Cash vs credit card in Sydney and NZ

Hi all

This is likely my last post until we (hopefully) hit Sydney. Tried to check in for our 2 flights tomorrow, can't do either. Airlines say all is well, we'll see.

My thanks to everyone who posted and gave us great information, large and small. If your great countries are this helpful when we get there in person, it will be a memorable trip. Some pressure there :D

Thanks mates, good on ya

ML

Bon Voyage, have a happy and safe journey.

Hi all

This is likely my last post until we (hopefully) hit Sydney. Tried to check in for our 2 flights tomorrow, can't do either. Airlines say all is well, we'll see.

My thanks to everyone who posted and gave us great information, large and small. If your great countries are this helpful when we get there in person, it will be a memorable trip. Some pressure there :D

Thanks mates, good on ya

ML

Safe travels, and enjoy your stay.

My husband is a 3rd generation Hawks supporter. His father used to deliver the footballs in a little cart to the games many years ago as his father, My husband's grandfather, worked at the place that made the balls. Being a Hawks fan has skipped a generation with the boys supporting the Eagles but our 5 year old Granddaughter loves the Hawks, much to the disgust of her father and Dockers loving mother :D

Yes, even when we lived in the US for 11 years we had International Memberships. We are running out of room to put the yearly membership scarves we have so many of them but I dare not suggest we get rid of some.

Our Essendon fan friend and my husband both had a chance to talk to Kevin Sheedy as he walked by us when we were eating lunch. We had Gold Tickets so had good access to the club rooms. He was very nice and had a great conversation with my husband about how many times each team has won premierships. He did say that 'The next time there won't be a line in the sand, there will be a bloody trench' Now that will be interesting! I have a couple of great photos too.

cool as

Just wanted to post that you can't sail to Albuquerque :D But, you could sail to LA or San Diego and then drive a short thousand miles (about 1600 km) and you'd find us.

And, to Mic's point about Balloon Fiasco, uhh, I mean Fiesta, it is a spectacular sight. And we can park right across form the entrance to the park since DH works there! Happy to help anyone who wants to make the trip.

And, to sort of close the loop, tonight we purchased 4 tickets to the Swans at SCG on Mar 25. Ended up buying expensive sets under cover, just to be safe (since it has been pouring buckets there for a week, maybe more?). I am very proud of myself for being able to do this. Thanks to all of you--couldn't have done it without you. The match (game?) is the day we return from our cruise to the GBR, so we will need to drop our bags at hotel, go to the game, then return and checkin.

Any advice on how much time to allow to get there, get in, and to our seats (4:35 start time)? I am thinking we should head over at about 2. Ride to Central Station, follow the crowd to shuttles, then again to get off! Is that too early? Don't we have to pass thru security?

Thanks everyone

ML

missed your post , cool as on getting seats :-) do enjoy

Hi all

Happy to report that we landed at SYD at 6:25 am today. No problems with our flights, our bags made it and our friends made it too. Off to the Porterhouse Irish pub for dinner tonight.

Had a great day walking all around the CBD, maybe the zoo tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help

ML

Hi all

Happy to report that we landed at SYD at 6:25 am today. No problems with our flights, our bags made it and our friends made it too. Off to the Porterhouse Irish pub for dinner tonight.

ML

Didn't jell it was today, I was actually in Sydney today, a quick work trip, wonder if I passed you somewhere after all not many people down there.

Hi all

ML

Glad you had an uneventful trip to Sydney, Enjoy your exploring and sightseeing ML.

Leigh

Hi all

ML

awesome , not been to that pub , might have to check it out next time i am up there :)

Hi all

ML

Welcome to Australia, glad it worked out well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

We are back on land after our Solstice cruise to the GBR and back and now have internet again, so I thought I would post. First off. my thanks to all of you who provided so much helpful info, from using the train to get from the airport, to what to do, and where to eat. We have used all your tips!

Cruise was excellent, we really liked X and will likely try them again. Lots of tendering (and what a comedy of errors that was) but that was the only hitch. Had a great Hunter Valley wine tour with Bruce of Best Tours, spent a day in Airlie Beach where we went into town and used the lagoon to cool off. It was so much hotter and more humid than I expected. Cairns we did the GBR one day and it was amazing, the 2nd day we did a private tour to/ from and around Kuranda. Port Douglas was a relaxing afternoon sitting by the marina watching people and boats, and drinking good beer at Hemingway's. Then a quiet day in Brisbane, where we just walked all over and enjoyed it. Then back to Sydney.

