Tips question

archer_310

I live for the day when Carnival and other lines just call tips service charges and not allow guests the ability to pull them.

We always pre-pay tips and if we receive the normal outstanding service from the three main groups we come into contact with (Cabin Steward, MDR staff and bar staff) we pay them a bit extra. Those of you who want to pay in cash are actually screwing over the people who make your cruise memorable...the people constantly cleaning the public spaces, wash your sheets, etc. How many of you are going to troop down to the laundry room to give an envelope with cash to the people working there?

Does the cruise industry pay their workers what they deserve? Nope and in reality they expect the passengers to make up the difference. Same thing happens in land-based restaurants.

I confess I don't understand why some feel the need to pull their tips and then run around the ship on the last day to personally deliver cash (if, in fact, they do).

We just got off a 5 Day cruise on Sunday. We left the auto tips in place and on the last night, we went to guest services to get envelopes so we could tip extra cash. We had three waiters and tipped them each $25 extra. We also tipped the Maire D' $10 since he changed our dining time. We also tipped our Room Steward an extra $25. IMO, the auto tips don't cover the outstanding customer service and attention you receive from the staff.

7 day sailing with 2 people for instance. Are you going to track down and hand out $180 in cash to people? Honestly if I had to hand out $180 in cash I'd be reluctant to do so. That's why auto tips are there. So people don't get lazy, forgetful, cheap, etc. It'd be pretty common for someone to debark and think "crap, I forgot to tip so and so..." when it is too late at that point.

We always tip those who are of service to us. I do it because the crusielines are not paying the salaries as they should. I do not believe I can trust them to pay the people who I want to tip what I want. Think about how you tip here at home. You wouldn't want your hard working server to not keep his tips. There are some restaurants now doing what the cruise lines are doing and taking the tips and using them as salary.

I also generally tip more than asked. I also bring with $2 bills and give them to those who serve me. They remember me and are very grateful. I like being able to say thank you and show them by handing them a tip. I find the crew remember me and welcome me back the next time I cruise. I've cruised 3 times in 6 months.

I just don't trust a company who wants me to pay the salary they ought to be paying. It's a tip and it's my choice. I do it my way.

So you sail a cruiseline that you don't trust? Do you really think that Carnival (or any other line) is going to commit fraud? Do you walk around with a wad of cash and just hand singles to everyone that performs some sort of service for you (every line cook, everyone that clears a table, everyone that brings ice to the bar for your drinks, etc...).

Sorry, the search doesn't seem to be working for me, so this may already have been answered. We're first-time Carnival cruisers. I know that I can ask that tips be taken off my account so that I can pay them in cash, but I'm confused by when this should be done. I've previously read that they put them on the account a few days into the cruise. However, I've been told by a previous Carnival cruiser that I should wait until the last day to take them off my account and then ask for envelopes in order to hand cash directly to the people we want to tip.

I'm now not sure what my best avenue is in this regard. Could someone clarify?

When, never, unless the cruise was so horrible, you would never cruise again.

There is always a reason that people remove auto tips (stingy, OCD, arrogant, vain, etc.)

And their excuses that they prefer to had out their tips personally, while well intended, come up short every time.

There are hundreds of employees who perform those "behind the scenes" tasks that allow them to vacation (such as all laundry services - sheets, napkins, pool towels, room towels, those who wash all the dishes, cups, mugs and utinsels they dirty, the cooks, - the list is endless)

We always tip those who are of service to us. I do it because the crusielines are not paying the salaries as they should. I do not believe I can trust them to pay the people who I want to tip what I want. Think about how you tip here at home. You wouldn't want your hard working server to not keep his tips. There are some restaurants now doing what the cruise lines are doing and taking the tips and using them as salary.

I also generally tip more than asked. I also bring with $2 bills and give them to those who serve me. They remember me and are very grateful. I like being able to say thank you and show them by handing them a tip. I find the crew remember me and welcome me back the next time I cruise. I've cruised 3 times in 6 months.

I just don't trust a company who wants me to pay the salary they ought to be paying. It's a tip and it's my choice. I do it my way.

Larry you must have never worked as a server in a restaurant or know anyone who has, or even have a clue about DOL regulations. Servers are a "tipped" position, which means that the minimum wage is lower for these positions, as they are supplemented by tips. It has been that way since the beginning of the minimum wage laws. This is nothing new! Servers (and cruiseline employees) are required to report their tips and taxes are withheld from the hourly portion of their pay based on the sum of hourly wages and tips.

Also, please don't give out $2 bills. We think that they are cute in the US, but overseas they are looked on with suspicion, and make it harder for them to be used.

Just wondering... Why do u want to remove the gratuities?

Why this question? It is not pertinent to the original question posed by the OP. While you may be curious, it's none of your business.

Just wondering... Why do you bother to post a non-responsive reply?

To the OP, you may handle gratuities any way you please and you may choose to pre-pay (this is easiest for me) or to let them be charged to your on-board account, or to adjust them up or down while on board.

Why this question? It is not pertinent to the original question posed by the OP. While you may be curious, it's none of your business.

To the OP, you may handle gratuities any way you please and you may choose to pre-pay (this is easiest for me) or to let them be charged to your on-board account, or to adjust them up or down while on board.

