Ripped jeans

alscottg1

The dress code states that "jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or speciality restaurants"

So, by the dress code, no they are not allowed. How that works in practice is another matter.

I have no idea about, or interest in, fashion, but it doesn't seem to me that this fad has passed. I see so many people with holes ripped in the knees of their jeans. Just seems bizarre to me. :)

Given that only 1 MDR and 1 specialty (Le bistro) require 'pants' I wouldn't see an issue with wearing ripped jeans to the other dining venues. Are they 'designer' ripped or worn in ripped. At the end of the day think it'll just come down to how sloppy they look.

That being said IMO they aren't a good look. I don't see the point of purchasing torn clothing...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ripped jeans are a huge trend....are they allowed in the dining room at night or specialty restaurants....obviously dressed up with nice top and shoes?

Unless you are a teen, don't wear ripped jeans. Also, you can't be "dressed up" with ripped jeans.

Signed, the fashion police.

Ripped jeans are a huge trend....are they allowed in the dining room at night or specialty restaurants....obviously dressed up with nice top and shoes?

That's dressed up nice if you are going out to a bar or club.

One specialty restaurant and one MDR would frown on ripped jeans in the evening. It would violate the wording of their dress code. However, anywhere else, help yourself. I've got two pairs of old Lee's Jeans I was about to toss because of holes worn in them. However, I'm going to pull them back out now for stylish wear!

Ripped jeans violate the wording of the dress code in all MDRs and speciality restaurants, not just Le Bistro and one MDR.

Whether they would enforce it or not is a different matter, but jeans that are "overly faded, with holes or tears" aren't allowed in any of the restaurants as per the dress code.

Unless you are a teen, don't wear ripped jeans.

As a nearly 50-year-old woman, there is only one thing I can wear, and that is WHATEVER THE **** I WANT.

No, I don't wear ripped jeans for other reasons, but don't be a tool by telling people what you believe is age appropriate.

Lol ripped jeans look great on my teen but then again she actually has a good sense of style and is such a good student that it doesn't detract from how her teachers treat her. I love seeing her dressed that way because at 16 she should wear the latest fad. And no she does not dress provocatively and is not wild or causing trouble because she wears ripped jeans occasionally. It's a cute style for her.

My college kid owns one pair of slightly ripped jeans and wears them only occasionally because first impressions matter as she meets new people every day....unlike the hs kid who still spends her days with the same people..and hs teachers know to just go along with the latest fads anyway.

My nurse kid wouldn't be caught in ripped jeans

My research fellow kid had a pair on recently but hmmm...at 27...eh not so great but of course it was a Saturday afternoon and she was just visiting for the weekend...I doubt she would wear them when she is presenting her work at a seminar or on campus

A mom picking up her kids recently at the high school had them on and looked totally ridiculous but I'm not sure if is was her age or size that caused her to look ridiculous but it should be noted that it's very rare to see the mothers of ripped jeans wearing kids actually wearing ripped jeans themselves.

Fwiw I really don't care what anyone wears anywhere on a ship....I'm just posting what I've seen and know to be true....in my little corner of the world

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a nearly 50-year-old woman, there is only one thing I can wear, and that is WHATEVER THE **** I WANT.

No, I don't wear ripped jeans for other reasons, but don't be a tool by telling people what you believe is age appropriate.

I didn't say anything much different than other people have. No need to get your spandex in a twist.

Edited by ColeThornton

In the UK people of all ages wear ripped jeans- well, maybe not of grandmother age but nobody would care if they did! It's certainly not unusual to see 30-somethings in them. Half the jeans in shops are ripped styles. However I probably wouldn't wear them in the MDR on a cruise ship because yeah they aren't that smart. I actually tore the knee of my non-torn dark jeans the other day so now I can't wear them in smarter places :(

Personally I don't get the fad at all but whatever, especially since I wore neon in the 80's :)

As KeithJ pointed out according to the "letter of the law" they shouldn't be allowed in the dining rooms, again though we know that isn't always enforced.

Given that NCL is so laid back, and that women generally get a pass on what they wear to any dining venue (vs men who have more strict rules to adhere to because their outfits are more easily defined), I can't see how anyone would stop you from wearing ripped jeans with a nice top and nice shoes. People wear WAY uglier, less refined looking outfits than that to dinner on all cruises. I think a lot of people who don't pay attention to fashion trends have a misconception of what exactly ripped jeans means. I wear them out to dinner with a cool top and heels, a great clutch and fabulous jewelry and I look totally appropriate for almost anywhere. They're not just for teens. Sorry but some people are chiming in with very outdated views on fashion. And no, the ripped jean trend is not "over". It's a fashion staple. I think it's probably men they don't want to see wearing torn up baggy old jeans or ones that drape below the buttocks, because that's just not cute. Women can pretty much do whatever they want.

People have different tastes in fashion just like they do for food, music, etc. To each their own, no one is right and no one is wrong...it's just opinion. NCL has provided a dress code and from reading over the years on this forum it is hit and miss whether or not the code will be enforced. Personally, I have definitely seen people turned away from venues by the staff.

Ripped are long out of style and NOT allowed in specialty dining venues

Unless you are a teen, don't wear ripped jeans. Also, you can't be "dressed up" with ripped jeans.

Signed, the fashion police.

Our school doesn't allow the teens to wear them. That said I plan on wearing nice black jeans with boots onto the ship. Dinner at Cagney's, should I plan on changing?

Ripped are long out of style and NOT allowed in specialty dining venues

I'm sorry but I cannot resist the urge to ask you.... Have you been shopping lately? Looked in a store, online, at celebrities, people in a major metropolitan city? Why would Nordstrom, for example, be selling ripped jeans from brands like Citizens of Humanity, AG, Seven for all Mankind, Topshop, J Brand, Good American, Hudson jeans, Madewell, etc right now for a lot of money? Just sayin.

The fad of ripped jeans has passed. Additionally, it is usually too hot to where jeans. With that being said, there are only two venues that require long pants and "gently ripped" should be OK.

The temp in the restaurants is the same as a restaurant in Alaska in February or Yuma in August

I didn't say anything much different than other people have. No need to get your spandex in a twist.

Sure you did. Go read. You are the only person who commented about what people should wear based on age. I guess you didn't follow my reply. My bad. I'll try to be more clear next time.