Help and avice please.

murphs14

Good morning, some help please,

I read with interest recently a long moan, actually from a cruise agent that works for one of the larger cruise sales companies,

She was bemoaning that on a recent trip, she had been badgered constantly to buy speciality restaurant spaces and photos. She said that getting an acceptable cabin, one that is not noisy, is like winning the lottery.

NOw I have only experienced one cruise three years ago on the Celebrity Soltice,t and apart from the horrendous rudeness of our cousins to the obviously overworked staff, it was ok at best. Lack of dress code being enforced was another of her bugbears and children being allowed in non children areas.

Doesn't sound like cruising has come very far?

The reason for this post is that I would like to know are there cruise lines out there that don't treat their guests l ike fools to be exploited once on board?I'm a great believer in "You get what you pay for" and I don't mind paying a reasonable amount, but I don't my leg lifted. I don't want to be processed and wrung out for every last penny after paying up front for what is not a cheap holida to start with. I would like to be treated as a valued guest

The lines suggested by KK are amongst the most expensive. But as you acknowledge, you get what you pay for.

Nickel-and-diming is pretty rife in the cruise industry, worse on some lines than others. This is because of the Great God, the sticker price - keep the basic price low, make your money on the extras is the American way.

I don't understand the "getting an acceptable cabin is a lottery" comment - the vast majority are at least acceptable. The lady's a cruise agent, was her cruise a freebie????

Yes, I've seen kids in adults-only areas - but only a very very few, and quiet well-behaved ones. If they'd been noisy or invasive I'd have complained, though others would probably have beaten me to it. Live and let live. :cool:

I'll agree about dress codes. Some, like NCL, proclaim loudly that they don't do dress codes. Some, like Cunard, do enforce their dress codes. Bur having a dress code and not maintaining it is a nonsensical mish-mash.

Yes, on some ships sell-sell-sell is tiresome. But a polite "no thanks" is easy, and I've always found it readily accepted.

Perhaps the lady should walk the souks of Tangier or Cairo to see the real meaning of the word "badgering" :D

All just MHO as always ;)

JB :)

I have only being cruising Royal Caribbean and Celebrity - A total of 26 cruises!

Always had good cabins without noise and absolutely newer experienced any pressure to buy specialty restaurant or photos.

Good service and nice cruise experiences - always been treated as a valued guest!!!

I read with interest recently a long moan, actually from a cruise agent that works for one of the larger cruise sales companies,

She was bemoaning that on a recent trip, she had been badgered constantly to buy speciality restaurant spaces and photos.

Consider the source. If the same trip had been reviewed by someone with a family, likely the reports would have been radically different.

I would question the competence of someone who was planning a laid back, relaxing cruise experience and then booked a voyage at a time when the ship would be filled with families, children, etc.

Where was the cruise? A Caribbean sailing will result in a totally different experience than one in the Med, Baltic, South America or even Alaska.

Sail HAL, Princess or Celebrity when (US) school is in session and itineraries longer than 7 days for better experiences.

