Cheers for a couple. 15 drinks a day?

sweets2323

DH and I do drink at home, but not 15 a day!:eek:

However, with that being said, we usually spend about 900-1000 per cruise, with the majority being alcohol.

Told him we should get the Cheers, but he's hesitant because of the 4 port days.......:rolleyes:

Either way, Carnival will get their money. Cheers or not.

120 days to go!!!:')

I think on some days I could come close to the cost just in non alcoholic drinks, throw in a few martinis and it might be worth it. The problem is keeping up with the value day after day, and so in the long run it always evens out and is rarely ever much in my favor..

Told him we should get the Cheers, but he's hesitant because of the 4 port days.......:rolleyes:

On your four port days, you'll be back on board by 500. If you stay up till 12 or 1 that still gives you 7 or 8 hours to get your monies worth. Five drinks at the Alchemy Bar and you're ahead of the game. Easily done over 7-8 hours. Take bottled water ashore, enjoy some San Pellegrino with dinner, have a cappuccino after dinner with a Bailey's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

You're implying that it wasn't worth it to you even though your statement contradicts itself to a degree. If you averaged 3.5 drinks @ 10.00 each, you're at 35.00 during the day. And you if get off the boat most days you're gone. What about the time from 500 till when you go to bed at say 12 or 1? That's 7 or 8 hours worth of possible drinking, everyday, including those in port. If you consume 3.5 from 11-5 on sea days, you don't consume any more till you go to bed? And remember that there are other things besides soda that is non alcoholic and unlimited and included such as still and sparkling water, vitamin water, energy drinks, espresso based hot and cold coffee drinks and milkshakes. You can also get a Baileys for your coffee after dinner, or to pour over a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.

On your four port days, you'll be back on board by 500. If you stay up till 12 or 1 that still gives you 7 or 8 hours worth of possible drinking, everyday, including those in port. and you're ahead of the game. Easily done over 7-8 hours. Take bottled water ashore, enjoy some San Pellegrino with dinner, have a cappuccino after dinner with a Bailey's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

If you need to force yourself to drink contrary to your wants or habits just to get your money's worth, you need to reevaluate whether CHEERS is a smart purchase.

A high-volume drinker will always be able to provide justification to a low-volume drinker how drinking more will allow them to "get their money's worth". The low-volume drinker will get more for their money buying their beverages a la cart if the math makes sense. Saying "Well, just drink more!" isn't reasonable advice.

Exactly! ! 15 drinks per day aren't really much spread out throughout the day and night .add in some espresso and free bottles of water or soda and NO drink bill at the end

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

And I totally agree the NO bill at the end is great. Plus the fact you aren't continually trying to keep a mental tab on how much you are spending.

I don't drink nearly as much as I did in my younger days, but on vacation on a cruise I will definitely come very close if not ahead.

And that's with 4 Port days on a 8 day cruise.

Everyone just needs to decide for THEMSELVES. Some feel it is , others don't.

If you need to force yourself to drink contrary to your wants or habits just to get your money's worth, you need to reevaluate whether CHEERS is a smart purchase.

A high-volume drinker will always be able to provide justification to a low-volume drinker how drinking more will allow them to "get their money's worth". The low-volume drinker will get more for their money buying their beverages a la cart if the math makes sense. Saying "Well, just drink more!" isn't reasonable advice.

For a high volume drinker there's no question cheers is worth it. I usually have 2-3 drinks a week at home. On vacation I enjoy drinking that a day. That being said I just had a drink package on my last cruise (NCL where it's a booking perk) and I'd have a hard time cruising without it now - even as a light drinker. Now NCL didn't include near as much as carnival but def see the value in it. Price shock for the drinks on cruise makes me not have everything I'd like to have. If there are no limits, I'd have 1-2 cappuccinos a day, several sodas throughout the day, 1-2 drinks when lounging at the pool, 1-2 pre-dinner martinis, and 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner (obviously low side on port days and high side on sea days).

Would I get my monies worth every day, maybe, maybe not. Is there a value to making the drinks all inclusive? Absolutely. If I am going a la carte the prices are too high and id stick to less than 5 drinks over the course of the trip. Just a lighter drinkers perspective... the answer isn't just drink more, it's pre-paying a cost to not have to think about drinks or the cost through the trip.

Every part of your trip is a cost benefit decision... is a balcony worth $50-100 pd extra? Not to me; is picking a cabin over rather than a guarantee worth an extra $50-100 pd? Yes; is making the trip all inclusive worth an extra $100 pd? Yes if I'm sharing the cabin with another drinker - not if I'm w my bf who won't drink anything. Up to you which upgrades matter... if you want to keep the trip as budget as possible then get a guarantee inside cabin with no extras. Personally I'd prefer the drink package in an inside to a balcony.

My next cruise is a 12 day Hawaii cruise with celebrity. Balcony cabin and drink package inclusive and it's $333 per cabin per day. Satisfied with that price. (Btw, to get the same thing on carnival is $327 per cabin per day).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

I did not purchase the package so I actually didn't get an expensive lesson. If you want to get hammered everyday then you should purchase. Glad I didn't purchase it or the faster to fun thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even if you drink the max # of drinks over a 12-14 hour day a person shouldn't be "hammered". You are talking a little over 1 drink an hour.

Now if your sitting at the same location for 3-4 hours and constantly have a drink in your hand it can be a different story.

Even if you drink the max # of drinks over a 12-14 hour day a person shouldn't be "hammered". You are talking a little over 1 drink an hour.

