Is Disney that much more luxurious than NCL?

I have studied this issue more than I'd like to admit. We very much want to cruise Disney. But we cannot make it work. There are tricks to bring Disney prices down a bit, especially if you have the patience for credit card bonus and travel hacking, because there are so many outlets that sell Disney gift cards and you can stack portal and credit card bonuses. But even then, we're talking at most 5 to 7 percent. Even with first day pricing and travel hacking, the equivalent DCL cruise to the one we hope to take this summer on NCL, in an equivalent stateroom, was more than double, and we have UBP and dining. It also was three days shorter and two ports fewer.

I am getting sick of NCL's nonsense -- all the issues that we talk about here which don't need to go over again. The point is I kind of want to give the middle finger to NCL and go back to Disney, but I just can't foot the bill. Maybe RCL next year, but not Disney.

"Maybe RCL next year" - Honestly , this is the key . Don't limit yourself to choice A or B . As has been said before , the mass market cruise lines are more alike then different . Except for Disney , I've cruised on all the majors . The individual ship , itinerary and cruise length are more important then the brand name . I'm even looking at MSC and Costa . I'm confident you would have a blast on all especially on a Mediterranean cruise where OMG , your cruising the Med . :)

It's been good to read comments from people who have sailed on Disney as well as other cruise lines. We only have 2 friends locally who have sailed on Disney, and both agree that the experience is amazing, and that it's like nothing else out there. However upon asking both what other cruise lines they have sailed on, neither has ever sailed on any other cruise line. That takes some credibility away from their comment about Disney being like nothing else out there when they've never had anything else to compare it with.

We will find out in a few months what Disney is all about. We are not Disney lovers so I'm hoping that I can take the experience in objectively and without being blinded by pixie dust. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

"Maybe RCL next year" - Honestly , this is the key . Don't limit yourself to choice A or B . As has been said before , the mass market cruise lines are more alike then different . Except for Disney , I've cruised on all the majors . The individual ship , itinerary and cruise length are more important then the brand name . I'm even looking at MSC and Costa . I'm confident you would have a blast on all especially on a Mediterranean cruise where OMG , your cruising the Med . :)

But, but, but . . . we're almost platinum! I can't switch now.

Seriously, that's good advice. I remember the first time we cruised NCL -- it was after 3 DCL cruises (back when Disney was just expensive, not really expensive). The newness of it all was kind of cool. Maybe it would be the same way with RCI or MSC. It's a difficult balance between not wanting to try new things out of familiarity and risk aversion and wanting to try something new.

We are not Disney lovers so I'm hoping that I can take the experience in objectively and without being blinded by pixie dust. [emoji6]

This is the thing that puzzles me after many of others' replies - many claim that DCL is like no other, but based on my personal experience with NCL and Celebrity, and now lastly with DCL, and the lack of any objective examples of why, I find most those claims caused by "the pixie dust blindness" ;) and the fact that they need to keep thinking that in order to justify the price to themselves.

Don't get me wrong, there are many who have posted here their perfectly good opinions - it's those that claim for example "Disney is upclass" and "Second to none" without any proper examples why, that irk me. (Being a cheerleader with blinders on is never a good thing, regardless of the cruise line of choice.)

Family Deluxe Balcony with split bathroom is genius. Service in dining room with servers rotating thru the Restaurants with you is genius. Dining room service is over the top IMO, servers supply the best personal experience (wine & drinks at the table when you arrive as an example) a bowl of olives for granddaughter and cherries for grandson just because they asked for extra once) There must be a special school of service that Disney runs that other cruise lines fail to follow. There wasn't a Cast Member who didn't know the children's names and make every moment a Disney moment.... Then there is the Full on Broadway style Disney Shows, wow.

Children's Clubs - room for every child and our kids would hardly leave the activities. Leaving Adult time to the Adults. The list IMO is endless!