Edited by thinfool

We've been on well over a dozen cruises and we've never had a cabin that was noisy. We traveled for many years with family and a few of the cruises were with a very LARGE extended family. Our kids are all grown up now, still cruising with us. We've never had a bad experience with a cabin being noisy and with the number of cabins on various levels and class that all of our family has had, we never heard a complaint about noise, and we certainly have never won the cruise lottery to get a good cabin. We book early. Usually a year or close. We pick the date, knowing that we still have to pick a time during the summer (peak time for families and lots of kids) because our family includes teachers...who certainly want a break from kids. We pick a mid-ship cabin. We've cruised with an inside, OV and balcony, with the vast majority of our cruises being balcony. The only time we heard any noise at all was from a large family on the cruise to celebrate an anniversary. The people in the balcony cabin would have 10-12 people on their balcony and that meant they were pretty much squished in and it got loud. It was brief. We've never experienced an intrusion by children in adult only areas. On a cruise when the weather has been really bad, they have opened up the adult pool to the families with kids. Even then, there weren't that many and we didn't feel the need to run or escape the area. We've been asked if we would like to book a specialty restaurant. A simple "no thank you" or even shaking your head and they kept walking. We've had the photographers be more aggressive in pestering us and we've been more aggressive in saying no on the few occasions that shaking our head or saying "no thank you" didn't work. One "ask me again or keep following me and I'll report you" works. There is no main line cruises that don't expect the tips/gratuities. It's a charge we know is coming. On most, you now buy a drink package or buy by the drink. We buy once on board if we don't get a deal that includes it. There's a table set up, we approach them, buy it and it's no big deal. We've never been harassed to play Bingo, use the arcade,purchase a watch, liquor, scarves, t-shirts or to buy anything else like that so I don't consider this nickel and diming. I don't buy into the Specialty dining. If I'm going to pay $35-50 pp for a meal, it will be when I get back home and not on a ship where I've already paid for the food, which I don't have a problem with anyway. JMO. Plenty of people prefer to use Specialty Dining and it's there for them to use if they choose. We usually book a cruise to get out at the port and do some fun things not available at home. We once chose a last minute cruise because we JUST needed a break and some relaxation. It was during our Spring break. The cruise was cheap, short (4-day) and the itinerary was to places we had already been. That would usually be a recipe for disaster if you are looking to relax but it wasn't. When we arrived at the ports, we didn't get off the ship. The pool area was almost deserted. We relaxed and rested. Even on the day at sea, we found a spot on the deck above the pool and we hit the spa. The dress code is always going to be too lax for some and too restrictive for others. We deserted the long gowns and tux route long ago. We have always respected it and a little black dress and shirt and tie will still be acceptable. I formal is your thing, you can still do it. We've learned to like packing lighter. This kind of negativity, especially coming from a travel agent is just crazy. I hope this travel agent doesn't specialize in cruise vacations. We've had glitches but we've never had a bad cruise. We were on a cruise in December and will be on a cruise in June and we are counting the days.

She was bemoaning that on a recent trip, she had been badgered constantly to buy speciality restaurant spaces and photos. She said that getting an acceptable cabin, one that is not noisy, is like winning the lottery.

NOw I have only experienced one cruise three years ago on the Celebrity Soltice,t and apart from the horrendous rudeness of our cousins to the obviously overworked staff, it was ok at best. Lack of dress code being enforced was another of her bugbears and children being allowed in non children areas.

The reason for this post is that I would like to know are there cruise lines out there that don't treat their guests l ike fools to be exploited once on board?I'm a great believer in "You get what you pay for" and I don't mind paying a reasonable amount, but I don't my leg lifted. I don't want to be processed and wrung out for every last penny after paying up front for what is not a cheap holida to start with. I would like to be treated as a valued guest

You should use Cruise Critic as a research library.

Hi and Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

Well, it sounds like what you read spooked you. That's too bad. While every one's opinion is just that, their opinion, we all experience things differently and have different expectations of how our Holiday should play out.

It sounds like you only thought your cruise was OK when you went on it years ago. I will say that it's not worth throwing out Celebrity all together for one just OK cruise. We've been on over 30 cruises in our lives in a span of 20 years. Our likes and dislikes have changed through the years but I will say we've never cruised Celebrity. We tend to stick to Princess because we like them, the atmosphere, and it works for our family. Being a mainstream cruise line it is not all inclusive. To avoid feeling like we are being nickel and dimed we prepay many things. We don't do normally do tours through the cruise and set these up ourselves in most ports.

While there has a been a suggestion to try out more expensive lines, the issue there is you get what you pay for, and it appears to be a lot more than a mainstream line. I'd love to try Regent (after much research it's the line I'm most interested in testing out) and will probably plan one special cruise on them for our big anniversary coming up. My husband on the other hand thinks we can still cruise Princess, Stay in a Suite, prepay everything and have it be cheaper than Regent. My issue is I just want to try something different. The reason I share this is if you don't want to play the nickel and dime game, find a ship you like, on a cruise line you like, and price it out to include all the things you want to do. Specialty dining, excursions, drinks, gratuities, etc., and review the total expense of the cruise before you make your decision. Cruising in an all inclusive manner is expensive. Allowing the nickel and diming to affect you is possible if you allow it to.

