Are there any tips/tricks/neat things we should know admit Grandeur?

Soramor

I see so many things various places online about "little known" things of interest on the bigger and newer ships, I'm wondering if there anything "not advertised" and worthwhile on Grandeur?

Edit: title should say "about" not admit. Autocorrect.

On our last cruise, we met someone who spends quite a bit of time on Grandeur, and her tip was that if she sees something that appeals to her on the MDR menu but doesn't want to eat in the MDR (or her companions prefer the Windjammer), it is usually possible to request that item in the Windjammer. (They often are serving the same items anyway, but if they aren't, she asks for it.)

My tip is that the Schooner Bar makes a non-alcohol mudslide that tastes just like a chocolate milkshake.

Just read Grandeur reviews - they will list some things you are looking for.

I have, extensively. Seems like most reviews are positive but vague, or they're all about "this ship is old... We were bored... Food has gone down hill" :/

Here is my advice:

Go into your cruise knowing that the Grandeur is older with fewer bells and whistles. She is showing her age. You are largely responsible for occupying yourself. Yes, there is a rockclimbing wall and swimming pool and solarium with pool and hot tubs. There are trivias and dance classes and dance parties. There is a nightly show in the Palladium theater. There are movies on the poolside screen or in the theater. There are 4 specialty dining experiences.

No refrigerator in interior or ocean view cabins.

It is all about managing your expectations.

I don't want to say our expectations are "low"... But I will say that we're fairly easy to please. We're happy with a friendly ship and the kids will be happy with a good kids program (shockingly there isn't much to read out there specific to grandeur's AO, at least not recent stuff).

Those who criticize the Grandeur sadden me. Apparently they feel the need for constant entertainment or diversions. I wonder if are that critical about everything in life. We enjoy rest, peace and quiet, good food, and the chance to see new places. Room stewards are an added plus. Maybe our expectations are low but we are grateful that we can plan a vacation like this every few years. So many people we know can't afford to splurge on a meal out or even buy new shoes when the ones they are wearing have holes in them.

Here is my advice:

Go into your cruise knowing that the Grandeur is older with fewer bells and whistles. She is showing her age. You are largely responsible for occupying yourself. Yes, there is a rockclimbing wall and swimming pool and solarium with pool and hot tubs. There are trivias and dance classes and dance parties. There is a nightly show in the Palladium theater. There are movies on the poolside screen or in the theater. There are 4 specialty dining experiences.

It is all about managing your expectations.

Those who criticize the Grandeur sadden me. Apparently they feel the need for constant entertainment or diversions. I wonder if are that critical about everything in life. We enjoy rest, peace and quiet, good food, and the chance to see new places. Room stewards are an added plus. Maybe our expectations are low but we are grateful that we can plan a vacation like this every few years. So many people we know can't afford to splurge on a meal out or even buy new shoes when the ones they are wearing have holes in them.

Certain reviews read as if the Grandeur is a dilapidated rust bucket of a ship. I'll admit that the reviews made me wonder if I'd made a bad call in booking this ship. But truthfully, we've been on similar ships and have NEVER been disappointed!

We chose this ship for the proximity to home (we aren't that far from Baltimore), the length and the itinerary. My husband and I have seen almost all of these islands before but our children have not and I felt they were a great starting point for them to introduce them to cruising.

truth be told, we did look into some of the megaships when we were still planning this trip, but what never made sense to me is the fact that those ships, with all those crazy and amazing amenities, sail shorter itineraries. The more I looked into them, the less I could rationalize spending that kind of money just for those extra amenities. We would essentially have about two sea days (considering the fact that we wanted to actually go to each port) on those giant ships in which to cram in all of those awesome activities. Don't get me wrong, those activities and amenities are certainly enticing! But for what we are looking for at this point in time, grandeur fits. We want quality time with our two older children (the two little ones are not coming on this trip).

Certain reviews read as if the Grandeur is a dilapidated rust bucket of a ship. I'll admit that the reviews made me wonder if I'd made a bad call in booking this ship. But truthfully, we've been on similar ships and have NEVER been disappointed!

We chose this ship for the proximity to home (we aren't that far from Baltimore), the length and the itinerary. My husband and I have seen almost all of these islands before but our children have not and I felt they were a great starting point for them to introduce them to cruising.

truth be told, we did look into some of the megaships when we were still planning this trip, but what never made sense to me is the fact that those ships, with all those crazy and amazing amenities, sail shorter itineraries. The more I looked into them, the less I could rationalize spending that kind of money just for those extra amenities. We would essentially have about two sea days (considering the fact that we wanted to actually go to each port) on those giant ships in which to cram in all of those awesome activities. Don't get me wrong, those activities and amenities are certainly enticing! But for what we are looking for at this point in time, grandeur fits. We want quality time with our two older children (the two little ones are not coming on this trip).

