Edge - Magic Carpet

Wayneair

Having watched the Celebrity video my friend sent me by email, I think the feature will be a great hit.

It does look like you are surrounded by water or landscape on all three sides. But if you are docked say at a big industrial port, it would be used as what?

I could see being there for sunsets or sailaways or during the evening, but you would need calm seas?

I've never liked an unbalanced look.

Oasis class has a similar floating restaurant on the interior.

I think it is a suite class perk to get pax from the top to tender boats without the hassle of elevators.

EDGE_zpsskiblhhz.jpg

This is not the case here. First it doesn't stop at every deck, and there are suites on several decks. Also, it is stated on the website that passengers will not be allowed on it when it is in motion.

Having watched the Celebrity video my friend sent me by email, I think the feature will be a great hit.

It does look like you are surrounded by water or landscape on all three sides. But if you are docked say at a big industrial port, it would be used as what?

I could see being there for sunsets or sailaways or during the evening, but you would need calm seas?

when it isn't being used for boardingtenders on the lower deck, then it is parked at one of two upper decks. I don't think it matters how calm the sea is. Although for safety, perhaps if the weather is really really stormy, they may close it.

First, let me open with this...Xcellent job Celebrity with the new design. Once again you have out done your competitors serving the premium market. You continue to re-define the term modern luXury. The idea of the "Magic Carpet" is cutting edge and innovative...LOVE IT. My problem is the name. The name sounds like a cheap Vegas show lounge, or a rug cleaner. It's the complete opposite of your brand. Before you get deeper into this, please please consider a name change. Just thinking quickly how about (in no particular order)

1. Ocean's Edge

2. Edge

3. Edge of the Earth

4. Horizon (a tribute to one of your former vessels)

5. The Infinity Deck

Give me a few cocktails and I can get some more. In short, it needs a name that exemplifies your brand. Magic Carpet...cheesy.

Again, great job to your entire design crew.

A more likely name is "Unavailable - Out of Service". Going to be interesting to see how the mechanics hold up over time and how often it is out of service. The surface area can result in substantial forces being applied in adverse weather conditions. Will be interesting to see how the design holds up.

I think it is a suite class perk to get pax from the top to tender boats without the hassle of elevators.

This is not the case here. First it doesn't stop at every deck, and there are suites on several decks. Also, it is stated on the website that passengers will not be allowed on it when it is in motion.

Fairly certain that was said in jest....

A more likely name is "Unavailable - Out of Service". Going to be interesting to see how the mechanics hold up over time and how often it is out of service. The surface area can result in substantial forces being applied in adverse weather conditions. Will be interesting to see how the design holds up.

Yup, first thing I thought when I saw it. As a mechanical engineer that actually designs stuff for ships that thing would give me nightmares. I'm sure that there are a lot of smart guys working on it. But then again there are a lot of smart guys working on the new electromagnetic plane launcher for carriers, and that's not working all that well. I like most of what I see, I'm a little worried about deck space around the pool. It seems very light on lounge chairs and hopefully there is more hot tubs that that one stuck up on a pedestal (Should have made it a martini glass:rolleyes:).

:D :D :D :D :D

Arno hasn't had sense of humour bypass surgery!!! ;)

But thanks, your post make me laugh! Priceless..

He

was

joking.

TO me it's a double edged sword. It isn't attractive. But try and stop looking inwards at it and imagine yourself sat in it looking out over the sea whilst enjoying dinner. I think that could be quite pleasant.

I would be concerned about the lack of privacy, but I imagine it will only move during the times that people are likely to be out and about.

I do wonder how noisy it will be, especially when they lower it in the morning to load the tenders. I also think the new tenders themselves sound great.

And I wonder how durable the mechanics are going to be. Still, the props, azipods, and stablizers hold up under much more rigorous conditions.

I also think the new tenders themselves sound great.

Yep, this is one area where Celebrity could improve. I hope they're considerably faster then the existing boats. During a three night stay in Bali passengers had to endure a lengthy tender to the port if they were on an X lifeboat / tender. However the cruise line also used local boats and if you were lucky enough to get on one of those you'd be there 10 to 15 minutes faster.

What I think everyone needs to remember is that what was introduced were concepts. For example: the drawing shows a piano on the pool deck, which anyone knows would never happen. The MC may stay in its current iteration, but more likely it will be modified in some way (only go from Deck 5 (where the Promenade is) to Deck 2); maybe it won't be so wide and only be a bar, not a restaurant as well. Designers come up with lots of fancy bells and whistles to generate excitement (and BOOKINGS!) but then the engineers get hold of the plans and bring things back to earth.

Another example - the mirrored wall by the pool. Who wants to be sitting in the Caribbean sun under mirrors? No thanks, no melanoma for me today....

It looks like an ongoing construction project to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too!