Now if your sitting at the same location for 3-4 hours and constantly have a drink in your hand it can be a different story.

At my weight and lack of drinking on a regular basis I would absolutely be hammered at 12-14. However, at 5 of the type of drinks I like a day spread over the entire day and night, no way. I might catch a slight buzz, and that's OK. Again, this is just to break even with strictly alcohol. Sodas, water, etc not even factored in yet. There's no way I would even attempt to get close to the 15 a day max because I know my tolerance.

Not everyone who buys Cheers wants it to get wasted and I don't understand why some think that. You don't even have to come close to hitting the 15 a day to make it worthwhile. It's not for everyone, but I still don't get why some think they have to drink like a fish to see the value. It's not just alcohol, it's practically every nonalcoholic drink on the ship as well.

Edited by firemanbobswife

At my weight and lack of drinking on a regular basis I would absolutely be hammered. However, at 5 of the type of drinks I like a day spread over the entire day and night, no way. I might catch a slight buzz, and that's OK. Again, this is just to break even with strictly alcohol. Sodas, water, etc not even factored in yet. There's no way I would even attempt to get close to the 15 a day max because I know my tolerance.

Not everyone who buys Cheers wants it to get wasted and I don't understand why some think that. You don't even have to come close to hitting the 15 a day to make it worthwhile. It's not for everyone, but I still don't get why some think they have to drink like a fish to see the value. It's not just alcohol, it's practically every nonalcoholic drink on the ship as well.

I agree...if someone gets "hammered" on 5-6 drinks over a whole day I would feel bad for them. They probably didn't eat anything or drink anything else all day.

What drinks do you buy on a cruise? It also includes bottles water etc.

Cheers not worth it for us but it is worth it for many people.

I was not aware bottled water was included great!! is this the large bottles are small ones... asking so In know in advanced for port excursions. Is there a limit on non-alcoholic items, meaning can I order two bottled watrs at a time? TIA!!!!

At my weight and lack of drinking on a regular basis I would absolutely be hammered at 12-14. However, at 5 of the type of drinks I like a day spread over the entire day and night, no way. I might catch a slight buzz, and that's OK. Again, this is just to break even with strictly alcohol. Sodas, water, etc not even factored in yet. There's no way I would even attempt to get close to the 15 a day max because I know my tolerance.

Exactly alcohol/drinks affect everyone differently. Yes there are some who "have" to drink the 15 limit. But as stated it does give piece of mind if you are actually watching what you spend.

And many people don't factor in the cost of the non-alcoholic drinks that you can get.

Personally I know the 8-10 a day are doable and I will not be hammered. I have eaten during the day , I've walked around, and certainly not planted my butt on a barstool for 3-4 hours with the intent to reach the 15 a day limit.

As stated to each their own if it works for me/you fine, if it doesn't that's all well and good also.

Wish people would just try not to overthink the Cheers program.

I calculated about the same if we were to get it. Just not worth it.

We wouldn't and couldn't drink that much (alcoholic or not) during a day. If someone else can, more power to them.

We'd have to pee like a racehorse if we had 15 drinks a day.

Plus consider any drinks you get while in port. Often times much cheaper.

That being said, I WISH there was a shareable couple's package that could be purchased.

Your breakeven point is not 15 drinks a day that is the max you can purchase. if your drinking mixed drinks the break even point is around 5 drinks a day

Your breakeven point is not 15 drinks a day that is the max you can purchase. if your drinking mixed drinks the break even point is around 5 drinks a day

So true many are fixated on the 15 instead of break even point. Which for mixed drinks , Martini's , and specialty is closer to your 5 number.

Over 5 of those and you are ahead of the Cheers cost.

So true many are fixated on the 15 instead of break even point. Which for mixed drinks , Martini's , and specialty is closer to your 5 number.

Over 5 of those and you are ahead of the Cheers cost.

In my case it would be higher for I mostly drink beer. Now on the "fun & sun" type cruises I have been seen sitting pool side drinking a fruity drink or two, but not often. I believe my breaking even point is around 9ish (not including coffee, bottled water, ect...). I believe on longer cruises it would be much harder to get your monies worth. For instance, my wife and I get the drink package every cruise, and yes we get our monies worth. However we need too give our livers a rest for a week when we get back...LoL. I could not see doing that for more days so I think we will decline Cheers if we book the 14 day Alaskan cruise aboard the Splendor in '18. What stinks about Cheers is that everyone in the cabin 21+ must get the package or no one gets it :mad:. This is were other cruise lines are in tune with their PAX because both spouses my not drink. People can say about the sharing and that is why, but other cruise lines have strict rules if you are caught sharing you lose your drink package (no refund) plus you have to pay for ALL the drinks you have gotten to date:eek:. In the end it is up to the persons getting Cheers to decide if it is worth it for him/her. The price list is posted on this thread so add it up and make an educated guess.

Those menus are about 3 years old. These are recent as of October.

85978c6a6e1290595e448833ce034ca4.jpg

fb2a34331800a152139438582a21dc9e.jpg

02123e06802eb390938f90b5289734cd.jpg

377f8ff941599c446b5577d4429c8e0e.jpg

682f3d38c6b0bfa2eccb7774d50da928.jpg

I just did a quick estimate on what I would drink for our upcoming six day cruise & it's just an estimate of $350.00 (does not include water to take off the ship on port days). And this is not including what else I might try. Also, I didn't figure what my husband might drink too. So its well worth it for us