Maasdam - should we change cabins or cruise?

sandiego1

Just booked a 28 day cruise on the Maasdam and having second thoughts. We want to try a long cruise and since it leaves from San Diego (where we live), it seemed ideal. Then I started reading about the age of the ship and now I have concerns.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the age of the ship and maintenance issues. Should we switch to a different cruise?

I was surprised to read that there is no refrig in the room. We like to keep some juice and other beverages. It is possible to get one in an oceanview cabin (do they rent them)?

And only 1 outlet??? How is that even manageable w/ today's need to plug in tons of electronics?? Even w/ a power strip, is it too much of a hassle?

Lastly, if we do decide to continue w/ the cruise, pls help me pick an oceanview cabin. Should we pick a D on A Deck, or DA or the Main deck? We are looking for the quietest possible cabin. Main deck is directly under Promenade so concerned about early morning people dragging the deck chairs around. On the other hand, A Deck has a crew deck below it so don't know where are the noisy areas.

I'd appreciate any advice!!

When booking an oceanview stateroom, I routinely book a stateroom on the lowest passenger deck. I have sailed on the Maasdam and had either an E or D stateroom near the forward stairwell/elevators on A Deck. I heard no noise from the deck below and was pleased with the stateroom and its location. On the Amsterdam, I was assigned a DA on the deck above the lowest deck and below the Lower Promenade Deck. I often heard footsteps on the deck above me. I was aboard for 17 days on that cruise and the noise was tolerable. On a longer cruise, I would not have enjoyed such, I don't think.

Just booked a 28 day cruise on the Maasdam and having second thoughts. We want to try a long cruise and since it leaves from San Diego (where we live), it seemed ideal. Then I started reading about the age of the ship and now I have concerns.

disclaimer: We were on the Zaandam, a different class but very similar ship in December 2016.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the age of the ship and maintenance issues.

HAL is very good at ship maintenance. For those who complain I would comment that as ships age there are issues that arise. If you want the latest and greatest then book a new ship. For us, ship age is not an issue because we know that HAL offers a quality product that we enjoy. Every ship that has been in service for 5 years or more will have a few frayed edges here and there. Rust spots and multiple coats of paint will be common. Watch out, the varnish on that handrail is wet....applied an hour ago!
Should we switch to a different cruise?

I was surprised to read that there is no refrig in the room. We like to keep some juice and other beverages.

As noted they do rent them, we didn't. We had our steward fill as many containers as we could find with ice, sometimes twice a day. Newer ships have fridges, older ships not so much.

And only 1 outlet??? How is that even manageable w/ today's need to plug in tons of electronics?? Even w/ a power strip, is it too much of a hassle?

Again, ships built several years ago have limited provisions. Non-surge suppressor power strips are common for those who sail with HAL. Adding power outlets on an older vessel is difficult to impossible.

Lastly, if we do decide to continue w/ the cruise, pls help me pick an oceanview cabin. Should we pick a D on A Deck, or DA or the Main deck? We are looking for the quietest possible cabin. Main deck is directly under Promenade so concerned about early morning people dragging the deck chairs around. On the other hand, A Deck has a crew deck below it so don't know where are the noisy areas.

Early morning people walk and run. They don't drag deck chairs around. You cannot hear them running in the cabins below. IMO, deck 5 amidships is the perfect location (or as close to that as you can get).

TRUST ME......You will LOVE the Maasdam. I too am from San Diego and we are booked on her for the 33 day cruise to the Hawaiian Islands and South Pacific leaving in less than two weeks rt from San Diego.

We were on the Maasdam this past May/June for two weeks for HAL's 14 day Alaska cruise.

We loved the employees and still in contact via email with a few of them, food was great, entertainment nice, room was quiet and getting the exact same room coming up...Oceanview C613...There was nothing not to like. It IS a smaller ship, but that is one of the reasons we like her.

You can rent, and order ahead of time, a small frig for $2 day or since you are coming from San Diego bring a nice ice chest with sodas and water....we are! Be sure to get a cooler with hard sides so it doesn't sweat or make a mess in the room.

As far as the outlet....MOST ships only have one or two. We bring an extra 3 outlet with us and a phone adapter. No problems as you are on vacation!

Hopes this helps and REALLY, from one San Diegian to another....you SHOULD love her. Go and have an awesome time.

Also love the Maasdam and agree with the recommendation for the D cabin on the lower deck.

Remember that people will complain about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING long before they say anything good.

Example: 1 person complained about frayed carpet edge (bet she asked for a refund due to 'safety concerns') on the stairs of a ship and another frequent poster was on that ship the following week and went searching - she found the frayed carpet edge on the stairs the crew uses to get to the A deck, which is below any passenger deck.

Yes the Maasdam is older and has a few 'hiccups' here and there but she is very refined with old world elegance and an awesome crew so enjoy your cruise!

<snipped>

<snipped>

I'd appreciate any advice!!

Each cabin actually has 3 outlets. In the bathroom there is a combination 110-220v outlet that is powered only when the lights are on. The desk located outlet has a 110v and a 220v outlet. We always bring an inexpensive adapter that allows us to use the 220v outlet along with the 110v outlet. All of our chargers and other small devices use either 110v or 220v power and will automatically switch between the two. We also bring a short extension cord (no circuit breaker) which has multiple outlets on the end. In the end we have no shortage of charging or operational capability. If you use the 220v side with an adapter fitted to an extension cord, be sure that your charging cube or device will run on 220v.

