Baby in diapers in the pool - Would you say something?

HawksFan74

Just off the Ruby Princess a couple weeks ago. One day, while in the pool with my 5 year old, I noticed a couple allowing their approx. 9 month old infant (wearing a swim diaper) to swim in the pool. Now, I know this is strictly prohibited for health reasons, but I never saw anyone from Princess do or say anything about it. Didn't see any fellow passengers say anything either. Admittedly, I could have said something but didn't because I tend to be a non-confrontational person.

So, my question here is, would you have said or done anything in this situation? Or better yet, has anyone actually been in the situation, and what did you do about it? Did you say something to the couple directly, or maybe find a Princess employee to report it to? Just curious.

Personally, I'd say something. People are NOT that ignorant about what they should or should not do, but prefer to see if they can get away with it. We had a child "crap" in their diaper in one of our condo pools last year. Had to shut the pool down for over 3 days as a precaution. I'm on the board & we had the offending parents fined $250. There are plenty of signs telling the do's & don'ts. So,no sympathy from me here!

It's not your job to enforce the rules, so I'd say something to a Princess employee rather than the couple. The bigger concern is the health risks of the child actual soils the diaper while in the pool.

It's non confrontational types that keep quiet in situations like this, as well as ignoring disgusting pax who touch food. Wish to get Noro?? Sorry but I will & have publically berated pax that do stuff like this.

How many drunks do you think pee in those pools?

I'm trying to find where is says babies aren't allowed in pools. I found where it says non potty trained children aren't allowed in saunas and hot tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by dtb55

So here's what the CDC has to say about swim diapers.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/swim-diapers-swim-pants.html

And it is a regulation from the US Public Health Dept.

So yes, it is a rule, but we have yet to see a cruise line enforcing it.

Not sure a bit of infant excretion is any worse than the things one can contract from adults!

So here's some additional light reading:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/rwi.html

If it really concerns you, stay out of out of the pools/hot tubs.

If it concerns me and I see it I will report it whether or not I am in a pool. Every passenger has a right to a healthy swimming environment. But apparently you do noy care about others,

It is a running joke between myself and the DW......I am the pool police on baby patrol! There always seems to be one family on all of our sailings that brings a baby to the main pool. With nobody else paying attention, I immediately go to a deck attendant and let them know. They have been quick to act on every occasion.

Poop, puke or anything else that causes a pool to be closed off is not good for anyone...especially when it is 90 degrees out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would tell a crew member. And I will next time......

On our last Royal cruise, a passenger had their baby in the pool with a swim diaper, and it failed, and no one said anything prior. There was poop floating from the infant and the pool had to be closed to be cleaned. Aggravating.

As for beer and cocktails, I can't see then enforcing this - I always sit on the flat portion with drink in hand. These certainly don't biologically contaminate the pool if spilled.

They should have closed it down for 2 or 3 days with an explanation in the patter as to who caused the problem.

So here's what the CDC has to say about swim diapers.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/swim-diapers-swim-pants.html

And it is a regulation from the US Public Health Dept.

So yes, it is a rule, but we have yet to see a cruise line enforcing it.

Not sure a bit of infant excretion is any worse than the things one can contract from adults!

So here's some additional light reading:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/rwi.html

If it really concerns you, stay out of out of the pools/hot tubs.

We have sailed on six Disney cruises and have observed that they actively enforce the no swim diaper regulation.

I would definitely be making a formal complaint about it to reception.

I am in the process of writing to customer relations suggesting they start enforcing the rules and educating staff to take care of all passengers. I am recently off the Emerald Princess. On that ship too many children were allowed to bomb, run, jump, dive, somersault into swimming pools with no care and consideration for other passengers. I made three written complaints to reception and even have the offending behaviour captured on video. Princess did not take any action or make any announcements reminding passengers with children of the rules. It is a sad state of affairs where the disruptive behaviour of children is allowed to go unchecked that it impacts upon the enjoyment and relaxation of other paying cruise passengers.

Even worst was the fact that passengers on that cruise decided to go into indoor bars in the atrium in wet swimmers and sit on all the chairs leaving them soaking wet for the next passenger. I was absolutely disgusted about the behaviour I witnessed on my recent cruise.

I agree with your complaint that Princess staff should do more to intervene and enforce the rules to stop disruptive/unhygienic behaviour.