It is a much a part of this conversation as anything else....LOL.

it does make a difference. if they are planning on lowering or eliminating the tips then the recommendation from me would be different than if they are going to tip the same or better

also if the OP thinks it wont be pooled and thats why, then knowing this can educate the OP correctly

There are many reasons why knowing this information is helpful to the answer the OP is looking for.

I dont think the OP answered yet either which is also suspect because if it was nothing nefarious then answering it would be helpful to all. Just saying that is how I always did it is not really an answer. People used to write on walls with rocks.... times change and improves.

Sorry, the search doesn't seem to be working for me, so this may already have been answered. We're first-time Carnival cruisers. I know that I can ask that tips be taken off my account so that I can pay them in cash, but I'm confused by when this should be done. I've previously read that they put them on the account a few days into the cruise. However, I've been told by a previous Carnival cruiser that I should wait until the last day to take them off my account and then ask for envelopes in order to hand cash directly to the people we want to tip.

You can remove them any time AFTER they show up on your account, through the night before the end of your cruise. Then extend your tips the evening before your cruise is over.

We usually do it when the lines are short, at off hours, or if you're eligible, use the VIP line.

it does make a difference. if they are planning on lowering or eliminating the tips then the recommendation from me would be different than if they are going to tip the same or better

also if the OP thinks it wont be pooled and thats why, then knowing this can educate the OP correctly

There are many reasons why knowing this information is helpful to the answer the OP is looking for.

I dont think the OP answered yet either which is also suspect because if it was nothing nefarious then answering it would be helpful to all. Just saying that is how I always did it is not really an answer. People used to write on walls with rocks.... times change and improves.

That's great rationalization but begs my original question which is why not answer the OP's question rather than feel a compulsion to recommend a different course of action or question the motives.

Why isn't relevant when someone asks when or how. And it seems a bit presumptuous to suggest nefarious intentions.

I prefer to prepay grats, but that information isn't helpful or germane to the question asked.

Wonder if the statistic that I read once on Cruise Critic is true that 95% of those who remove the auto tip end up not tipping at all.:eek:

83% of statistics are made up on the spot as the saying goes. I invite you to consider how they would know that 95% of those that removed tips did not tip at all vs 100% chose another method to tip.

If you want to tip in cash, please bring some to any meals eaten in the dining room during breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinners. You will have different wait teams at every breakfast, brunch and lunches. If you have ATD, your wait team could also change nightly.

I agree absolutely.

It shouldn't be done.

Edited by Computer Nerd

I live for the day when Carnival and other lines just call tips service charges and not allow guests the ability to pull them.

We always pre-pay tips and if we receive the normal outstanding service from the three main groups we come into contact with (Cabin Steward, MDR staff and bar staff) we pay them a bit extra. Those of you who want to pay in cash are actually screwing over the people who make your cruise memorable...the people constantly cleaning the public spaces, wash your sheets, etc. How many of you are going to troop down to the laundry room to give an envelope with cash to the people working there?

Does the cruise industry pay their workers what they deserve? Nope and in reality they expect the passengers to make up the difference. Same thing happens in land-based restaurants.

I confess I don't understand why some feel the need to pull their tips and then run around the ship on the last day to personally deliver cash (if, in fact, they do).

NCL has gone the extra step already and do not allow people to pull tips while on the ship. You have to go to GS, get a form and then mail that form in after leaving the ship. Supposedly you receive a check within 30 days of the tips you want removed. I'm assuming they think people won't go through that effort to get their tips back.

They will charge them to your account on day 2, but you can remove them at any time. The question is, why would you want to? I, personally, don't want to run all over the ship looking for everyone who provided great service just to hand them an envelope. Leave the auto-gratuities in place and tip extra if someone provides extraordinary service.

I haven't done Carnival yet, but on Royal Carribean we had the gratuities paid to our room, but then the last night they left an envelope in our room to put cash for anyone that you wanted to tip extra. You had to put their name on it and department, then there were places to drop off the envelope. That way you didn't have to chase anyone down. Is it not that way on Carnival? I prepaid our gratuities already for our upcoming cruise in May, but I was planning on leaving cash for the room attendant as well at the end. (Although they are usually easier to track down than a waiter). (We also will have little kids and not planning to do the sit down dining room).

That's great rationalization but begs my original question which is why not answer the OP's question rather than feel a compulsion to recommend a different course of action or question the motives.

Why isn't relevant when someone asks when or how. And it seems a bit presumptuous to suggest nefarious intentions.

I prefer to prepay grats, but that information isn't helpful or germane to the question asked.

Actually asking "Why" is more pertinent to the thread than you chastising someone for asking "Why?". :rolleyes:

Actually asking "Why" is more pertinent to the thread than you chastising someone for asking "Why?". :rolleyes:

We will just have to agree to disagree. If someone asks if they can purchase Cheers prior to embarking, a direct answer would be, "Yes." An opinionated non-answer would be "Why would anyone want to spend that much money on alcohol?"

One answer is helpful and the other is argumentative.

Happy sailing!

We will just have to agree to disagree. If someone asks if they can purchase Cheers prior to embarking, a direct answer would be, "Yes." An opinionated non-answer would be "Why would anyone want to spend that much money on alcohol?"

One answer is helpful and the other is argumentative.

Happy sailing!

if you looked, I answered the OP in an earlier post but felt the need to expand because depending on the reason it could change the answer.

so I answered the question ... then I asked for more info to better serve the OP