Cozumel Car

I will be on Royal Caribbean and I would like to rent a car how would I go about it? What cruise port do I put in beside Cozumel?

Royal usually docks at the International Pier.

The last time that we were there we had not planned on getting a car until the morning that we were arriving. We walked off of the ship and were able to rent a jeep right at the end of the pier. We were fortunate that some were available. If you can reserve ahead of time it would provide some peace of mind. I can no longer remember the name of the company that we rented from.

It is a great way to get around Cozumel as the roads are very good and there is one major road that circles the island.

I have rented a car at least 7x over the last 4 years in Cozumel.

Absolutely no need to make reservations there are plenty and you can pick out which company gives the best deal.

When you get off the ship and go through the tourist area, there will be at least 3-5 vendors to negotiate with.

Just make sure the car is already in the parking lot ready to go.

Sometimes they have someone bring it from another location and you might stand around waiting a while for it to arrive.

Jeeps run about $85 per day, or you can get something small for around $55..

The road around the island is in decent shape, unless there's been recent storm damage. I believe some of the overlooks along the east side are still damaged from back in 2014/15. So be careful parking. The old road south that runs by the beach clubs can have potholes. but nothing you can't avoid. Taxis all drive fast. and scooters can go where ever they please, so watch out for them.

Be careful in town. Get a good map that shows the street directions. Lots of 1 way streets. And while the east west- streets (Calles) are number, odd south of Rosadas Salas: even north of Benito Juarez and the Plazas; streets running north-south (Avenidas) are numbered by 5s--Avenida 5, Avenida 10, Avenida 15, etc. Avenidas have the right of way so if you are driving on a Calle you have to stop at every intersection.Locals call the the speedup and Slam On Game. Benito Juarez and Rosadas Salas are considered Avenidas.

Just walk down the street. 20 guys will ask if you want to rent a jeep, or dune buggy, nor scooter. At least that was our experience while waiting to go on our non-Royal excursion.

I personally would not want to drive there.

They do have some pretty cool custom VW convertibles there though.

Thanks everyone for answering my question. Are the roads bad to drive on?

Matj200

The prices you gave me does that include insurance?

There is some minimum insurance you have to have which I factored in the stated price.

They do try to up-sell/scare you into purchasing more but we never get it because my wife says our own insurance would help.???

You do pay up-front and they copy your CC # for a deposit but once you return the car.

It seems a little shady at the time and my wife is always weary, however we have never had a problem being charged anything other than the negotiated price, ever.

Also those prices are approximate.

Does anybody remember the thread from several years ago that explained what happens in Mexico when there is an automobile accident? It might have been under another cruiseline. What I remember is that: settlements are required to be made on the spot, with cash; if you don't have immediate access to cash (I think it was $5,000 in the story) you will be jailed until you have the cash; and, meals are not provided in Mexican jails, so you need to have somebody miss the ship to stay with you and provide food. This is a quick summary of a very long thread written by a well-spoken man (I think he was a minister). I did no research to see if that is really what happens because I am not interested in driving in a foreign country, but it might be worth checking it out before renting a vehicle.

Does anybody remember the thread from several years ago that explained what happens in Mexico when there is an automobile accident? It might have been under another cruiseline. What I remember is that: settlements are required to be made on the spot, with cash; if you don't have immediate access to cash (I think it was $5,000 in the story) you will be jailed until you have the cash; and, meals are not provided in Mexican jails, so you need to have somebody miss the ship to stay with you and provide food. This is a quick summary of a very long thread written by a well-spoken man (I think he was a minister). I did no research to see if that is really what happens because I am not interested in driving in a foreign country, but it might be worth checking it out before renting a vehicle.

I do remember that. It seemed to be some sort of organized rip off where someone would purposely cause a minor fender bender with a cruise guest in a rental car. The cruise guest would be detained until they could come up with some cash. The threat was that they would be held and miss the ship. Haven't heard of this lately.

I rented a VW Dune buggy in cozumel last OCT. There were several kiosks right off of the pier near the security checkpoint area near the shops. Very easy to find. I think i used Budget Rental (i think) blue and yellow logo. The guy was nice but I rented for all day unlimited mileage and I told him I wanted full coverage insurance zero deductibles. It cost $120.00 He said bring it back with the gas you used. I told him I didnt want to have to worry about finding a gas station with honest people that didnt rip me off cause im a tourist. He added $10 to the rental and said not to worry about it. So 130.00 for the day and no worries. I'm glad I did it this way because theres no chance of missing the ship and there were limited gas stations most on the north side of the island and we went south.

I recall that too. It was out on the Coz board, I think. And the accident wasn't even the guy's fault. Car barely damaged if at all. but nevertheless, a big headache. And IIRC, the minister was detained and missed the ship or had to wait for US funds to be wired.

We used to drive down into Baja all the time and we always got Mexican insurance. While US auto insurance policies do often cover rentals in the US, you should check with your insurance agent to see if you are also covered in foreign countries. Biggest issue isn't car damage, it's liability.