>>Celebrity Edge<< - Exterior Views

eroller

The inverted bow seems to be catching on. Even the US Navy has it on the new Stealth destroyer USS Zumwalt. It's supposed to really help out with ship movement. I've read it reduces movement by about 20%. Also it does not generate the spray that a conventional bow creates. So in rough seas you may not see the spray coming up nearly as high on the ship. I would guess it helps the fuel efficiency too. So overall it's butt-ugly but if the ship moves less that's a win in my book!

.....don't know why anyone would copy that hideous AIDA thing. Looks like it hit a bridge or something! Unless it gets them some insane efficiency I'd pass!

The most current design thinking is this type of bow is better at moving through the water than the tapered bow, resulting in less effort to cut through waves and lessening fuel consumption. It is more efficient while underway at normal speeds, but does hinder slow speed maneuvering a bit. More and more ships are starting to use this blunt design because of the increased fuel efficiency.

I wonder if there will be any kind of divider that opens between the infinity veranda balconies.

I mentioned that on another Edge thread yesterday, as well as wondering how the connecting staterooms 'connect'. With the new setup of infinite balconies, it would suggest that the balconies can't be opened to make a larger area, so where are the connecting doors positioned in the cabin?

I mentioned that on another Edge thread yesterday, as well as wondering how the connecting staterooms 'connect'. With the new setup of infinite balconies, it would suggest that the balconies can't be opened to make a larger area, so where are the connecting doors positioned in the cabin?

On the current S class ships the interconnecting cabins don't rely on the verandah connector, rather there is a small entry foyer where a main double outer door can be closed to become the single entry point into two verandah cabins.

I'd imagine they would adopt similar for EDGE as it doesn't otherwise interrupt the cabin layout by needing a door along the wall between them.

Main outer doors open (not in use)

9680d2d0052c3ac3559d917f5234f91b.jpg

Main outer door closed.

abb87af2f37f6dc148094de34e5ecb99.jpg

On the current S class ships the interconnecting cabins don't rely on the verandah connector, rather there is a small entry foyer where a main double outer door can be closed to become the single entry point into two verandah cabins.

I'd imagine they would adopt similar for EDGE as it doesn't otherwise interrupt the cabin layout by needing a door along the wall between them.

Main outer doors open (not in use)

9680d2d0052c3ac3559d917f5234f91b.jpg

Main outer door closed.

abb87af2f37f6dc148094de34e5ecb99.jpg

Not on Reflection, the newest of the S class ships, which is why I wondered what they had planned for E class? Additionally the infinite balconies, being one complete unit (basically an OV with a movable window), will they be able to be opened and linked to create a larger area like the S class? So many questions to be answered for the new class.

Hmmm... Why not put the X logo on the side of the funnel as well. It seems perfectly suited for it:

edgeX.jpg

They're probably removing the Chandris X from new Celebrity ships because their 10 year contract from the purchase in 2006 expired last year. I suggest that Celebrity wants to shift into it's own brand which will, I believe, evenutally phase out the X entirely.

Not on Reflection, the newest of the S class ships, which is why I wondered what they had planned for E class? Additionally the infinite balconies, being one complete unit (basically an OV with a movable window), will they be able to be opened and linked to create a larger area like the S class? So many questions to be answered for the new class.

I'm sure these and many other questions will find their answers in due time - after all it's not quite 24 hours since the release ans we have not yet seen fully detailed deck plans. Some questions I expect may not be answered until some cruise critics first cruise on her!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's s good clear render of her, including the 'flat' bow.

I like the way it looks.

Then again, I also like the Aida Prima. Have seen her in Le Havre last year and found it to be a really good looking ship (even more so in person than on picture)...except for the over-the-top lights.

Especially fascinating is the Spray bar (champagne bar) in the bow.

To each their own I guess :cool:

Here's s good clear render of her, including the 'flat' bow. 44fd47810e128410ece14c8ca14adad7.jpg

Thanks for posting this rendering QE2. This is the first time I see a real image of what the overall ship look like.

It's pretty nice. But I would not want to book a room anywhere near that magic carpet.... The privacy of those rooms is clearly affected by the close passage of the carpet.

Regarding her external appearance...

-Original and cleaver funnel design

-Glass balcony design creates a smooth exterior appearance

-The bow looks modern or even futuristic

Dislike:

-The orange Magic Carpet and lift tracks. It reminds me of the original M-class livery with blue/white/red/yellow. It gave the ships a cartoony look rather than a mature and elegant feel appropriate for a premium brand like Celebrity. Eventually they came to their sense and repainted the M-class ships blue and white. I hope they do the same with Edge. The Flying Carpet is already visually disrupting to the sleekness of the ship's design. Why make it even more gaudy with the bright orange paint?

So that is her exterior......ugly in my opinion. Interior is stunning from what I have seen so far. Having the magic carpet only on one side makes the ship seem so uneven ...like a building with a window washing scaffold permanently hanging for all to see. It's funny, I was watching the announcement on my iPad at 12 noon when the phone rang.....it was Celebrity cruise line asking me if I wanted to book. I had no intention ...but asked if there were solo cabins. I was told there were solo balconies...caught up in the moment I said book me. They said congratulations, you are the first to book. So having sailed Solstice on her maiden voyage I now get to sail Edge $$$$$$$!!!

I am surprised Celebrity is not selling her crossing like other lines....unless they make that available based on the completion date. So now I get to sail two new ships in 2018, NCL Bliss and then the Edge. Being a ship Beyotch is so unhealthy to ones finances, but what fun!!!