I've been on the Grandeur before. It was the 2014 - 2015 NYE cruise and out of my 16 cruises (not counting my wedding cruise), it was the best cruise i've ever been on.

Is the ship older? Yes. It lacks a lot of the modern bells and whistles. No flowrider, no promenade, no ifly, no northstar, no ice rink, no bumper cars, no water slides, no minigolf. However, to me, those are just novelties. The cruising experience is still the same. You get great service, good food, shows, activities and you get to visit ports.

Why was this the best cruise of my 15 (i can't count my wedding cruise)? Because a ship this size allows you to really connect with your fellow cruisers in a way a giant Freedom class, Oasis or Anthem Class can't do. A bond builds and because of this cruise, I am still friends with the most amount of people met on ANY cruise I've ever been on.

My first cruise was on an NCL cruise in 1988 on a ship (NCL Seaward now known as Superstar Libra). I was 16 years old. The perk then, was I was free to do whatever I wanted. I was able met a bunch of people through the teen program, but the ship was small enough that all the kids onboard had an absolute blast.

Are there refrigerators in balcony cabins? (I have one for July.)

I have read some great reviews of Grandeur. It seems like there are a lot of repeat cruisers on her.

Have you read this review by Yorkvillain? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373491&highlight=grandeur

My advice is take the opportunity of a smaller ship to try to get to know some crew better - as well as other pax. Making relationships with other people - either crew or pax - makes Grandeur a better and very enjoyable experience.

We sailed on Radiance in Alaska a few years ago and met so many people, some we still keep in touch with. It helped that we won the Love & Marriage show... Everyone recognized us after that [emoji15]

My advice is take the opportunity of a smaller ship to try to get to know some crew better - as well as other pax. Making relationships with other people - either crew or pax - makes Grandeur a better and very enjoyable experience.

That is great advice!! For me one of the best parts of traveling is to get to know people who live lives so very different from mine, a small ship is a great way to do that!

That is great advice!! For me one of the best parts of traveling is to get to know people who live lives so very different from mine, a small ship is a great way to do that!

Any tips for those of us that are more toward the introverted (but very friendly!) side?? :)

That's my husband and I. You can meet lots of folks at the Solarium pool. Lots of readers in there. Also, go to the Meet & Mingle.

Any tips for those of us that are more toward the introverted (but very friendly!) side?? :)

I've sailed on the Grandeur 5 or 6 times, most recently on January 3. I like it because it's a short drive to the pier for me and it's a small ship. It has a reputation for being the friendliest ship in RCI's fleet, and we found the crew and passengers to be very friendly.

Due to its small size, we would frequently run into people we had met earlier or see crew members in various places who would recognize us and come over to say hello. We had such a great time on our cruise we booked the same cruise for next January while still on the ship.

OP, have you sailed out of Baltimore before? It's very cool to be on an upper deck, midships, for sailaway and the following hour or two. As well as seeing Fort McHenry and other historic sites, approaching and going under the bridges is a fun experience.

Grandeur has a very nice promenade deck, and the South Pacific Lounge is one of our favorite public rooms on a ship. The artwork in passenger cabin hallways is very well done.

Does this qualify as a tip? I think it may be unique in the fleet. If you board early you can go to the South Pacific Lounge the staff will check your carryons so you don't have to lug your stuff around until the rooms open.

Roy

OP, have you sailed out of Baltimore before? It's very cool to be on an upper deck, midships, for sailaway and the following hour or two. As well as seeing Fort McHenry and other historic sites, approaching and going under the bridges is a fun experience.

Grandeur has a very nice promenade deck, and the South Pacific Lounge is one of our favorite public rooms on a ship. The artwork in passenger cabin hallways is very well done.

I have not! This sounds AWESOME!!! About how long is the transit to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel? We sail at 4:00, I really hope it's not too dark to see all of those things

Does this qualify as a tip? I think it may be unique in the fleet. If you board early you can go to the South Pacific Lounge the staff will check your carryons so you don't have to lug your stuff around until the rooms open.

Roy

The perks of the smaller ships I guess :) do you just collect them when your room opens or so they deliver them?