It's been 10 minutes and I already regret it.

RCCL Fan

Just booked Anthem for this summer. They're running this promo right now where balcony cabins are the same price as outside cabins.

It meant the D2 balcony was 2150 less than my usual JS.

I ALWAYS sail in a JS. Wife, me & kids. (Ages 3 & 8) Only did a regular balcony once on Celeb reflection with my wife alone. I remember it being small but fine for us, but thinking about doing it with 2 kids, I'm thinking that may have been a bad idea. Especially since Anthem and the Solstice class are essentially the same ship.

Any other families of 4 on Anthem who can give me some advice? Was your balcony cabin super cramped? Should I shell out the extra 2150 or use that cash for some fun pre/post sailing in the Big Apple.

Did you price up what two connecting rooms would be? We always do that and it's usually cheaper than all 4 of us in the same room.

Agree, Summertime cruises 3rd/4th passengers in cabin can be more then 1st/2nd passenger rate, so I usually sailed with my kids in Oct or Feb. We usually had no problems sharing 4 of us in one room then though at time my kids were 2-4yrs and 6-8yrs, didn't when they were older...

We were a family of 4 in a balcony cabin on Radiance. At the time our kids were 4 and 7 - we had a pull out couch and a pullman bed over our bed so each child had their own bed. Each morning while we were at breakfast our cabin attendant would fold up the couch and pullman and then set it up each evening while we were at dinner. We found there was plenty of space for the 4 of us to move around - if it was me I would save the money and spend it in New York pre/post cruise!

Hey there! Can't believe that baby is now 3!

I think you'll be okay all in one cabin. We sailed with our 10 and 12 years old all in one, and it was okay.

We're headed on Allure for spring break...kids are now 14 and 16 and getting their own room- no way I'm sharing with two teenagers!

Have a great trip!

A Jr Suite will not only give you more room for a family of four but consider the fact that sailing in a Jr Suite on the Anthem will also allow you access to Coastal Kitchen for your evening meals. The food and service is just outstanding, Very comparable to dining in a Specialty Restaurant each night. Trust me, you will enjoy the experience!

We are usually suite cruisers with NCL, but tried the family connecting balconies (BC) on Anthem in January. It was a great set up, everyone had lots of space and never felt cramped. I believe the 2 connects cabins set up gives more space than the single JS. We did miss the suite perks, but the cabin was great. HTH!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your kids are young enough that sharing a cabin is fine. We pretty much have always shared with 3 or 4 depending on who was going. On our last cruise, we had an outside balcony and the teen boys had a promenade across hall. It was perfect. On our cruise next week, it's 3 of us and my 18 yr old will be on the sofa. :) I would save $ to enjoy in NYC. NYC is my fave city and worth a couple of days. Happy crusing!

Just booked Anthem for this summer. They're running this promo right now where balcony cabins are the same price as outside cabins.

I ALWAYS sail in a JS. Wife, me & kids. (Ages 3 & 8) Only did a regular balcony once on Celeb reflection with my wife alone. I remember it being small but fine for us, but thinking about doing it with 2 kids, I'm thinking that may have been a bad idea. Especially since Anthem and the Solstice class are essentially the same ship.

Any other families of 4 on Anthem who can give me some advice? Was your balcony cabin super cramped? Should I shell out the extra 2150 or use that cash for some fun pre/post sailing in the Big Apple.

Where did you ever get the idea that Solstice class and Anthem were the essentially the same ship?

Wrong, wrong. wrong!! I've sailed both and Anthem beats Solstice class hands down. You are really in for an awaking regardless of the cabin you choose.

Mind you, Solstice class is beautiful and I have no complaints, but Anthem will blow you away!

Someone gave you bad information. You will have to do a lot of reserving for Anthem, but we are here to help,

I would stay with what you have. A JS isn't going to give you that much more room. For the price enjoy the balcony and do another cruise. You will be fine.

You are an experienced cruiser. Your instincts and regrets are accurate. You do NOT want to smush the four of you into a D2 on the Anthem. Either spring for two cabins or pony up for the JS. This is your cruise, your vacation, and you don't want to shortchange yourselves. Trust me. :)

Where did you ever get the idea that Solstice class and Anthem were the essentially the same ship?

Wrong, wrong. wrong!! I've sailed both and Anthem beats Solstice class hands down. You are really in for an awaking regardless of the cabin you choose.

Mind you, Solstice class is beautiful and I have no complaints, but Anthem will blow you away!

Someone gave you bad information. You will have to do a lot of reserving for Anthem, but we are here to help,

I think that he is referring to the sentiment, expressed by many, including myself, that:

"Quantum class is the bastard child of Solstice and Radiance class."

:) :) :)

Like one of the other posters said, I would price the cost of two cabins with a connecting door. That is what we did when our 2 kids were younger. It also gives you two bathrooms with showers, but on the other hand, the JS gives you a bathtub (good for 3 yo).

Honestly, I think you should go with what you are used to, unless you are truly and well-prepared to embrace the different and give it a fair chance to be okay. In the past 25 years we've cruised just the two of us, to cruising pregnant, to cruising with a 2 yr & 4 yr old all the way to cruising with a 15 & 17 year old. We never had more than one room (started out interior, eventually went to balcony) until the upgrade fairy gave us a bonus of a free connecting room for the 2 teens. We never had issues with the four of us in one room until we got the upgrade, and once we had the extra space we swore we'd never be all in one room again! We got used to the extra space, and liked it, where all the cruises before it had never seemed to be too small, as we were barely in the cabin. BUT..I would have never put them in their own separate room (even though the door was open) until they were teenagers. I would not feel they were safe with a balcony/hall door they could open at any time. At three, I can't imagine a child would want to be anywhere else but with mom anyway.

Hard to believe that we are back to cruising just the two of again, as the youngest heads to college this August and we'll be alone on the Oasis in September. Will be strange to be just the two of us again.

Although not on Anthem, we booked a JS on Oasis last year. Decided to get a regular cabin on our October trip shortly after. The JS seemed totally not worth the price and other than a nice closet, it offered basically nothing extra as far as the room goes. It's well within our budget and we still don't book JS's anymore, our Harmony trip this year is in a regular OV for the 4 of us.

Figure with the JS you have a closet, that's nice, but otherwise it's just a little extra space around the bed, slightly bigger bathroom and what not - which I found trivial as heck.

Put the money in their 529 account.;)
This is my vote too! The cruise'll be over in a week, and it'll be fun no matter which room you're in, but college'll be here before you know it -- and with young kids, that 2K has plenty of time to grow into real money.

We sailed 2x on Mariner of the Seas w/2 kids (ages 8&11, then 10&13). Never had a problem. We would use the balcony when the guys were getting ready and vice versa. At the ages of your kids, save the $$$. We were not in there much so it didn't feel cramped. The steward would make up the bed during the day so we weren't tripping over the pullout sofa.

Our girls are 7 & 11, we were fine with the size. In the evening they turn the sofa into a bed which can get cramped but we don't "hang out" in the room at that time, we sleep. You can see the room size at the beginning of the vid in my signature.

Have a great cruise!

For that price difference, I'd give the D2 a try. You can keep monitoring prices to see if the JS price drops.

There were 3 of us in a D1 It was "cozy", but not cramped or super cramped. Bring something with you so that you can put up a temporary partition between the sofa-bed and the bed. We used our strong magnets to stick a king sized flat sheet (from our stateroom attendant) to the ceiling and wall.