Note: while we have sailed several lines but we are primarily Regent cruisers and enjoy HAL too.

i love the Disney parks but not the Disney "stuff" like the characters and such, i'm not that kind of Disney fan. they do entertainment well, but the Disney of it can get to be too much for me. i have friends who love all things Disney, it's kind of creepy, but i'm not a hater, either.

having been on Disney Fantasy twice now, it is a pleasant experience! but it cannot possibly be the only amazing cruise experience out there. the bars were always empty, no one was ever dancing, the food was not spectacular (not bad! just not crazy amazing). we never got any special treatment from our steward, in fact on the second cruise we could never find him. getting off the ship in Grand Cayman was a fricken nightmare (tenders). the endless line at mco to get in the bus to Canaveral was...well, endless.

check in at the terminal was easy and fast. the ship is very pretty, but again, there's a lot of Disney to it, and i'm not into that. everyone we interacted with was very nice and helpful. our balcony room was a good size and i liked the two separate bathrooms. ship was very clean. spa was a little disappointing, but the special showers are cool. didn't derive any special treatment from dining staff, no remembering preferences or anything, but they were very attentive. everything for the most part hummed along great.

these are things i expect on my vacation. we're cruising the Gem on 3/29, and then we'll find out if our expectations are met in the same fashion. i'm hopeful some things are similar, i'm hoping some things are different. it'll be really interesting to see if it's a better fit for our family. Disney cannot be the best for everyone. the service and experience are great! but i have been to other resorts where the service and experience were just as good. the different ship thing will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Edited by gidgetgoes
date

i love the Disney parks but not the Disney "stuff" like the characters and such, i'm not that kind of Disney fan. they do entertainment well, but the Disney of it can get to be too much for me. i have friends who love all things Disney, it's kind of creepy, but i'm not a hater, either.

having been on Disney Fantasy twice now, it is a pleasant experience! but it cannot possibly be the only amazing cruise experience out there. the bars were always empty, no one was ever dancing, the food was not spectacular (not bad! just not crazy amazing). we never got any special treatment from our steward, in fact on the second cruise we could never find him. getting off the ship in Grand Cayman was a fricken nightmare (tenders). the endless line at mco to get in the bus to Canaveral was...well, endless.

check in at the terminal was easy and fast. the ship is very pretty, but again, there's a lot of Disney to it, and i'm not into that. everyone we interacted with was very nice and helpful. our balcony room was a good size and i liked the two separate bathrooms. ship was very clean. spa was a little disappointing, but the special showers are cool. didn't derive any special treatment from dining staff, no remembering preferences or anything, but they were very attentive. everything for the most part hummed along great.

these are things i expect on my vacation. we're cruising the Gem on 4/29, and then we'll find out if our expectations are met in the same fashion. i'm hopeful some things are similar, i'm hoping some things are different. it'll be really interesting to see if it's a better fit for our family. Disney cannot be the best for everyone. the service and experience are great! but i have been to other resorts where the service and experience were just as good. the different ship thing will be interesting.

I think it's a Special Trip when it's a family with children of a certain age. Not sure I would sail DCL without the kids.

We did three cruises on Disney, and on two the service was I would say just fine but not materially better than NCL. One the service was a notch above. One significant difference though is the officers. If you need their involvement, anyone with stripes on a Disney cruise seems to have discretion to help you and to resolve anything on the spot, whereas on NCL it's much different.

I think a significant question in comparing the two is where are you cruising? European cruises are significantly different from Caribbean and Alaska cruises. A 7-day Disney cruise in the Caribbean involves significantly more time on the ship than on land. There are three stops in 7 days, and you have to be on board around 4:30 to 5:30. The cruises to Alaska also involve a significant amount of on board but not nearly as much as Caribbean. Europe is the farther end of the spectrum. Longer port days, more ports. (The Disney 11-day this summer, for example, has just 2 sea days and the port stops go much later at night.)

The fanciness of the ship therefore plays a much more significant role in the Caribbean cruises because you're on it for much longer. Entertainment and dinner and all that other stuff takes on added significance when even on port days you're back on board at 5:00. In Europe, at least in my opinion, it matters much less. It is much more port intensive. There is more to do in each port and you're gone longer. At least for us, a quick fuel up at the buffet in the morning, and then port exploration until later in the evening is what we're after. Usually we eat a bit later, and are often too tired for a show, especially if we have an early port day the next day.

