in white pants and a blue sweater. All morning long people would stop me and ask "where's the Lido" "could you give me the time" ---- question after question. Then I realized that I was dressed the same way that the cruise staff dressed. ----- funny thing is that only one person said "thank you"

I think it's just common sense to keep the seat that you have first chosen on the tour bus. It's not musical chair at every stop the bus makes.

However, we must be patient, and amicable at some heated behavior. At any time anyone may get flustered, and anxious, which may seem rude, but its not intended.....hopefully :)

Some situations are always strange or funny, depending on circumstance. Easier to be like a duck, and let the water roll off.

i agree...why should some people get to keep the same seat all day long while others who paid the same price get a lesser seat...unless the tour guide states otherwise it should be first come first choice with the exception of a few seats for disabled at the front. Not all that different than rude people saving pool or lido seats for long periods of time.

+ 1!!

The O.P. said that he has a sight impairment and uses a white cane. The tour operator (bus driver) should have reserved a front seat for him and his wife with a sign including their name and marked HANDICAPPED ONLY.

This is what was done on all of the HAL bus excursions that my late husband and I took. (We had 15 HAL cruises togather and usually went on a HAL excursion in every port). The spouse is seated beside the handicapped person to help or give assistance if needed.

We have seen the tour guide and the bus drivers tell people they can not sit in the front handicapped seats; one time even telling a rude ablebodied passenger trying to take a handicapped seat that he would have to either move himself or he would have to leave the bus..

Edited by lazey1

The O.P. said that he has a sight impairment and uses a white cane. The tour operator (bus driver) should have reserved a front seat for him and his wife with a sign including their name and marked HANDICAPPED ONLY.

This is what was done on all of the HAL bus excursions that my late husband and I took. (We had 15 HAL cruises togather and usually went on a HAL excursion in every port). The spouse is seated beside the handicapped person to help or give assistance if needed.

We have seen the tour guide and the bus drivers tell people they can not sit in the front handicapped seats; one time even telling a rude ablebodied passenger trying to take a handicapped seat that he would have to either move himself or he would have to leave the bus..

Absolutely correct, but I have seen people taking those seats for various reasons.

Are they really in need of them? I know one couple wasn't as I saw them on the dance floor on a cruise. I'm not judging but someone who can dance the night away can manage to walk more than two seats down on a bus IMO.

I have seen people that needed those seats (obviously) have to find different ones, sadly.

One of the reasons I prefer private tours. If there is an uncomfortable or less favourable seat, we switch around so no one is "stuck" with that one.

But, on HAL's tours, I have found that most people take the same seat they had at the beginning.

I agree...why should some people get to keep the same seat all day long while others who paid the same price get a lesser seat...unless the tour guide states otherwise it should be first come first choice with the exception of a few seats for disabled at the front. Not all that different than rude people saving pool or lido seats for long periods of time.

Yes, and the disability was visible with the OP using a white cane!

I don't know why some cruisers have to be so rude.

Because they are living in the present.

I find most people to be more rude than not whether they are on a cruise or not.

They were bullies in school & that hasn't changed.

They are emboldened by the anonymity of the internet.

They are thinking "I'm never going to see them again, it doesn't matter how I act."

Without delving into misogyny, racism, etc. that are becoming more "acceptable" in public.

Because they are living in the present.

I find most people to be more rude than not whether they are on a cruise or not.

They were bullies in school & that hasn't changed.

They are emboldened by the anonymity of the internet.

They are thinking "I'm never going to see them again, it doesn't matter how I act."

Without delving into misogyny, racism, etc. that are becoming more "acceptable" in public.

Absolutely agree. And it is only getting worse as this behavior becomes the accepted norm, at least in the USA.

Had I been your wife, and was approached to get those folks drinks, I would have taken their order, told them to have a seat, and then left....wonder how long they'd sit there, waiting?

I would not recommend impersonating HAL staff under any circumstances.

The over worked HAL staff have enough to deal with; they do not need to be bothered with additional contrived confrontations. This shorted sighted action may bring a little satisfaction to the affected party, however, the "rude" passengers will undoubtedly take umbrage with the "real" staff demanding why their drinks have not arrived yet.