Is this a tipping or dress code thread?

neverbeenhere

You know that someone is actually going to take you seriously, right?

Not sure why you have to be so negative. The OP has asked a very legitimate question. ;) I know when I go out for lunch at work with my colleagues, if I'm not in the mood to tip that day I change out of my suit into sweat pants and a ragged t-shirt (the same ones I often wear in the MDR on a cruise for dinner) so that the wait staff don't expect anything from me. But I never wear a backwards ball cap as that would taking things just a little too far! :D

To my knowledge, if the suit is black or gray, you do not have to tip additionally. If you choose to wear something funky, like a green or purple tuxedo, or say, a traditional Scottish Kilt and all that goes along with that, you tip 15% additional. If you don't wear a tie with your suit, that is 20%. You can, however, wear shorts with your suit since you aren't dining in the MDR, and that does not require any additional tipping. I know this all of this to be absolute fact, beacause I am, indeed, finally Elite!;)

a traditional Scottish Kilt and all that goes along with that, you tip 15% additional.;)

So wrong, most anyone wearing a Kilt will be Scottish so no tip should be expected. And by the end of the meal they will be so plastered they can't write anyway (nor add). ;p

So wrong, most anyone wearing a Kilt will be Scottish so no tip should be expected. And by the end of the meal they will be so plastered they can't write anyway (nor add). ;p

You are correct. That was amended after the McGregor/MacDougle wedding party debacle back in 2016!

You are correct. That was amended after the McGregor/MacDougle wedding party debacle back in 2016!

Was that the one where all the groomsmen in traditional kilts (nothing under them) decided to have handstand races?

Not sure why you have to be so negative. The OP has asked a very legitimate question. ;) I know when I go out for lunch at work with my colleagues, if I'm not in the mood to tip that day I change out of my suit into sweat pants and a ragged t-shirt (the same ones I often wear in the MDR on a cruise for dinner) so that the wait staff don't expect anything from me. But I never wear a backwards ball cap as that would taking things just a little too far! :D

The OP has nearly 3,000 posts. He's a veteran cruiser. The title of the thread indicates his tongue is firmly planted in his cheek.

The OP has nearly 3,000 posts. He's a veteran cruiser. The title of the thread indicates his tongue is firmly planted in his cheek.

Sorry Marieps - my tongue was firmly in my cheek as well but I guess it wasn't in far enough.:):)

Should I tip more in the Specialty Restaurants if I wear asuit on Chic Nights? Or can I tip less,if I don’t wear a suit in the Specialty restaurant on a Chic night?:confused:
You really need to be more specific about what you are planning to wear instead of a suit if you expect to receive a definitive answer.

Or you can look it up for yourself on the Celebrity website. Somewhere I believe they have a thread about tipping where they give a formula for calculating the recommended tip, but I can't locate it at the moment.

The recommended tip for the specialty restaurants varies depending on a combination of factors, such as whether you wear a tuxedo (with or without top hat and cane), kilt, evening gown, designer jeans, nightgown, military uniform, scout uniform, jumpsuit, together with your height, weight, and age.

At one time eye color was factored into the equation as well, but one of the civil rights organizations complained that discriminating by color was illegal, so they substituted hair density instead.

I believe you still get to tip less if you are bald, (or maybe it is that you are expected to tip more if you are bald), unless another civil rights organization has since protested discrimination based upon hair density. Some of the lawyers on this board will probably know.

Oh, akowilm is right. You also need to factor into the equation whether or not you are wearing a tie, regardless of whatever else you wear.

Hope this explanation has been helpful.

Edited by varoo

I would like to thank everyone for their help on this issue. It confused me for many years and since the Chic nights became the norm (I'll try to leave Norm out of this) it has perplexed me beyond belief. If I read this all correctly, a bald couple with suit coats, shorts and flipflops don't even have to pay the "cover charge"??? But, does that mean I would still have to pay for wine?

Should I tip more in the Specialty Restaurants if I wear asuit on Chic Nights? Or can I tip less,if I don’t wear a suit in the Specialty restaurant on a Chic night?:confused:

I presume this is an attempt at humor? Obviously the gratuity is already included in the specialty rest. nicely dressed or not. Pretty much the same as the rest of the ship, but you already knew that, didn't you?

Everyone's a comedian here!

:cool:Are you really serious? Tipping is based on service, amount spent, food quality. All of these things are the same if you wear a suit or sweat pants. Tip should be the same either way, NOT HOW YOU DRESS:cool:

:cool:Are you really serious? Tipping is based on service, amount spent, food quality. All of these things are the same if you wear a suit or sweat pants. Tip should be the same either way, NOT HOW YOU DRESS:cool:

Aw, another humorous thread down the drain.

I would like to thank everyone for their help on this issue. It confused me for many years and since the Chic nights became the norm (I'll try to leave Norm out of this) it has perplexed me beyond belief. If I read this all correctly, a bald couple with suit coats, shorts and flipflops don't even have to pay the "cover charge"??? But, does that mean I would still have to pay for wine?

You are correct. Also, the "cover charge" includes wine up to $12.39 but not over $12.43. If you have the classic drink package, you can get those wines at a BOGO free price, and if you have the premium package, you can order wines up to $12.62. If you order more expensive wine, they bring it and just lie that you ordered the Kendall Jackson 'Elegance', so you pay nothing at all!! Remember, this is only valid for guests whose cabins are on the port side, and are from Deck 7-8. Everyone else is full price...

If you wear that suit pictured in your avatar you won't be charged either. ;p