When we sailed Fantasy, we joked that "there's nothing as good off the ship as there is on it." We did Western and Eastern, and most of the time we were fine with a 4 hour excursion, and then getting back on board. Over time, we've become a bit more adventurous and see sea days as more of a negative on cruises than a positive. That has really lessened the significance of the difference between Disney and NCL for us.

We did three cruises on Disney, and on two the service was I would say just fine but not materially better than NCL. One the service was a notch above. One significant difference though is the officers. If you need their involvement, anyone with stripes on a Disney cruise seems to have discretion to help you and to resolve anything on the spot, whereas on NCL it's much different.

I think a significant question in comparing the two is where are you cruising? European cruises are significantly different from Caribbean and Alaska cruises. A 7-day Disney cruise in the Caribbean involves significantly more time on the ship than on land. There are three stops in 7 days, and you have to be on board around 4:30 to 5:30. The cruises to Alaska also involve a significant amount of on board but not nearly as much as Caribbean. Europe is the farther end of the spectrum. Longer port days, more ports. (The Disney 11-day this summer, for example, has just 2 sea days and the port stops go much later at night.)

The fanciness of the ship therefore plays a much more significant role in the Caribbean cruises because you're on it for much longer. Entertainment and dinner and all that other stuff takes on added significance when even on port days you're back on board at 5:00. In Europe, at least in my opinion, it matters much less. It is much more port intensive. There is more to do in each port and you're gone longer. At least for us, a quick fuel up at the buffet in the morning, and then port exploration until later in the evening is what we're after. Usually we eat a bit later, and are often too tired for a show, especially if we have an early port day the next day.

When we sailed Fantasy, we joked that "there's nothing as good off the ship as there is on it." We did Western and Eastern, and most of the time we were fine with a 4 hour excursion, and then getting back on board. Over time, we've become a bit more adventurous and see sea days as more of a negative on cruises than a positive. That has really lessened the significance of the difference between Disney and NCL for us.

that is a great point about the difference between Caribbean and Europe. we did spend a lot of time on the ship both DCL cruises, and it was pleasant. could never get into the pool, and it was often too cold for the aqua duck, but just nice places to hang out and plenty of good food. we've never done anything but Caribbean cruises, i don't even think of ships going anywhere else! :) funny.

i hope to find lots of cool places to hang out on the Gem. from what i've seen and read, looks like the chances are good. lots of sea days, i hope it's good!

Edited by gidgetgoes
shortening

No That wasn't what I meant to communicate. Disney prices their cabins (after you put in the number of persons sailing) and then calculates a price for the cabin including fees and taxes. On most other cruise lines you have to add the port fees and taxes onto the price. The point I was feebly attempting to make was to understand how each line prices their cabins so that you get fair comparison pricing for similar itineraries. Disney tends to be much more expensive than other lines. It happened that their cruise to the British Isles was favorably priced with other lines sailing the same itinerary so we went with Disney. Like I said in the original post, I like to cruise and look for value and itinerary and compare apples to apples in price and number of people sailing in a cabin. I have sailed on NCL, Princess, and Disney. We have our first Celebrity cruise this year. I have found that there is more alike than different with the cruise lines. Go with what makes you happy.

You're saying that whether you put 2 or 4 people in the room, the price is the same? That was not the case on any of our 7 DCL cruises or any I've priced out since. Disney prices are no way comparable to other lines! I can book a concierge balcony or sometimes a suite on Celebrity for the price of a DCL inside stateroom on a comparable itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gwsster

We have done 13 Disney cruises and one NCL. Disney is truly extraordinary :-) I feel like while on the ship you are having this magical experience. Crew is happy, passengers are happy and everyone is in the magical time warp.

We are starting to look at lower cost cruise options due to Disney's skyrocketing prices in the last 2 years. We want to sail more often so we wanted to try other options.

We tried the Epic for Christmas and we enjoyed it but it was not Disney but for the cost difference we still will do NCL.

Here are the things that we found missing from NCL.

Our kids (10 and 13 yrs) did not anything to do with NCL Kids clubs whereas on DCL they don't want to leave those spaces. We never got to have much time away from our kids :-) on NCL. We enjoy having a couple hours here and there and on DCL we get plenty of alone time.

