Tragedy on the Emerald

Bugalugsnz

We are currently on the ship. There is a quietness around the ship in respect for the crew member who lost their life. The explosion was like a bomb going off it was so loud. The reports are very accurate. We can't leave until all investigations are complete, which is obvious really. The Captain is keeping us informed as best he can and there is a sadness in his announcements. No idea if there is any damage as all the promanade deck is out of bounds. A sad day on a wonderful cruise.

We are currently on the ship. There is a quietness around the ship in respect for the crew member who lost their life. The explosion was like a bomb going off it was so loud. The reports are very accurate. We can't leave until all investigations are complete, which is obvious really. The Captain is keeping us informed as best he can and there is a sadness in his announcements. No idea if there is any damage as all the promanade deck is out of bounds. A sad day on a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for this lindauk. I hope you're able to get away this morning. I understand you may need to miss Fiordland, which is a shame, but I hope the rest of your cruise is smooth sailing.

We have been told to be all aboard at 5pm. Definitely no fiords. The Captain did say he doesn't expect us to be late into Sydney. I think we'll definitely get away today, there are three ships in tomorrow. The Captain said they are setting up a memorial fund for the crewman, a nice gesture I think. Needless to say they have organised shuttles so people can go ashore, all in all I think the situation has been dealt with in a very satisfactory way and the Captain is keeping us very well informed.

We have been told to be all aboard at 5pm. Definitely no fiords. The Captain did say he doesn't expect us to be late into Sydney. I think we'll definitely get away today, there are three ships in tomorrow. The Captain said they are setting up a memorial fund for the crewman, a nice gesture I think. Needless to say they have organised shuttles so people can go ashore, all in all I think the situation has been dealt with in a very satisfactory way and the Captain is keeping us very well informed.

Thanks for the update.

That's a lovely thought from the Captain! Just out of interest, does anyone know what assistance Princess (or CCL) provide to the crewman's family in situations like this? Have there been other similar situations that CC contributors are aware of that indicate workers compensation or insurance is provided by the cruise line?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This effort would lessen the pain of the family

The Captain has just announced the investigation is complete. He complimented the investigation team for their professionalism and the fact that it will prevent something like this happening again. We are sailing at 9pm NZ time. Obviously we will be late back into Sydney which may affect the next cruise and people getting early flights.

There is a little talk on the ship that it may be equipment failure because the nitrogen tank which shot onto the wharf was minus the top bit (sorry I don't know what it's called). No doubt this will come out of the investigation at some point.

The Captain has just announced the investigation is complete. He complimented the investigation team for their professionalism and the fact that it will prevent something like this happening again. We are sailing at 9pm NZ time. Obviously we will be late back into Sydney which may affect the next cruise and people getting early flights.

There is a little talk on the ship that it may be equipment failure because the nitrogen tank which shot onto the wharf was minus the top bit (sorry I don't know what it's called). No doubt this will come out of the investigation at some point.

Safe travels. I will be on the Emerald two weeks from today and will be visiting Port Chalmers. Will feel very strange now.

That's a lovely thought from the Captain! Just out of interest, does anyone know what assistance Princess (or CCL) provide to the crewman's family in situations like this? Have there been other similar situations that CC contributors are aware of that indicate workers compensation or insurance is provided by the cruise line?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Under international law, any "workman's compensation" type insurance for crew is based on whatever is provided by the national government of the country where the crew member is a citizen.

That nitrogen tank, at least from the photos I've seen, is a portable gas cylinder used to charge the accumulators on the lifeboat davit. That "top bit" is the valve assembly, and this is the typical cause of accidents with these compressed gas cylinders. I hate to say it in a fatal accident, but nearly 90% of these accidents are user errors, where either the cylinder falls over, is dropped, or struck with a tool, breaking off the valve and turning the cylinder into a rocket.

That nitrogen tank, at least from the photos I've seen, is a portable gas cylinder used to charge the accumulators on the lifeboat davit. That "top bit" is the valve assembly, and this is the typical cause of accidents with these compressed gas cylinders. I hate to say it in a fatal accident, but nearly 90% of these accidents are user errors, where either the cylinder falls over, is dropped, or struck with a tool, breaking off the valve and turning the cylinder into a rocket.

Photos are in this article

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/89265184/counselling-for-cruise-ship-passengers-following-shocking-death-of-crew-member

Seen it happen before, (should be loaded within a cage) but a cargo ship loaded with cargo net, they hit ship railing, Old rusty protective cover threads of worn cap came off, nicked the valve, Well the net spun around in circles until the cylinder was empty.

Very sad, my condolences to the family.