Bacon Shortage

swilliams1660

Yeah, heard about it on radio last night. This morning the bacon producer's association or whatever they call themselves said it was fake news.

The only time there is a bacon shortage is when my DS is on the ship as he rarely gets it at home.

Bacon is important! Tastes great and bacon threads are always fun.

And in keeping with that........bacon around here is insanely, outrageously priced. We tried to provide it with our monthly airport breakfast. Some of our guests ate more bacon expense than we were even charging for the breakfast ($5, all you can eat). So we had to give up on bacon (wholesale cheap sausage and Spam now. Hey..they like the Spam and we grill it good). So...if I was NCL, having watched some of the guests load up on bacon, I'd take it off the menu. And, around here I just saw a half fully cooked ham for $1.19 lb. Now, that's a hell of a deal and a lot more good eating than all fat bacon that cooks down to nothing. How's that for drifting...............

And in keeping with that........bacon around here is insanely, outrageously priced. We tried to provide it with our monthly airport breakfast. Some of our guests ate more bacon expense than we were even charging for the breakfast ($5, all you can eat). So we had to give up on bacon (wholesale cheap sausage and Spam now. Hey..they like the Spam and we grill it good). So...if I was NCL, having watched some of the guests load up on bacon, I'd take it off the menu. And, around here I just saw a half fully cooked ham for $1.19 lb. Now, that's a hell of a deal and a lot more good eating than all fat bacon that cooks down to nothing. How's that for drifting...............

Roger, even in the MDR you see one person being served an entire plate full of bacon. There must be at least 10 strips there. I guess you have to ask for a plate full of bacon, because I've ordered a side, and got 3 pieces.

On my last cruise this woman was being served a plate full of bacon, and she proceeded to inspect every strip there, finally pointing to one with her hideously long silver artificial nails and saying "I don't like that one". The waiter took the entire plate away to the kitchen, where the offending strip was swapped out. What sane person would send back bacon, especially with so many strips that passed muster?

I swear it was funny enough to be on SNL. I finished up and left quickly.

Holy Smoke! That's a heaping helping of the stuff. I had my triple bypass a couple of years ago, so I've got room in my arteries again for some of that!

In which case go to Vegas and go to the Heart Attack Grill, I think that was the place, we ate in a bar opposite. They have an ambulance stationed outside!! Also I think that if you can eat the "biggest" burger they offer it is free!!

Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Attack_Grill#Menu

A porkage fee. Now that's hilarious! But seriously, everything will be fine as long as they don't run out of rum. A rum shortage could lead directly to mutiny:eek:

It then I could pull out my best Captain Jack Sparrow (savvy??) imitation.

"The rum?

The rum is gone?

But...why is the rum gone???"

Spam is so...Carnivalish. I did peek over on the Carnival board and based on some of the replies to the same report about bacon shortage, it does appear Carnival is tight with the bacon and it isn't very crisp.

Back in 2011 when we took a cruise on the Carnival Valor, guests couldn’t serve themselves bacon from the buffet. There was a cook serving pieces of bacon to each guest. Naturally you could go up more than once. At the time I think it was a cost cutting measure. I don’t know if that was ship specific but I seem remember Cruise Critic members complaining on the Carnival forum about not being able to serve yourself bacon.

If you look at my signature you’ll notice that was the only cruise I took on Carnival. Coincidence? Maybe…and maybe not.

Back in 2011 when we took a cruise on the Carnival Valor, guests couldn’t serve themselves bacon from the buffet. There was a cook serving pieces of bacon to each guest. Naturally you could go up more than once. At the time I think it was a cost cutting measure. I don’t know if that was ship specific but I seem remember Cruise Critic members complaining on the Carnival forum about not being able to serve yourself bacon.

If you look at my signature you’ll notice that was the only cruise I took on Carnival. Coincidence? Maybe…and maybe not.

No need to be embarrassed that you went on Carnival we have all tried other lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are from the UK and have sailed on both NCL Epic and Carnival Vista. I prefer English bacon and that was pretty much the same on both cruise lines, however, my wife likes American style bacon (we call it streaky bacon) and she much preferred the bacon on the Epic, she said it was crisper and less greasy than that on Carnival.