Tips question

archer_310

if you looked, I answered the OP in an earlier post but felt the need to expand because depending on the reason it could change the answer.

so I answered the question ... then I asked for more info to better serve the OP

To better serve? That's both rich and illuminating. Again, happy sailing.

We will just have to agree to disagree. If someone asks if they can purchase Cheers prior to embarking, a direct answer would be, "Yes." An opinionated non-answer would be "Why would anyone want to spend that much money on alcohol?"

One answer is helpful and the other is argumentative.

Happy sailing!

Pot calling kettle black though not unexpected here. :rolleyes:

I've actually seen a quote from a CCL line's crew services directory that lays out that policy.

If you take the auto tips off they must turn in cash tips they receive from you to the tip pool.

And before someone says "awwww they just pocket the cash" .... do you really think they'd risk being fired for your one tip - especially when they are asked by management why they think the passenger took their auto tips off??

On Princess they have to hand cash tips in auto tips removed or not. (I've actually read the crew contract). Now what happens with them after that is somewhat open to debate and the contract doesn't spell it out. The contract I saw was a 2015 version.

Wonder if the statistic that I read once on Cruise Critic is true that 95% of those who remove the auto tip end up not tipping at all.:eek:

I think so.

It's as easy as it gets with the tips just auto posting to your sail & sign or those that pre paid. You don't have to do anything else or think about it. To take the time to stand in line at GS and remove the tips and then go tip them in "cash" in my opinion is ridiculous and I'm certain it doesn't happen. Sadly, the staff get stiffed.:(

it does make a difference. if they are planning on lowering or eliminating the tips then the recommendation from me would be different than if they are going to tip the same or better

also if the OP thinks it wont be pooled and thats why, then knowing this can educate the OP correctly

There are many reasons why knowing this information is helpful to the answer the OP is looking for.

I dont think the OP answered yet either which is also suspect because if it was nothing nefarious then answering it would be helpful to all. Just saying that is how I always did it is not really an answer. People used to write on walls with rocks.... times change and improves.

I think I'm done with this thread. I posted a simple question as this is a new cruiseline for me and wanted to know the procedure. It seems to have turned into a war of words about whether I'm planning on following thru with cash or ripping off the workers. I have answered that question.

For hftmrock: I'm not sure what question I haven't answered, but that is now moot as I have already said, I am now done with this thread.

Thanks to those that have clarified the procedure from my initial question, I appreciate it.

that's great rationalization but begs my original question which is why not answer the op's question rather than feel a compulsion to recommend a different course of action or question the motives.

Why isn't relevant when someone asks when or how. And it seems a bit presumptuous to suggest nefarious intentions.

I prefer to prepay grats, but that information isn't helpful or germane to the question asked.

thank you!

I haven't done Carnival yet, but on Royal Carribean we had the gratuities paid to our room, but then the last night they left an envelope in our room to put cash for anyone that you wanted to tip extra. You had to put their name on it and department, then there were places to drop off the envelope. That way you didn't have to chase anyone down. Is it not that way on Carnival? I prepaid our gratuities already for our upcoming cruise in May, but I was planning on leaving cash for the room attendant as well at the end. (Although they are usually easier to track down than a waiter). (We also will have little kids and not planning to do the sit down dining room).

No, it's not that way on Carnival. There are envelopes available at GS, if you wish them. Normally, we just find the people that we want to tip extra on the last night and hand it to them. Good for you for having prepaid gratuities and leaving them in place!

Do the crew on Carnival still get a list of those who have opted out of the auto gratuities?

Yes, they do. I saw it on my last cruise. Also, our room steward told us that if someone removes grats and then gives them cash, they have to turn it into the Hotel Director to be placed in the tipping pool. Removing grats and tipping in cash is just more work for EVERYONE.

Yes, they do. I saw it on my last cruise. Also, our room steward told us that if someone removes grats and then gives them cash, they have to turn it into the Hotel Director to be placed in the tipping pool. Removing grats and tipping in cash is just more work for EVERYONE.

And yet this is Carnival's statement on that matter.

"Crew members are not informed of which guests removed their gratuities until after the voyage is completed and guests have disembarked."

After talking to crew on several cruises (& not just Carnival) here's a list of members whom I understand the auto-gratuity or service charges are shared among. I'll try to list them in the order I've pieced together as to whom gets the larger share of the money.

I'm using the CCL FAQs as they show the general breakdown to start with (I'm sure I will miss a position or 5 or the order of importance might be debated):

Here is the general pool of crew that share the auto or prepaid per day charges:

Housekeeping Team at $4.05 ($5.05 for suites) per passenger per day includes:

1. your head cabin steward
  2. your assistant cabin steward
  3. the guys/gals that vacuums and cleans the hall by your cabin
  4. the relief steward that covers special requests while your base steward team is on break
  5. any trainee assigned to your specific service team

Dining Team at $6.40 per passenger per day includes:

1. your MDR dinner head waiter (even for YTD that's part of the reason they ask your cabin #)
  2. your MDR dinner assistant waiter
  3. your MDR dinner junior waiter
  4. your primary MDR breakfast waiter (again the reason they may ask your cabin #)
  5. your assistant MDR breakfast waiter
  6. your primary MDR lunch waiter (again the reason they may ask your cabin #)
  7. your assistant MDR lunch waiter
  8. the host(ess) that seats you at open seating meals
  9. the table bus and redress team
  10. the waiters that work at busing the Buffet, Cafe, or BBQ areas
  11. the personnel that fills the self service drink stations and pushes the carts of included beverages
  12. the plate runner (if a line uses them)

Alternative Services: $2.50 per passenger per day includes:

1. the housekeeping staff that cleans the public bathrooms, lounges, and halls
  2. the musicians that play background music in waiting areas (as long as they are not selling CDs or DVDs)
  3. the crew that hands out, exchanges, or collects pool towels or sports equipment, as well as policing those areas
  4. specialty food line workers like the omelet, carving, and other cooked to order buffet or cafe stations
  5. the guys/gals that transport the dirty linens, dishes, and glasses to the washer area
  6. the crew that volunteers to be act as on board guides, wheelchair transporters, or interpreters

As you can see with that many team members sharing the "tipping pool" that those at the bottom of the list could be averaging less than a quarter per passenger per day, while those at the top may only get a dollar or 2. Also note that many cruise lines will allow you to shift percentages among the staff. So say like a previous poster stated they don't plan on utilizing the MDR so if they want to they can go to the GS desk and request that the bulk of their tips go to the buffet, cafe, BBQ &/or the self service station personnel instead of the MDR wait staff.

After talking to crew on several cruises (& not just Carnival) here's a list of members whom I understand the auto-gratuity or service charges are shared among. I'll try to list them in the order I've pieced together as to whom gets the larger share of the money. I'm using the CCL FAQs as they show the general breakdown to start with (I'm sure I will miss a position or 5 or the order of importance might be debated):

Here is the general pool of crew that share the auto or prepaid per day charges:

4. the relief steward that covers special requests while your base steward team is on break

1. your MDR dinner head waiter (even for YTD that's part of the reason they ask your cabin #)
  4. your primary MDR breakfast waiter (again the reason they may ask your cabin #)
  11. the personnel that fills the self service drink stations and pushes the carts of included beverages

2. the musicians that play background music in waiting areas (as long as they are not selling CDs or DVDs)
  3. the crew that hands out, exchanges, or collects pool towels or sports equipment, as well as policing those areas
  4. specialty food line workers like the omelet, carving, and other cooked to order buffet or cafe stations
  5. the guys/gals that transport the dirty linens, dishes, and glasses to the washer area
  6. the crew that volunteers to be act as on board guides, wheelchair transporters, or interpreters

As you can see with that many team members sharing the "tipping pool" that those at the bottom of the list could be averaging less than a quarter per passenger per day, while those at the top may only get a dollar or 2. Also note that many cruise lines will allow you to shift percentages among the staff. So say like a previous poster stated they don't plan on utilizing the MDR so if they want to they can go to the GS desk and request that the bulk of their tips go to the buffet, cafe, BBQ &/or the self service station personnel instead of the MDR wait staff.

and I believe this is regardless if you use the auto gratuity or if you remove the auto gratuity and pay in cash. only if they get above and beyond the numbers above can/should they keep it themselves

and I believe this is regardless if you use the auto gratuity or if you remove the auto gratuity and pay in cash. only if they get above and beyond the numbers above can/should they keep it themselves

Since most of the industry encompasses the auto-gratuity or service fee model any cash given directly to a crew member is theirs to keep.

So actually if using cash only the answer in a way is no. When cash is left to a team member they are supposed to turn it in to the only if they know the auto-grat or service fee was revoked by the passenger. The problem there is the list of passsengers whom removed the auto-payment does not get sent to the crew until the next cruise or pay period (depends on the line). Since few of the crew remember which passenger gave cash only vs who left the auto in place and gave cash above and beyond, the paymaster calculates based on the normal published gratuities a deduction from the crew with most face to face responsibilities to passengers (ie. the head waiter or head steward) then redistributing the deduction to the other team members.

So the cash only system works only if giving that face to face crew the full amount per passenger that is part of their division plus some part of the alternative service portion.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Since most of the industry encompasses the auto-gratuity or service fee model any cash given directly to a crew member is theirs to keep.

So actually if using cash only the answer in a way is no. When cash is left to a team member they are supposed to turn it in to the only if they know the auto-grat or service fee was revoked by the passenger. The problem there is the list of passsengers whom removed the auto-payment does not get sent to the crew until the next cruise or pay period (depends on the line). Since few of the crew remember which passenger gave cash only vs who left the auto in place and gave cash above and beyond, the paymaster calculates based on the normal published gratuities a deduction from the crew with most face to face responsibilities to passengers (ie. the head waiter or head steward) then redistributing the deduction to the other team members.

So the cash only system works only if giving that face to face crew the full amount per passenger that is part of their division plus some part of the alternative service portion.Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

another very strong reason to just leave the auto tips in place. sounds like a very complicated and cumbersome thing every time someone thinks they are helping by giving cash

another very strong reason to just leave the auto tips in place. sounds like a very complicated and cumbersome thing every time someone thinks they are helping by giving cash

Sorry, I refuse to believe those who remove tips believe they are helping out the employees. People remove times because they are cheap, OBC, control freaks, arrogant, vain or some other self-serving reason.

