What will be the Broadway show on Symphony??

• 5 months later...

I agree Phantom would be great and I did see the performance this year and the stage has been scaled down so I think it would fit.

I imagine with the name Symphony and it being new they will do their best to get the best they can.

Really doubt they would repeat anything already done on the other Oasis Class ships.

We shouldn't have to long to wait since it comes out in early 2018.-

Les Miz would be great, but I can't see how they would do the turntable or the barricade.

Miss Saigon, would be more manageable.

Has anyone see Phantom in Vegas, would imagine if they did it there, it might be doable on a cruise ship.

Hope it is something good.

JC

just getting off the Oasis for 3rd time and LOVED CATS !! favorite show on the ship... hard to follow if you don't know a little about the story beforehand (its not just a bunch of cats dancing around) we actually talked with a couple next to us in the theater before the show started and gave them a plot summary and they were thrilled we did !! They LOVED it too!! Long ,yes ,but singing was spectacular !!

Les Miz would be great, but I can't see how they would do the turntable or the barricade.

Miss Saigon, would be more manageable.

Has anyone see Phantom in Vegas, would imagine if they did it there, it might be doable on a cruise ship.

Hope it is something good.

JC

My fiancee was actually in the production of Phantom in Las Vegas, and that production wouldn't translate to a cruise ship. The script totally could, but the added tech elements (fireworks on stage, a cage springing from the ground, a chandelier that forms in mid-air) would be incredibly difficult to put on a ship. If they do it, it would most likely be the currently running US tour that's got a totally new set design and direction that makes it easier to put into smaller venues.

The last Broadway production of Les Mis didn't actually have a turntable. The barricade was rolled on stage, half from each side, and then pushed toward the audience. It actually felt incredibly imposing when matched with the staging and lighting design. It would be very doable on a cruise ship, if they think audiences want to sit through a 2 hour and 45 minute show.

I think they're both possible, but because Phantom in Vegas was cut down to 90 minutes, and that's pretty perfect for a cruise, I think that might be more likely. That said, Cameron Mackintosh (head producer for both) is only going to approve it if he thinks it will make him a good amount of money.

I think Jekyll and Hyde would be a great show but like Miss Saigon, it has a depressing ending. Not sure if Royal Caribbean wants to leave their guests in a depressing mood after the show Lol. Hairspray and Mama Mia in my opinion are two great shows with catchy songs. Cats was not a good cruise ship show . Most people left during intermission.

Kinky Boots is my other choice. It is such a fun show. Very entertaining.

I'm making a prediction that it will be On Your Feet, the story of Gloria and Emilio Estevan. It just closed on Broadway this month, it appeals to a Miami vibe and its mostly family friendly. I say it on Broadway in April and absolutely LOVED it!

I'm making a prediction that it will be On Your Feet, the story of Gloria and Emilio Estevan. It just closed on Broadway this month, it appeals to a Miami vibe and its mostly family friendly. I say it on Broadway in April and absolutely LOVED it!
crystalball.jpg

On Your Feet

FYI, Jersey Boys will be back on Broadway in November!

Also, it was very surprising that On Your Feet closed. That was a fabulous show. About half the people we know that saw both liked it even more than Jersey Boys (wife and I actually split on that vote).

Beautiful (the Carole King story) is also excellent. Now closed, but Million Dollar Quartet (about Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins was also a great show.

FYI, Jersey Boys will be back on Broadway in November!

Also, it was very surprising that On Your Feet closed. That was a fabulous show. About half the people we know that saw both liked it even more than Jersey Boys (wife and I actually split on that vote).

Beautiful (the Carole King story) is also excellent.

It'll actually be off-Broadway, but yeah, back in NYC!

It'll actually be off-Broadway, but yeah, back in NYC!

Learned something interesting a while back---On or off Broadway shows have nothing to do with the location in NYC. It is determined strictly by the number of seats in the theater. We attended a show on 42nd St and Broadway that was an Off Broadway show.

http://www.playbill.com/article/how-to-tell-broadway-from-off-broadway-from-com-110450

Learned something interesting a while back---On or off Broadway shows have nothing to do with the location in NYC. It is determined strictly by the number of seats in the theater. We attended a show on 42nd St and Broadway that was an Off Broadway show.

http://www.playbill.com/article/how-to-tell-broadway-from-off-broadway-from-com-110450

Yes. But Jersey Boys *is* going Off-Broadway as it will be at New World Stages, which is a complex of Off-Broadway theatres.

Yes. But Jersey Boys *is* going Off-Broadway as it will be at New World Stages, which is a complex of Off-Broadway theatres.

Very true. 5 theaters if I remember correctly. They have had some excellent shows going back many years, some of which went on to move into bigger theaters.

Jersey Boys will be on Norwegian Bliss, so doubt Symphony will get it. Million Dollar Quartet is also on NCL. MDQ was on of the best shows I've seen, just loved it.

The people they got to play Jerry Lee Lewis in New York and even in local productions were unbelievably AMAZING. Truly not to be missed.

For anyone near the Jersey shore, it's playing at the Surflight theater on Long Beach Island through Sept 10. That local theater uses many college students along with some seasoned actors and they do a great job. Hairspray just finished there and it was wonderful.