Queen Victorias World Cruise thread for 2017

roscoe39

Hi Roscoe

Good to see you back on the Queen Victoria. I love the Queen Victoria but still have big concerns about what is going on with the Chart Room. If I recall from your last blog you reported that senior executives assured upset passengers that no changes would occur with respect to that room. Now I have heard that it will be eliminated which is a huge negative to me. Do you have any definitive information on this?

E:)njoy your trip.

Deck Chair

When I was on the QV World Voyage a few years ago, most of the population of Pitcairn came onboard and sold their crafts. It was great fun talking to them. Even several children came on the ship. They spent most of the money they made on candy from the duty free shop. Not sure how the shop handled cash.

One of the rememberable days of the cruise.

Don

When I was on the QV World Voyage a few years ago, most of the population of Pitcairn came onboard and sold their crafts. It was great fun talking to them. Even several children came on the ship. They spent most of the money they made on candy from the duty free shop. Not sure how the shop handled cash.

One of the rememberable days of the cruise.

Don

we are just coming up to the island now, unfortunately it doesn't look as clear as the last time we were here but it will probably burn off There is a nother ship in port so we will only get some on board, they also have the supply ship so it will be a busy day on the island.

re the question regard the chart room...

alas…its all true. The chart room will be removed in May, 60 new staterooms will be installed on the once graceful stepped back stern and the Champagne and Caviar bar changed to ….god knows what.

Yes…..we were promised by one of the Cunard executives at the World Cruise party last year that the message was loud and clear that its passengers preferred the Good Queen Victoria was left as she was and the Chart room would remain as it is but unfortunately I suspect that orders from a higher position than his are pulling the strings and the ever present bean counters who have never experienced the ship are making changes that her faithfully passengers dont want.

There are a lot of unhappy campers onboard - none of us wish to see our favourite ship turned into a twin of the Queen elizabeth and I personally think its is a great mistake.

Time will tell.

But……..come June it will be too late.

last nights blog updated...pitcairn hopefully to come

Sorry to hear of changes to QV. Carnival did much the same to Island Princess which we were on late last year. Added 100 or so cabins on aft decks, lost the walk around prom deck, lost 90% of the aft viewing decks, lost a aft large lounge with stage. I did not like what they did at all. Sounds like Carnival is getting to all their ships, adding on bits.

Sad. What next? Fill in the aft decks of QM2? Sell the dog kennels as single berths? The mind boggles. All about the almighty dollar.:evilsmile:

**Anyway thanks for your reports Roscoe.

we are just coming up to the island now, unfortunately it doesn't look as clear as the last time we were here but it will probably burn off There is a nother ship in port so we will only get some on board, they also have the supply ship so it will be a busy day on the island.

re the question regard the chart room...

alas…its all true. The chart room will be removed in May, 60 new staterooms will be installed on the once graceful stepped back stern and the Champagne and Caviar bar changed to ….god knows what.

Yes…..we were promised by one of the Cunard executives at the World Cruise party last year that the message was loud and clear that its passengers preferred the Good Queen Victoria was left as she was and the Chart room would remain as it is but unfortunately I suspect that orders from a higher position than his are pulling the strings and the ever present bean counters who have never experienced the ship are making changes that her faithfully passengers dont want.

There are a lot of unhappy campers onboard - none of us wish to see our favourite ship turned into a twin of the Queen elizabeth and I personally think its is a great mistake.

Time will tell.

But……..come June it will be too late.

last nights blog updated...pitcairn hopefully to come

I'm pleased to say your blog on approaching Pitcairn prompted a plethora of comments and photographs of previous visits by Cunard and on the Facebook Fanzine.

Fascinating shots of the locals coming out to the ship in their dugouts to sell their products.

Calling all cruisers ,

I noticed from room service last night that the cloth serviettes have disappeared from the room service tray and have now being replaced with paper ones. I call on all my compatriots guilty of purloining these cloths over the years to return them as Cunard has obviously now run out.

Hello Roscoe

Thanks for the response regarding the removal of the Chart Room and the additional number of cabins. This ship will now mirror the QE, a ship I will AVOID in the future. Now I will avoid the QV and stick to the Queen Mary 2 which has always been my favorite Cunard ship in any event.

Cunard has made a huge mistake with this. Its like they don't care about the actual passengers. Too bad.

DECK CHAIR

Calling all cruisers ,

I noticed from room service last night that the cloth serviettes have disappeared from the room service tray and have now being replaced with paper ones. I call on all my compatriots guilty of purloining these cloths over the years to return them as Cunard has obviously now run out.

big wedding onboard today, Olga the Housekeeper marries Brandon one of the Bar Managers. The commodore is doing the ceremony, its a popular match and the ship is very excited for them.....rumours abound however who the stripper at the hens party was last night...i have my personal favourites and hoping for the video.......

beautiful day at sea., blog updated....

Edited by roscoe39

Hello Roscoe

Thanks for the response regarding the removal of the Chart Room and the additional number of cabins. This ship will now mirror the QE, a ship I will AVOID in the future. Now I will avoid the QV and stick to the Queen Mary 2 which has always been my favorite Cunard ship in any event.

Cunard has made a huge mistake with this. Its like they don't care about the actual passengers. Too bad.

DECK CHAIR

Im trying g not to be too harsh, its disappointing of course but passengers are demanding cheaper and cheaper holidays and the competition to provide a product is coming more and more anchored by the bean counters.

Its still great product.... and the crew onboard make all of the difference.

well the ship is safely in Tahiti,

unfortunately I have to report that the internet this year has been not good. Theres some new system and it is not user friendly or at all reliable. A lot of the passengers are complaining so hopefully they powers that be on land hear and do something about it. Last yer the internet was brilliant.

great day here in Tahiti, a big bbq on the deck nine pool area for sailaway, we have had a huge crew wedding, and some great lecturers onboard. I hear that South America next year is selling fast so anyone thinking of coming along should book soon.