Lack of really awesome evening entertainment on NCL. I love Disney shows and the entertainment they bring on. They are always the best and very easy to attend. NCL you have to book tickets ahead of time and we found it hard to get tickets to the days/times. The kids love the Disney Theater where they run Disney movies all day and night. We love watching the movies on the pool deck in the evenings while grabbing a cone or snack on DCL. There is none of that on NCL.

In general Disney crew seems much happier and willing to go out of there way to give you a Disney experience. We have had so many amazing interactions with Disney crew. Disney crew will give you magical moments certificates and gifts in your cabin when they have a good interaction with your family/children. My kids love coming to cabin and having a magical moment waiting for them. Whereas the Epic crew seemed less engaged.

Where we thought NCL beat DCL was the food! So many more dining options. The buffet was delicious. We loved being able to do the buffet for dinner after a long day in port and not have to get dressed for main dining. Really wish Disney would do a evening/dinner buffet. NCL is the cruise is you want to eat well and experience so many different options! All the specialty dining options is awesome as well.

The Epic room design is horrible especially if you want to do a family of four in a standard balcony. That was not a pleasant experience. Very tight and weird bathroom next to the bed. Disney cabins both oceanview and standard balcony are perfect, spacey and comfortable for a family of 4.

Plus Epic we could never get our room temperature down. We had like 4 of the 7 nights were it was so hot we were all pretty uncomfortable sleeping. We complained but nothing was every done by NCL. We also experienced that some inside spaces on the ship itself seemed pretty warm on NCL. On Disney the room temp has never been an issue. Definitely bring a fan on NCL ships.

One more thing on the room, my kids enjoy watching a show in the evening before bed or while we are showering and getting ready for dinner. Disney in room/tv programming is the bomb! They have so many channels with whatever you want to watch Disney shows/movies/cartoons. And on the Fantasy/Dream they have every Disney movie and cartoons on demand. NCL had like 2 channels of random shows/old sitcoms. My kids was pretty disappointed.

We have both a NCL on Escape and Disney scheduled for the next year! Looking forward to being at sea more with NCL.

Edited by sunny2runner

you are totally right about the movies in room! on the fantasy, we had breakfast in our room every morning while watching a pixar film, it was really cool. i've already prepared the family this time that we won't have that, but we can still do breakfast in the room and watch the waves on the balcony.

apparently the epic is a "special" ship. ;) my understanding is the Gem does movies by the pool? no? and the bathrooms are not as weird? i think the bathrooms on the epic are notorious.

This is the thing that puzzles me after many of others' replies - many claim that DCL is like no other, but based on my personal experience with NCL and Celebrity, and now lastly with DCL, and the lack of any objective examples of why, I find most those claims caused by "the pixie dust blindness" ;) and the fact that they need to keep thinking that in order to justify the price to themselves.

Don't get me wrong, there are many who have posted here their perfectly good opinions - it's those that claim for example "Disney is upclass" and "Second to none" without any proper examples why, that irk me. (Being a cheerleader with blinders on is never a good thing, regardless of the cruise line of choice.)

Because Disney's skyrocketing prices in the last 2 years,us too decided to look for other options.

We just did our first NCL last December and we had a wonderful time for the money spent but there are just things and experience you can’t get on NCL. I agreed with other posts about Disney's magical experiences. Yes, I’m one of those got blinded by the pixie dust and here are some of reasons why.

1.Mickey and friends are everywhere.

2.Top notch customer service throughout the ship. Every crewmember go out their way to give you the Disney experience and yes, it really make the differences.

3.Holiday cruises. Holiday-themed entertainment and décor the Disney way. Santa is on board during Christmas seasons and almost everyone dress up for Halloween costume parties.

4.Servers. You will have the same serving team through out your cruise. They know you and your kids by name, your favorite drinks, etc. On our 1st Christmas cruise, we celebrated my son’s 4 years old birthday. Crewmembers brought a small vanilla cake to the table and sang Happy Birthday song to him but he didn’t like the cake. So they said, no worries. We’ll bring a different one. So they came back with a chocolate cake with ice cream and asked him to go to guest services after dinner for a surprise. We went to guest service, they sang Happy Birthday song to him and gave him a toy. Yep! They spoiled our kids but they also gave our kids the wonderful experiences they’ll always remember.