Research your Cabin, stay on a deck where there are cabins above and below you to reduce the noise. Don't book near public space, laundry, disco, etc. If you pay close attention to floor plans you can stay in a quite cabin without a problem.

If dressing up is important, find a cruise line that still does that. Even on Princess we've found that the dress code is not always enforced, but it doesn't bother us. We like to dress up, and we do it for ourselves. What does bother me is when some people are sent away from the MDR and others are not, so an inconsistent implementation of policy, but if something like this bothers you, find a line that is more formal.

We find that our cruises are what we make of it, and we truly enjoy cruising.

Good luck and I hope you find something you are interested in.

Bad reviews like that are not to be believed. Could be a troll that just wants to make up something, an ex employee that wants to get even, or a person that nothing every is good enough for them, or a person that thinks they are better then they are. Throw out the worst review and the best and see what is left.

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to get some advice and reccommendation of a line that someone has experience of not trying to bamboozle its clients. I realise the commercial pressures of a business where there will soon be more ships than guests!

After reading your reply again,trying to sort out a decent package just seems like too much trouble. I think we will just book 2 weka in Bora Bora and be done with it.

Thanks again

No one can rip you off unless you let them. If you don't want to buy something, just say NO and start walking. It's not that hard to do.

What's wrong with smiling, saying no thanks and moving on. I have cruised on Different cruise lines, no problems.

I researched cruise lines trying to find the "right" line for us. We dislike the same things mentioned by the OP--we do not want photographers trying to take pictures several times a day. We do not like the art auctions, loud music, or silly pool games. It is preferable for us to have included specialty restaurants, bottled water and sodas, and the option of bringing our choice of wine for cabin consumption.

On the other hand, we do not need a full beverage package or excursions, since we prefer private excursions or DIY-ing the ports.

So, our research brought us to the right cruise line FOR US--Oceania. Excursions and alcohol are not included. But sodas and bottled water are included. No photographers, no art auctions or poolside games. No movies or loud music by the pool. Specialty restaurants limited but included. Bring the wine you like. And, the ships are generally quiet and relaxing.

For some, I am sure this sounds terribly boring! For us, it is perfect! Yes, more expensive, but when I compared the money spent on those not-included things I like, the cost is reasonable.

Find the one right for you!

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to get some advice and reccommendation of a line that someone has experience of not trying to bamboozle its clients. I realise the commercial pressures of a business where there will soon be more ships than guests!

After reading your reply again,trying to sort out a decent package just seems like too much trouble. I think we will just book 2 weka in Bora Bora and be done with it.

Thanks again

There is all kinds of info available on this site. Have you done any investigating? Read any reviews? Looked at any threads?

we have over 60 cruises on 9 different lines over past 30 years... it has been years since we have had a noisy cabin - less learned many years ago avoid upgrades, select your own cabin, we book directly with the cruise line vs a TA now.

All lines push to see how much $$ the can get out of you... learn to say no, buy only what you want.

Figure out what you enjoy most and buy it only.

You don't say how you determined the poster's employment status. I would question the validity of poster.

We cruises on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Cunard.

It's very easy to say 'no thank you' and keep walking when they are trying to take your photo. Same with the pay restaurants.

It is not difficult to get a good cabin, all you have to do is familiarize yourself with the deck plans and decide where you would like your cabin. It helps to book early so you have a good choice of cabins.

First step, decide where you want to go. Then find a reputable travel agent to help you.