After talking to crew on several cruises (& not just Carnival) here's a list of members whom I understand the auto-gratuity or service charges are shared among. I'll try to list them in the order I've pieced together as to whom gets the larger share of the money. I'm using the CCL FAQs as they show the general breakdown to start with (I'm sure I will miss a position or 5 or the order of importance might be debated):

This is rubbish. You are mixing tipped and salaried positions. Salaried employees do not get tips.

So you sail a cruiseline that you don't trust? Do you really think that Carnival (or any other line) is going to commit fraud? Do you walk around with a wad of cash and just hand singles to everyone that performs some sort of service for you (every line cook, everyone that clears a table, everyone that brings ice to the bar for your drinks, etc...).

Do you just eat at restaurants who include the gratuity? The reasoning behind just auto tip because the cruise line doesn't pay the staff well is not a good reason to auto tip. I enjoy tipping for services. That's why it's called a tip. I do it every time and the service people are extremely grateful I do. Sorry if you don't agree but we each have the choice to do as we want. I enjoy it and the people I tip do too. All happy.

As I said, it's just something we've always done with Disney - we prefer to give our tips in cash. Not trying to start a war here, just trying to clarify the procedure.

Hi Archer

Sorry, Archer. You said that you did not whish no "jip" anyone. People on this thread are pointing out to you that there is "no good reason" for doing what you say you would like to do.

This is a much debated point...if you had been able to do some sort of search you would have been able to understand that. Pretty much, the consensus is that if you aren't just trying to get this sort of discussion started for the umpteenth time to be disruptive, then you are just cheap (because most don't believe that you will indeed hand out the amount of money that is recommended) and will be cheating many crew members who were in fact making your cruise the memorable vacation that you hope it to be.

If you like giving out money to people personally, you can give people extra money if you felt they deserved it. It's your money, so you can do with it as you please, but I thought I would just make it clear why people feel so strongly about the matter.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

its interesting that someone comes to a message board for advice

'I'm now not sure what my best avenue is in this regard. Could someone clarify?'

People provide advice but overwhelmingly share the advice that the thought process the OP is thinking shouldn't be done that way but the OP basically chooses to not listen to any of that advice because they didn't want to hear that advice.

as an example - if I asked when I should give my 2 dollar bills to the staff (at the beginning or the end of the cruise) and everyone told me not to give out 2 dollar bills because its very hard to cash on the islands and its looked at suspiciously I would heed the overwhelming advice here even though I didnt specifically ask that question and I would be grateful for the advice.

The folks here have tons of experience and if the overwhelming majority are saying something... typically there is good reason to listen to it. If the OP is new to Carnival and asked about tipping and the majority are telling the OP that he/she should keep the auto tips in place.... it might not have been exactly what they asked but it still has merit and validity and there must be a reason everyone is saying it most of which is well documented and posted in this thread.

sometimes I wonder why people ask for advice on a public message board....

I have cruised for many years and it's a signature quick tip in bars, room service etc, to give $2 bills. I've never been told they were hard to cash nor have they been hard for me to cash on any island. What they do is make you memorable. I have what I need when I come back. They remember me. It's fun to be remembered. How can making change for $2 be any different than for $1 that doesn't make sense. Do what you want. I will do likewise.

I don't give $2 bills at end of cruise. I give gratuities in person, in an envelope. I like the smiles and handshakes I get and I am frequently remembered on return cruises.

No one has ever complained. They were always happy and said so.

The only place I hear a lot of complaining is in these forums from so called experts. There are quite a few of them all wanting to tell you what to do.

I'm only telling you what I do. You will make your own choice and whatever you do, do it with a glad heart.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Larry6905
spelling

Sorry, the search doesn't seem to be working for me, so this may already have been answered. We're first-time Carnival cruisers. I know that I can ask that tips be taken off my account so that I can pay them in cash, but I'm confused by when this should be done. I've previously read that they put them on the account a few days into the cruise. However, I've been told by a previous Carnival cruiser that I should wait until the last day to take them off my account and then ask for envelopes in order to hand cash directly to the people we want to tip.

I'm now not sure what my best avenue is in this regard. Could someone clarify?

You can check your sign and sail card on your tv or at kiosks in main lobby. I generally wait until day before last day to remove auto gratuities.

They will do and not look at you strange. Many people like the old fashioned way of doing things. I've been doing it for years. Honestly I think the people who serve me enjoy it too. Each cruise is different. There have been some where I eat in the specialty dining, others off ship when in port and order room service. I rarely eat on Lido but if I do I leave a tip just as I am accustom to doing at home. No biggie.

No, it's not that way on Carnival. There are envelopes available at GS, if you wish them. Normally, we just find the people that we want to tip extra on the last night and hand it to them. Good for you for having prepaid gratuities and leaving them in place!

We also go to the assigned area oi people we want to tip extra and extend our personal thanks for the good service.