Blog updated..

regards Roscoe

Good Job Boss. Great segment and you were wise to choose it. Sorry to hear about the internet, have you informed Cunard IT that your loyal fans depend on your reports being dispatched in a timely manner? Hope you're having a great trip, carry on! ...and thanks.

Good Job Boss. Great segment and you were wise to choose it. Sorry to hear about the internet, have you informed Cunard IT that your loyal fans depend on your reports being dispatched in a timely manner? Hope you're having a great trip, carry on! ...and thanks.

thanks, I appreciate it, I was just about to give up because I thought no one was reading it...in fact caught up with safrigal last night and said exactly that.

Internet should hopefully improve as we move back towards civilisation and the satellite.....

Bora bora today was fantastic, trying to upload some photos now to my blog...but it is slow!

I think if anyone complains about the day we had today they should be asked to leave and go and join one of the other lines.

Fantastic bbq thrown on the pool deck yesterday for sailaway from Tahiti, another party tonight.

I am not sure if i have said this yet but this year the ship seems to be full of a lot younger and better dressed crowd and also the addition of the South American contingent has added a very interesting ingredient to the passengers.

Blog hopefully being updated as we speak

thanks, I appreciate it, I was just about to give up because I thought no one was reading it...in fact caught up with safrigal last night and said exactly that.

Internet should hopefully improve as we move back towards civilisation and the satellite.....

Bora bora today was fantastic, trying to upload some photos now to my blog...but it is slow!

I think if anyone complains about the day we had today they should be asked to leave and go and join one of the other lines.

Fantastic bbq thrown on the pool deck yesterday for sailaway from Tahiti, another party tonight.

I am not sure if i have said this yet but this year the ship seems to be full of a lot younger and better dressed crowd and also the addition of the South American contingent has added a very interesting ingredient to the passengers.

Blog hopefully being updated as we speak

I have to agree that Tahiti and Bora Bora were both perfection. Our sail away from Bora Bora yesterday was just so beautiful. The weather has been very kind to us - the Commodore said that when Arcadia was here recently they had to cancel several of the tours due to torrential rain. We had sunshine for the most part.

This afternoon there will be a pancake race between the crew by the Lido pool - sounds like fun.

I agree that there seems to be a younger crowd on board, and not too many dress code issues. It is making for a wonderful experience.

Hello Cunarders,

this is my first post on this forum. I've been following Roscoe's and Safarigal's world cruise blogs every day. Please don't stop writing! I am sure you have many readers even though not all of them will post comments here. You are both good writers, so keep up the good work.

I am a Finnish maritime enthusiast living in Helsinki. I have never been on a proper cruise. My experiences are limited to freighters and ro-ro vessels (sailing with my dad who was a radio officer) and the big cruiseferries trading in the Baltic Sea. However, I have studied the history of ocean liners and cruise ships, especially Cunard and P&O, and it is very interesting to read your blogs.

In case you didn't know, the Queen Victoria has some Finnish technology on board. The six diesel engines powering the ship were made by W?rtsil?, a Finnish company. We have built many groundbreaking cruise ships over the past four decades, but sadly, none of them were ordered by Cunard...

I am also shocked by the news concerning the Chart Room. Looking at the deck plans, it is obvious that the ship will not have enough bar areas after the changes.

One question for Roscoe and/or Safarigal: you will lose one day when you cross the International Date Line. Is the lost day March 1 or March 2?

Please note that English is not my first language :-)

Safarigal and Roscoe, I have very much enjoyed reading your excellent blogs to date, thank you for taking the time to post.

We board in San Francisco for the voyage back to our home town of Southampton and feel that we are already there with you.

Enjoy the rest of your time on our favourite ship. :-)

Safarigal and Roscoe, I have very much enjoyed reading your excellent blogs to date, thank you for taking the time to post.

We board in San Francisco for the voyage back to our home town of Southampton and feel that we are already there with you.

Enjoy the rest of your time on our favourite ship. :-)

Hello Solent Girl.

I have a good friend and neighbour from here on the shores of the Solent onboard Queen Victoria at this very moment. He started at Southampton and disembarks in Sydney.

He is not a member of these boards but tells me he is having a wonderful time.

Bon voyage.

Solent Richard

Hello Solent Girl.

I have a good friend and neighbour from here on the shores of the Solent onboard Queen Victoria at this very moment. He started at Southampton and disembarks in Sydney.

He is not a member of these boards but tells me he is having a wonderful time.

Bon voyage.

Solent Richard

of course he is having a fabulous time on board, we have the best crew and the best ship in the fleet. We are in tonga tomorrow and word is the queens burial yesterday has sent the island into morning but everything will be open - minus the singing and dancing which will be a shame for those that haven't experienced that delight of the polynesian culture yet.

Im sure everyone onboard is having a great time...i see safrigal occasionally though usually through the bottom of a wine glass....

World cruise party tonight, we are all eagerly awaiting the release of the 2019 tins which I hope will be announced soon, rumours are flying about what is happening.

and so we continue our march across the pacific....trying to update blog as we speak....

regards Roscoe

Roscoe and SafariGal, GREAT WORK!!!

Every morning when I wake up your blogs are the first ones I look for.

I am on the QE 2018 World cruise from San Fran to Southampton. I am learning so much from both of you.

One thing I am learning is that it will be B@@@@Y hot.;) And here am I constantly out buying new formal dresses. OOPS. I might have to rethink my priorities. Loose and comfortable by the sound of it.

Thank you both for sharing your trip with us. I promise to return the favor next year.