I don't care for the name either. And the whole thing seems too gimmicky. I look at that and think "maintenance nightmare." They seem to be on an up-and-down kick with their innovative new designs. (Rising Tide bar on Oasis class, etc.) Why not just build a ship with more ocean views without all the "stuff."

And not to completely go off track, but I have a question about the new french door balconies. When you open those doors, are you letting in the ocean air? I know people like to prop open their balcony doors, but isn't that a no-no because of the air conditioning system? I actually like the idea of these, but curious how that will work out.

....., I'm a little worried about deck space around the pool. It seems very light on lounge chairs and hopefully there is more hot tubs that that one stuck up on a pedestal .......

I suspect the minimal number of loungers on the pool deck is a PR thing to make the area look much larger than it really will be. On the first day the area will be crammed with loungers placed within inches of each other like on other ships.

And, there are two pedestal hot tubs on the pool deck, and another "normal" one in the solarium.

pool-deck-day-1920x1080.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

And not to completely go off track, but I have a question about the new french door balconies. When you open those doors, are you letting in the ocean air? I know people like to prop open their balcony doors, but isn't that a no-no because of the air conditioning system? I actually like the idea of these, but curious how that will work out.

You will be able to view the outside with a full "picture window" arrangement that is sealed, or press a button and lower the top part of the window to open up the area like on a traditional balcony railing. You will also be able to open the french doors so the entire room will be open to the sea with the top part of the window lowered, or close off the french doors to create a more traditional balcony setup. I suspect the only way this flexibility can be accomplished is that each stateroom will have it's own A/C system that does not affect neighboring rooms when the doors and window are open.

This might provide a better visual to explain the setup:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/17055477_CEL_EDGE_Infinite_Veranda.pdf

You can have the bifold doors open or closed and have the balcony "window" open or closed. If you had the bifold doors open and balcony window shut, you would essentially have a big room with a floor to ceiling window. Or you can open it up entirely.

I'm sure they've thought of it, you I'm curious to know what would happen if you had the doors and balcony open while the ship was moving. Currently on the traditional design if you have your balcony door open and then open the cabin door, you get the wind tunnel effect that blows all of your stuff around the cabin and slams the cabin door or makes it nearly impossible to open.

This might provide a better visual to explain the setup:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/17055477_CEL_EDGE_Infinite_Veranda.pdf

You can have the bifold doors open or closed and have the balcony "window" open or closed. If you had the bifold doors open and balcony window shut, you would essentially have a big room with a floor to ceiling window. Or you can open it up entirely.

I'm sure they've thought of it, you I'm curious to know what would happen if you had the doors and balcony open while the ship was moving. Currently on the traditional design if you have your balcony door open and then open the cabin door, you get the wind tunnel effect that blows all of your stuff around the cabin and slams the cabin door or makes it nearly impossible to open.

I wonder why you would ever have the bifold doors closed except to have it dark in the room?

There is no way anyone could look into your cabin from next door (at least from the pics I have seen).

What I think everyone needs to remember is that what was introduced were concepts. For example: the drawing shows a piano on the pool deck, which anyone knows would never happen. The MC may stay in its current iteration, but more likely it will be modified in some way (only go from Deck 5 (where the Promenade is) to Deck 2); maybe it won't be so wide and only be a bar, not a restaurant as well. Designers come up with lots of fancy bells and whistles to generate excitement (and BOOKINGS!) but then the engineers get hold of the plans and bring things back to earth.

Another example - the mirrored wall by the pool. Who wants to be sitting in the Caribbean sun under mirrors? No thanks, no melanoma for me today....

Still think that mirrored wall looks suspiciously like a movie screen...

I wonder why you would ever have the bifold doors closed except to have it dark in the room?

There is no way anyone could look into your cabin from next door (at least from the pics I have seen).

Good point. I'm not sure how the shades would work. That link does mention that it will all be automated. I can't imagine them putting some sort of shade over the balcony window itself but time will tell! It's hard to put shades on the folding doors since the entire wall opens up. I would think they would almost have to do some sort of solid shade that retracts from the ceiling to cover those doors.

You will be able to view the outside with a full "picture window" arrangement that is sealed, or press a button and lower the top part of the window to open up the area like on a traditional balcony railing. You will also be able to open the french doors so the entire room will be open to the sea with the top part of the window lowered, or close off the french doors to create a more traditional balcony setup. I suspect the only way this flexibility can be accomplished is that each stateroom will have it's own A/C system that does not affect neighboring rooms when the doors and window are open.

The other way is to link the controls such that door open means window up. Window down requires door to be closed. Otherwise the ship would require a unique air and heat system which depends upon a slight overpressure in each cabin.

The other way is to link the controls such that door open means window up. Window down requires door to be closed. Otherwise the ship would require a unique air and heat system which depends upon a slight overpressure in each cabin.

I'm pretty sure during the presentation one of them said you would be able to open the window and enjoy the fresh air in the whole cabin.