And we attended our first AFL game. Sadly, we must have brought bad luck to the Swans--they were well and truly beaten by Port (110-82). But we had a great time, and stayed dry thanks to all the good advice we got here about seats :) Today we went to the Blue Mountains and it was lovely and cool. But the train--it was packed!! Maybe Sunday wasn't the best choice ;)

Have tried the Crown, the Portehouse Irish Pub, and the Royal Albert, liked all of them, thanks again. Tomorrow we are off to Manly on the ferry, for a nice lunch. Maybe dinner at Grilled at World Square. Tuesday we board Radiance for our cruise to and around NZ.

Off to bed for me now--a long day of exploring Katoomba wore us out.

Our trip wouldn't have been the same without all your help, thanks one more time.

ML

Its good to hear you had a great time. It just shows how forward planning can make the difference between a great cruise/vacation and a disaster. Have you read the "Australia a big bust" thread yet?

Yes, I saw it and had to laugh. I saw 'roos and held a koala, and got a picture with one :) I know it was the ship having problem's, and I would have been mad too f it happened to me, but his title was bit much. Not our experience at all.

ML

Yes, I saw it and had to laugh. I saw 'roos and held a koala, and got a picture with one :) I know it was the ship having problem's, and I would have been mad too f it happened to me, but his title was bit much. Not our experience at all.

ML

Did the Koala pee on you?

Hi all

We are back on land after our Solstice cruise to the GBR and back and now have internet again, so I thought I would post. First off. my thanks to all of you who provided so much helpful info, from using the train to get from the airport, to what to do, and where to eat. We have used all your tips!

Cruise was excellent, we really liked X and will likely try them again. Lots of tendering (and what a comedy of errors that was) but that was the only hitch. Had a great Hunter Valley wine tour with Bruce of Best Tours, spent a day in Airlie Beach where we went into town and used the lagoon to cool off. It was so much hotter and more humid than I expected. Cairns we did the GBR one day and it was amazing, the 2nd day we did a private tour to/ from and around Kuranda. Port Douglas was a relaxing afternoon sitting by the marina watching people and boats, and drinking good beer at Hemingway's. Then a quiet day in Brisbane, where we just walked all over and enjoyed it. Then back to Sydney.

And we attended our first AFL game. Sadly, we must have brought bad luck to the Swans--they were well and truly beaten by Port (110-82). But we had a great time, and stayed dry thanks to all the good advice we got here about seats :) Today we went to the Blue Mountains and it was lovely and cool. But the train--it was packed!! Maybe Sunday wasn't the best choice ;)

Have tried the Crown, the Portehouse Irish Pub, and the Royal Albert, liked all of them, thanks again. Tomorrow we are off to Manly on the ferry, for a nice lunch. Maybe dinner at Grilled at World Square. Tuesday we board Radiance for our cruise to and around NZ.

Off to bed for me now--a long day of exploring Katoomba wore us out.

Our trip wouldn't have been the same without all your help, thanks one more time.

ML

Glad it's gone well so far.

Enjoy the next leg.

Glad you had a great time enjoy your next cruise will you be back here when that ones finished ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Yes, after NZ, 2 final days in Sydney before we have to leave this beautiful country :loudcry:

Did the Koala pee on you?

I am happy to report that I came away totally dry. I never saw one koala pee on anyone. I am starting to think you guys were just having fun with me :D

ML

So pleased to hear you had a great cruise. I hope you enjoy the next one too and that the NZ weather gods are kind to you. :)

Thanks. We are hoping it is cold in NZ--the heat and humidity here is sucking the life out of me, and making me a little grumpy. I wouldn't mind being cold for a little while :)

ML

Thanks. We are hoping it is cold in NZ--the heat and humidity here is sucking the life out of me, and making me a little grumpy. I wouldn't mind being cold for a little while :)

ML

We aim to please the tourists [emoji14]

It's not cold yet in NZ but the temperature is definitely lower than Australia. We await you with cold arms!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ML

Awww! You got the best weather we've had in weeks. ;)

It should be much cooler in NZ, especially down the bottom of the South Island.

ML

Thelast few weeks have been pretty mild temperature wise, but it has been humid and that's what gets to me.