Edge - Magic Carpet

Wayneair

First, let me open with this...Xcellent job Celebrity with the new design. Once again you have out done your competitors serving the premium market. You continue to re-define the term modern luXury. The idea of the "Magic Carpet" is cutting edge and innovative...LOVE IT. My problem is the name. The name sounds like a cheap Vegas show lounge, or a rug cleaner. It's the complete opposite of your brand. Before you get deeper into this, please please consider a name change. Just thinking quickly how about (in no particular order)

1. Ocean's Edge

2. Edge

3. Edge of the Earth

4. Horizon (a tribute to one of your former vessels)

5. The Infinity Deck

Give me a few cocktails and I can get some more. In short, it needs a name that exemplifies your brand. Magic Carpet...cheesy.

Again, great job to your entire design crew.

My second thought ( my first was like yours, what were they thinking?) was, since there's only one, what if it breaks? If it's the only way to come on and off from a tender, what if it gets stuck up on deck five and you're in a tender port?

My third thought was, if it's a specialty restaurant, where is the kitchen?

First, let me open with this...Xcellent job Celebrity with the new design. Once again you have out done your competitors serving the premium market. You continue to re-define the term modern luXury. The idea of the "Magic Carpet" is cutting edge and innovative...LOVE IT. My problem is the name. The name sounds like a cheap Vegas show lounge, or a rug cleaner. It's the complete opposite of your brand. Before you get deeper into this, please please consider a name change. Just thinking quickly how about (in no particular order)

1. Ocean's Edge

2. Edge

3. Edge of the Earth

5. The Infinity Deck

Give me a few cocktails and I can get some more. In short, it needs a name that exemplifies your brand. Magic Carpet...cheesy.

Agree, the Edge fits with the Modern Luxury theme so far, except the Magic Carpet sounds Disney-like - maybe trying to attract younger crowd? Like the concept, not the name.

First, i don't think there's anything objectionable about the name magic carpet. In fact, I think Edge or Ocean's Edge or Edge of the Earth would imply something dangerous or unstable. Whereas naming the ship "Edge" is somewhat better in that it implies "cutting edge", Not so when naming a component.

I am certain they have allowed for tendering the old fashioned way if necessary, There are always back-up plans.

I also read that the restaurant in this particular spot was to be a raw bar.

I've never liked an unbalanced look.

Oasis class has a similar floating restaurant on the interior.

I think it is a suite class perk to get pax from the top to tender boats without the hassle of elevators.

EDGE_zpsskiblhhz.jpg

Once again you have out done your competitors serving the premium market.

From what we have seen so far, IMHO it doesn't look as good as the MSC Mereviglia's concept pictures, so the rest will have to be a fair bit better to live up to your statement

1. Ocean's Edge

2. Edge

3. Edge of the Earth

5. The Infinity Deck

I agree.. Magic Carpet, really? What are we: Aladdin and Jasmine. Change the name.

I love the concept but man that thing is an eyesore. Maybe if it wasn't orange it might "blend" a little more.

I agree... paint it white to blend in not orange to stand out like a sore thumb!

I think it is a suite class perk to get pax from the top to tender boats without the hassle of elevators.

According to the information, Arno, no one can 'ride' the Magic Carpet whilst it's moving. So no travel from top to bottom, suite pax or not - I presume for safety reasons.

According to the information, Arno, no one can 'ride' the Magic Carpet whilst it's moving. So no travel from top to bottom, suite pax or not - I presume for safety reasons.

And privacy for those in the cabins it travels past

One of the videos said that the restaurant would be a different theme each night....barbecue was one that was mentioned.

I got the impression that when it is at one deck, it is subject to be a changing event or theme but then some sort of regular restaurant in the evening. Obviously not clear, but fun to think about. I'm certain they still may not have fully baked all the plans yet.

The fact that it is open and able to float to different decks is intriguing. I hope they don't ruin that by trying to make a serious up charge to enjoy or try to jam services into that don't belong. In a port intensive itinerary requiring tenders, it will see an enormous amount of traffic just from tendering. Therefore, I would imagine, it has to be durably finished and have movable furniture that can be compactly stored. So, it probably won't become an elegant white tablecloth venue in the evening, but likely more casual. Of course my thoughts may be all wet.

I agree about the name. Also wish it wasn't bright orange. Between the car and the track it sticks out like a sore thumb on what appears to be a beautiful ship.

Really wondering how it will be utilized.... how will you know which deck it's on? Will it move with people on it? Assuming if it's hooked up to a restaurant it'll change capacity for reservations and if so, will the know that ahead of time?

Agree that right now it's a fun in the idea stage but I doubt they have full thought it out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree about the name. Also wish it wasn't bright orange. Between the car and the track it sticks out like a sore thumb on what appears to be a beautiful ship.

Really wondering how it will be utilized.... how will you know which deck it's on? Will it move with people on it? Assuming if it's hooked up to a restaurant it'll change capacity for reservations and if so, will the know that ahead of time?

Agree that right now it's a fun in the idea stage but I doubt they have full thought it out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The website makes it very clear that it is not intended to move with people on it. I think it may have to be orange since it is part of the lifeboat tendering system. Just a guess there.

I would imagine the dailies will tell you when and where ti enter if you want to attend an event or restaurant on it.

My second thought ( my first was like yours, what were they thinking?) was, since there's only one, what if it breaks? If it's the only way to come on and off from a tender, what if it gets stuck up on deck five and you're in a tender port?

My third thought was, if it's a specialty restaurant, where is the kitchen?

I would not make the assumption that the MC is the only way to get to a tender(or lifeboat). I'm sure there must be several traditional hatches on the ship. Wouldn't they be needed if it was 'lifeboat time"?