When to go to Anne Frank house?

hawkeye65

We're doing a Viking Amsterdam to Budapest cruise with a pre-cruise in Amsterdam. We've been advised by multiple persons to get tickets online for the Anne Frank house. We understand there's a guided tour of Amsterdam as part of the pre-cruise. Does anyone know when that's commonly held? I don't want to book Anne Frank's house at a conflicting time.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Based in my experience getting AF tickets online you will be just plan lucky to get ANY ticket. They are scooped up so fast just getting a ticket at all can be a miracle. Remember the line to get in can be 2 to 3 hrs long if you do not have a pre booked ticket.

Hopefully someone can advise you about the Viking plans. We also used the Canal Boat tour to rest our feet and get our Amsterdam tour. So much more fun than walking or being on a bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're doing a Viking Amsterdam to Budapest cruise with a pre-cruise in Amsterdam. We've been advised by multiple persons to get tickets online for the Anne Frank house. We understand there's a guided tour of Amsterdam as part of the pre-cruise. Does anyone know when that's commonly held? I don't want to book Anne Frank's house at a conflicting time.

We did this trip last year. The walking tour of Amsterdam was on the 1st day after you arrive. It was held in the morning. We had tickets for Ann Frank House at 9:30 that morning so we missed the walking trip. Unfortunately, when you book on line tickets to Ann Frank on line you do not have a lot of choice of times.

Hope this helps a little.

Hawkeyes 65 (are you a U of I fan?) As tickets can be difficult to purchase in advance, here is a suggestion based on our experience when we visited Amsterdam. It was a last minute trip (not a cruise) so no opportunity for advance tickets. On the advice of the destination experts on Trip Advidor, we arrived around 8:15 am to line up. There were perhaps 15 people in front of us. One in our group did a coffee run and the time went quickly as we talked with others in line. At 9am the door opened and we went in. By that time the line was very long. When we exited the line was a few blocks long. This was in April and there were many tourists because of the Tulips.

Hawkeyes 65 (are you a U of I fan?) As tickets can be difficult to purchase in advance, here is a suggestion based on our experience when we visited Amsterdam. It was a last minute trip (not a cruise) so no opportunity for advance tickets. On the advice of the destination experts on Trip Advidor, we arrived around 8:15 am to line up. There were perhaps 15 people in front of us. One in our group did a coffee run and the time went quickly as we talked with others in line. At 9am the door opened and we went in. By that time the line was very long. When we exited the line was a few blocks long. This was in April and there were many tourists because of the Tulips.

Recently rules have changed to get tickets. Mornings and afternoon till 3.30 pm are ONLY for those holding tickets. If you donot have tickets you will have to go in line for an afternoon visit. Lines can be very long, up to 2 hours waiting. Check their website: http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/

Always check the official website for the latest info on opening times and dates. Never rely on what someone posts online. Where your ship docks can also effect your sightseeing plans. Some ships conveniently dock near the Centraal Station but others are further out in a more industrial area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Recently rules have changed to get tickets. Mornings and afternoon till 3.30 pm are ONLY for those holding tickets. If you donot have tickets you will have to go in line for an afternoon visit. Lines can be very long, up to 2 hours waiting. Check their website: http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/

Thanks, Ine, for that helpful update. Always good to check official websites for the latest info. Guess I assumed that for most on this forum that is a given, since so many are seasoned travelers who research and plan ahead.

I enjoyed the AF House in May. Only tix available were like 9 am even though I was online as soon as they were available for our day! I would recommend the tour over AFH, lots to see. Check Viator site to see if you can book an afternoon time, maybe in connection with a canal cruise, at a reasonable price. The AFH was interesting.

The Anne Frank house tickets are available exactly 2 months prior to the date you want to visit. Yes, you do have to have tickets if you want to enter before 3pm. I booked tix for a group of sixteen in October and had to keep checking back to see if tickets were available. From what I could tell, they don't release all of the tickets for each day at once. I have always been able to get tix for my clients by being persistent.

We were in Amsterdam at the end of a cruise. I got tickets online for around 2pm the day we docked, not knowing for sure when we would get there. We arrived around 12:30 and we able to get in early, did not have to wait until our time.

So, I would advise getting tickets maybe later rather than earlier than when you expect to be there so you don't miss it.

We got in for our Viking River cruise very early -- around 9am. After being taken to the ship, we had several hours to kill before boarding time and meeting the rest of the passengers. We pre-booked AFrank times for noon 2 months in advance and also a wine and cheese tasting at a local shop. Yes we were tired and had jet lag but this was a great way to kill time. We also took a canal cruise but that ended up being too much. We crashed early that night onboard ship.

As others said, book your tickets exactly two months in advance. With advance tickets, you can show up just about 10-15 minutes before your scheduled time and you'll be fine. The exhibit is not to be missed, that's for sure.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll get tickets in April. CC posters are such a great resource! And yes, I am a Univ of Iowa alum. 😊

I did the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise August 2016 and did the pre-cruise in Amsterdam through Viking. I arrived in Amsterdam on a Wednesday and Thursday morning was the included walking tour. I had tickets to the Anne Frank house Thursday afternoon. There will also be time the next day, embarkation day, to see Anne Frank house. Your transfer to the ship will probably be about 2:30 that day.

Remember when you're looking online for tickets that Amsterdam's hours are ahead of ours. I would check the website first thing when I got up in the morning and at first was surprised to see that all the tickets that had been released were already gone. They don't release them all at once, though. It seems as though they release certain times two months before and then for the next month or so release other times on various days. Some tickets will also have a 30 minute introduction (at an extra cost) and I found that those were released much closer to the date, so if you don't get tickets at first, keep trying.

And be sure to take a canal ride. It gives a different perspective to Amsterdam. A link to my review is in my signature below if you're interested (I warn you it's long and has a lot of pictures).

We pre-booked, and paid extra for the English commentary before you begin the tour. We found it was quite informative, as it drew a timeline comparison beween the Frank family and what was happening in the world around them at the time.

In my experience, most included tours are always in the morning - so booking in the afternoon should give you time to do both the included tour and the Anne Frank house.

Fran

I enjoyed the AF House in May. Only tix available were like 9 am even though I was online as soon as they were available for our day! I would recommend the tour over AFH, lots to see. Check Viator site to see if you can book an afternoon time, maybe in connection with a canal cruise, at a reasonable price. The AFH was interesting.

I wouldn't consider it to be enjoyable. Just really sad in more ways than one... sad for the tragedy and sad for the gross commercial venture it has become over the years.

we did a tour of the house in November ours was an excursion option with our river cruise. it was after lunch and a small group were let in at a time by the staff at the house.

very confined spaces and narrow staircases to climb. such a sad part of history especially since the war had nearly ended when she was taken. her father survived to form the foundation and it does raise a lot of money, info available on line.

we felt sorry for the long lines of people waiting outside in the cold rainy weather and were pleased our tickets had been prebooked and organised.