Wine in carryon or bag left with porter?

NCHPcruiser

We usually don't bring wine🍷 aboard but on our cruise leaving Saturday we plan to take two special bottles. Should we pack it in the bag we carry onto the ship or in the larger luggage we leave with the porters? Or will it matter? I've read so many threads about people trying to sneak on more than the allowed two bottles that I don't want there to be a problem from the outset. (Of course it will be specially packed in our checked luggage on our flight tomorrow.)

Thanks!

Martha

We had just one bottle which was packed in our main suitcase and that suitcase ended up in the "naughty room". We had to go down and claim it ( along with about 100 others who were also in the naughty room!) so would suggest putting it in your carryon if at all possible.

We usually don't bring wine🍷 aboard but on our cruise leaving Saturday we plan to take two special bottles. Should we pack it in the bag we carry onto the ship or in the larger luggage we leave with the porters? Or will it matter? I've read so many threads about people trying to sneak on more than the allowed two bottles that I don't want there to be a problem from the outset. (Of course it will be specially packed in our checked luggage on our flight tomorrow.)

Thanks!

Martha

Gee, golly, I guess I like my wine too much, and yes I've been to the naughty room too... But with Celebrity's generous 2 bottles per cabin, I would keep it with me, especially if it's special :cool:

We have done both and never had an issue. As most pre cruise security checks for hand luggage are done by on shore security companies and any scanning of luggage is done on the ship by ships staff and the two don't converse with each other 2 bottles in hand luggage and two bottles in checked luggage .................................. It has become less of an issue for Celebrity these days about embarkation wine as over 86% of passengers have a drinks package of some sort anyway. The days of rum runners and filling wine bottles with spirits is a thing of the past.

If the wine is really special for a special occasion and it is packed well within your checked luggage I would leave it there. I think you are more likely to do damage to it in your hand luggage

We had just one bottle which was packed in our main suitcase and that suitcase ended up in the "naughty room". We had to go down and claim it ( along with about 100 others who were also in the naughty room!) so would suggest putting it in your carryon if at all possible.

So if you are allowed to bring on 2 bottles per cabin, why does having a bottle in your checked luggage cause them to hold your luggage so that you have to come retrieve it? :confused:

Thanks for the quick replies since we leave in the morning. I noted on our last cruise in October that port security (at least in several places) was separate from the ships. The port security didn't care what we carried on and then the ship simply scanned our sea pass. Had we wanted to, we could have easily carried wine or liquor back on board. Last January in Fort Lauderdale, my husband and I and another couple traveling with us somehow all got in separate security lines unintentionally. None of us were carrying alcohol. We could have all carried on two bottles each easily. In any case, we will pack the wine in a carry on upon embarkation. Thanks again!

"So if you are allowed to bring on 2 bottles per cabin, why does having a bottle in your checked luggage cause them to hold your luggage so that you have to come retrieve it? "

They might be trying to ascertain that it's wine, and not liquor, that is in the suitcase. Wine's allowed, liquor isn't.

I have never brought wine aboard so I don't know how this works. What prevents someone from carrying on two bottles of wine AND putting two bottles in their checked luggage? What system does Celebrity use to cross check both options? I'm NOT suggesting anyone do this, just wondering what the system is.

Look, we are not college kids trying to sneak wine or booze on board. Most of us on this forum are experienced cruisers and have the means to buy a bottle or two of wine on board.

Bragging about being successful in sneaking on extra wine? Juvenile!

I can definitely understand carrying on a couple bottles of a favorite wine for drinking in your cabin. Just put them in your carry on bag. Safer than in your checked bag where it may get broken.

To prevent my suitcase from getting held when we flew in day of I packed but took it out and carried it on. Easy way to do that was to pack it well but then put it in a tote bag ready to carry on the ship. It was easy to quickly open my suitcase, take it out and carry it on!

Look, we are not college kids trying to sneak wine or booze on board. Most of us on this forum are experienced cruisers and have the means to buy a bottle or two of wine on board.

Bragging about being successful in sneaking on extra wine? Juvenile!

I can definitely understand carrying on a couple bottles of a favorite wine for drinking in your cabin. Just put them in your carry on bag. Safer than in your checked bag where it may get broken.

absolutely agree

If you can not afford to have a good time and do it within the rules....then you can not afford to go on the cruise.

So if you are allowed to bring on 2 bottles per cabin, why does having a bottle in your checked luggage cause them to hold your luggage so that you have to come retrieve it? :confused:

As best as we could determine, it was to make sure it was wine and not any other liquor- we had to open the suitcase and show the sealed bottle to one of the staff in the naughty room and then we could take our suitcase.

Here's one for the books.....102 cruises and always pack liquor and wine in suitcase.

Last cruise got called to the NAUGHTY room for first time. Open the case and they where concerned about cheese knife wife packed. The irony was it was right next to wine and liquor and they never said a word.

Here's one for the books.....102 cruises and always pack liquor and wine in suitcase.

Last cruise got called to the NAUGHTY room for first time. Open the case and they where concerned about cheese knife wife packed. The irony was it was right next to wine and liquor and they never said a word.

If sailing from Florida I always pack my fishing tackle as I go fishing in the Keys / Glades pre or post cruise. In my tackle box I have both a bait knife and a pretty large filleting knife. I've done this with three separate cruise lines and NEVER once been called to the naughty room.

I don't know if they've ever been spotted or if they have they've simply thought it's ok it's part of his fishing stuff. If they want to hold onto them until after the cruise that's fine by me, I really don't care.

absolutely agree

If you can not afford to have a good time and do it within the rules....then you can not afford to go on the cruise.

Ridiculous.

So if anyone chose to sneak three bottles of Chateau Margaux 2009 on board to celebrate a special occasion they can't afford to go on a cruise? Really?

:D :D :D :D :D

We pack the wine in our carry on with some bubble wrap, spare clothes, hat, sunscreen and electronics. This way security can easily see it if they want. However, the main reason for us is that glass is fragile (shocking I know) and knowing my luck my checked luggage would be at the bottom of those HUGE luggage carts which could break a bottle and then I have wine soaked clothes.

Ridiculous.

So if anyone chose to sneak three bottles of Chateau Margaux 2009 on board to celebrate a special occasion they can't afford to go on a cruise? Really?

Yes really. You can purchase good wine on board. If you are unsatisfied with what they serve or can be purchased on board, then you can ask for an exception prior to the cruise. There is no reason to break the rules, unless you are trying to beat the system and save from buying on board.

Ridiculous.

Doesn't matter if you sneak 3 bottles of Chateau Margaux 2009 or 3 bottles of Two Buck Chuck - it still is breaking the rules. Are those the morals or values you taught to your children? I hope not. I think that is what was meant by saying you could not (morally) afford the cruise.