5.Kids club kids actually love and don’t want to leave. Fun activities like Pluto's Pajama Party where kids color their own pillowcase that they take home.

6.Excellent entertainment and shows. And if you’re in pajamas, one of the channels on your stateroom TV broadcasts a recording of the show every night. So you won’t miss a show.

7.Disney Theater. Movies all day and night.

8.Watch movies on the pool deck in the evenings.

9.Stateroom TV programming. There are many channels to choose from.

10.Room service day or night and you can order as many Mickey Bars as your heart desire. You can have a nice hot coffee ready for you as soon as you wake up and have breakfast on your balcony every day.

11.Castaway Cay. The Disney experience and service continue on to their private island. They have family and adult beach. Kid’s club is available on the island.

12.Pirate night dinner and party.

13.Chocolates in stateroom every night.

14.Fish Extenders. A gift exchange between passengers, kind of like the secret Santa.

15.Decorated stateroom doors.

20121207_1136_zpsccvgigpp.jpg

20121207_1137_zpstzcu8hs3.jpg

Edited by goeva

Just responding to the the title of this thread...I would say while I wouldn't consider DCL more "luxurious" (neither qualify as "luxury" IMO), they simply do pretty much everything...better.

Food quality is probably the only thing about equal. However, pretty much everything else - service/staff, entertainment (shows, plus movie theaters), kids clubs (if for no other reason than not closing for stretches during the day - although it's much more than that), staterooms (including the TV channels), check-in/embarkation/disembarkation, private island - Disney does better. MUCH better in some cases, such as service and pleasantness of staff.

Edited by mcd2745

Family Deluxe Balcony with split bathroom is genius. Service in dining room with servers rotating thru the Restaurants with you is genius. Dining room service is over the top IMO, servers supply the best personal experience (wine & drinks at the table when you arrive as an example) a bowl of olives for granddaughter and cherries for grandson just because they asked for extra once) There must be a special school of service that Disney runs that other cruise lines fail to follow. There wasn't a Cast Member who didn't know the children's names and make every moment a Disney moment.... Then there is the Full on Broadway style Disney Shows, wow.

Children's Clubs - room for every child and our kids would hardly leave the activities. Leaving Adult time to the Adults. The list IMO is endless!

Note: while we have sailed several lines but we are primarily Regent cruisers and enjoy HAL too.

obviously

you cruise upscale lines, which makes a difference in how you view cruises. You mention the entertainment, for families it is a great experience, but the lack of adult activities for adults is very limited. I agree from what I have heard the restaurant experience is great but I have also heard the food isn't superiour to other lines particularly. I have heard this from both our TA and clients I had when I was a TA for 12 years.

I assume you are a TA and if I am right, you certainly know it depends on the client; when I was still an agent, (retired about 4 years ago) I had many clients I would never advise them to take NCL and others not to take Disney.

To me,the lines are as different as night and day. Both are great lines, but for different reasons. Luxury, yes, OP Disney is more upscale; fun for adults particularly, NCL hands down.

Then these posts leave me with a bit of a problem and perhaps all here could advise me on how to handle it :) My bother in law (wife's brother) is a DIE hard, dyed in the wool WDW fanatic. For almost thirty years, ALL I ever heard was, 'Disney this, and Disney that..' There were times (and yes MANY times, over those twenty plus years) even though he was behind in bills, he'd still find the money to go to WDW ,inside park hotel package even. I told him last year he IS the biggest Disney fan I know, if not the oldest. He's just turned 58 yoa and is 6'6, 245 pounds and probably still wears the 'mouse ears' when he enters the park and even proposed (on bended knee)to his last wife there in '08. But I digress, (sorry about that). Having never sailed DCL (all of my 15 cruises have been on the lower end of the pier) and only hearing GLOWING reviews from folks like him, I innocently mentioned he MIGHT wanna just consider a DCL as his first cruise and now he is hooked on the idea. The problem is he's alone now, and most women his age consider his fanantical love of the mouse, a bit 'odd'. But, he won't and will NOT consider any disparaging words about 'Disney'. Jokingly, I've mentioned professional help, but it's fallen on deaf ears (No pun intended). He won't come here to read anything or any review that MIGHT change his mind, so what else can I do? Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance,