Ok thanks everybody. As I said, I've only done one Celebrity cruise and found it under achieved in several areas. Still that was a few years ago now. Being a Brit, something I don't understand is the desire to pay gratuities upfront. Surely you only pay if the service demands it? Also why pay them at all if you are paying for the holiday anyway. The staff get paid already for doing their job, don't they? They aren't on the ship for fun. On The Celebrity cruise we did we found the only really hard working pleasant member of staff was our cabin steward. He was nice and efficient and deserved a reward, but to be honest the rest of the workforce we came into contact with, the bar staff, waiters etc, were just doing their jobs with the minimum effort to get the job done. I didn't think, "oh I must give them more money"

So why pay for something you haven't had? Why feel compelled to pay again for something you already paid for in the cost of the trip. The cruise lines don't say Cruise

$150, oh and if you want staff that's an extra $250 each do they?

Being a Brit, something I don't understand is the desire to pay gratuities upfront. Surely you only pay if the service demands it? Also why pay them at all if you are paying for the holiday anyway. The staff get paid already for doing their job, don't they?

Cunard, a famously British line, many years ago pioneered the method of paying the service crew a pittance, relying on gratuities to improve crew income to a livable wage. This has endured and is clearly the method used by US based cruise lines.

Modern cruise lines (Cunard included) now add gratuities to your onboard account for the convenience of the passenger AND because too many passengers were skipping supper on the last night of the cruise. This because the last night was traditionally the time for everyone to pony up $$ for good service.

Try Oceania or Regent.

Plus 1 - though Oceania is a far better value when some items that are included on Regent are added as options on Oceania (e.g., prestige alcohol package). Nonetheless, either line will address OP's concerns. No nickel/diming, highly restrictive on smoking, high end linens/amenities, perhaps the best food at sea and impeccable service. There will be kids at school vacation times - cruises to Med or Alaska. But, we've yet to witness anything other than we'll-behaved children.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Consider the source. If the same trip had been reviewed by someone with a family, likely the reports would have been radically different.

I would question the competence of someone who was planning a laid back, relaxing cruise experience and then booked a voyage at a time when the ship would be filled with families, children, etc.

Where was the cruise? A Caribbean sailing will result in a totally different experience than one in the Med, Baltic, South America or even Alaska.

Sail HAL, Princess or Celebrity when (US) school is in session and itineraries longer than 7 days for better experiences.

Agree COMPLETELY with the last line here by thinfool!!! :)

Murph14--I can see your point regarding tips but the facts are that the tips are necessary to bring the pay of the cruse workers up to a living wage. Yes, like many of us, I would prefer that tips be rolled into the total cost of the cruise, but for some crazy reason, the cruise lines clung to the tradition. So it is best if you consider them mandatory (though they are not--you can elect to remove some or all of them).

Personally, I figure that I would not be able to do their job, and leave those tips in place. If I get OUTSTANDING service from someone, I give them extra on the last day.

Ok thanks everybody. As I said, I've only done one Celebrity cruise and found it under achieved in several areas. Still that was a few years ago now. Being a Brit, something I don't understand is the desire to pay gratuities upfront. Surely you only pay if the service demands it? Also why pay them at all if you are paying for the holiday anyway. The staff get paid already for doing their job, don't they? They aren't on the ship for fun. On The Celebrity cruise we did we found the only really hard working pleasant member of staff was our cabin steward. He was nice and efficient and deserved a reward, but to be honest the rest of the workforce we came into contact with, the bar staff, waiters etc, were just doing their jobs with the minimum effort to get the job done. I didn't think, "oh I must give them more money"

So why pay for something you haven't had? Why feel compelled to pay again for something you already paid for in the cost of the trip. The cruise lines don't say Cruise

$150, oh and if you want staff that's an extra $250 each do they?

Ah. Now that we know that you do not understand how the crew gets paid we can understand some of the reasoning behind your original post.

Spend some time on Cruise Critic and learn how the gets paid and what tips actually are. Spend some time learning what your fare pays for and what it doesn't. Spend some time doing your own research about various cruise companies and destinations.

If you will.....spend some time doing research..... you will reduce the likelihood being the object of scorn and derision after having essentially attempted to take the lazy path.