How many people prefer the Main Dining Room (MDR) over the buffet when boarding?

trbarton

Just curious as to whether people head straight to the buffet or prefer the quite of the main dinning room? My choice is the main dinning room. I'll have many time to visit the buffet.

Tom:confused:

I have never eaten in the MDR except for dinner. So, what's the dress code for breakfast & lunch in the MDR?

The same as any other dinning room venue. It's great to sit down & order off the menu & have the food served to you rather than busing your plate to your table. The MDR for Breakfast & Lunch is a nice place when you're not in rush to get somewhere & just want to have a relaxing meal.

I don't drink coffee but I think that it's freshly brewed.

Tom:)

I have never eaten in the MDR except for dinner. So, what's the dress code for breakfast & lunch in the MDR?

Casual- same dress as Horizon Court although they seem stricter about enforcing the bathing suit cover-up requirements. I've never seen anyone in a bathing suit or skimpy cover-up in the MDR for breakfast or lunch. Breakfast in the MDR on a sea day or late excursion day is a wonderful way to start the day. If we are on a cruise with lots of sea days we like having lunch in the MDR once or twice in addition to embarkation afternoon. Other favorites on embarkation afternoon are the International Cafe and, on the ships that have it, Alfredos.

Always the dining room, provided I've boarded in time. Not only do I like the quiet and unrushed experience, I love the first of many chances to share a table and chat with new people.

I have to admit that when I first looked at the title, I wondered what ship has a dining room on the deck above the Horizon Court? lol

We always choose the main dining room for lunch on the first day. Once they told us it wasn't open and directed us to the buffet. We searched and found the open dining room and had a wonderful lunch. There were only four tables filled. I guess a lot of people listened!

I heard no more MDR for lunch at embarkation except for Club Class & full Suite passengers

Where did you hear that? I would have thought if that was the case this board would be lit up like a Christmas tree!:D

I heard no more MDR for lunch at embarkation except for Club Class & full Suite passengers

Somebody got that very wrong and proceeded to share the misinformation. Whisper down the line. It seems most likely what happened is they tried to use the Club Class entrance and were turned away. They didn't know better than to try the regular entrance to the dining room.

To answer the question, main dining room, or if for some weird reason we are aboard too late, Alfredo's or a slice or two of pizza up on Lido.

We prefer anywhere ,but the buffet on embarkation day. But having said that ,the dining room if open for embarkation lunch has had very limited choices and we walk away hungry. So if the ship has an Alfredos , we much prefer that . We sometimes even prefer international café , anything but the buffet just too crowded and one of us has to stay at the table while the other one goes in search for food and then we end up not enjoying lunch together. Julie

Not true. There were Princess corporate Xmas parties on the Ruby in Dec and the DR was closed to passengers.

This led to a thread on CC that embarkation lunch was no more. Many have verified since then that it's still open for lunch on several ships.

We usually get on board early and before the crowds. The buffet is rarely crowded and we have no problem getting a nice salad and soup. We then have more time to rest in our cabin or unpack before Muster and sail away. We tried the dining room a couple of times and just didn't find anything all that interesting on the menu and it takes too much of our time. If there is an Alfredos then that will be our first choice.