Dentist on board?

terry101

Not sure where the Gem sails to but this past November we were on the Getaway and my wife had part of a tooth break off and they did not have a dentist on board. But fortunately our next port was Cozumel and they told us on board who the ship uses for there staff there for dental work. And the place they recommended did a great job. Probably would have been a bigger problem in another port.

I agree with the others that said to have it taken care of before you go. Don't put it off thinking it will get better on it's own. The ship does not have dentists board, however, they do have names of dentists in the ports, but I wouldn't want to have to have any dental work done in another country unnecessarily.

Edited by tonit964
spelling error

As has been made abundantly clear there is no dentist or dental staff on board. The medical staff can temporarily deal with issue like a cracked tooth until the next port (usually with sealant and painkillers).

They do have a dentist or two in each port who is vetted, but will also be a cash only (or in some cases credit card) transaction and of course if something goes wrong you aren't going back.

Per the Safe Seas Act of 1993 and resolution of the International Cruise Ship Pact (The Hague, 2013), all ship must either carry a licensed dentist or oral surgeon on voyages of 14 days or more. Otherwise, the ship may travel no more than 25 nautical miles from a Metropolitan Statistical Area greater than 50,000.

To my knowledge the SSA only applies to Australian chartered and perhaps operating vessels. I'm not familiar with the Pact you mention nor could I find any reference to any official document of that name..

SOLAS is the only international agreement in force I am aware of, and does not address Dental care that I can tell.

Per the Safe Seas Act of 1993 and resolution of the International Cruise Ship Pact (The Hague, 2013), all ship must either carry a licensed dentist or oral surgeon on voyages of 14 days or more. Otherwise, the ship may travel no more than 25 nautical miles from a Metropolitan Statistical Area greater than 50,000.

To my knowledge the SSA only applies to Australian chartered and perhaps operating vessels. I'm not familiar with the Pact you mention nor could I find any reference to any official document of that name..

SOLAS is the only international agreement in force I am aware of, and does not address Dental care that I can tell.

I joke.

I use to cruise with a bottle of toothache medicine and super glue (in event a crown came out. I will say that was just in case something happened but if I felt I would need a dentist I would handle that before I left.

My dentist recommends Vaseline to secure a crown if I'm away. That way if everything is okay, he can cement it back in properly & be sure there's no bacteria under it. Super glue wasn't designed for internal use & if the tooth or crown aren't cleaned properly, you're in big trouble!

We were on a 14 day Caribbean cruise on the breakaway in January and I can attest that there was no dentist on board. I know this because one of the performers had a major dental abscess and went ashore to have it tended to. In the end, he ended up at dentists in two separate ports-just getting antibiotics each time. I wish I'd known, as a hygienist I could have offered advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on a 14 day Caribbean cruise on the breakaway in January and I can attest that there was no dentist on board. I know this because one of the performers had a major dental abscess and went ashore to have it tended to. In the end, he ended up at dentists in two separate ports-just getting antibiotics each time. I wish I'd known, as a hygienist I could have offered advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm shocked the ship's MD couldn't have written a prescription for that out of the onboard pharmacy. Surely NCL's medical units are always well stocked with antibiotics, no? I'd assume they have the pharmacy equivalent of a small hospital.