Ernie keep the info coming, I need yet another fix! Especially the room on the stern deck 6 just down from my cabin.......pray it is a sexy piano bar for socializing way into the wee hours🤓

I think it's a great looking ship. Even the small sailboat builders are leaning toward that hull design. If they can get people onboard the NCL Epic, clearly people aren't TOO concerned with the exterior appearance!

It also looks like they are borrowing that aft glass design from the Mein Schiff ships.

I was telling myself I wouldn't book anything yet but I'm really tempted. I like what I'm seeing a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's pretty nice. But I would not want to book a room anywhere near that magic carpet.... The privacy of those rooms is clearly affected by the close passage of the carpet.

I think privacy should be OK. Passengers are not allowed on the magic carpet when it is moving. At most you will see a crew member passing by your cabin.

If they can get people onboard the NCL Epic, clearly people aren't TOO concerned with the exterior appearance!

You know, there are people who like the look of the NCL Epic. ;p

She has a specific character that makes her unique and interesting...

I think privacy should be OK. Passengers are not allowed on the magic carpet when it is moving. At most you will see a crew member passing by your cabin.

I agree and also keep in mind it's not going to be moving all the time like an elevator. Maybe once or twice a day, so it might interrupt your balcony view for a minute or two each day max.

Here's s good clear render of her, including the 'flat' bow.

Thank you so much for the complete exterior rendering! It's awesome.

So no "hull art" on the bow and no lounge/bar visible in the bow yet, but could still become a reality during a future reveal.

I like what I see, and I think the ship will look quite unique with that all glass side. Quite different from what we are used to seeing with a slab of balconies sticking out.

I'm actually a big fan of straight bow stems, even from a purely aesthetic standpoint. But as has been mentioned, there has been a lot of new data to show that this hullform has benefits at certain speeds.

Edge seems to be drawing on the hullform used for the AIDAprima. They're both the exact same dimensions, which definitely indicates that they duplicated the hull. (984 ft long, 123 ft beam). (http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14041761_CEL_Edge_FAQ.pdf)

In all honestly, I'm not sure how this specific hullform would have gone between shipyards and different owners but there are heavy indicators that it has been duplicated.

However, I imagine we can probably look more towards Mein Schiff 5 and the Solstice Class for indicators of the vessel arrangement since they're definitely going to try and continue GA trends that X already knows work. Since the current TUI newbuilds and X newbuilds all relate back to the Century-class, I imagine we'll keep seeing some type of shared DNA.

One helpful detail is that we know where the funnel is located and can therefore trace the likely path of ductwork and ventilation down through the ship. You can also use the known location of passenger elevators and stairs to draw logical conclusions about the location of crew elevators and stairs. Once you can approximate the location of those, you can figure out where the leftover space is for public rooms.

By looking at the exterior, you can tell where some of the main fire bulkheads are located (the space between balconies is a bit thicker). This will dictate a division between fire zones and therefore a division between public rooms. Also looking at the window arrangement on the hull.

Also, note that in the exterior rendering above, the funnel is not blue. So this rendering could be an older iteration and we might still get a slightly different final product, at least in terms of hull art.

Edited by marinearchit

I am very impressed with the Edge, especially the infinite verandas. I think it is a great idea and am looking forward to cruising on her. I think the Magic Carpet is a great idea too. It should make tendering much easier; plus it will reduce set up and tear down time at tendering ports. Since it will be on the promenade deck while at sea, it should be make for an interesting viewing area. It is a shame we have to wait 21 months to be able to cruise on her. She should be an awesome experience.

I'm actually a big fan of straight bow stems, even from a purely aesthetic standpoint. But as has been mentioned, there has been a lot of new data to show that this hullform has benefits at certain speeds.

Edge seems to be drawing on the hullform used for the AIDAprima. They're both the exact same dimensions, which definitely indicates that they duplicated the hull. (984 ft long, 123 ft beam). (http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14041761_CEL_Edge_FAQ.pdf)

In all honestly, I'm not sure how this specific hullform would have gone between shipyards and different owners but there are heavy indicators that it has been duplicated.

However, I imagine we can probably look more towards Mein Schiff 5 and the Solstice Class for indicators of the vessel arrangement since they're definitely going to try and continue GA trends that X already knows work. Since the current TUI newbuilds and X newbuilds all relate back to the Century-class, I imagine we'll keep seeing some type of shared DNA.

One helpful detail is that we know where the funnel is located and can therefore trace the likely path of ductwork and ventilation down through the ship. You can also use the known location of passenger elevators and stairs to draw logical conclusions about the location of crew elevators and stairs. Once you can approximate the location of those, you can figure out where the leftover space is for public rooms.

By looking at the exterior, you can tell where some of the main fire bulkheads are located (the space between balconies is a bit thicker). This will dictate a division between fire zones and therefore a division between public rooms. Also looking at the window arrangement on the hull.

Also, note that in the exterior rendering above, the funnel is not blue. So this rendering could be an older iteration and we might still get a slightly different final product, at least in terms of hull art.

Great observations, especially about the funnel color. I do think we will see changes before the final product, and this exterior view could be an early rendering. At least it gives us something.

I don't think the EDGE bow and hull design is an exact copy of AIDA PRIMA. Both ships would have to had been in development at the same time, and I'm sure both designs were kept under wraps. Also the dimensions of EDGE have been revised, so she is not the same size as AIDA PRIMA.

33396705166_834dba3a83_b.jpg

I just hope and pray that as she is being built at STX France that some of us here in the UK get to see her before she sails across the pond. I read somewhere that someone had seen that she had a date in Southampton which then disappeared. I like the blue hull as that's very reminiscent of the Celebrity Galaxy et all and of course of Azamara owned by the same parent company. I don't dislike the bow as such, it just looks different!