If it concerns me and I see it I will report it whether or not I am in a pool. Every passenger has a right to a healthy swimming environment. But apparently you do noy care about others,

"Apparently" you missed the point of my post so I will explain it further. I completely supported the ships' rules by citing two reliable sources, the CDC and US Public Health Dept. The second link, is to point out that there are health issues in pools and hot tubs from other (possibly adult) sources. Enforcing the diaper rule is just one step in establishing a healthy swimming environment.

From that you concluded that I don't care about others????????

We have sailed on six Disney cruises and have observed that they actively enforce the no swim diaper regulation.

On my one , and only, Disney cruise, we observed many toddler aged children wearing swim diapers in the pools. Previous to cruising, I also read on the DIS boards many parents suggesting to just skip the toddler swim diapers so no one knows if the little ones are potty trained or not.

"Apparently" you missed the point of my post so I will explain it further. I completely supported the ships' rules by citing two reliable sources, the CDC and US Public Health Dept. The second link, is to point out that there are health issues in pools and hot tubs from other (possibly adult) sources. Enforcing the diaper rule is just one step in establishing a healthy swimming environment.

From that you concluded that I don't care about others????????

No it was your last line in that statement that told people to go to the adult pool if they were so concerned .

This whole discussion pretty well underscores why we don't care to swim in pools on cruise ships or hotels/motels. Most beaches are fine for us. Well, except one time we had a stop at Isla de Margarita. Small port away from any towns with a tempting beach. We thought about swimming there until someone who had walked around the corner to the north of where we were came back. They said it might be a good idea to avoid the water as they noticed that there was a small sewer line around the corner. Bits of TP and other unsavory stuff flowing out and floating around. :eek:

BTW, this island is part of Venezuela and I doubt that there are many ships stopping there these days. :rolleyes:

No it was your last line in that statement that told people to go to the adult pool if they were so concerned .

Ah, Now I completely understand how you could conclude that I don't care about others, :rolleyes:

Just to be clear, you attributed something said by someone else to me.

In light of the fact that I pointed out the health risks in any public pool or hot tub, what I actually posted was that if someone was really concerned they should stay out of the pools and hot tubs (never said to go to the adult pool).

My experience with issues such as this is that a crew member is unlikely to do anything about it. Princess staff appear reluctant to challenge passengers about anything. It seems that on Princess some passengers ARE always right.

EXACTLY... I have mentioned to workers before about kids in adult pool. They didn't do a thing..

Taken directly from the Princess web site:

Infants/Young Children and Swimming Pools

Parents/guardians are reminded to bring their children dressed in appropriate attire with towel and sunscreen. Youth staff will not conduct children's activities in the adult or splash pools. Parents must supervise their children at all times when using the pools. Infants and young children in diapers and/or swim diapers, and children who are not toilet trained are NOT permitted in any of the pools or spas due to public health concerns.

Our policy is strictly observed onboard and is intended for the public health safety of all guests.

This info is located here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/before.jsp

I would speak up.

What about cocktails and beer? Seen it many times-

Once upon a time 1991 on the old Crown Princess they had a swim up pool bar. There would be adults pounding drinks all day and I never saw anyone leave to use the bathroom. After that I have avoided pools with swim up bars.

Taken directly from the Princess web site:

Infants/Young Children and Swimming Pools

Parents/guardians are reminded to bring their children dressed in appropriate attire with towel and sunscreen. Youth staff will not conduct children's activities in the adult or splash pools. Parents must supervise their children at all times when using the pools. Infants and young children in diapers and/or swim diapers, and children who are not toilet trained are NOT permitted in any of the pools or spas due to public health concerns.

Our policy is strictly observed onboard and is intended for the public health safety of all guests.

This info is located here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/before.jsp

I would speak up.

Good to know. Thanks.

Once upon a time 1991 on the old Crown Princess they had a swim up pool bar. There would be adults pounding drinks all day and I never saw anyone leave to use the bathroom. After that I have avoided pools with swim up bars.

Ewwww! Darn those closed-looped systems! [emoji26]

Think we'll never visit a swim-up bar pool again (although we generally avoid public pools anyway).

No...swim diaper are made to contain poop and are Made for the pool. They were doing the right thing.

The Princess policy is pretty well spelled out. And it differs from your policy.

"Infants and young children in diapers and/or swim diapers, and children who are not toilet trained are NOT permitted in any of the pools or spas. Our policy is strictly observed on board and is intended for the public health and safety of all guests."

Are there baby pools on ships?

Some Princess ships have shallow splash pools for children.

Same rule applies -- no diapers or swim diapers or non-toilet trained children allowed in them.

Sent from my laptop using MTF