Mac

Then these posts leave me with a bit of a problem and perhaps all here could advise me on how to handle it :) My bother in law (wife's brother) is a DIE hard, dyed in the wool WDW fanatic. For almost thirty years, ALL I ever heard was, 'Disney this, and Disney that..' There were times (and yes MANY times, over those twenty plus years) even though he was behind in bills, he'd still find the money to go to WDW ,inside park hotel package even. I told him last year he IS the biggest Disney fan I know, if not the oldest. He's just turned 58 yoa and is 6'6, 245 pounds and probably still wears the 'mouse ears' when he enters the park and even proposed (on bended knee)to his last wife there in '08. But I digress, (sorry about that). Having never sailed DCL (all of my 15 cruises have been on the lower end of the pier) and only hearing GLOWING reviews from folks like him, I innocently mentioned he MIGHT wanna just consider a DCL as his first cruise and now he is hooked on the idea. The problem is he's alone now, and most women his age consider his fanantical love of the mouse, a bit 'odd'. But, he won't and will NOT consider any disparaging words about 'Disney'. Jokingly, I've mentioned professional help, but it's fallen on deaf ears (No pun intended). He won't come here to read anything or any review that MIGHT change his mind, so what else can I do? Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance,

Mac

P.S. his sister (my wife) HAS no intrest in either WDW OR DCL, so it doesn't run in the family.

Mac

There is one other thing that has to be considered..

NCL has what 14? 16 ships? with more on the way. DCL has 4. It's a LOT easier to produce a higher end and more consistent product among a smaller fleet, even without the backing of Disney Corporate...

However that also has downsides. As an example, one of the reasons Disney commands higher prices besides the name is they have less capacity... They also have more limits on itineraries, as an example they would barely be able to cover the Med, Caribbean, Alaska and Canada/NE at the same time even if they wanted to while other lines can put multiple ships in those locations. They are missing out on the asian markets for example. That also means the lack some economies of scale, which also means higher prices.

The question continues to be not 'Does Disney produce a great product, probably superior on average to most market lines?', the question is are those differences meaningful to any given cruiser, and if so, are those differences warranted by the cost difference, and again this is an individual decision based on finances and situation.

For myself and the wife, the answer right now, and we are big Disney fans, is no. The cost gap outweighs the differences. Prices change and we will always re-evaluate...

That is good to know...so convenient. I haven't looked into Epic. Honestly, I've only researched Breakaway, Getaway, and Escape

Thanks! :D

The Epic bathroom situation is horrible. Bathroom (toilet) Literally next to the bed. If someone gets up to get to go to the bathroom in the middle up the night, you will get woken up. Sink next to vanity. Weirdness! We just could never get over the set up of their rooms on the Epic.

Edited by sunny2runner

There is one other thing that has to be considered..

NCL has what 14? 16 ships? with more on the way. DCL has 4. It's a LOT easier to produce a higher end and more consistent product among a smaller fleet, even without the backing of Disney Corporate...

For those who don't know...DCL does have 2 more ships on the way - albeit 5 years away,

7 of my 13 cruises have been with Disney. However, I can no longer justify the excessive cost. Yes, entertainment is far superior, but that's what Disney does. Ships are pretty, but so are others. Food is the same. Restaurants are nice and you rotate restaurants, so it's different venue each night. I would rather cruise longer, more often and in nicer staterooms than cruise Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We feel the same on DCL and the cost. We went on two other cruise lines last year. Than we recently did a last minute VGT on Disney Wonder and got wrapped in the Disney magic again :-) We were like oh yeah - Disney leaves you in the feeling of bliss :-) I realize not everyone feels like that but we were like oh I love this feeling of everything being such right.

Our kids started cruising with Disney at the age of 4 and 6 and now are 11 and 13 and they love it. It feels like a second home. They love the kid club counselors. They make ton of friends with other kids in the clubs and now have the freedom to wonder the ship which I would let them do on another cruise line.

We are going to try other cruise lines but knowing they will just be different than Disney.