HTH,

Tim

We love the Maasdam, with all her alleged quirks compared to the more modern cruise ships. She is a classic lady. Sail her while you can. It is a passing of an era when she is finally gone. Small is good. Plus she has itineraries that are unique because of her size.

In all the time we've cruised I don't ever remember on any ship having more than one outlet in the cabin with the one in the bathroom only being for an electric razor. Maybe suites have more than one outlet - can't say since we book regular balconies.

We like to pretty much unplug on cruises with only our camera needing to recharge or our cell phones after a port stop. We allow them to charge while we're out of the cabin or overnight.

We've been in oceanview cabins on A deck many times, and never heard noise from the crew cabins below. If you decide to book, start a thread asking Copper10 8 for a recommendation of any area you might want to avoid. He seems to know loads about HAL ships, I think he works for HAL.

Hello San Diego!!!

You guys know I am a local from Leucadia!!!

San Diego is home and with too many HAL cruises under our belt!!!

We are booked on her on 2/25/18 !!!

Enjoy her!!! Maasdam is a wonderful ship!

One of the old lady's still refined!!!

We will be in a Neptune suite and will be the first since on the smallest ship! Our very first HAL cruise on The Ryndam back to 2007!!!!

Denise:)

We really like the rooms on the lower promenade deck as you can get outside without using stairs or the lifts. We are booked in one of those outsides on Veendam next month, and had such a room on Zaandam for Antarctica.

Honestly, I've never noticed any 'noise' except when crew were sanding handrails for repainting right outside the room (middle of the day of course).

Also, agree with previous reply, we use the 220 outlet with an adapter. Every electronic that needs charging (that we own at least) charges from 110 or 220.

When booking an oceanview stateroom, I routinely book a stateroom on the lowest passenger deck. I have sailed on the Maasdam and had either an E or D stateroom near the forward stairwell/elevators on A Deck. I heard no noise from the deck below and was pleased with the stateroom and its location. On the Amsterdam, I was assigned a DA on the deck above the lowest deck and below the Lower Promenade Deck. I often heard footsteps on the deck above me. I was aboard for 17 days on that cruise and the noise was tolerable. On a longer cruise, I would not have enjoyed such, I don't think.

I you decide you wish to rent a 'cooler' I suggsst you do so beforre boarding as fd there is a limited supply available for rental.

In all the time we've cruised I don't ever remember on any ship having more than one outlet in the cabin with the one in the bathroom only being for an electric razor. Maybe suites have more than one outlet - can't say since we book regular balconies
All cabins on the oldest S and R class ships have at least one combination 110v/220v outlet. If you have an adapter for the European round 2-pin outlet and a device that will accept 220v you have 2 outlets to use. This pic is from an OV on the Veendam.

vgpl6r.jpg

Each cabin actually has 3 outlets. In the bathroom there is a combination 110-220v outlet that is powered only when the lights are on. The desk located outlet has a 110v and a 220v outlet. We always bring an inexpensive adapter that allows us to use the 220v outlet along with the 110v outlet. All of our chargers and other small devices use either 110v or 220v power and will automatically switch between the two. We also bring a short extension cord (no circuit breaker) which has multiple outlets on the end. In the end we have no shortage of charging or operational capability. If you use the 220v side with an adapter fitted to an extension cord, be sure that your charging cube or device will run on 220v.

HTH,

Tim

Am I missing the third outlet? And isn't the bathroom only for electric shavers?

We sailed for 39 days on Maasdam, recently. Love the ship! I don't know if it was boarding in Sydney, Australia, or if it happens anywhere now, but if you brought your own powerstrip, it was confiscated and returned on the last day of the cruise. We got one from the front desk to use in our cabin.

Loved Maasdam! We were in an E cabin in the bow on Main Deck; I never heard noise from above from chairs or walkers. We're actually booked in the same cabin on Veendam in May and again on Maasdam next year. As for the power outlet situation, we had two cameras, one cell phone, a tablet, and a laptop to keep charged and we never suffered for having only one outlet. I had a non-breaker power strip and don't think I used it more than twice on a two-week cruise. If you want a fridge, definitely request it before your cruise. My mother tried to get one after we got on board to store insulin and there were none left (and a bunch of other people in line at the front desk with the same request).

The outlet in the bathroom is labeled for electric shavers. But it is still an outlet.

And isn't the bathroom only for electric shavers?
Any low-current device is OK, such as electric toothbrushes, phone chargers, etc.

Thanks for all the info! We will likely proceed w/ our booking.

I'd appreciate advice on a OV cabin. What is best cabin for a very quiet location? Should we do A deck or Main deck?

Edited by sandiego1

Thanks for all the info! We will likely proceed w/ our booking.

I'd appreciate advice on a OV cabin. What is best cabin for a very quiet location? Should we do A deck or Main deck?

By anecdote only, I always thought cabins closest to the medical dispensary would be the best choice I assumed this ship's facility had the greatest need for both stability and peace. That would make it Deck Four (A) - forward on the Maasdam..