Increase Daily Auto Gratuity or Give Extra Cash?

2ferfun

On one of our first cruises we had an all-around fantastic service experience. Everyone, from our cabin steward to our waiters/bartenders to the service desk attendants all seemed to go out of their way to make our cruise a great experience. At the end of the cruise we gave some extra tips to the people that we interacted with directly but I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to increase the daily auto gratuity amount when you feel EVERYONE on the cruise has made it a good experience. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I don't think they can increase the gratuities on their end

I've been upgraded numerous times from a JS to a full suite.

Having already prepaid the gratuities for the JS I asked at guest services to increase the difference and they couldn't do it.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Forums mobile app

Every time that I know of someone receiving an upgrade to a GS or above, I hear about them receiving an invoice for the additional ($3 per person per day) gratuities.

The auto gratuities are pooled. Better to cancel them and give that amount directly to your room steward and waiters or keep them auto and augment them with cash. That way they get it all or at least most of it. I hate when cruise lines use gratuities to allow them to pay less wages to their staff. Those folks bust their butts - FYI - a room steward usually has 19 rooms each. Seriously! We are very generous with the Concierge and Diamond Lounge bartenders, (usually $5 each per night and if really good a nice envelope at the end - what's really good? Suppose a bottle of Belle Glos, Oberon, or Caymus shows up under the bar and they take care of you), as well as the waiters and stewards. We also take care of the Maitre'D. We always give them something up front and ask to be seated at a share table in My Time with "nice people". It always works. It's only money to us. To them it's their families livelihood.

Every time that I know of someone receiving an upgrade to a GS or above, I hear about them receiving an invoice for the additional ($3 per person per day) gratuities.

Hmm, last May we got upgraded from a JS to an OS and did not pay anymore for automatic gratuities! We did of course tip extra at the end but there was no invoice...

Teri

I don't think they can increase the gratuities on their end

I've been upgraded numerous times from a JS to a full suite.

Having already prepaid the gratuities for the JS I asked

We've never been billed for the difference. Our last upgrade (2014) came about 5 days before we left and RCI sent a new invoice that adjusted our cruise fare downward to compensate for the additional gratuities (we had prepaid them, required for MTD at the time). I hadn't seen that before. Another time I asked the Concierge and she said that "we" made an adjustment, but I don't know who "we" were (was?).

So the bottom line is that I don't think the stateroom attendant is penalized.:)

As for the original question, I don't know.

We have been upgraded once to a JS from a midships D1 balcony with no tip change but neither did I get the double C&A points.

If it was a free or reduced cost upgrade, then it's been their policy for quite some time to not give extra points.

It was free but it was at the back of the ship which I would not have booked.We only found out when we got our seapass card and our cases ended up in the cabin we origonally booked hours later.I know it did not quality for double points I only mentioned it on this thread when people were saying they had to pay more tips.Thank you

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app